Eagles and Doug Pederson "part ways" - All discussion here

phil77

1 minute ago, Bloodtype_Green said:

I won't miss Doug ' I won't give up play-calling because it's too much fun' Pederson.  (Yes he said that this season)

I also won't miss his complete inability to game plan towards his players strengths,  or develop young talent.  Young players don't come into the league a finished product, and Doug with his made-up coaching positions never did them any favors.

I think DP was a good HC, a "Leader of Men" and I loved him for going for it on 4th and trusting his team that way.

But it always took everybody else to get hurt for him to play guys that looked good but never got a real shot. It really took ages for players to get snaps, even when the guys before them failed hard. He sure is slow to put the next man up, to a point where he only would if forced to do so.

8 hours ago, wyote said:

I understand that Howie is very unpopular with the media and fans, but I think that has more to do with his appearance and image than with his actual performance compared to other NFL GMs.

Speaking for myself, it has to do 100% with his performance - I don't and never did believe he had any business running drafts and making decisions on building a football team.          I don't give a rat's ass about his appearance.             

Aside from one charmed season where every move he made turned to gold, he has been exposed as his trademark "bargain" signings and locking up better than average players haven't worked as band aids to make up for one mediocre draft after another.            The cap situation has become a nightmare for a team desperately short on high end young talent to build around.

And if Lurie is seriously going to give this guy the reins again as well put him in charge of the coaching hire, then he can't care all that much about winning.        Roseman's presence almost guarantees another Reid retread as coach, because what solid outside candidate in his right mind would want to come here and work under this clown? 

Just now, mjkvol said:

Speaking for myself, it has to do 100% with his performance ...      I don't give a rat's ass about his appearance.             

Of course we will all think something like that. Doesn't mean it's true. 

39 minutes ago, Infam said:

For centuries. Welcome to capitalism.

First, government spending isn't capitalism, but that's a whole different issue.      But the big difference as well is that the country can keep printing money, as their is clearly no "cap" on national spending.          

Just now, wyote said:

The performance of Roseman has objectively to do with that he is a weasel and a snake who doesn't get along well with people because he is false and a backstabber.

Yeah.. Glad everyone is so damn objective when it comes to Mr. Roseman.

2 minutes ago, wyote said:

Doesn't mean what's true, how I feel?          What the hell does that even mean?

Just now, mjkvol said:

First, government spending isn't capitalism, but that's a whole different issue.      But the big difference as well is that the country can keep printing money, as their is clearly no "cap" on national spending.          

The cap is moving on conveniently , and will continue to do so to enable a functioning league with ever increasing salaries. Trust me.

4 minutes ago, mjkvol said:

Doesn't mean what's true, how I feel?          What the hell does that even mean?

I mean of course we're all subconsciously affected by things like that and none of us know it. 

Calm down, man. Your anger isn't going to make a difference to anything but your own health. 

1 hour ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Lurie is the one that said they wanted to keep running it back to try and capture the super bowl. So they finally realize it's not going to work and then fire Doug for still thinking they can win? What kind of sheet is he on? Did they expect Doug to just lay down and say yeah let's go out there and lose for the future! 

He sure seemed to say a lot of things that contradict other things he said.  I wonder when he was talking about the strategy that they were supposedly all on board with in trying to win another Super Bowl (the short term roster strategy running it back with those aging vets ... that were necessary mind you because of terrible drafting) isn't the same as the "running it back" strategy he made in reference to Doug.  Perhaps the latter was only in regard to Doug's plan for the coaching staff?  

9 hours ago, wyote said:

Yeah, because if you were inclined to respect him, you'd see all of that some other way. 

You believe what you want to believe. 

This literally makes no sense.  Are you wearing Sex Panther?

5 minutes ago, time2rock said:

He sure seemed to say a lot of things that contradict other things he said.  I wonder when he was talking about the strategy that they were supposedly all on board with in trying to win another Super Bowl (the short term roster strategy running it back with those aging vets ... that were necessary mind you because of terrible drafting) isn't the same as the "running it back" strategy he made in reference to Doug.  Perhaps the latter was only in regard to Doug's plan for the coaching staff?  

It must of been because all I keep seeing is that Doug wanted press taylor for OC.  Which is a terrible idea and also makes me think that's why lurie said he needs a leader of coaches. 

1 hour ago, Bloodtype_Green said:

I won't miss Doug ' I won't give up play-calling because it's too much fun' Pederson.  (Yes he said that this season)

Yeah but you'll miss Doug the water bottle fellater.

https://youtu.be/nhgb-YPI4II

5 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

It must of been because all I keep seeing is that Doug wanted press taylor for OC.  Which is a terrible idea and also makes me think that's why lurie said he needs a leader of coaches. 

To be fair to Doug, Lurie and Howie's idea was the confederacy of dunces we had advising the offense this year, it's hard to see how Press Taylor could be worse, people are slating that idea while at the same time suggesting going with Duce 'maybe your hand is too hot, time to sit out a couple of plays' Staley for HC.

