EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

Connecticut Eagle

5 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

Competitive vs. one step away are 2 different things.  There were also many of us on here who knew the absolute disaster that was facing us.  

You expected Carson to be the worst QB in the league and Doug to have his balls surgically removed? Would you mind hooking me up with the winning Powerball numbers this week? I went out to the clubs last week with Dwayne Haskins and I am b-r-o-k-e (and have this mysterious cough and loss of smell and taste....).

• Replies 66.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Saltpeter said:

You expected Carson to be the worst QB in the league and Doug to have his balls surgically removed? Would you mind hooking me up with the winning Powerball numbers this week? I went out to the clubs last week with Dwayne Haskins and I am b-r-o-k-e (and have this mysterious cough and loss of smell and taste....).

Idiot

Just now, Saltpeter said:

No, not at all but there have been quite a few of us who saw this coming and have been discussing it since the old boards.  We went in to 2020 knowing Alshon was out for at least 8 weeks (not PUPing him was stupid).  We knew DJack was going to miss a handful of games...again.  Their backup RB was Boston Scott knowing that Miles Sanders hasn't played a full season yet.

They knew Ertz was unhappy.  They had no plan at CB2.  Their investment in linebacker was about as bare minimum as it gets and they decided to spend their money on DT3.  

Do you think the Eagles will go after Curtis Samuel or who do you think is the most realistic FA option for the Eagles on Offense?

33 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

The complete sucky part is just watching other teams sign players while the Eagles are hand tied.  I think the Patriots paid a TON of money for a handful of very average players.  I honestly don't know what they were thinking.  

I’ve got to say though, having tied hands in some ways is a relief. These teams just can’t help themselves from overpaying for average this time of year and hey, we actually don’t have to worry ourselves about that for one year. 

I was more worried they would actually create more cap room by kicking the can (and tethering to older players) and then go and make dumb signings. 

9 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

No, not at all but there have been quite a few of us who saw this coming and have been discussing it since the old boards.  We went in to 2020 knowing Alshon was out for at least 8 weeks (not PUPing him was stupid).  We knew DJack was going to miss a handful of games...again.  Their backup RB was Boston Scott knowing that Miles Sanders hasn't played a full season yet.

They knew Ertz was unhappy.  They had no plan at CB2.  Their investment in linebacker was about as bare minimum as it gets and they decided to spend their money on DT3.  

I think you're right on all those points. But just how bad it got was a little jarring. That team had 7-9/8-8 written all over it especially once the OL injuries started, but they never should have been a 4 win team.

34 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

Trading for Darius Slay was a mistake.  Giving him the contract was an even bigger one.  IMO, you trade for a guy like Slay when you feel you're one piece away.  Maybe the Eagles thought that and that's an even bigger problem.  Not knowing what you have as a team and misjudging the talent is not good.  

They brought him in at age 30 and gave him an extension with question marks and no plan for CB2 and safety.  I'm a Mills fan but he was an unknown on a 1-year deal.  Avonte Maddox at CB2, give me a break.  The guy got abused when he had to play outside.  

There seems to be zero forward thinking about future ramifications when making moves as of late.  They knew Mills was going to be a FA with no money to spend and no safety in the wings.  They couldn't have honestly thought Maddox was a long term solution at CB2.  They had NRC on a 1-year deal so slot corner was a question mark moving forward.  Yet you bring in Slay and extend him....then you restructure him adding 2 more years to his cap hit.  His game does not translate to safety either.  He's an outside corner so when age catches him, it's going to be noticeable big time.

I don't hate Slay the player.  I hate the thought process behind bringing a player like him to the team they had and what they were/are facing with depleted talent and cap issues.

All of that is true looking back and points directly at the failures of FO and Owner (assuming he is actively involved in personnel).  Our personnel decisions from draft to FA to many extensions/reworks should be questioned....but it also can't be easily fixed with who is involved.

7 minutes ago, Saltpeter said:

I think you're right on all those points. But just how bad it got was a little jarring. That team had 7-9/8-8 written all over it especially once the OL injuries started, but they never should have been a 4 win team.

But 8-8 would have easily won the division, you have Jeffrey and DeSean for the playoffs, Brooks possibly back, anything can happen in the best of all possible worlds.

It's like an addict, hard to go cold turkey and blow it up. If you don't sign Hargrave and trade for Slay, you're pretty much conceding the season so you might as well let everyone walk. That would have been received with great applause by the media and fans.

But notice we had 10 draft picks and ended up with 2 comp picks for 2021. So Howie was hedging his bets.

13 minutes ago, UK Eagle said:

This made me laugh....

Do we know what the current cap position is now? 

The cap doesn't exist.  We are just going to be signing any FA to a 30 year deal.  

Agree completely about Slay.  He was the player they needed in 2018 and 2019.  Traded for him a year too late.  Great player, but another horrible decision and deal done by the clown show.  When you have people that are focused on "value" above all, things are going to be missed.

