Eagles players, coaches were shocked by Doug Pederson’s QB switch, resulting in sideline confrontations

Talonblood

48 minutes ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

Deflecting again and pretending that Hurts' performance was a clear upgrade.  It was not. It was equal.

Why such an issue with one ineffective QB being pulled over the other ineffective QB, UK?  Did you see anything in the 2nd half that said Hurts was bring them back?

Hurts was a clear upgrade. Wentz was a bottom 3 in the league QB this year, Hurts was not. To suggest otherwise is ridiculous and quite frankly laughable.

• Like 1

I don't give a F what Joe Judge thinks. It was one quarter of one meaningless game. The only people I have sympathy for are the vet players like Kelce who probably won't be back. I'm sure they didn't want to go out that way, but anyone else who has a problem can take a hike.

• Like 4

Is it uncommon to pull a rookie backup QB in the 4th quarter of a game when he has a 25 QB rating and just missed a wide open TD pass on 4th down?  

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, SBorBust said:

Does anyone actually believe this was Pederson’s decision?

I dont. The way Howie basically was exhuberent about the 6th overall pick and how we must hit on it suggests to me that he probably had hand in a decision. I mean from Howie point on you 3 positions higher in the draft gives him a lesser of a chance to screw up.

• Like 1

The way it was handled is an embarrassment.  The players and coaches say they were shocked and there were confrontations on the sideline.

https://www.inquirer.com/eagles/doug-pederson-eagles-tank-jason-kelce-jalen-hurts-nate-sudfeld-joe-judge-20210104.html

When Doug Pederson pulled Jalen Hurts for Nate Sudfeld early in the fourth quarter in Sunday’s season finale against Washington, many Eagles players and coaches were shocked and outraged, team sources told The Inquirer. Some were angry. Two defensive players had to be held back from approaching Pederson. Center Jason Kelce and another offensive starter went to the coach to ask him why he had pulled the starting quarterback with the Eagles trailing by only three. Hurts was distraught, as well. Even though he had been told Wednesday that there was a chance Sudfeld could play, he couldn’t understand why Pederson would make the switch, sources close to the situation said. The NBC broadcast caught Hurts on the bench after he was replaced apparently saying, "That’s not right.”

9 hours ago, NOTW said:

Never a dull moment with this team. Never a drama-free offseason. 

Which is a major part of the appeal.  

11 minutes ago, metal said:

I don't give a F what Joe Judge thinks. It was one quarter of one meaningless game. The only people I have sympathy for are the vet players like Kelce who probably won't be back. I'm sure they didn't want to go out that way, but anyone else who has a problem can take a hike.

Something nobody is talking about is what if this wasnt Doug's decision?  What if it came from Howie or above and Doug is just taking the heat for it?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, EaglesfanfromND said:

Philly's media is just fawking awful. They sure know how to twist the narrative to get the sheeple riled up.:nonono:

There's another guy from North Dakota who moved here and feels the same way.  Too tough of a media market for some. 

3 hours ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

You are deflecting.

And Hurts' numbers are damn near identical...except that he is a fumble machine.

Again, why is benching one bad QB worse than benching the other?   There was plenty of reason to sit him.  There was no proof that he could bring them back. 

SO, then we have 2 suck QB's(well 3 because Suds was HORRIBLE and needs to go away also).Except one we are paying a ridiculous amount for, the other gets rook pay, who plays like a rook BECAUSE he is a rook. The overpaid PU**IE has had 5 years to perfect his craft and still plays like a rook. The 124 different O line combinations helped neither. I want to trade Wentz, to the Pat,for their 15 pick. AT pick 6 I grab Devonta Smith, at 15, I take Mac his Bama QB. Then you have INSTANT chemistry. Then work on the Oline LB's and CB's. Let Mac an Hurts battle in camp for the 1/2. Then grab Zac Thomas as a UDFA (App. St). Bye Wentz, bye Suds and we have our 1,2,3 QB's for many years AND we aren't paying diddly for ANY of them. Your welcome

18 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Hurts was a clear upgrade. Wentz was a bottom 3 in the league QB this year, Hurts was not. To suggest otherwise is ridiculous and quite frankly laughable.

