EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

Connecticut Eagle

52 minutes ago, austinfan said:

It's not really religious, though the ending is uplifting, but more about a religious man and how his faith led him to the "path of righteousness."

It's also educational in that for Americans, it makes it clear that Atlantic slavery was far more than just the American South.

And in a sense it's a prequel to Armistead, explaining why the British navy was involved in West Africa.

The history of the slave trade is so poorly studied.  No study is complete without understanding the role of the Portuguese and the west African kingdoms or understanding that slaves didn’t just trade westward but heavily eastward as well.  

• Replies 66.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

I wish your friend good luck.  Make no mistake, age discrimination is rampant in our society.  There is even a bit of diversity discrimination combined with it.  I had a peer who was close to my age and black and female.  She use to joke with me that she was the trifecta and me, I was just old.  She would be the first one to tell you that I had a much broader level of expertise and experience but that in the end, that may not matter.  She was highly skilled and a hiring manager got more diversity in his group with her.   You know there are folks out there that say, well with Joe I get five maybe seven more years and I already have old white men.  While Anne has less experience, if she delivers what I think she can, I could have her for a decade and she might replace me when I retire.  On top of that she adds to the diversity of our group and adds a different perspective.  She may only provide 80% o wha Joe can right now but I can live with that and I can probably hire her at 65% of what it would cost for Joe.  That’s age discrimination clear and simple and it is not actionable nor prove able.  

I turned 56, was laid off b/c my boss was a fool and ignored my advice and our 12 person firm became a 2 person firm in two years.

I thought with a great resume, it would only take a few months, instead a decade later, over 500 job applications, house gone, savings depleted, waiting for SS since they raised the age for my tranche of the baby boom.

I couldn't even get more than a couple interviews, much less a job. Show you're current? How about a series of heavily downloaded working papers, co-author a paper in a professional journal in the field, and a seminal book?

All that got me was some consulting work for a couple years.

My advice to anyone approaching 50 is assume you'll be laid off by 60 (a recession every decade and you'll be the first to go) and you'll never make the kind of money you're currently making again.

Thought it was me until I did research, 50+% of men over 50 get laid off at some point, and only 10% ever make similar money again. Age discrimination is ubiquitous, in business, academia, law and consulting - and forget a government job, the ten point preference for current federal employees and veterans makes that impossible. It's the dirty secret that all those ads about your great retirement hide - maybe 10-20% will remain employed long enough to avoid tapping into their retirement savings (try buying health insurance when you're 60, at least Obama Care has helped a little). Even law partners have been pushed to the street in droves the last decade.

26 minutes ago, lornemalvo4133 said:

Anyone else surprised that the Sirianni hire has yet to be announced by the team? 

No. Disturbed by the continuing level of secrecy by the Eagles, yes.  Chance of open TC stays at 0%. I blame Howie. 

8 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

The history of the slave trade is so poorly studied.  No study is complete without understanding the role of the Portuguese and the west African kingdoms or understanding that slaves didn’t just trade westward but heavily eastward as well.  

Indeed, and sadly, so many people see the slave trade as a thing of the distant past.  The reality, is very different.

2 hours ago, HazletonEagle said:

We all saw what happened to ferris. He went to the combine,  worked out as a CB, and never even got a call.  Cause he's white. 

Facts, I could have turned out a better product on the field than Maxwell did too at a fraction of the cost.

16 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

100% this specific hire was for Wentz 

16 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

I think Joe Banner has shown how out of touch he is with the current Eagles organization yet continues to,crave relevance that is only a mirage to everyone else.

20 minutes ago, DawkinsOwnage03 said:

100% this specific hire was for Wentz 

Wentz was going to get another season in any case, I mean do you think the odds of Fields succeeding are any higher than Wentz bouncing back?

Had they hired a defensive HC, then the focus would have been on the right OC/QB coach combo. And it still will, because they have to develop a QB like any team that doesn't have a franchise QB. It could be Wentz this season, Hurts next season or a draft pick two years from now.

