Eagles and Doug Pederson "part ways" - All discussion here

phil77

11 hours ago, stinkfist said:

My opinion may not be popular, but I wonder if Doug doesn't want to be here. Who says Doug and or Doug's agent didn't leak that the Eagles weren't happy with him in the first place? There were also rumors the Eagles were going to trade him to the Jets. Doug doesn't care if he gets there, he just wants out. Apparently Lurie is furious with the Week 17 nonsense. Maybe Doug just doesn't give a crap. 

Like Art Howe says to Billy Beane in Moneyball, " And I, uh... I disagree with you, plain and simple. And moreover,  And I, uh... I disagree with you, plain and simple. And moreover, I'm playing my team in a way that I can explain in job interviews next winter.

At this point, Doug may just want to go. It's not crazy. Few people I've talked to that believe this is indeed the case. 

I kind of wonder if that's true of Doug and Carson too. But that is my unsupported speculation.

5 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

Possible but his rotation has sucked over the years. I'm sure there's people that'd argue Stoutland has had more production but then his fault was why didn't he put Mailata out there. Also he let a few other bad players into the line over a better option

I don’t know if I can completely blame Stoutland for this past season, but there were some guys signed off by him who clearly weren’t ready to go out there and compete. Overall this comes down to Roseman and the lack of talent provided by the GM. 

7 minutes ago, eglz1 said:

I kind of wonder if that's true of Doug and Carson too. But that is my unsupported speculation.

I’m sure Carson wasn’t too happy they spent a 2nd round pick on his "backup,” his coach jumping for joy over the pick, and his GM calling the guy the next Russell Wilson. 

Speaking of Duce Staley - this was written 3 weeks ago

https://www.nj.com/eagles/2020/12/eagles-duce-staley-says-doug-pederson-should-continue-to-call-plays.html

Eagles’ Duce Staley says Doug Pederson should continue to call plays | ‘Doug is a hell of a coach’

"Doug is a hell of a coach,” Staley said. "He’s been a hell of a coach for this organization, and he brought a Super Bowl. I don’t want him to leave. I don’t want him to go anywhere. All of the assistant coaches feel the same way. I’m speaking for all of them right now. The things as far as what he’s done for us, such as giving us the opportunity to have a voice and giving us the opportunity to do certain things, has been awesome. Every coach to tell you that.”

Staley said that Pederson could be a "CEO”-type coach, overseeing the coaching and game planning of the field. However, with the recent news that Pederson had previously given up some play-calling responsibilities in certain situations, Staley believes he should remain the primary play-caller because he is good at that aspect of the offense.

"I don’t want him to give it up because he’s really good at it, and he should continue to do it,” Staley said. "I had a chance to play for Cowher, and he was one of those coaches that didn’t call plays. All he did was just say what his job title was and be the head coach of the building, run the building, run the team, and Doug can do that too. He does that now while he’s calling plays.”

The one thing I just can't get around is...If Doug truly doesn't have final say over his own coaching staff or if the front office has to be involved in making these decisions, then why do they even keep him as the HC?  Doug is the first coach that I've ever heard of that seemingly doesn't have complete control of this aspect.  Wasn't there also a report at some point this season about Howie even being involved in who is or is not active on game days?

I mean, really?  WTF.  

When you listen to Doug answer questions over the years here, he has never struck me as the sharpest tool in the shed.  Sometimes I do wonder if all the crap about Howie/Lurie being that involved in what should be a head coaches realm, if that really means that Doug is kinda in over his head as far as head coaching is concerned.  

This is a bizarre situation, at the least.  And I'm sure we don't know the half of it.

If Eagles fire Doug Pederson, who the heck wants this job?

A bunch of this points to Howie as part of the problem as well.