Still leads the league in picks and sacks and he's not even playing. IDK how much worse it gets than that

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

Still leads the league in picks and sacks and he's not even playing. IDK how much worse it gets than that

I think to be honest at this point I'm just going to let the Wentz lovers love. 

4 hours ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

Benching Carson probably lost some of the locker room, but that didn't bother you.

I don't get why you guys are all so fascinated with benching an ineffective QB.  Hurts had 70 yards, was clearly off target, is prone to fumbles, and had shown through 4 games that he flops in the 2nd half when it comes to putting points on the board.  What's the problem?

Had Doug said this in his presser that would be one thing. But all he said was he wanted to get Nate some time like it's preseason. 

2 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I think to be honest at this point I'm just going to let the Wentz lovers love. 

the "BIG MEETING" is today. I'm sure we'll know more very soon

11 minutes ago, Hawkeye said:

The way it was handled is an embarrassment.  The players and coaches say they were shocked and there were confrontations on the sideline.

https://www.inquirer.com/eagles/doug-pederson-eagles-tank-jason-kelce-jalen-hurts-nate-sudfeld-joe-judge-20210104.html

When Doug Pederson pulled Jalen Hurts for Nate Sudfeld early in the fourth quarter in Sunday’s season finale against Washington, many Eagles players and coaches were shocked and outraged, team sources told The Inquirer. Some were angry. Two defensive players had to be held back from approaching Pederson. Center Jason Kelce and another offensive starter went to the coach to ask him why he had pulled the starting quarterback with the Eagles trailing by only three. Hurts was distraught, as well. Even though he had been told Wednesday that there was a chance Sudfeld could play, he couldn’t understand why Pederson would make the switch, sources close to the situation said. The NBC broadcast caught Hurts on the bench after he was replaced apparently saying, "That’s not right.”

Old man Bowen needs to punch that hack McLane in the face again.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, GreenbleedinNC said:

the "BIG MEETING" is today. I'm sure we'll know more very soon

I'm sure we won't. We will hear the same things from the organisation regardless of what's discussed behind closed doors.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Hawkeye said:

I'm a huge Jalen Hurts fan and think he has a very bright future...and I really like the fact that he didn't want to get pulled and wanted to stay in and fight with his team.

That said, he needs to realize he had a 25 QB rating at that point and just missed a wide open TD pass on 4th down.  Plus, he was running for his life the entire 2nd half, etc.  He's still learning and I'm confident he will get better with experience...but the decision to pull him was the right one at the time, imo.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, greend said:

Had Doug said this in his presser that would be one thing. But all he said was he wanted to get Nate some time like it's preseason. 

Glad I got to see Suds, now I am certain he is cuttable. Just HORRIBLE. Street QB's would blow him away

• Like 1

Even before the game and before Hurts' poor play, I was expecting to see Sudfeld at some point during that game.  Loads of us here figured Wentz would be deactivated for the game because why would the Eagles risk the chance of him getting hurt behind an OL with 3rd string OTs whether they are either going to try and trade him or keep him and hope to fix him.  So that was no surprise and that left Hurts starting and Sudfeld as the backup.  Again, you're playing with an OL with 2 3rd string OTs vs one of the better DLs in the NFL and again why risk Hurts possibly getting hurt if you're either going to try and trade him or keep him to compete for or be the starter next season?  I figured they'd play Hurts at least a half and depending on what kind of beating he was taking that we'd see Sudfeld take over for him.  What I didn't expect was that the Wanker Football Team would be pedestrian on O vs our mirage of a DB group and it'd be a close game. 

Still, the VaGiants need to STFU and stop crying like jilted teenage girls.  You only won SIX games.  You started 1-7 and beat trash competition during your 'win' streak.  Maybe if your TE hadn't dropped a pass vs the very same Eagles you're complaining about you'd have been 7-9 with 2 wins over the Wankers and had the division won by beating the Cowgirls?  So to depend on a division rival to help you backdoor into the playoffs is idiotic.  Take a look in the mirror and try and figure out why you only won 6 games vs mostly garbage teams and how you can get better instead of crying over the fact that a rival didn't do you a favour.  Go F yourselves, VaGiants and Judge.

• Like 2