I think one thing driving Sirianni is that he's got a really good track record of developing WRs, him and Reich game plan to protect their QBs, and if you have Stoutland, that pairing sets you up to build an offense without throwing a lot of 1st rd picks at it. That is, build the OL, coach up your WRs and put your QB in a position to succeed.

56 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

Because Lurie said so, Joe. 

20 minutes ago, austinfan said:

Wentz was going to get another season in any case, I mean do you think the odds of Fields succeeding are any higher than Wentz bouncing back?

Had they hired a defensive HC, then the focus would have been on the right OC/QB coach combo. And it still will, because they have to develop a QB like any team that doesn't have a franchise QB. It could be Wentz this season, Hurts next season or a draft pick two years from now.

I think one thing driving Sirianni is that he's got a really good track record of developing WRs, him and Reich game plan to protect their QBs, and if you have Stoutland, that pairing sets you up to build an offense without throwing a lot of 1st rd picks at it. That is, build the OL, coach up your WRs and put your QB in a position to succeed.

Sirianni seems to be highly focused on the offensive line giving his QB time to throw...and the timing involved, etc.  If that doesn't scream, "This guy is getting hired to help Wentz" I'm not sure what does. 

6 hours ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

I’d rather draft a corner in the top 10 over a WR, TE or RB.  

TE and RB I agree.  WR depends on who it is.  

Would you be comfortable taking Surtain at 6?

55 minutes ago, Sack that QB said:

Not sure if this is a shot at the Texans, the Eagles, or both, but..

That's just Riddick getting attention.  And he wonders why he doesn't have a chance at an NFL GM position. 

57 minutes ago, Sack that QB said:

Not sure if this is a shot at the Texans, the Eagles, or both, but..

Bowles had his chance. Lynn had his chance. McDaniels had his chance. Frazier had his chance. Daboll turned down a chance. 

1 hour ago, ManuManu said:

lol it also doesnt change the answers to those questions, clearly wentz has the best chances for success, based on previous seasons.   youd have to have been in a coma from 2016 through 2019 to not know this.

11 minutes ago, Ace Nova said:

Sirianni seems to be highly focused on the offensive line giving his QB time to throw...and the timing involved, etc.  If that doesn't scream, "This guy is getting hired to help Wentz" I'm not sure what does. 

yeah god forbid we hire someone who is good at qb play and development, why would we want that? We should hire someone who sucks at it.

1 hour ago, BigEFly said:

I think Joe Banner has shown how out of touch he is with the current Eagles organization yet continues to,crave relevance that is only a mirage to everyone else.

That last tweet though is great though. Covers all the bases, no matter what they do, he's right.

11 minutes ago, schuy7 said:

I'd be really surprised if the Jets take a QB in round one.

Was a report when i was listening on Sirius after saleh was hired that LaFleur and Kyle shanahan really liked Sam darnold and were thinking about trading for him this offseason before he went to the Jets. So i wouldn’t be surprised if they go darnold. 

13 minutes ago, greendestiny27 said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nfl.com/_amp/daniel-jeremiah-2021-nfl-mock-draft-1-0-zach-wilson-to-jets

Trevor Lawrence

Zach Wilson

Ja'Marr Chase

Trey Lance

Rashawn Slater

Eagles - Patrick Surtain

DeVonta Smith

Justin Fields 

Caleb Farley

Cowboys - Penei Sewell

Giants - Jaylen Waddle

Boring rather have Sewell if we can’t get Chase

16 minutes ago, Ipiggles said:

yeah god forbid we hire someone who is good at qb play and development, why would we want that? We should hire someone who sucks at it.

I'm sure we would want that.  I just don't think it will make a difference.  Wentz is as broken as broken can be and has sunk this franchise.  They just keep digging themselves into a bigger hole the more they stick with him.   But they made their bed, they've been sleeping in it...and they are going to sleep in it for at least 1 more losing season.  

Archived