Eagles players, coaches were shocked by Doug Pederson’s QB switch, resulting in sideline confrontations

Talonblood

7 minutes ago, toolg said:

I feel the worst for Sudfeld. To think everyone - across the NFL, other coaches, media, fans, and his entire team playing alongside - had no faith in him to win the game.  

Agree. And where was the outrage earlier this season when the Broncos decided to play a game without a QB when their QBs were under COVID protocol earlier in the week?

19 minutes ago, jsdarkstar said:

So by inserting Sudfeld means we were tanking? I didn't now the other players decided to quit playing as well. 

true but ty mCGILL jumping on that 4 & 1 (and lunging for smith's ankle) kinda smells of i was just following orders to tank that play

4 minutes ago, wholesale_Melvin said:

true but ty mCGILL jumping on that 4 & 1 (and lunging for smith's ankle) kinda smells of i was just following orders to tank that play

Juqua Parker did that as a vet a decade or so ago.  McGill is a younger player, so I don't think people can assume that was on purpose.  Giants fans also felt Doug going for it on 4th instead of getting the FG was part of the tanking and Doug does stupid things on 4th down all the time.

43 minutes ago, jsdarkstar said:

There are people out there calling for an investigation and calling for the Eagles to lose their draft pick for tanking the game.

unbelievable. 

It's the New York media/market behind it all.  Shows how much sway that market has on a national level. Bunch of nonsense, imo. 

This is why:

A.  It's not uncommon to pull a rookie backup QB when he:

1. Has a 25 QB rating at that point

2. Just missed a wide open TD on 4th down

3. Was running for his life the entire 2nd half and getting hit left and right

B. 11 Starters were out of the game, almost half of those 11 were backups at the beginning of the season (to begin with) Which means AT LEAST half of the players on the field at any given moment were 2nd and 3rd string players. 

How many head coaches will leave their potential future starting QB in a game when he is getting lit up, getting hit left and right, with 3rd string players, in a meaningless game??? 

How is that any different than pulling your QB, when he's getting destroyed out there,  if you already made the playoffs and locked in the #1 seed?? Please explain that to me.

Give me a break and get over it, NY.  No 6-10 team should be complaining about not making the playoffs. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

Priovide proof, quitter. 

Why are you even on an Eagles fan board after you quit on them week 1 of the Super Bowl year?

so there are rules that fans have to be on board no matter what and labeled them quitters, you are saying fans that are not on board with teams that are tanking or bad like the phillies and sixers they are quitters too? why are you here to tell fans how they should feel if you dont like it they are quitters? you are one that's ignorant and closed minded about anyone's feelings, it's all about you and not anyone else. it's your way or the highway, im telling you i do what i want and when i want and when wentz gets traded, you are one that's going to quit because you are not an eagles fan. you are just a miserable selfish troll.

3 minutes ago, Ace Nova said:

It's the New York media/market behind it all.  Shows how much sway that market has on a national level. Bunch of nonsense, imo. 

This is why:

A.  It's not uncommon to pull a rookie backup QB when he:

1. Has a 25 QB rating at that point

2. Just missed a wide open TD on 4th down

3. Was running for his life the entire 2nd half and getting hit left and right

B. 11 Starters were out of the game, almost half of those 11 were backups at the beginning of the season (to begin with) Which means AT LEAST half of the players on the field at any given moment were 2nd and 3rd string players. 

How many head coaches will leave their potential future starting QB in a game when he is getting lit up, getting hit left and right, with 3rd string players???

Give me a break and get over it, NY.  No 6-10 team should be complaining about not making the playoffs. 

I agree. It's the combo of the largest media market and that game being moved to primetime so that the whole League/nation was watching.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, greend said:

Nah, all that was being said was that Hurts wasn't all that good either. That's a fair point. Whether Wentz is here next year or not I really don't think Hurts is the man for the job. But we've all been wrong before.

All that said you're still a way better poster imo than that.

I don't think Hurts is the answer either. I just think going forwards for many reasons he's a better option than Wentz. 

4 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I don't think Hurts is the answer either. I just think going forwards for many reasons he's a better option than Wentz. 

Does that mean Howie uses the 6th pick to draft a QB? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jsdarkstar said:

No I don't think he does. I think they'll consider it and hey maybe they try to trade up? I mean at this point maybe they try to offload Wentz to NY? Find a way to move up to #2? I have no idea. I don't think they can feel good about their QB situation though. 

2 minutes ago, jsdarkstar said:

If Fields or Lawrence were to fall to 6, would you pick them?  Assume for the minute that Wentz and Hurts are both on the roster still.

For me, I like Jalen, but I'm not convinced that he's the guy.  I'm also not convinced that Wentz can bounce back from this season.  That said, we have too many holes to fill and QB is not the biggest of our needs.  

49 minutes ago, wholesale_Melvin said:

So what about the Kelce's low snap to Sudfeld that caused a fumble. Was Kelce in on the tanking or is he one of the players that believes its all about winning no matter what. 

Just now, jsdarkstar said:

So what about the Kelce's low snap to Sudfeld that caused a fumble. Was Kelce in on the tanking or is he one of the players that believes its all about winning no matter what. 

Well we know the answer to that don't we... Kelce believes its all about winning no matter what. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, EricAllenPick6 said:

If Fields or Lawrence were to fall to 6, would you pick them?  Assume for the minute that Wentz and Hurts are both on the roster still.

