EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

Connecticut Eagle

1 hour ago, TEW said:

Strongly disagree.

There are plenty of coaches who are hard headed and will purposely choose plays that do not maximize their best players. It's no different than gamblers who have a particular "strategy" and continue to lose money. Hell, Andy Reid had a hard time calling runs for Buck and Westbrook when Todd Pinkston was his best WR.

Doug saw that the four deep was a cover 3 killer, but couldn't adjust to his personnel (raw WRs, makeshift OL).

Indy does a great job of getting production out of mediocre skill people through scheming. Made it work with three different QBs.

The difference is Siri is going to look at Sanders, Scott, Watkins and Reagor and get them the ball in space with forward momentum. The play I hate is the dump off to a RB who is stationary allowing the defense to react and attack him. Same with the receiver running to a spot and stopping. You want to design plays where the receiver is in motion and the ball is placed where he can keep running - and you want to do so in a few seconds so the OL doesn't have to sustain blocks. Then you build your deep options off those plays.

• Replies 66.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, ManuManu said:

I haven’t even watched him, I don’t think. The scouting reports I’ve read are underwhelming compared to others were talking about picking. 

I mean look I am absolutely no draft expert and I've not watched a ton on him either. I've watched YouTube clips of him (for what that's worth) and I've read the scouting reports. I just don't like the lack of production. He has the tools for sure but if he's not racking up the sack numbers in college then I can't see him doing so in the NFL. A second round pick? Sure that's fine but at #12? Or even after a little trade back? No thanks, not for me.

6 hours ago, Iggles_Phan said:

He completes passes at a ratio of less than 2:1 with his rushing attempts.   By comparison, Lawrence is roughly 4:1 completions to rushes.   Haskins at OSU was nearly 5:1.   I just don't see it with Fields.    That said... I don't see it with the others that are ahead of him either.   I just don't see this as a very good QB draft.

Agreed, lots of overhyped names and flash.  I think Wilson has a bit of a Josh Allen vibe to him and could pan out as the best of the bunch.  The Mac Jones, 1st round non-sense is crazy as well.  He's essentially AJ McCarron IMO.  

19 minutes ago, Wentz_Era said:

Agreed, lots of overhyped names and flash.  I think Wilson has a bit of a Josh Allen vibe to him and could pan out as the best of the bunch.  The Mac Jones, 1st round non-sense is crazy as well.  He's essentially AJ McCarron IMO.  

I think Wilson has a better arm than Allen (not to say Allen has a bad arm) but yeah I mean he could well be the best in this draft. I'm just not taken by Lawrence like others are. 

8 hours ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

You will know.  When it’s announced on TV. That minute or two is that important?   You can’t wait?

Safety!   

Is the minute or two that important for you?  What's the difference if we all know on the board before espn or nfln reports it. We get twitter crap posted all the time on here before it's announced other places and I for one like it. Yes, I want to know what players my team are getting as soon as possible. I've expressed my feelings on this and so have you, so good enough, yes?

4 hours ago, austinfan said:

Oh, come on. That was the 1st round, Doug wouldn't have been talking in generalities. He'd been lobbying for the player he wanted. Yes, Howie should have told him to stuff it, but Lurie probably wasn't ready to fire Doug, because if Lurie supports Doug making one more run, Howie gets Doug what he wants. And if Lurie doesn't support Doug, then Howie would have fired Doug. Howie has admitted he should have rebuilt after 2019, but if the owner (see Snider) isn't ready to bite the bullet (rebuild), the GM has little choice but to get the HC what he asks for. I think Lurie standing behind Howie is his way of saying "it was all my fault."

And yes, HCs get input, HCs with "pull" get their input ranked higher than scouts. Doug had pull b/c of the SB, I mean we still have people here complaining that they fired the SB winning coach. When Lowie announced they were rebuilding, the scouts now ranked higher than the HC and the SB was considered "history."

No matter how you want to slice it, Howie ultimately is the decision maker. He didn’t see Jefferson becoming what he was. If he did, he’d be an Eagle. Blame Doug all you want, but Howie building the slowest offense in the NFL led to the moment. The missed evaluation of Jefferson was the exclamation point. 

37 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

I like a lot of the players here, but that would be underwhelming. 

It is...

Interesting OL, and DT. 

Adebo as the top CB could be disastrous. And I don't see a need for a nickel CB drafted when we have Maddox. There are always cheap ones to sign if needed too. I'm only interested in drafting outside CBs this year unless it's a star like the OSU kid. 

Turner in round 2 feels a bit early. 

39 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

I like a lot of the players here, but that would be underwhelming. 

