EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

Connecticut Eagle

6 minutes ago, pgcd3 said:

I stopped watching the draft years ago. The constant chatter in all the dead time is annoying to me.  I just follow it online. Twitter & espn.com & nfl.com

Nerds GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

• Replies 66.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, ToastJenkins said:

i like digging on twitter after the pick for all that analysis. but i want the suspense of seeing it announced. maybe i am just old 

I know what my problem is... 
150408072206-directv-rob-lowe-ad-780x439

I still have cable.

Just now, 4for4EaglesNest said:

I agree that this draft in general is devoid of top talent.  That’s why the trade down was so big for us. And the potential for the 2022 draft can be huge.  

Agreend.

Anyone else see this leaked tweet that was retracted? May be late on this but whatever:

image.jpeg.f16564e08726f698e52621f7ef8cf2dc.jpeg

1 minute ago, eaglesflyers#1 said:

Anyone else see this leaked tweet that was retracted? May be late on this but whatever:

image.jpeg.f16564e08726f698e52621f7ef8cf2dc.jpeg

It was a fake. 

3 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

I agree that this draft in general is devoid of top talent.  That’s why the trade down was so big for us. And the potential for the 2022 draft can be huge.  

I think hindsight will show a fair share of players who turn into studs from this draft.  It’s just especially tricky to figure out which ones are which this year.

A lot of talk here about Nico but I really like Seth Williams as a potential mid-round X.  6 foot 3 and 211 pounds.  Very good athlete.  Thoughts on him?

3 guys I’d like to come out of this draft with

Parsons

Trey Smith

St-Juste

57 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

heres my plan. Im gonna watch on ESPN, and on twitter. And Im going to react when I see the pick. But without giving away exactly what the pick was. No one complained about spoiling it last year and thats what I did. And others did as well. Ill enjoy it my way and everyone else can enjoy it how they want to. And TJ can go cry in TATE if he doesnt like it.

So Thurs night we can expect you to post something like "WHAT THE F?  ARE YOU Fing KIDDING ME WITH THIS ISH?!!!"

:roll:

25 minutes ago, garingovt2000 said:

A lot of talk here about Nico but I really like Seth Williams as a potential mid-round X.  6 foot 3 and 211 pounds.  Very good athlete.  Thoughts on him?

Looks dominant at times. Doesn’t separate. If Sirianni wants to get the ball to his receivers in the first 5 yards I don’t see a fit. 

This is the first year that I can remember that (almost) the entire fan base, in unison, is just expecting Howie to botch the picks.

Naturally, this will be the year they get rookies to have an impact early.  They'll get a WR to have a Reggie Brown/Jordan Matthews-like rookie year.  They'll also get either a DL to ring up about 6-8 sacks or a starting CB.  Then the hype will re-inflate the sails.  Howie figured it out.  

And then he'll draft 3 complete busts in round 1 2022.

2 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

Looks dominant at times. Doesn’t separate. If Sirianni wants to get the ball to his receivers in the first 5 yards I don’t see a fit. 

I have no idea what Sirianni wants, but I hate coaches who emphasize these sorts of things.

The goal is to consistently score at will.  That means you need to have WRs who can make plays and YAC when you get the ball to them in the first 5 years.  That also means you need to have WRs who can run under an accurately thrown ball 40 yards downfield.  That also means you need WR's/TE's who generate chunk separation in the middle of the field.

Horizontal offense, vertical offense, tiered concepts, slot/TEs emphasizing the middle of the field...you need to be able to be any one of those offenses on any Sunday based on what the defense is giving you.  That's how you score 40 points per game.

I think it's funny when people say Sirianni, or any coach, wants to do this or that on offense. All coaches want to get the ball in their playmakers' hands. It's not like some coaches are going to pass on that idea. Siri just did a film study interview with those plays and people assume it's the core of his offensive philosophy. 

1 minute ago, schuy7 said:

I think it's funny when people say Sirianni, or any coach, wants to do this or that on offense. All coaches want to get the ball in their playmakers' hands. It's not like some coaches are going to pass on that idea. Siri just did a film study interview with those plays and people assume it's the core of his offensive philosophy. 

Didn’t he specifically say that he wants to get the ball in receivers’ hands in the first 5 yards? Seems like it would be kind of important to him. 

5 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

I have no idea what Sirianni wants, but I hate coaches who emphasize these sorts of things.

The goal is to consistently score at will.  That means you need to have WRs who can make plays and YAC when you get the ball to them in the first 5 years.  That also means you need to have WRs who can run under an accurately thrown ball 40 yards downfield.  That also means you need WR's/TE's who generate chunk separation in the middle of the field.

