Eagles and Doug Pederson "part ways" - All discussion here

phil77

2 minutes ago, Infam said:

The cap situation is one thing I don't worry a second about. Everybody here should know better by now.

I really don't either to be honest. I'm just joining in with the pitchfork and torches crowd for a little bit lol. 

Obviously we can get under the cap. League rules require that. That’s a red herring. 

The obvious point that shouldn’t have to be clarified, (but apparently does), is that you have to be under the cap while still remaining one of the strongest teams capable of truly competing for a championship. A world championship. Not a cool hat for winning an extremely weak division championship. 

1 minute ago, mr_irie1 said:

Plus Lurie said that if he were a coach looking for a good HC job then he wouldn't even care about the teams cap. Everyone knows that any cap issues can easily be fixed in like 12 months. 

I think that's such rubbish from Lurie though. If I'm a young coach looking at potential roles I absolutely want to understand what position the roster position is. And to understand that I need to understand the cap situation. I don't need to manage the cap, I don't need to fix the cap but I do need to understand what state the roster is going to be in. I don't want a job where I'm going to be given a very different roster to what I signed up for. 

1 minute ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

I was being sarcastic..... Blowing this up and doing a rebuild does help get Howie out of the cap mess. That will.make him look good and let lurie say how great he is. That's what I meant

He has shown time and again that the cap is just a meaningless number for us. So much hot air blown over the cap over the years, and still nobody realizes that.. 😄

I was being sarcastic..... Blowing this up and doing a rebuild does help get Howie out of the cap mess. That will.make him look good and let lurie say how great he is. That's what I meant

Ah OK my apologies! I mean just what an utter mess this is. I really do think we look like a laughing stock right now. 

Just now, Infam said:

He has shown time and again that the cap is just a meaningless number for us. So much hot air blown over the cap over the years, and still nobody realizes that.. 😄

Has he? He's been this far over the cap with this bad a roster before has he? I think not.

Just now, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Ah OK my apologies! I mean just what an utter mess this is. I really do think we look like a laughing stock right now. 

I don't.

Just now, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Has he? He's been this far over the cap with this bad a roster before has he? I think not.

Every year the same little piece of drama how dire the cap is, and how we really surely cannot afford big name FAs THIS year. 

And every year we do sign big names and all this cap talk just magically vanishes after we restructure deals and cut bad old players.

1 minute ago, Infam said:

I don't.

Every year the same little piece of drama how dire the cap is, and how we really surely cannot afford big name FAs THIS year. 

And every year we do sign big names and all this cap talk just magically vanishes after we restructure deals and cut bad old players.

You mean kick the can down the road further. 

Just now, Infam said:

No every year this team is not $70M over the cap. This roster has not been this bad before this year. And they were not paying a QB the huge number they will be this year. 

Howie managed the cap by kicking the can down the road. That's created this issue. 

1 minute ago, EagleJoe8 said:

You mean kick the can down the road further. 

Depending on how long the road is we can go for a long time my friend

9 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

If one of them had to go, I'd have Howie be the one to go. So it doesn't make any sense. 

That said, I'm not there so I don't know if the locker room was 'lost' or whatever the situation may have been. It's very easy as a fan to lash out or criticize a move like this, from afar, so I'll wait and see how things go from this point forward. But as a fan, I'm not in favor of this move. Not being fewer than 3 full years removed from our ultimate 'glory' in Super Bowl LII. 

I believed that benching Carson was the wrong move... let him play through the adversity, let him fail. Failure isn't a worthless thing, it has its value. Same with Doug, though. Let him coach through the adversity, and let him fail. If he (they, counting Carson), don't learn and grow from those failures, THEN make these sorts of moves. 

I agree from the standpoint of looking at teams like the Steelers who have their ups and downs but stick with the key personnel. But they're never this bad. The casual fan wants an exciting product. Philly is a big media market, and they sell lots of merch. With Hurts, the games were exciting to watch again. They just needed to win a couple of more games. A good OC and new special teams coach could have gone a long way. Their lack of great punt returns and long punts didn't help. 

Just now, Bwestbrook36 said:

With the current projections to either burrow from 2022s cap or have that cap dramatically rise due to the new income coming in...

That road goes on forever.

But not really expecting to be competitive. 

8 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

Obviously we can get under the cap. League rules require that. That’s a red herring. 

The obvious point that shouldn’t have to be clarified, (but apparently does), is that you have to be under the cap while still remaining one of the strongest teams capable of truly competing for a championship. A world championship. Not a cool hat for winning an extremely weak division championship. 

I guess I should repost this...

Just now, EagleJoe8 said:

But not really expecting to be competitive. 

Pfffft who needs to be competitive? You expect to much. 

Pfffft who needs to be competitive? You expect to much. 

I know. I’m just an ass like that. 

I know. I’m just an ass like that. 

Agreed 😜

Agreed 😜

<_< You could have argued a little bit...

😛 

<_< You could have argued a little bit...

😛 

I've never really trolled on here.... I kind of like it lol

8 minutes ago, Infam said:

Is this some kind of mantra one has to believe in?

Ok fine, lets go for it!

Hurts, Goedert, Sanders, Mailata, Driscoll, Sweat - all of them probably hits, right? 

Haven't given up on Dillard or Barnett. Super confident on Reagor! 