• Howie Roseman seems invincible. The Eagles are willing to possibly move on from their head coach and from their quarterback but the guy responsible for putting together a 4-11-1 roster with repeated failures in the draft is made of Teflon. And while Roseman spoke five years ago about learning how to become better at the relationship part of his job, there are plenty of folks who have found him hard to work alongside.
    •  
    • The Eagles might not have their franchise quarterback and if they have their quarterback it’s either a 28-year-old guy who regressed in 2020 unlike any player we’ve ever seen or an unproven second-rounder who has four starts under his belt.
    •  
    • Perhaps some head coach would relish the opportunity to come in and fix Carson Wentz. Coaches always think they can fix players. But this particular player reportedly hasn’t gotten along with his current coach — who once had him playing at an MVP level — to the point where he’s expected to ask for a trade. There are also fair questions to ask about how open to coaching Wentz really is.
    •  
    • The Eagles don’t have young talent. We mentioned Roseman already but if the Eagles get a new coach, that coach will come in and be handed a roster that features aging veterans as the best players. Yeah, Fletcher Cox, Brandon Graham, Jason Kelce, Lane Johnson, Brandon Brooks, Darius Slay and Rodney McLeod are good players. But they’re older players.
    •  
    • The Eagles have a clear lack of young talent for a young coach to grow with. Aside from Miles Sanders, Dallas Goedert and a few others, the Eagles’ failures in the draft are apparent in their product on the field.
    •  
    • The Eagles also a lack of cap space. In fact, the Eagles are staring at a cap situation with estimates of them being over $70 million. While Roseman is skilled in this area and will be able to make the Eagles cap compliant, he won’t be able to overcome draft shortcoming by spending money in free agency as he’s done in the past. So it’s hard to expect long-term solutions in the draft and there also aren’t short-term solutions coming in free agency.
    •  
    • And perhaps the biggest reason for coaches to avoid the Eagles: The owner might have a meddling problem. And if you take this job, you’d be replacing a guy who won a Super Bowl and was out three years later. How could you possibly feel secure with your own job? The sheer fact that the Eagles are batting around these franchise-altering decisions for this long is worrisome. That indecisiveness typically doesn’t happen with well-run teams.

22 minutes ago, NOTW said:

Someone asked this last week, but what does anyone know about Duce's ability to be an OC or even HC?  The only thing I know is he prepares the RBs well and is a good position RB coach.  People throw his name out for OC and even HC but why?  I'm not saying he's not qualified, but does anyone have info from players or other coaches celebrating his abilities in other areas?  Example I keep hearing DeMeco Ryans for DC and looked him up, his current head coach and players current and former have all said he'll make a great DC and eventual HC and he's expected to be the DC in San Fran if Saleh moves on.  I haven't seen info about Duce like that except fans throwing out his name.

I think it comes down to his loyalty to the team, and his ability to prepare his players despite the talent given. The Eagles promoted him to assistant head coach so it shows they think something of him. Heck we are talking about a team that hired Doug and he rarely called any plays for the Chiefs. Still it does seem the Eagles aren’t willing to give Duce any real power other than controlling the backs. 

Doug isn't getting fired. I would be beyond surprised if he got the axe after a Super Bowl and two playoff appearances immediately following. 

1 minute ago, EazyEaglez said:

I think it comes down to his loyalty to the team, and his ability to prepare his players despite the talent given. The Eagles promoted him to assistant head coach so it shows they think something of him. Heck we are talking about a team that hired Doug and he rarely called any plays for the Chiefs. Still it does seem the Eagles aren’t willing to give Duce any real power other than controlling the backs. 

True.  Doug promoted him, he also believed in Groh and Walch and wants Press Taylor to be the OC.  So I don't know how much stock I put in Doug making him the Asst HC.  It's tough to know who does what on the coaching staff with too many cooks in the kitchen and Doug calls the plays.

2 hours ago, EaglesAddict said:

The one thing I just can't get around is...If Doug truly doesn't have final say over his own coaching staff or if the front office has to be involved in making these decisions, then why do they even keep him as the HC?  Doug is the first coach that I've ever heard of that seemingly doesn't have complete control of this aspect.  Wasn't there also a report at some point this season about Howie even being involved in who is or is not active on game days?

I mean, really?  WTF.  

