Eagles and Doug Pederson "part ways" - All discussion here

phil77

They want a minority coach. Howie will probably bring in Stacy Adams or Marvin Lewis.

44 minutes ago, Miami said:

Yes sir.

Yupyup.  This is about making wentz work.  This is about finding the coach that can make this offense dangerous with wentz.  

good luck. 

2 hours ago, eglz1 said:

I'm saying neither Lurie nor Howie should be telling a new HC which quarterback to play. Is that difficult to understand? Get off your "FRANCHISE QUARTERBACK" crap for the moment please.

That ship sailed when doug got fired dont ya think?

2 hours ago, eglz1 said:

I'm saying neither Lurie nor Howie should be telling a new HC which quarterback to play. Is that difficult to understand? Get off your "FRANCHISE QUARTERBACK" crap for the moment please.

Sorry, but that’s a load of crap. No team is hiring a coach that doesn’t want their franchise quarterback. Yeah and the fact to owner is paying the guy, and flew to meet the guy before they drafted him is a joke to say he’s not involved. Get a clue and realize Lurie isn’t some hapless stand-off owner who only lets his football people do this stuff. With that being the case that still has absolutely nothing to do with the owner saying if Wentz would be here or not. Last time I checked the GM is still here. Whoever becomes the coach has nothing to do with the Eagles trading Wentz. For all we know Wentz could be gone before they even hire a guy.

2 hours ago, NJWolverEagle11 said:

Starting to think that Howie is our version of Jerry Jones

Or Lurie is.  It was reported last year that he wanted Groh and Walch fired and wanted Doug to get these outside voices.  It was reported yesterday that Lurie wanted them to draft JJAW.  We know he was heavily involved in drafting Carson Wentz, flying out to ND to meet with him and all that.  Doug wanted out too, he didn't want to be told who he could hire on his staff.

Lurie needs to hire a competent GM who first and foremost will build with success through the draft, and supplement with trades and free agents.  And hire a HC who can decide his own staff.

2 hours ago, kentwo said:

if you spend that much draft capital on Carson the organization's job is to make sure he's successful. Thus, they are doing everything they can do to accomplish that goal.

That sounds nice, but exactly how did using a #2 on another QB instead of an offensive weapon help to make Wentz more successful?

8 minutes ago, mjkvol said:

That sounds nice, but exactly how did using a #2 on another QB instead of an offensive weapon help to make Wentz more successful?

That's a great question for Howie.

Oh, I forgot. QB Factory.

14 minutes ago, NOTW said:

Or Lurie is.  It was reported last year that he wanted Groh and Walch fired and wanted Doug to get these outside voices.  It was reported yesterday that Lurie wanted them to draft JJAW.  We know he was heavily involved in drafting Carson Wentz, flying out to ND to meet with him and all that.  Doug wanted out too, he didn't want to be told who he could hire on his staff.

Lurie needs to hire a competent GM who first and foremost will build with success through the draft, and supplement with trades and free agents.  And hire a HC who can decide his own staff.

But if those reports are true, then the last thing Lurie wants is a competent GM that doesn't buy into the inane "collaborative" decision making process he clearly favors, and he wants to meddle in the coach's business as well.

It seems that all our talk about the proper way to build a winning organization is moot.         Roseman is the perfect "GM" in Lurie's emotionally intelligent system, where he is part of the process when personnel decisions are made.         This is clearly the way Lurie wants it to be, and he has the perfect stooge in Roseman.

Thank the good Lord for 2017, because it's highly unlikely we will see one of those again any time soon, or not so soon. 

3 minutes ago, kentwo said:

That's a great question for Howie.

Oh, I forgot. QB Factory.

You nailed it.         Silly of me to forget so soon.

11 hours ago, Infam said:

I think this is all the truth. I think he really let us look into his thought process. And yes, that's really all this is: a process. And one that is data driven for us. They all worked together on this one, and besides this BS "all is bad with the Eagles" attitude all around here, we DO have a really good structure. And I DO believe Mr. Roseman will do a good job for us moving forward.

So what if it IS true that Lurie wanted a rebuild, and Pederson wanted another all-in year to save his reputation. With Taylor as OC. Lurie may well be right that DP had to go to keep rebuilding. Mr. Roseman is still a cap wizard, and I felt when Lurie said his evaluation of the performance of our GM, relative to all the other teams was fair and that he would have fired him otherwise - that THAT is actually true.

