Eagles and Doug Pederson "part ways" - All discussion here

phil77

1 hour ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

Have you asked your friends or family for a new joke?  Cos you've been trotting this old crap out since November.

Maybe there should be a TATEr in the meeting in order to report it to us so that we can make our decisions. 

8 hours ago, AzBirdGang said:

Press Taylor for oc is a joke. Hard to even fathom that being real. Doug trying to get fired?

Lurie probably doesn't have much confidence in Doug when it comes to staff hires considering he was prepared to bring back Groh and Walch last year with fairly strong endorsements only to fire them both less than 24 hours later (reportedly after Lurie gave him the directive to do so).  I do have a gut feeling this most report is related to Doug having a preference to promote Taylor and Lurie doesn't agree with that decision.  I believe the report made earlier that we would seek to hire a "traditional" OC (when it was announced neither Mornhinweg nor Scangarello would be retained) was initiated from above Doug, and that "traditional" meant experienced.  Something tells me Doug doesn't want someone like that who could potentially step on Doug's toes when it comes to running the offense.  

9 hours ago, NOTW said:

If Doug is fired, Howie will be hiring a new Head Coach and retooling through the draft.

Howie Roseman.

Expect more second round backups then? 

I was for keeping Doug. But if his plan for his offensive staff is to make Press Taylor the OC, then sorry Doug you’ve got to go. 

8 hours ago, Portyansky said:

If DP is fired (which i doubt). The new HC will probably take a QB round one. 

If that's the case, who do you suggest we take?

9 hours ago, AzBirdGang said:

Press Taylor for oc is a joke. Hard to even fathom that being real. Doug trying to get fired?

Press Taylor surviving two staff purges is a joke. He was passing coordinator last season and the passing game suffered while he was still Quarterback coach. Did any of  the quarterbacks look good at all last year? How in the world did he make it past the other firings? Also even if they do fire Doug what coach worth his salt wants to come to Philly and wants to deal with a meddling owner with an incompetent GM, and a player with the power to decide his fate? 

12 minutes ago, EagleVA said:

If that's the case, who do you suggest we take?

Depends just how stupid the Jets are. If they are dumb enough to stick with Darnold and pass on Fields, then you see what it would take for Miami to swap picks so you can go up and get Fields. 

1 minute ago, nipples said:

Depends just how stupid the Jets are. If they are dumb enough to stick with Darnold and pass on Fields, then you see what it would take for Miami to swap picks so you can go up and get Fields. 

We have entirely too many needs to think about trading away picks to move up.

8 hours ago, Portyansky said:

Depends.  This very well could be partly related to finding a HC who will help (in part by hiring the right staff) get Wentz back on track.  Since it is being reported that the relationship between Wentz and Doug is "beyond repair" (which I'm not completely buying ... it could be strained but to say "beyond repair" is likely an exaggeration), the report of Lurie wanting to have full confidence in Doug's ability to run an offense would obviously include getting better play from your QB.  Doug seemed out of answers on how to accomplish that.  He could very well want to replace Doug (if he has no confidence he can "fix" Wentz) with someone who will be able to accomplish that, meaning no QB in round 1.  Would seem plausible since they invested so much in him between the draft picks and mega contract.

35 minutes ago, EagleVA said:

true...unless...we trade wentz for a 2 this year and 2/3 next AND we also trade hurtz for a 2/3.  then we can give up 1 of those to move up but i see miami going for that stud ot if he's there

3 minutes ago, weko said:

true...unless...we trade wentz for a 2 this year and 2/3 next AND we also trade hurtz for a 2/3.  then we can give up 1 of those to move up but i see miami going for that stud ot if he's there

I think you may be right about Miami, I don't think Tua has an NFL arm so that's looking like a bad pick for them not unless they install a Saints type of offense that Brees runs.

34 minutes ago, weko said:

Whoa!  I get the (flawed) theory to trade Wentz, but you'd send Hurts, too?  Where did that come from?

Meanwhile, dallas is already interviewing for Defensive Coordinator positions (dan quinn). We need get our rear in gear. 

1 hour ago, EagleVA said:

As long as Howie is the one making those picks, does it matter? If you have a chance to get a stud franchise QB, which I believe Fields is, then you go for it. 