For me, I like Jalen, but I'm not convinced that he's the guy.  I'm also not convinced that Wentz can bounce back from this season.  That said, we have too many holes to fill and QB is not the biggest of our needs.  

It is the biggest need if Hurts is not the answer and Wentz isn't fixable. That leaves us with Sudfeld. Lol. 

• Like 2

Just now, jsdarkstar said:

It is the biggest need if Hurts is not the answer and Wentz isn't fixable. That leaves us with Sudfeld. Lol. 

I think Sudfeld will be out on the street won't he? I certainly hope so. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

He didn't look good in the last game but what's the measuring stick. In comparison to what Sudfield was able to accomplish with the same offense, he looked pretty good. The offense was way over-matched in terms of players on the WFT side of the ball. And, some of his weapons, like Ertz, were playing it pretty safe at the expense of play execution. I'm in no way saying he is the answer but he might be an effective stopgap while the team rebuilds and it could also force Pederson to retool is strategy to more of a run orientation. A different perspective from the one that focuses on which of the two QBs will be the most impactful next year, playing, is, which of the two QBs can be moved as an asset, help the cap situation and facilitate a strategy this year is to bring in 3-4 foundational players in the draft. I'd look to use Dillard and Wentz as trade assets. Use the $20MM push (Wentz gives to Eagles and gets back as a signing bonus) with Wentz that has been outlined in the media as a way to move him, get cap relief and keep him financially whole. RLT is one of the most highly desired assets in the game, use this with Dillard, and come away with 2 -3 more picks in the first 3 rounds. Focus on D. #1 Get an island CB as top priority. Slay and another marquee CB change the way teams have to play the eagles. #2 get a physical young safety or real LB, size-wise, #3 get another impact Dline player. On the O-side, use free agency for a few more reliable weapons and the later rounds of the draft to shore up the Oline.

Let the QB position move to a future priority and have Hurts and a good backup take on the role while the rest of the team is rebuilt. Too much emphasis on QB and WR coupled with misses in the draft are a hole this team needs to dig out of. Getting one of the marquee WR is not going to do this, IMO.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Well we know the answer to that don't we... Kelce believes its all about winning no matter what. 

True. So explain to me how it was tanking by replacing Hurts with Sudfeld and all the other players wanted to win did they quit or try to win. I don't understand. I didn't realize one player makes such a difference. After all, I've heard that Football is a team game. One player can't win or lose all by themselves. 

It's  the way Doug did it that pissed everyone off, not just the fact that he did it. He did it in a VERY stupid way. Just rest your starters for a meaningless game. Nobody would say a word, except a Giants team that only won 6 games. But Doug did this just like he does his play calling- stupid shi*. The whole league got pissed off at him. Lurie might have to fire him just to make the Eagles org look good. I'm ok with that. 😆

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nipples said:

Why was it a shock? Doug said before the game that Sudfeld would likely get in the game. 

Why didn't he just start him, then? Or at worse- Suds starts the second half? No, stupid a** Doug decides the 3rd quarter is good, while the game was still winnable. If the Eagles were getting killed, no big deal. Doug threw the game. This isn't the NBA.... NFL people hate this kind of thing, and it sends the wrong message to all the players involved. It's like Hurts said... "This isn't right." He is right- it was wrong. Doug does the stupidest shi* and needs to go. Howie and Lurie were probably involved, though. It's just a total mess. This org is dying a slow death.

It's done and over with now. The same people will be here next year, making stupid decisions all over the place. Lurie, Howie and Doug. Nothing changes if nothing changes.

I really don't get the outrage.  Teams that are eliminated from the playoffs often rest injured starters to not further aggravate the injury, and play younger players and backups to get them some playing time and evaluate them.  You're not required to do anything based on some other team's chances.  And the Eagles were playing another rival so it's not like they were just sabotaging a division team.

Teams that made the playoffs rest starters and the schedule is meant to have division rivals compete at the end of the year.  All of a sudden they're complaining because it's Philly and people love to hate Philly.

30 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I mean that could be the case and if it is hopefully we find something else. My hope is Doug (since he's still seems to be here) will find a way to get Wentz back to 2017 Wentz.

10 minutes ago, Talonblood said:

It's  the way Doug did it that pissed everyone off, not just the fact that he did it. He did it in a VERY stupid way. Just rest your starters for a meaningless game. Nobody would say a word, except a Giants team that only won 6 games. But Doug did this just like he does his play calling- stupid shi*. The whole league got pissed off at him. Lurie might have to fire him just to make the Eagles org look good. I'm ok with that. 😆

He said prior to the game he planned to get Sudfeld time.  He treated it like a preseason game, he gave Hurts most of the game and then saw enough and wanted to get Suds some time.  Doug is a true player's coach to a fault.  Sudfeld is set to be a free agent.  Doug is loyal to guys and said he wanted to get Suds some playing time and that he's been here for several years.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Infam said:

Don't care about the stats in this case. To my eyes Hurts looked clearly better this season.

You are looking at highlights.  There is no substance to the stats.

Eagles scored on 2 of 21 second half possessions with Hurts as the starter.

Hurts put up 250+ more yards against the Cowboys, net result, 2 points and 1 loss.

I think players were upset but I don't think anyone went to the coach and complained because I think it would have been mentioned. The broadcasters wouldn't shut up about it.

Anyone re-watch that mess to see if any players went to Doug and complained?