When you listen to Doug answer questions over the years here, he has never struck me as the sharpest tool in the shed.  Sometimes I do wonder if all the crap about Howie/Lurie being that involved in what should be a head coaches realm, if that really means that Doug is kinda in over his head as far as head coaching is concerned.  

This is a bizarre situation, at the least.  And I'm sure we don't know the half of it.

The Eagles hired Doug, because he was contrasting to Chip Kelly who wanted Howie and Lurie out the mix. They wanted a coach they can control. They will look for another they can control.

7 minutes ago, NOTW said:

True.  Doug promoted him, he also believed in Groh and Walch and wants Press Taylor to be the OC.  So I don't know how much stock I put in Doug making him the Asst HC.  It's tough to know who does what on the coaching staff with too many cooks in the kitchen and Doug calls the plays.

Promoting from within has always been a thing for the Eagles since Reid came here. It’s how Howie rose to the top to begin with. For Doug he probably would rather hire guys he can control and trust. The Eagles hired all those new coaches and I’m sure it was difficult for Doug and those guys to work together especially with Covid being an issue. Doug clearly did not want those people and who knows what the ambitions of those guys were. If the owner and GM keep meddling with the coaching staff then I don’t see how the Eagles can get any continuity. It took over two years before Reich and Doug developed a decent chemistry. The Eagles coaching staff hasn’t been consistent since thanks to owner meddling. 

I know none of us expect Howie to go anywhere but it’s interesting that this is just an Owner/HC meeting only. I truly believe Doug and Howie just aren’t seeing eye to eye and there could be a lot of finger pointing going on. 

Is there any chance we get thrown a huge curveball and Doug stays with Howie getting fired? 🤣

3 minutes ago, ShutDownDB said:

So reshuffle chairs on the Titanic.  Great plan.

3 minutes ago, ShutDownDB said:

It's hard to trust McLane after his deceptive article about the players confronting Doug during the last game. But, if this is true, then Doug is clueless because those are basically no significant changes.

2 minutes ago, ShutDownDB said:

'bringing ex-DBs coach Cory Undlin back as DC' is reason enough for me to send Doug packing without giving it a thought, Doug need to go!!

That is just ridiculous.

2 minutes ago, Maga301 said:

I know none of us expect Howie to go anywhere but it’s interesting that this is just an Owner/HC meeting only. I truly believe Doug and Howie just aren’t seeing eye to eye and there could be a lot of finger pointing going on. 

Is there any chance we get thrown a huge curveball and Doug stays with Howie getting fired? 🤣

Doug "Big Balls" Pederson needs to treat it like 4th down in the red zone:  go for it!  If he thinks there's a chance he would be fired, he needs to throw Howie under the bus for bad drafting, bad contracts, cap hell, difficult to work with, etc.  It would probably result in Doug being fired anyway, but at least he'd go out guns blazing and give Lurie something to think about.  Then when the drafting and talent don't improve and the team still stinks maybe Lurie will fire Howie next season.

1 minute ago, EagleVA said:

'bringing ex-DBs coach Cory Undlin back as DC' is reason enough for me to send Doug packing without giving it a thought, Doug need to go!!

That is just ridiculous.

Right?  Is Billy Davis available?  :lol:

2 minutes ago, NOTW said:

So reshuffle chairs on the Titanic.  Great plan.

I can understand them helping Doug at first because he needed to learn how to be a HC. However 5 years in he should have the freedom to either sink or swim with his guys, not coaches shoved on him. Lurie should ok these choices, if the report is true, but make it perfectly clear if there is another bad season its all on Doug's shoulders.

You don't want the GM and Owner meddling to hire coaches for you...but when the Head Coach is incapable of hiring coaches other than promoting guys already here who are not good coaches...then fire the HC and get someone who you feel confident in hiring a staff.

Otherwise what's the point if you don't have confidence in your head coach and need him to be on a leash and have the GM force coaches on him?

2 minutes ago, NOTW said:

Right?  Is Billy Davis available?  :lol:

I hear Juan Castillo might be willing to come back 🤭😆☹️

Archived