Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

The Eagles Message Board

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

Featured Replies

7 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

Ill probably never figure out why people think its worth complaining about 1 year deals for a team not expected to compete this season.

Im having a hard time caring about who they sign, or dont sign this year. As long as its a 1 year deal, I dont care the price. This year doesnt matter. What matters most is regaining cap flexibility. Which is what the Harris, and Flacco deals will allow.

 

Well, all 1-year deals they sign affect next year's cap. No money to roll-over. 

  • Replies 66.6k
  • Views 3.1m
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • Know Life
    Know Life

    I turned 38 today and have lost 52lbs since February. I’m very rarely ever proud of myself, but I’m feeling pretty proud today and thought I’d share. Carry on.

  • At this point, I’d like to see a former HC on the staff, but the biggest coaching news left is whether Stout stays.  BOOOOOOOOM

Posted Images

15 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

Ill probably never figure out why people think its worth complaining about 1 year deals for a team not expected to compete this season.

Im having a hard time caring about who they sign, or dont sign this year. As long as its a 1 year deal, I dont care the price. This year doesnt matter. What matters most is regaining cap flexibility. Which is what the Harris, and Flacco deals will allow.

 

I'm in the same boat. I'm usually optimistic going into each season, but when the owner of the team even admits that they are in a rebuild, I don't know how you can ignore that. This is a 5-6 win team at best. Maybe 7 if Hurts absolutely balls out and is a legit QB. They have one of the weaker rosters in the league, specifically on defense and the good players that they do have in Lane, Brooks, Kelce, Cox, and Graham are all older and will probably miss time due to injuries. As well as many others if the injury trend continues. 

Just now, beto_eagles said:

Well, all 1-year deals they sign affect next year's cap. No money to roll-over. 

they were over 70M over the cap. they cleared a little space but have roster spots to fill. There was never going to be cap space to roll over next year either. Space will be cleared when these 1 year deals expire. Thats the only way they can create more flexibility for next year. 

3 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

 

If you don’t believe Doug had any say in draft choices — who do you think chose Wentz at #2?  Did Pederson have any input?  You can’t have it both ways — if the Eagles spent a #2 overall on Wentz with any input from Doug, then Doug sure as hell had input on the #53 overall pick.

Every so often, people just agree.  Even Howie and Chip were on the same page when it all started.

Wentz was a big arm talent and an engaging personality in an interview.  Howie found a creative way to get to #2.  I'm sure Lurie, Howie, and Doug were all on board with that.  

4 years later, drafting Hurts at #53 with the associated shock and controversy...there's no way Doug and Howie both just independently backed that.

Just now, HazletonEagle said:

they were over 70M over the cap. they cleared a little space but have roster spots to fill. There was never going to be cap space to roll over next year either. Space will be cleared when these 1 year deals expire. Thats the only way they can create more flexibility for next year. 

They could have signed someone for the veteran minimum and it wouldn't count against the cap. With this signing, I guess they will have to restructure someone else to make room for all rookies. 

29 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

None of those guys are wired into NovaCare; they’re national media covering all 32 teams.  
 

I’ll take the word of two NFL QBs who are friends of Pederson, who spoke with him personally over guys who are reporting 3rd-hand information 

I wouldn’t say just because Doug told them he would go with Hurts makes it a Doug pick. He could have said "sure, I’ll go with Hurts as QB1” but drew the line when it came to his coaching staff. 

15 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

Ill probably never figure out why people think its worth complaining about 1 year deals for a team not expected to compete this season.

Im having a hard time caring about who they sign, or dont sign this year. As long as its a 1 year deal, I dont care the price. This year doesnt matter. What matters most is regaining cap flexibility. Which is what the Harris, and Flacco deals will allow.

 

I guarantee you the Harris and Flacco deals will affect next years cap

1 minute ago, beto_eagles said:

They could have signed someone for the veteran minimum and it wouldn't count against the cap. With this signing, I guess they will have to restructure someone else to make room for all rookies. 

The NFL doesnt have a soft cap. They cant go over the cap by signing vet minimum deals. 

7 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

Every so often, people just agree.  Even Howie and Chip were on the same page when it all started.

Wentz was a big arm talent and an engaging personality in an interview.  Howie found a creative way to get to #2.  I'm sure Lurie, Howie, and Doug were all on board with that.  

4 years later, drafting Hurts at #53 with the associated shock and controversy...there's no way Doug and Howie both just independently backed that.

I would like to point out that as a narrative I did not say. All I said was if you believe doug was the exclusive reason they made that pick that is BS. Did Doug have some say on that pick? Probably. Did they listen to him about him liking Jalen hurts? Probably. However I’m betting you Jeffrey lurie and Howie Roseman also love Jalen hurts so they were on board when he said that to them. It wasn’t oh my God doug loves hurts and doug says we have to draft him so let’s go out to draft him.  