I know how emotional you are, you went nuts about that Hurts pick too, and that will probably turn into the future, but if not it sure will turn into a really good pick. Give things a bit of time to play out. But I am telling you: Not all is lost. We still have a good organization with some really good pieces. I am confident this will be the one year exception and despite the rebuild we will be a lot better next year already.

I'll have what he is having. 🤣

10 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

He's not a cap wizard. He kicked the can down the road and this is the end result of that. 

Smoke and mirrors...

1 hour ago, NOTW said:

Hc and Gm (and owner) need to be on the same page but that seems to be hard to do w Howie in the equation

3 hours ago, eaglegenius said:

They want a minority coach. Howie will probably bring in Stacy Adams or Marvin Lewis.

Stacy Adams makes a good shoe

14 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Spot on bud. But do you know what? They've done Doug a favour I think. This team is a sinking ship with Howie at the helm and I think after the next year or two a lot of people and teams may realise that Doug was the least of its problems. 

I agree, he should be able to bounce back wherever he lands like Andy Reid did in KC. There’s a good chance he'll avoid the front office politics he faced here on a new team.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if we get turned down by all of our top choice external candidates and end up with Duce Staley as the head coach, with Jeff Lurie spinning it off as the "guy that made the most sense the whole time", or something about the "value of diversity", etc..

I don't mind having a minority HC at all for the record, but there's a difference from hiring a highly sought candidate like Robert Saleh or Eric Bieniemy saying he's the guy you wanted all along versus internally promoting Duce to HC because he's the only guy who would take this job and allow Howie and Jeff Lurie to meddle with his staff picks.

Then again if we do promote Duce, it would be extremely important to surround him with veteran coordinators, especially on the defensive side of the ball where the DC will essentially be the head coach of defense. 

3 hours ago, eaglegenius said:

Marvin does have experience in the past working with ginger QBs.

6 minutes ago, mihailo said:

Marvin does have experience in the past working with ginger QBs.

Ginger QB's without a playoff win 🙂

Should of kept Foles after Superbowl. Now going to choose Wentz again over Pederson? Wentz is the issue, not the coach. Pederson is able to coach up other players. He has a better record with other QBs. Wentz doesnt allow or listen to any coaching. He was anointed an elite QB  to early after 1 year... He's still going to have the same locker room issues, still have to walk by statue's. Didn't think the eagles brass would make this stupid decision again. Take the eagles of the jerseys and throw Wentz mug on it. Mind boggling...

25 minutes ago, manz2821 said:

Ginger QB's without a playoff win 🙂

Ouch lol.

We're going to hear all sorts of crazy rumors, speculation and gossip this offseason.  

Just now, NOTW said:

We're going to hear all sorts of crazy rumors, speculation and gossip this offseason.  

Why the hell would they want to fire him then? :blink: 

Hell, I wasn't thrilled when Doug was hired. I didn't feel that good about him after 2016 either, but I didn't think anything specific to the 2016 season was egregious enough to warrant his firing either.

5 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

Why the hell would they want to fire him then? :blink: 

Hell, I wasn't thrilled when Doug was hired. I didn't feel that good about him after 2016 either, but I didn't think anything specific to the 2016 season was egregious enough to warrant his firing either.

Who knows if it's even true.  You can have disgruntled former coaches or players throwing things out there, agents making their clients look good, reporters looking for attention, people who know these players and coaches that just talk ish and get the reporter to give them $20 for a quote.  :lol:

But man there always seems to be all this gossip and dysfunction around this team.

4 minutes ago, NOTW said:

Who knows if it's even true.  You can have disgruntled former coaches or players throwing things out there, agents making their clients look good, reporters looking for attention, people who know these players and coaches that just talk ish and get the reporter to give them $20 for a quote.  :lol:

But man there always seems to be all this gossip and dysfunction around this team.

I agree. I tend to blindly believe very little of what's reported. That story just makes no sense, unless Reich is a deek behind closed doors and wanting to fire him wasn't football related.

11 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

I agree. I tend to blindly believe very little of what's reported. That story just makes no sense, unless Reich is a deek behind closed doors and wanting to fire him wasn't football related.

I don’t know about the latter part ... Foles and Wentz seemed to talk pretty highly of him.  

21 minutes ago, time2rock said:

I don’t know about the latter part ... Foles and Wentz seemed to talk pretty highly of him.  

Oh absolutely. I'm just saying that would be the only thing that made sense. I didn't think anyone on the staff deserved to be fired after the 2016 season.

If you check out twitter search you can see a lot of people wanting Doug for a HC or OC. Seeing Chargers, Jets, and Hawks being mentioned a lot

You'd think they never saw our games

Archived