10 hours ago, Portyansky said:

If Press is the new OC, then I dont see any real offensive changes next year.

Completely disagree. I think if we get a new head coach Wentz stays and is the starter Week 1. I think Lurie wants to keep Wentz for at least  one more year to see what he can do. I don't think they want to go into this draft round 1 yet another quarterback. I'm sure whatever head coach is hired would be actually thrilled to have Wentz. Maybe a lot of the fans here do not like him but outside of Philly a lot of teams, coaches and fans think he's pretty good and was in a bad spot this yet with a lot working against him. 

1 minute ago, DeathByEagle said:

Completely disagree. I think if we get a new head coach Wentz stays and is the starter Week 1. I think Lurie wants to keep Wentz for at least  one more year to see what he can do. I don't think they want to go into this draft round 1 yet another quarterback. I'm sure whatever head coach is hired would be actually thrilled to have Wentz. Maybe a lot of the fans here do not like him but outside of Philly a lot of teams, coaches and fans think he's pretty good and was in a bad spot this yet with a lot working against him. 

Unless there is some way to get rid of that "lost" money from moving on from Wentz, he starts week 1 next year.  Lurie didn't to where he is by throwing away money.

This along with all of the other reports coming out of the Philly media is head scratching. According to the twitterverse Wentz and Taylor were supposed to be best buds, then Wentz and Pederson were "fractured", now Pederson wants to promote Taylor to OC, Lurie is ready to fire Pederson over the OC but still wants Wentz? I really think this is just a lot of gossip amongst twitter media members trying to see who can be the first to be "right". If this meeting is true at least Doug is getting a Florida trip out of the deal. :lol:

2 hours ago, EagleVA said:

When all is said and done, I’ll be surprised if Wilson or Fields is available at 6.

Lurie and Doug will emerge from the meeting declaring Howie is fired, Kelce has retired and will be the new GM and Duce Staley will be the OC, while Dawkins will be the new DC.  All former players for true emotional intelligence and player's coaches.  Connor Barwin is already an Asst GM.

:groovy:

10 hours ago, Ray75 said:

Lurie should pull the plug entirely and start fresh. New GM, new HC, new coaching staff (hope they keep Duce and Jeff). No half measures!

This is such a messy situation. Can’t just fire one guy in the hope things will turn out right.

If the rumors are true Doug wants to promote Taylor to OC and possibly Burke to DC, nothing will change. It has become pretty obvious Lurie doesn’t agree with Doug’s plan and for good reason. When they hired Doug they wanted a "yes man” for Howie and even after winning a SB, Dougie P still is not allowed to pick his own assistants. Granted; keeping Groh last year or promomting Taylor this year, doesn’t feel like a smart decision and from that perspective I get it that Lurie interfered.

If he leaves Howie in charge of personel decisions (FA and Draft), nothing will change.

If the relationship between Doug and Wentz is indeed fractured beyond repair and Lurie wants to salvage his investment at all cost, keeping DP isn’t the answer.

What a mess!

Why keep Duce?

13 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

Why keep Duce?

I think it’s a valid question. With that being the case Duce has gotten more production out of the backs than any other position coach has gotten out of their positions. I wonder why Duce stays in Philly when they don’t have a lot of interest in giving him any real power. 

Someone asked this last week, but what does anyone know about Duce's ability to be an OC or even HC?  The only thing I know is he prepares the RBs well and is a good position RB coach.  People throw his name out for OC and even HC but why?  I'm not saying he's not qualified, but does anyone have info from players or other coaches celebrating his abilities in other areas?  Example I keep hearing DeMeco Ryans for DC and looked him up, his current head coach and players current and former have all said he'll make a great DC and eventual HC and he's expected to be the DC in San Fran if Saleh moves on.  I haven't seen info about Duce like that except fans throwing out his name.

3 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

I think it’s a valid question. With that being the case Duce has gotten more production out of the backs than any other position coach has gotten out of their positions. I wonder why Duce stays in Philly when they don’t have a lot of interest in giving him any real power. 

Possible but his rotation has sucked over the years. I'm sure there's people that'd argue Stoutland has had more production but then his fault was why didn't he put Mailata out there. Also he let a few other bad players into the line over a better option

Archived