Eagles and Doug Pederson "part ways" - All discussion here

phil77

5 hours ago, DawkinsOwnage03 said:

Doug > Duce, Kafka, Bowles, McDaniels and any other scrub left that would accept this job. That leaves good coaches like Daboll out.

Yep. Daboll has no interest. 

The Philadelphia Eagles were said to be interested in Buffalo Bills offensive coordinator Brian Daboll but it doesn’t appear the feeling is mutual. Rob Maadi of The Associated Press says he was told Daboll isn’t interested in the Eagles’ head coaching job.

I honestly don't know what about the Eagles would be attractive to a head coaching candidate right now.  Horrible cap situation, old roster, quarterback controversy, bad GM and a rabid fanbase that is already angry with the team.  Better off staying where you are.  

34 minutes ago, The Norseman said:

I honestly don't know what about the Eagles would be attractive to a head coaching candidate right now.  Horrible cap situation, old roster, quarterback controversy, bad GM and a rabid fanbase that is already angry with the team.  Better off staying where you are.  

A lot of these guys are ego maniacs. Philly is a big market, and if you win here you become a legend. 

22 minutes ago, Gannan said:

A lot of these guys are ego maniacs. Philly is a big market, and if you win here you become a legend. 

Ego maniacs can still see a bad situation in front of them though. And this right now is a bad situation. 

3 hours ago, Gannan said:

Doug won here and the people give more credit to the quarterback who didn’t even play in the game and the OC who didn’t even call any plays. 🤷‍♂️

3 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Ego maniacs can still see a bad situation in front of them though. And this right now is a bad situation. 

Totally agree. No one but a desperate coach or a yesman type would be willing to take this job. 

4 hours ago, The Norseman said:

Yup. The positives list i short, I can't even see the end of the negatives list. I guess if I were an older not-great candidate I'd try to get the longest contract I could get so when I got fired I'd still get paid into retirement. I'll not be surprised if/when Duce Staley is introduced as the next Eagles Head Coach.

7 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

Totally agree. No one but a desperate coach or a yesman type would be willing to take this job. 

Ego maniacs want control. They believe with control they can be great and successful. They definitely wouldn't have that here. 

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Ego maniacs want control. They believe with control they can be great and successful. They definitely wouldn't have that here. 

If McDaniels is the guy you definitely see a desperate type coach there, but also a guy who might think he can later steal power away from Howie. 

2 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

If McDaniels is the guy you definitely see a desperate type coach there, but also a guy who might think he can later steal power away from Howie. 

I mean that's the one argument for why someone may want the job. They may believe that if they can maximise what they have and the draft picks continue to fail then perhaps Howie will be shown the door in a year? That's a long shot play though. 

34 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I mean that's the one argument for why someone may want the job. They may believe that if they can maximise what they have and the draft picks continue to fail then perhaps Howie will be shown the door in a year? That's a long shot play though. 

If I’m him I want some assurances. Knowing this will be a rebuilding project if I were him the Eagles would have to guarantee me at least three years to get things going. 

1 hour ago, EazyEaglez said:

If I’m him I want some assurances. Knowing this will be a rebuilding project if I were him the Eagles would have to guarantee me at least three years to get things going. 

Yeah I mean I'm sure most would like those kinds of guarantees but they aren't going to get them. Or at least not actually concrete in writing. 

18 hours ago, Gannan said:

I heard Trump is available :ph34r: 

Howie-McDaniels-Wentz would be hands down the most despicable and easy to hate hierarchy in the entire NFL.  Count me out, Go Ravens.

2 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Yeah I mean I'm sure most would like those kinds of guarantees but they aren't going to get them. Or at least not actually concrete in writing. 

This would be a hard pass for me then. This organization just admitted they need to "retool” so who is to say how long that could take. There really isn’t much to like about the Eagles job right now. 

5 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

Exactly,  any coach worth their corn can see it's probably a multi year rebuild job, but Lurie has canned the last two coaches straight after their first losing season including one who won the damn Superbowl just 3 seasons ago.  If the cap reports are true that's another turd smeared all over the job as well.

10 minutes ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

Exactly,  any coach worth their corn can see it's probably a multi year rebuild job, but Lurie has canned the last two coaches straight after their first losing season including one who won the damn Superbowl just 3 seasons ago.  If the cap reports are true that's another turd smeared all over the job as well.

What is there to like about this job? The new coach can’t even bring in some free agents from his old team to help the players learn the new schemes due to this salary cap. Howie and his terrible drafts will never go away, and both he and Lurie are looking to meddle with your staff at any moment of their whim. Then like you mentioned Lurie has been real quick to fire a guy. On top of all of that the Eagles are force feeding a new coach Carson Wentz. You have to be a desperate coordinator or a guy like Doug who can deal with this group. Even Doug had enough of these guys. 

3 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

This would be a hard pass for me then. This organization just admitted they need to "retool” so who is to say how long that could take. There really isn’t much to like about the Eagles job right now. 

And that's the problem. Right now they have a pretty bad roster with ageing players and a GM who can't draft. They have a cap issue which Howie will resolve but then they likely aren't going to be able to do much in FA. And they have a QB dilemma. Oh and add to that an owner that meddles.

1 hour ago, Outlaw said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/01/20/doug-pederson-leaning-toward-taking-the-next-year-off/

Looks like Doug is looking to be a hot candidate for 2022.  Makes sense to me.

As long as whoever takes over here doesn't perform a resurrection its a smart move.

5 hours ago, NOTW said:

Dick must not have watched Doug's "gifted" play calling the last few years, this last year in particular. Dick is talking about 2017. Love you, Mr. V, but you ain't been watching the weird a**calls, the lame a** calls, the totally goofy a** call, and the boring, unimaginative a** calls. His calls were a**. 

36 minutes ago, Talonblood said:

Dick must not have watched Doug's "gifted" play calling the last few years, this last year in particular. Dick is talking about 2017. Love you, Mr. V, but you ain't been watching the weird a**calls, the lame a** calls, the totally goofy a** call, and the boring, unimaginative a** calls. His calls were a**. 

He was impressed Doug had the foresight to play for the tie against one of the worst teams in the NFL instead of the win. Because if the Eagles won, they wouldn't be drafting #6. 

11 hours ago, kentwo said:

He was impressed Doug had the foresight to play for the tie against one of the worst teams in the NFL instead of the win. Because if the Eagles won, they wouldn't be drafting #6. 

Oh, he was impressed the team had the foresight... to tank. Got it.

On 1/18/2021 at 1:18 PM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Yeah I mean when you look back there were warning signs I guess. I thought the contract at the time was fine so I'm no going to kill Howie for it now. Its what he does next that is key for me. 

same boat, hand me an oar.

Archived