-----------------

What is this team doing with Zach Ertz?  He is an all time great Eagle.  We know they weren't going to retain him this year, entering the last year of his contract.  He has now missed the onset of FA.  They had better have a deal done for him.  If they decided to screw the guy only to release him later, that is beyond the pale.  He deserves the same respect that JJ Watt got in Houston.

I thought this would have been resolved by now, either with a trade (at least announced - even if it can't be executed yet) or release.

14 minutes ago, austinfan said:

But 8-8 would have easily won the division, you have Jeffrey and DeSean for the playoffs, Brooks possibly back, anything can happen in the best of all possible worlds.

It's like an addict, hard to go cold turkey and blow it up. If you don't sign Hargrave and trade for Slay, you're pretty much conceding the season so you might as well let everyone walk. That would have been received with great applause by the media and fans.

But notice we had 10 draft picks and ended up with 2 comp picks for 2021. So Howie was hedging his bets.

So 8-8 was the goal?  Have our standards dropped that much?  There was ZERO reason to think either DJack or Alshon would produce and not get re-injured.  

If you don't sign Hargrave and trade for Slay you could have signed Robbie Anderson and James Bradberry while saving your 3rd and 5th round picks.  There's no reason to think that couldn't have actually happened because they had the money do do both.  

Also, if you sign Robbie Anderson then you aren't forced to take a WR in round 1. 

Aiming for 8-8 and getting excited about comp picks, geez is that the measuring stick?

2 hours ago, bpac55 said:

Regarding Fitzpatrick going to Washington.  Very smart move on their part.  With that defense, all they need is a game manager and that's exactly what Fitz.  Fitz to Logan Thomas is going to be a big time connection in 2021.

I don't think of Fitzpatrick as a game manager.  He's much more like Nick Foles than a Kirk Cousins or Alex Smith.  I don't know if it's a smart move in the long run because he could make them good enough for the playoffs but not good enough to win anything.   Fitzpatrick has one season where he had a winning record.  He's always been a streaky player.  I think he fits their team but they would be foolish to pass on a QB in the first round.  I would think Trey Lance or Mac Jones should be targets for them.  I do think they should be the favorites in the division.  

5 minutes ago, John_C said:

Agree completely about Slay.  He was the player they needed in 2018 and 2019.  Traded for him a year too late.  Great player, but another horrible decision and deal done by the clown show.  When you have people that are focused on "value" above all, things are going to be missed.

-----------------

What is this team doing with Zach Ertz?  He is an all time great Eagle.  We know they weren't going to retain him this year, entering the last year of his contract.  He has now missed the onset of FA.  They had better have a deal done for him.  If they decided to screw the guy only to release him later, that is beyond the pale.  He deserves the same respect that JJ Watt got in Houston.

I thought this would have been resolved by now, either with a trade (at least announced - even if it can't be executed yet) or release.

I would hope with Ertz they are letting him talk to potential teams and getting a sense of his market.  If there is no communication or they are just trying to leverage some trade, that's entirely unacceptable.  

Is this the first time in Fitzpatrick’s career that he has actually gone somewhere with the actual plan of being the guy?  Kind of fascinating.

41 minutes ago, UK Eagle said:

This made me laugh....

Do we know what the current cap position is now? 

I think we will be about 5 million over, based on the reports

9 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

Is this the first time in Fitzpatrick’s career that he has actually gone somewhere with the actual plan of being the guy?  Kind of fascinating.

Fitz is the man. He is in the same spot as Cam Newton, placeholder while they draft and develop the future of the franchise

2 minutes ago, metal said:

Patriots going apesh--t

Damn 😮 I see lots of two TE sets in their future

51 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

Yup, the plan at secondary and LB was bad from the start.

I mean to start the season the green dot LB was freaking Nate Gerry🤔

The plan in the secondary was to have mcleod coming of serious injury be the glue move an unproven mills to safety and have a circus midget at CB2 and some how a 30 year old corner  would make up the difference 

While I don't mind hargrave paying big money to a rotational DT when LB and the secondary is in shamble is a gross mis use of resources.

Now Mcleod is a year older and was nothing to brag about last year, maddox should be moved to nickel where he was awful the year before or even safety where he'd be even more undersized.

Who knows what they're doing at the other safety and who knows what they do at LB.

At DLine you have graham cox and hargrave as starters and then who knows, barnett is up in the air, sweat isn't a starter behind them there's what???

Howie grossly mismanaged the roster last year which has only gotten worse this year and like you said a lot of people saw this before last year.

Fitzpatrick isn’t going to hold down that starting job for WFT past Week 6; he never does.  He’ll look excellent for 2-3 weeks, then he’ll start tossing up INT like Santa gives out toys.

Rivera seems to like Kyle Allen for some reason.  Allen will be in there early, just like Foles over Trubisky last year in CHI.  Just like the Bears last season, it’ll be a question of how long Allen can keep the job before he gets injured/benched for Fitz.

4 minutes ago, Utebird said:

Howie grossly mismanaged the roster last year which has only gotten worse this year and like you said a lot of people saw this before last year.

everyone but howie

Archived