3 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

That "leader of coaches" comment seems like a nicer way of stating "ability to assemble a respectable staff".  

But who knows, maybe some of the assistant coaches did question Doug behind closed doors.  They see some of the really questionable decisions he makes during games and probably scratch their heads as much as we do.  A good leader of coaches could mean making decisions that your staff buys into fully, that they trust you know what you are doing.  

Anyway, not like we'll ever have answers to any of these questions being posed here (and not like we are entitled to answers either).  

3 minutes ago, time2rock said:

That "leader of coaches" comment seems like a nicer way of stating "ability to assemble a respectable staff".  

But who knows, maybe some of the assistant coaches did question Doug behind closed doors.  They see some of the really questionable decisions he makes during games and probably scratch their heads as much as we do.  A good leader of coaches could mean making decisions that your staff buys into fully, that they trust you know what you are doing.  

Anyway, not like we'll ever have answers to any of these questions being posed here (and not like we are entitled to answers either).  

I just think if Doug really wanted press taylor it just seems stupid to me. So your QB regresses to the worst QB in the league and your sales pitch to your boss is to promote the QB coach to offensive coordinator..... Now I'm not saying it went down as simply as that but, if that's is what Doug wanted to do I think I would of told him to get his ass out of my office too lol

I was very shocked to hear this news and very surprised how the head coach is blamed for players injury's and players not playing tough enough to win games. Looks like another interesting off season to wait and see what moved Howie does with the next round of drafting or trading for players.

10 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

I just think if Doug really wanted press taylor it just seems stupid to me. So your QB regresses to the worst QB in the league and your sales pitch to your boss is to promote the QB coach to offensive coordinator..... Now I'm not saying it went down as simply as that but, if that's is what Doug wanted to do I think I would of told him to get his ass out of my office too lol

Oh I completely agree with that.  I do believe that was probably the biggest sticking point between the 2 of them ... the reports made earlier (when announced Mornhinweg and Scangarello would not be retained) mentioned the team would hire a "traditional" OC.  I do think that description came from above Doug.  He was given a directive.  They wanted him to have an experienced, innovative coordinator to help get the offense on track (following the blueprint they had with Doug's initial staff when Reich and Flip were both here ... both former OCs with plenty of experience in the role).  Taylor has zero experience.  Just as Groh did - look how that turned out.  

2 hours ago, Infam said:

Is this some kind of mantra one has to believe in?

Ok fine, lets go for it!

Hurts, Goedert, Sanders, Mailata, Driscoll, Sweat - all of them probably hits, right? 

Haven't given up on Dillard or Barnett. Super confident on Reagor! 

I actually liked Mills at safety, when he was able to play there and not forced to play outside CB, and I think Maddox makes for a pretty decent slot CB.

Hargraves sure looked like a stud, didn't he? Picking up Fulgham and Edwards on the cheap sure doesn't look terrible either.

So is his evaluation "putrid" ? No way.

You can’t give him credit for doing his job. Of course, he’s going to have some hits. A monkey could throw darts at a draft board and get some picks right. The problem is he doesn’t know how to evaluate players. Case and point he drafted two WR’s in back to back drafts and totally got the picks wrong. 

Hargraves was a dumb signing. At the time, we had no one at CB and James Bradberry was out there and he signs Hargraves instead. Then he has to give up draft capital and trade for an aging Darius Slay who’s not as good. He’s clueless. 

Like I’ve always said, he’s a fantasy football nerd playing GM for the Philadelphia Eagles. 

8 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Oh I completely agree with that.  I do believe that was probably the biggest sticking point between the 2 of them ... the reports made earlier (when announced Mornhinweg and Scangarello would not be retained) mentioned the team would hire a "traditional" OC.  I do think that description came from above Doug.  He was given a directive.  They wanted him to have an experienced, innovative coordinator to help get the offense on track (following the blueprint they had with Doug's initial staff when Reich and Flip were both here ... both former OCs with plenty of experience in the role).  Taylor has zero experience.  Just as Groh did - look how that turned out.  

And press taylor was also the passing game coordinator and it looked like there was too many times that the QB and recievers had no idea where they were supposed to be or running into each other

1 minute ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

And press taylor was also the passing game coordinator and it looked like there was too many times that the QB and recievers had no idea where they were supposed to be or running into each other

It most definitely did not resemble a well-oiled machine!  :lol:

Seriously, you watch some of these other offenses and how they click and can't help to be envious.  I'm sure Lurie feels the same.  

The offense stunk this past year, the level of QB regression was at a historically high level, and Doug wants to promote one of the main guys responsible for those areas.  He is just clueless when it comes to doing what it takes to assemble a strong staff.  His ability to assemble a staff is as bad as Howie's abilities in talent evaluation.   

49 minutes ago, VeeMak said:

This literally makes no sense.  Are you wearing Sex Panther?

Sex Panther wears me when it works. 

Just now, Infam said:

Weakest response in quite some time.

He shows up. Who cares? Do your job well. 

Archived