I would actually be ok with this... elite difference maker at the top followed by potential starters on both lines and a CB that may also be a starter.

3 minutes ago, John_C said:

I would actually be ok with this... elite difference maker at the top followed by potential starters on both lines and a CB that may also be a starter.

Turner at 37 would be disappointing considering his injury history. That’s probably the highest I’ve seen the ND OL drafted.

I’m too the point where I’d be happy with any of Horn, Surtain, Smith, Waddle, or Parsons at 12. Don’t screw it up Howie!!! I also think we trade back into round 1 later in the night.

Another scenario just popped in my head.

Today or tomorrow the Eagles announce they signed Corey Clement to a 1-year deal.  Thus thinking they have a full RB room, they ignore the position and only bring a UDFA RB.

Reporters ask Howie why they didn't address RB during the draft and he says well we brought back Corey who as you know was huge in SB52.

7 hours ago, ManuManu said:

"Another thing we like to do is get the ball to our players within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage, get the ball to our players running," Sirianni said. 

Depending on the coverage, it’s hard to get much separation within 5 yards of the los , it’s also when the DBs can be aggressive , I’m  guessing QB should have a quick release , and lots of 3 step drops

16 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

No. Howie isn’t the ultimate decision maker.  Lurie is.  And that’s been made a little more apparent as of late.  

In the draft? Nah. That’s on Howie for letting it get to the point where Lurie could serve as a tiebreaker. A debate between Campbell and JJAW never should have occurred while on the clock. That’s the point of having a board. 

1 hour ago, ManuManu said:

No matter how you want to slice it, Howie ultimately is the decision maker. He didn’t see Jefferson becoming what he was. If he did, he’d be an Eagle. Blame Doug all you want, but Howie building the slowest offense in the NFL led to the moment. The missed evaluation of Jefferson was the exclamation point. 

Wow.  And that's coming from a guy that was not on the Jefferson bandwagon leading up to the draft.   

Needless to say, I agree 100%.   Howie is either the boss with the GM title, or he's merely a lackey for Lurie.   

"All problems become smaller if you don't dodge them, but confront them."  - Adm. William "Bill" Halsey.

Howie has spent a career dodging everything.  And where has it brought us?  To the worst cap and talent situation (combined) of any team in the NFL.   Forced to trade the QB they traded up and were supposedly going to be building around... only to fail to do so.   To draft a QB a round too early, forcing them to make him the starter by default (always the best way to find a starting QB), but keep the door open to get another one in another year.  An aging defense, to match with an aging OL, and a complete void of talent on the back 7, complete void of talent at the WR position, and a long trail of missed opportunities to add talent...   but at least the scouting department knew who were the good players were that were off the board before the Eagles got a chance to pick.    Would be better if they could have identified some good players that were actually ON the board at that time, but that might be asking too much from a glorified accountant/lawyer.

Can anyone tell me who to follow on twitter to get the info of  who the pick is before it's announced? No I won't post it on here if that's what the "majority" wants.

19 minutes ago, greend said:

Can anyone tell me who to follow on twitter to get the info of  who the pick is before it's announced? No I won't post it on here if that's what the "majority" wants.

The big national media names and McLane. 

19 minutes ago, greend said:

@Don Corleone   He's the master.

Since Roseman was restored to power as GM in 2016, the Eagles have drafted 36 players. Only two of the 36 have started 16 games in a season: Carson Wentz in 2016 and 2019 and Isaac Seumalo in 2019.

Just now, bpac55 said:

Since Roseman was restored to power as GM in 2016, the Eagles have drafted 36 players. Only two of the 36 have started 16 games in a season: Carson Wentz in 2016 and 2019 and Isaac Seumalo in 2019.

Wow! And how many of those players are still with the team? And how many of those players have been to the pro bowl? The list probably shortens to 1 or zero at that point...

Per espn

And another key piece returns for the #Buccaneers. The team has agreed to a deal to bring back WR Antonio Brown, Brown’s agent @ed_waz of @EMGSportsAgents tells me.

Tom Brady petitioned for Brown to join him in Tampa and wanted him back. Brady gets his wish.

1 minute ago, ManuManu said:

2 guys I like , both getting some love late in the process

Yesterday, I mentioned Davis Mills as the fastest rising player on draft boards. If there is an equivalent on defense, it would be Houston defensive lineman Payton Turner. Turner is coming off a terrific senior season as well as three good days of practice at the Senior Bowl. Most who I’ve spoken with tell me Turner will be selected ahead of Miami’s Gregory Rousseau, and he has an outside shot of landing in the late part of Round 1.

Archived