Eagles and Doug Pederson "part ways" - All discussion here

phil77

39 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Oh I completely agree with that.  I do believe that was probably the biggest sticking point between the 2 of them ... the reports made earlier (when announced Mornhinweg and Scangarello would not be retained) mentioned the team would hire a "traditional" OC.  I do think that description came from above Doug.  He was given a directive.  They wanted him to have an experienced, innovative coordinator to help get the offense on track (following the blueprint they had with Doug's initial staff when Reich and Flip were both here ... both former OCs with plenty of experience in the role).  Taylor has zero experience.  Just as Groh did - look how that turned out.  

I don't necessarily think that the lack of experience was the main factor though..after all, guys like AR and John Harbaugh had no experience in (traditional OC/DC) coordinator roles before becoming HCs....if the guy had innovative ideas and could sell them..it might have been work exploring..HOWEVER....

....were I a fly in that room during the 2nd meeting, I'm sure I would have been as dumbfounded as Lurie when the HC told me that he wanted to PROMOTE the guy who failed miserably at his job (QB coach)....and naturally that would not instill confidence in the plan going forward

I wonder if the Jets are looking at Doug to be Saleh’s OC. Bringing in an experienced, team guy like Doug would make a lot of sense.

4 minutes ago, SBorBust said:

I wonder if the Jets are looking at Doug to be Saleh’s OC. Bringing in an experienced, team guy like Doug would make a lot of sense.

I doubt DP is planning to be a coordinator.

If this was about Doug's ability to pick his own staff, what kind of coach are we going to get who is ok with Lurie and Howie assembling the staff?

Listening to Lurie's press conference it's pretty clear to me that Howie will be the last man standing. They will trade Wentz for picks and cap relief. Depending on the new HC I can see Howie wanting to build an offense around his new toy Hurts. I could even see him trading Hurts too and drafting a QB with the first pick. We're in for a total rebuild and it's gonna get interesting with Howie doing the building.

I must admit that I'm not happy about Doug being the scapegoat here.  If anything, he has proven that with the right people around him he can be championship level effective.  He is a player's coach, a good leader and he takes accountability for his own failures.  I would have liked to see the organization try to bring in some real talent at OC to help him with play design and calling.  That to me is the one constant that we haven't had since 2017. 

Good bye Doug.  You deserved better than what you got here.  

19 hours ago, Hawkeye said:

Andy Reid's right hand man in KC, Eric Bieniemy, gets the gig.  Book it. 

I hope not!

11 hours ago, [TSM]_PimpDaddyPain said:

Bad analogy since people using alternative treatment live way longer. 

You have research to back up that claim?

My oncologist would disagree.

15 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

No actually it isn’t. Did you hear the Cowboys say after last year we will let the new coach decide to keep Dak? 

Telling a prospective new hire Head Coach that he MUST work with either Wentz or Hurts will certainly expand the pool of prospects vying for the job. If Jeffrey & Howie are going to tell the new head coach which QB he must play, what else are they going to insist he must do? Maybe Richie Kotite would be interested in such an arrangement but no good HC prospect is going to consider it.

For all his strengths and weaknesses as a coach  Doug like Andy seems a very likable guy unlike Chip.  I wish him all the best in his future endeavor and will def be cheering for his success.

Yet another wishy-washy reply from Lurie, "you don't deserve to be fired but you're fired". What da??

I hope the idea that a team takes on the personality of it's coach doesn't extend to the owner, dude is wishy-washy

Thank you Doug for giving us a magical season in 2017. Im so glad you took your head out of your butt after the week 2 lose to KC and gave up the game planning and scripting to Frank which turned this team into the top offense in the league and our SB win. I will always appreciate your decisions that season. Wish you well and don't let the door hit you on the way out. 

47 minutes ago, Gannan said:

If this was about Doug's ability to pick his own staff, what kind of coach are we going to get who is ok with Lurie and Howie assembling the staff?

Per Mike Lombardi: Two years ago the Jets missed out hiring Matt Ruhl because they insisted he hire Gregg Williams as DC.

1 hour ago, EaglesfanfromND said:

Listening to Lurie's press conference it's pretty clear to me that Howie will be the last man standing. They will trade Wentz for picks and cap relief. Depending on the new HC I can see Howie wanting to build an offense around his new toy Hurts. I could even see him trading Hurts too and drafting a QB with the first pick. We're in for a total rebuild and it's gonna get interesting with Howie doing the building.

that would be potentially disastrous if it backfired (drafting a QB at #6)...unless you KNOW for a fact you are drafting Aaron Rodgers....

Because of 2017 and that SB my wife and I met some wonderful friends while watching the Eagles that season. 

Your winning us the SB has had implications far beyond football. Thank you!

p.s. I hope you learned about handling egomaniacal QBs while here because you will face them again at your next stop!

4 hours ago, wyote said:

I mean of course we're all subconsciously affected by things like that and none of us know it. 

Calm down, man. Your anger isn't going to make a difference to anything but your own health. 

My anger is reserved for politics and other things that actually affect our lives.      This is fun and games.

But please carry on with your dime store psychology. 

1 hour ago, eglz1 said:

Telling a prospective new hire Head Coach that he MUST work with either Wentz or Hurts will certainly expand the pool of prospects vying for the job. If Jeffrey & Howie are going to tell the new head coach which QB he must play, what else are they going to insist he must do? Maybe Richie Kotite would be interested in such an arrangement but no good HC prospect is going to consider it.

Starting to think that Howie is our version of Jerry Jones

1 hour ago, eglz1 said:

Such an odd statement. First off guaranteeing that Wentz would be here is NOT telling the new coach who he must play, but if Carson is so good then why are we suddenly acting like he’s easily replaceable? Please tell me when there was a time when a team after getting a new coach just acted like their "franchise quarterback” can just be replaced by the backup? 

1 minute ago, EazyEaglez said:

Such an odd statement. First off guaranteeing that Wentz would be here is NOT telling the new coach who he must play, but if Carson is so good then why are we suddenly acting like he’s easily replaceable? Please tell me when there was a time when a team after getting a new coach just acted like their "franchise quarterback” can just be replaced by the backup? 

I'm saying neither Lurie nor Howie should be telling a new HC which quarterback to play. Is that difficult to understand? Get off your "FRANCHISE QUARTERBACK" crap for the moment please.

Thanks Doug, I mean you're never going to read this but I need to waste a little time at work

2 hours ago, eglz1 said:

I think what's going to happen is that during the interviews they will ask the potential hires how they plan to fix Carson. How will the offense help him? What mechanical areas do they see needs work? So they won't be directly telling the coach that they have to start Wentz, but like Cosell mentioned on his podcast, in the NFL, if you spend that much draft capital on Carson the organization's job is to make sure he's successful. Thus, they are doing everything they can do to accomplish that goal.

3 minutes ago, eglz1 said:

I'm saying neither Lurie nor Howie should be telling a new HC which quarterback to play. 

Agreed.  By doing that it could potentially limit the number of candidates interested in the position.  

1 hour ago, kentwo said:

I think what's going to happen is that during the interviews they will ask the potential hires how they plan to fix Carson. How will the offense help him? What mechanical areas do they see needs work? So they won't be directly telling the coach that they have to start Wentz, but like Cosell mentioned on his podcast, in the NFL, if you spend that much draft capital on Carson the organization's job is to make sure he's successful. Thus, they are doing everything they can do to accomplish that goal.

Yes sir.

8 minutes ago, c_u_in_tampa said:

image.png.1301554d662e2016b38563c585e8c9c1.png

CNN: "Orange man bad"

Archived