I actually liked Mills at safety, when he was able to play there and not forced to play outside CB, and I think Maddox makes for a pretty decent slot CB.

Hargraves sure looked like a stud, didn't he? Picking up Fulgham and Edwards on the cheap sure doesn't look terrible either.

So is his evaluation "putrid" ? No way.

Driscoll is a bang average back up swing tackle, Sanders is a guy who the team don't trust as an every down back, Goedert looked good until he was handed the #1 job with Ertz injuries this year and his yardages somehow went down. Mailata was an athletic freak who teams were queueing up to take a late round flyer on, Hurts looked as good as Wentz in Wentz worst season, it remains to be seen where it ends up, also Goedert and Hurts were picked second round as back ups when the roster had holes, we traded back to pick Goedert and missed 3 future pro bowlers at positions (LB, RB and WR) we needed in doing so, we have Miles Sanders at tail back, we could've had Nick Chubb, who's a home run hitter AND an every down back, if we hadn't traded back out of 32 and taken a back up Tight end. It's not necessarily just talent evaluation, its picking for what the team needs, Goedert and Hurts could both go on to be 1st team all pro at some point and they'd still be bad picks in the second round with the needs the team had.

Sweat and Hargrave look good, but the chances of them both being here next year is questionable, Sweat is in the last year of a cheap contract and Hargrave is in the middle of an expensive ones as the team is in cap hell, I'd expect one or both to be dealt,  because as it is we can't afford to sign Sweat to an extension (cap magic).

Nobody can be super confident on Reagor, his yardages and TD's are behind pretty much every other receiver drafted in the first two rounds and were blown into the weeds by Jefferson who was the consensus pick for where we were with the needs we had, Reagor was the sort of pick everyone used to rag Al Davis for 'screw the talent show me the speed'. I can tell you now we won't be looking back on their careers in ten years time and saying thank god we took Reagor over Jefferson.

Travis Fulgham is a walk on who had a hot streak, by the end of the season he couldn't catch COVID at an indoor Trump Rally, also worth pointing out even if he was any good we wouldn't be able to sign him this off season anyway (cap magic).

2 minutes ago, Infam said:

I hope at least some of you guys will eat crow if next season we look drastically improved.

Even Lurie thinks we're going to struggle and he's literally trying to make money selling tickets to watch us.

I'm convinced you're yanking peoples chains here, I'm sure you've been slating Howie and Doug just as bad in previous in season threads.

1 minute ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

Driscoll is a bang average back up swing tackle, Sanders is a guy who the team don't trust as an every down back, Goedert looked good until he was handed the #1 job with Ertz injuries this year and his yardages somehow went down. Mailata was an athletic freak who teams were queueing up to take a late round flyer on, Hurts looked as good as Wentz in Wentz worst season, it remains to be seen where it ends up, also Goedert and Hurts were picked second round as back ups when the roster had holes, we traded back to pick Goedert and missed 3 future pro bowlers at positions (LB, RB and WR) we needed in doing so, we have Miles Sanders at tail back, we could've had Nick Chubb, who's a home run hitter AND an every down back, if we hadn't traded back out of 32 and taken a back up Tight end. It's not necessarily just talent evaluation, its picking for what the team needs, Goedert and Hurts could both go on to be 1st team all pro at some point and they'd still be bad picks in the second round with the needs the team had.

Sweat and Hargrave look good, but the chances of them both being here next year is questionable, Sweat is in the last year of a cheap contract and Hargrave is in the middle of an expensive ones as the team is in cap hell, I'd expect one or both to be dealt,  because as it is we can't afford to sign Sweat to an extension (cap magic).

Nobody can be super confident on Reagor, his yardages and TD's are behind pretty much every other receiver drafted in the first two rounds and were blown into the weeds by Jefferson who was the consensus pick for where we were with the needs we had, Reagor was the sort of pick everyone used to rag Al Davis for 'screw the talent show me the speed'. I can tell you now we won't be looking back on their careers in ten years time and saying thank god we took Reagor over Jefferson.

Travis Fulgham is a walk on who had a hot streak, by the end of the season he couldn't catch COVID at an indoor Trump Rally, also worth pointing out even if he was any good we wouldn't be able to sign him this off season anyway (cap magic).

You know with how many other teams I can play that game, where I look at wo they pick and where and then find another guy that was more successful in his first year that they didn't took? All over the draft? 31. Because that's how it works.

That said I think you are waaaaaay too pessimistic about the talent on our roster. And you will see next season.

Just now, Cochis_Calhoun said:

Even Lurie thinks we're going to struggle and he's literally trying to make money selling tickets to watch us.

I'm convinced you're yanking peoples chains here, I'm sure you've been slating Howie and Doug just as bad in previous in season threads.

I never did. That's not me. I liked Wentz, DP and Mr. Roseman overall. I lost faith in Wentz this season, and I was sad about some picks Mr. Roseman made, but I never thought he did a bad job overall nor did I think we are terrible as a team or organization in general.

7 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

I've never really trolled on here.... I kind of like it lol

Lol

I won't miss Doug ' I won't give up play-calling because it's too much fun' Pederson.  (Yes he said that this season)

I also won't miss his complete inability to game plan towards his players strengths,  or develop young talent.  Young players don't come into the league a finished product, and Doug with his made-up coaching positions never did them any favors.

Archived