Just now, LeanMeanGM said:

I guarantee you the Harris and Flacco deals will affect next years cap

In a positive way- as in, theyll be off the books and we will have that much more space available.

Just now, HazletonEagle said:

In a positive way- as in, theyll be off the books and we will have that much more space available.

No, as in they probably have dummy years attached to lower the cap hit this year and they take dead money next year 

4 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

The NFL doesnt have a soft cap. They cant go over the cap by signing vet minimum deals. 

 

3 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

In a positive way- as in, theyll be off the books and we will have that much more space available.

Man, I don't think you understand that well how the cap works. Me neither, but I know that any money they use this year (unless it's for the veteran minimum) will affect next year. 

3.5 million is not veteran minimum BTW. 

13 minutes ago, beto_eagles said:

Well, all 1-year deals they sign affect next year's cap. No money to roll-over. 

Not only that, but Flacco does little to help the on-field product and he doesn’t have a chance to be part of the next winning window. 

It’s largely a waste of money for a team that admits it’s in a rebuild. 

If we had $20M in cap space so be it. But we cleared cap space (by eating future cap space) to sign a backup QB. 

47 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

Doug told both Brett Favre and Troy Aikman after the season his plan was to continue with Hurts as the starting QB.  His immediate reaction when the Hurts pick was made showed very clearly he was delighted with the pick 

 

 

Well I can't blame him for wanting to go with Hurts going forward after last season with how awful Wentz was and how he would refuse to practice certian plays and blow off coaches critiques. 

2 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

No, as in they probably have dummy years attached to lower the cap hit this year and they take dead money next year 

They probably dont.

14 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

I wouldn’t say just because Doug told them he would go with Hurts makes it a Doug pick. He could have said "sure, I’ll go with Hurts as QB1” but drew the line when it came to his coaching staff. 

There is also the possibility he said that because he knew the Eagles wanted to go with wentz and he didn’t care if you have a job anymore because he was tired of being with the Eagles and undermined. There was also that report that came out from Doug’s camp twice he was ok not being here anymore and i believe favre also alluded to that.

additionally the report from Aikman was he thought doug preferred to go with hurts and that’s why he got fired. He never said Doug told him that’s the reason. He thinks that’s why. Meanwhile favre has said that doug was Ok in being let go and not wanting to be there anymore. So giving them a BS list of coaches and saying I wanna go with hurt you don’t think that could play into the factor of him trying to get out of here

 

1 minute ago, HazletonEagle said:

They probably dont.

But we attached dummy years to other restructures just to waste money on Flacco. Either way, we’re robbing Peter to pay Flacco. 

54 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

I think this is a move to solidify Hurts as the starter.  Bring in an older guy who hasn’t started for a couple of years and is pretty much a journeyman at this point.

I do agree with your other point regarding Hurts, though — I’m also convinced it was a Doug pick, under the recommendation of Weidl 

Yeah I get it but why double Flacco’s salary unless they think he is capable of being a starter? Are they that incompetent? 

3 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

They probably dont.

They didn’t even have $3.5M in cap space before signing him 

 

Just now, LeanMeanGM said:

They didn’t even have $3.5M in cap space before signing him 

every year people try to pin down how much cap room we have and every year its proven no one has any idea thats even close.

I just hope Malik Hooker signs for something outrageous because if he signs like a 1 year $3.5M deal, what are we even doing anymore 

Just now, HazletonEagle said:

 

every year people try to pin down how much cap room we have and every year its proven no one has any idea thats even close.

It was the NFLPA that said it, I’d say they have a good idea 

1 minute ago, HazletonEagle said:

 

every year people try to pin down how much cap room we have and every year its proven no one has any idea thats even close.

That’s literally what the NFLPA released. 

3 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

 

But we attached dummy years to other restructures just to waste money on Flacco. Either way, we’re robbing Peter to pay Flacco. 

thats true. And yet, theres probably no other player signing for this amount of money that we would want to sign for a long term deal anyway. Its better that we just signed someone to a 1 year deal. Regardless of how we got that money. Regardless of what his salary is. The damage is being minimized right now with 1 year deals. This is the only way we will free up resources in the near future to begin a true rebuild.

Just now, LeanMeanGM said:

I just hope Malik Hooker signs for something outrageous because if he signs like a 1 year $3.5M deal, what are we even doing anymore 

Gannon was there with him. If he didn’t want Hooker, I’m inclined to trust him. 

1 minute ago, LeanMeanGM said:

I just hope Malik Hooker signs for something outrageous because if he signs like a 1 year $3.5M deal, what are we even doing anymore 

It was the NFLPA that said it, I’d say they have a good idea 

they dont. every year its proven no one knows. 

Account

Navigation

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.