Horizontal offense, vertical offense, tiered concepts, slot/TEs emphasizing the middle of the field...you need to be able to be any one of those offenses on any Sunday based on what the defense is giving you.  That's how you score 40 points per game.

It’s not like he isn’t going to scheme up shot plays. As a former WR coach, I take it to mean he wants good route runners and separators. That isn’t Williams. 

2 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

Didn’t he specifically say that he wants to get the ball in receivers’ hands in the first 5 yards? Seems like it would be kind of important to him. 

Maybe he did, but it's not like he's going to have any new plays that the NFL hasn't seen. All teams are trying to do the same things for the most part.

Plus, an offense that over-relies on that kind of passing offense will end up like the Steelers did last year. It becomes too easy for defenses to defend.

Just now, schuy7 said:

Maybe he did, but it's not like he's going to have any new plays that the NFL hasn't seen. All teams are trying to do the same things for the most part.

Plus, an offense that over-relies on that kind of passing offense will end up like the Steelers did last year. It becomes too easy for defenses to defend.

But not all teams put the same emphasis on it. 

Reich called the plays, but... The Colts ranked fourth in the league this past season in yards after the catch. They also ranked eighth in screen attempts.

8 minutes ago, schuy7 said:

Doug desperately wanted the ball in Wards hands for some reason. 

"Another thing we like to do is get the ball to our players within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage, get the ball to our players running," Sirianni said. 

Sirianni just wants to be competitive bro and if you aren’t competitive in Rock Paper Scissors it’s over man... 

Bottom line is despite our JFC, WTF and Fire Howies, after the picks those players are Eagles, part of our team and we have to hope they succeed and excel. I could care less if a pick is "spoiled” here or not. 

56 minutes ago, schuy7 said:

Strongly disagree.

There are plenty of coaches who are hard headed and will purposely choose plays that do not maximize their best players. It's no different than gamblers who have a particular "strategy" and continue to lose money. Hell, Andy Reid had a hard time calling runs for Buck and Westbrook when Todd Pinkston was his best WR.

Took a deeper dive into positions and I really think they are likely to be more aggressive in addressing the DL in this draft than the OL. The draft is about future needs as much as current but the OL is actually in decent shape.

Brooks, Lane, and Seumalo give you 3/5 of a good starting OL for the next couple to few years, with Kelce at center for at least one more year. I'd have to imagine they are going to at least go into next season with Mailata and Dillard competing for the LT spot and feeling decent about one of them working out long term. Driscoll looks a potential future starter at G or at the very least a high end backup who can play multiple decisions.

DE is a massive question mark for 2022 and they could use some depth right now. They don't have a good 4th DE right now. Sweat is awesome as a 3rd DE/situational pass rusher but with his knees you likely have to keep him in that role. Barnett has been a disappointment and is on one year deal. Brandon Graham is 33 years old. The Eagles also like to have a good 3rd DT and Fletcher Cox is turning 31 during the season.

Obviously value will play a huge role in everything they do and they have needs everywhere. If we are being honest though the DL is in need of some youth, depth, and upgrades more than the OL.

5 hours ago, ManuManu said:

The best is him trying to say Doug wanted more say in personnel. Literally every coach tells the GM the things he thinks his offense needs. The same goes for OC/DC. 

This wasn’t some power struggle. This was Doug saying the offense was too slow and he wanted more speed. That doesn’t mean Doug said "eff your scouts, bring me Reagor.” It was more like "we’re too slow on offense. We need more speed.” They (not just Doug) had concerns that Jefferson wasn’t an outside receiver.

Oh, come on. That was the 1st round, Doug wouldn't have been talking in generalities. He'd been lobbying for the player he wanted. Yes, Howie should have told him to stuff it, but Lurie probably wasn't ready to fire Doug, because if Lurie supports Doug making one more run, Howie gets Doug what he wants. And if Lurie doesn't support Doug, then Howie would have fired Doug. Howie has admitted he should have rebuilt after 2019, but if the owner (see Snider) isn't ready to bite the bullet (rebuild), the GM has little choice but to get the HC what he asks for. I think Lurie standing behind Howie is his way of saying "it was all my fault."

And yes, HCs get input, HCs with "pull" get their input ranked higher than scouts. Doug had pull b/c of the SB, I mean we still have people here complaining that they fired the SB winning coach. When Lowie announced they were rebuilding, the scouts now ranked higher than the HC and the SB was considered "history."

Archived