Eagles and Doug Pederson "part ways" - All discussion here

phil77

3 minutes ago, NOTW said:

You don't want the GM and Owner meddling to hire coaches for you...but when the Head Coach is incapable of hiring coaches other than promoting guys already here who are not good coaches...then fire the HC and get someone who you feel confident in hiring a staff.

Otherwise what's the point if you don't have confidence in your head coach and need him to be on a leash and have the GM force coaches on him?

If what McLane said is true, Lurie should've just fired him right then. If Doug's judgement is that poor, then it will be poor in other ways not just with the coaching decisions. It shows no accountability.

I don't blame Doug at this point. Howie and Lurie have shown zero willingness to work with him and have painted him public enemy number one, all while Howie sits on an untouchable throne. 

It's no wonder he doesn't have coaching candidates to hire, no one wants to come here. Hell, Pederson is probably protecting his outside help by making sure they don't come to this dumpster fire. Last year Doug got gutted, and they brought in a collection of offensive coaches to do god knows what. From Doug's position, they brought in outside help last year and it didn't do jack crap. 

This team is a complete joke and a disgrace. 

12 minutes ago, ShutDownDB said:

I can understand them helping Doug at first because he needed to learn how to be a HC. However 5 years in he should have the freedom to either sink or swim with his guys, not coaches shoved on him. Lurie should ok these choices, if the report is true, but make it perfectly clear if there is another bad season its all on Doug's shoulders.

this is 100% correct...
(and we haven't even gotten to the Wentz drama yet!!)

This whole situation wreaks of Jeff Lurie setting up Doug as the scapegoat.  He's slandering him in the media in prep for firing him.

But the good news is that means Howie Roseman is safe!

I just don't understand Doug. Look promoting from within when you have a really good and proven structure is great and admirable. This is not a good and proven structure. 

Press Taylor has been a disaster from what we can tell. 

Burke has done a good job but those are big shoes to fill for a guy with no DC experience and to be honest no talent to work with. Undlin would not be a popular choice either. 

I mean what is Doug thinking?

The reality is, Lurie needs to get rid of Doug and Howie plus perhaps Wentz to be able to attract those guys with top credentials. 

14 minutes ago, jblah said:

don't know if anyone posted this but looks like we are screwed!!

image.png.6b3a56e944ea247bee733eee6d7c9957.png

I can certainly see why Lurie was underwhelmed.  Doug definitely lacks the knowledge to assemble a strong staff on his own.  

9 minutes ago, Arsenal79 said:

This whole situation wreaks of Jeff Lurie setting up Doug as the scapegoat.  He's slandering him in the media in prep for firing him.

But the good news is that means Howie Roseman is safe!

Good news?  Sarcasm?

46 minutes ago, flyerdog said:

this is 100% correct...
(and we haven't even gotten to the Wentz drama yet!!)

This is Doug's biggest issue.  The Wentz situation is an absolute disaster.  The Eagles hired Doug then traded up to draft Wentz a few months later with the expectation that they would develop into a Brady/Belichick or Wilson/Carroll or Mahomes/Reid kind of combination.  Not only has that not happened, it's gone the other way.  Not sure how Doug talks his way out of that.  Certainly not by moving a few coaches around.  

17 minutes ago, Mr_Philly said:

If Lurie was going to fire him Pederson wouldn't be in FL now, my guess is they are playing golf down there.

Unless he's being traded to Jacksonville or a conditional 7th round draft pick. Maybe they're meeting the owner of the Jacksonville Jaguars right now

Press as OC when he can't even help Wentz? That's stupidity in a barrel. Fire Press,make DUCE the "official" OC(not the BS "assistant HC", then lets find a DC and a HC

3 minutes ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

Press as OC when he can't even help Wentz? That's stupidity in a barrel. Fire Press,make DUCE the "official" OC(not the BS "assistant HC", then lets find a DC and a HC

No thanks, he can't even manage the RB rotation.

I’m sorry but if Doug’s plan to fix things is to promote Press Taylor to OC, then he needs to just be fired. 

1 hour ago, Swoop said:

I hear Juan Castillo might be willing to come back 🤭😆☹️

I Juan-der what he’s up to these days?

16 minutes ago, Swoop said:

No thanks, he can't even manage the RB rotation.

LMAO yeah he has ONE RB and a PS guy and Ped decided we don't need to use either one, but that's Duces fault. This is the exact thinking that got us where we are. Well done

2 minutes ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

LMAO yeah he has ONE RB and a PS guy and Ped decided we don't need to use either one, but that's Duces fault. This is the exact thinking that got us where we are. Well done

I agree with Swoop on this one. How many times did we see Sproles put in on short yardage situations and used on up the middle runs or Sanders start to get hot and then pulled for Clement?  

Lurie needs to stop interfering here.  Is Pederson responsible for Wentz'd historic decreased performance?  I literally can't think of a single thing Pederson could have done this year to change our season when you factor the injuries of the O line and Wentz's demise we were destined to suck.

5 minutes ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

Yeah, I'm not talking about this year alone. I'm talking about the several other years where we would run Darren Sproles up the middle on 4th and 2.

2 minutes ago, CaliEagle said:

I agree with Swoop on this one. How many times did we see Sproles put in on short yardage situations and used on up the middle runs or Sanders start to get hot and then pulled for Clement?  

Didn't see this before I posted, but exactly.

6 minutes ago, CaliEagle said:

We don't even have Sproles now. How many games did we see the running game just STOPPED? That is NOT on Duce, that is on PED. Sanders can't be effective riding pine,but yeah lets blame the guy NOT responsible. The guy that IS, is Pederson. Maybe with Duce could have a CONSISTENT running game?  

Archived