Eagles and Doug Pederson "part ways" - All discussion here

phil77

7 minutes ago, Mr_Philly said:

I like Doug and he will always hold a place in my heart for SB 52 but I just think it was time. The O was looking stale, the team was very undisciplined and unprepared, quite frankly giving him another year wasn’t going to change things. In my honest opinion he was very close to losing the team, I think Lurie made the right decision.

I agree. I just don’t think Lurie made ALL the right decisions. 

17 minutes ago, Mr_Philly said:

I like Doug and he will always hold a place in my heart for SB 52 but I just think it was time. The O was looking stale, the team was very undisciplined and unprepared, quite frankly giving him another year wasn’t going to change things. In my honest opinion he was very close to losing the team, I think Lurie made the right decision.

I think this was just a result of a tough a** year. I mean so many unpredictable and unexpected things went wrong. Most importantly Wentz sucking a**.........no one saw that coming, then the O-Line got injured again. Same song with defense. Shuffling players. 

We saw guys play their butts off for Doug even through weeks 12-15 but that final game against WFT I think turned a few heads. I don't think there was ever guys needing to be held back but sure seems a lot of players were baffled, including Sudfeld himself. Doug did not help himself with that bone headed decision. 

53 minutes ago, Maga301 said:

I think this was just a result of a tough a** year. I mean so many unpredictable and unexpected things went wrong. Most importantly Wentz sucking a**.........no one saw that coming, then the O-Line got injured again. Same song with defense. Shuffling players. 

We saw guys play their butts off for Doug even through weeks 12-15 but that final game against WFT I think turned a few heads. I don't think there was ever guys needing to be held back but sure seems a lot of players were baffled, including Sudfeld himself. Doug did not help himself with that bone headed decision. 

Putting in suds told me doug was going to be retained.   I was dead wrong.  I have no clue what his reason was for pulling hurts other than maybe trying to coddle wentz’s feefees on case he kept his job. 

1 hour ago, EagleJoe8 said:

I agree. I just don’t think Lurie made ALL the right decisions. 

I dont agree. With injuries, wentz playing worse than any starter in the league, no help from the draft, and covid,  he deserved a chance to turn things around

but who knows really.  Doug may have actually wanted to go.   

45 minutes ago, SNOORDA said:

Putting in suds told me doug was going to be retained.   I was dead wrong.  I have no clue what his reason was for pulling hurts other than maybe trying to coddle wentz’s feefees on case he kept his job. 

I believed Doug's answer on this one actually.  He is a player's coach.  He is a former backup QB.  He was giving Suds playing time in the last game.  

38 minutes ago, SNOORDA said:

I dont agree. With injuries, wentz playing worse than any starter in the league, no help from the draft, and covid,  he deserved a chance to turn things around

but who knows really.  Doug may have actually wanted to go.   

I meant all, meaning Howie should have gone too. 

On 1/11/2021 at 5:36 PM, Infam said:

Super excessive overreaction, just because he doesn't want to fire our GM. The dude that should've been manager of the year not long ago.

But hey, always on the guy all love to hate. And if the owner isn't following because he actually has a clue about what is going on with the team, let's go crazy on him too.

Got to say, sometimes I wonder how much religion and stereotypes are to blame for your reactions.

So you are saying it's perfectly reasonable for Lurie to dictate every hire on Doug's staff?  You realize that ish only happens with super dysfunctional teams with horrible owners like Jerrah and 'lil Danny?  I guess we can now count ourselves among the dysfunction.  

Not long ago it was Big Balls Doug, now you are A-OK to toss him to the curb and excuse the GM who has had HOW MANY TERRIBLE drafts in row now?  Neither Vince Lombardi nor Knute Rockne could coach the "little Sisters of the Poor" talent level team Howie has given us, to a winning record.

You a relative of Howie or something? Or just incapable of objectively looking at the slop Howie has drafted over the last five+ years?

5 hours ago, CountBlah said:

So you are saying it's perfectly reasonable for Lurie to dictate every hire on Doug's staff?  You realize that ish only happens with super dysfunctional teams with horrible owners like Jerrah and 'lil Danny?  I guess we can now count ourselves among the dysfunction.  

I agree Lurie shouldn't be heavily involved in the football decisions but I do think he should have some involvement. At the end of the day he's the owner, he puts his money in to this organisation so he's going to want to be involved in some shape or form. I think it would be incredibly difficult for any owner not to want to be involved in some way. 

Howie: I want to draft Hurts, QB factory!

Doug: We have Wentz though?

Lurie: I’ll allow it.

Doug: Hey, this Hurts kid isn’t too bad!

Lurie: Off with Doug’s head!

Howie: *court jester intensifies*

27 minutes ago, NOTW said:

I believed Doug's answer on this one actually.  He is a player's coach.  He is a former backup QB.  He was giving Suds playing time in the last game.  

Never thought of that.  But player coach or not you dont pull your starting qb just to do another player a solid.  That’s weak.  

6 minutes ago, SNOORDA said:

Never thought of that.  But player coach or not you dont pull your starting qb just to do another player a solid.  That’s weak.  

Teams do it all the time when they're eliminated from the playoffs.  Put in the backups to give them playing time.  The only reason people got upset about this is because another team's playoff changes were affected.  If the Giants were also eliminated and the WFT had 10 wins and clinched the division and the Eagles said they want to evaluate some younger/backup players heading into next season this would have been a non-story.  

13 minutes ago, NOTW said:

Teams do it all the time when they're eliminated from the playoffs.  Put in the backups to give them playing time.  The only reason people got upset about this is because another team's playoff changes were affected.  If the Giants were also eliminated and the WFT had 10 wins and clinched the division and the Eagles said they want to evaluate some younger/backup players heading into next season this would have been a non-story.  

Well if the game was a 1pm or 4pm kickoff it wouldn't have been a story either. They put us in primetime for no damn reason. 

But at the same time Sudfeld had no business seeing the field. Hurts in 4 games already did more than Sudfeld has done in his career. Hurts deserved the opportunity to finish that game and I think that is what players got mad about. No disrespect to Sudfeld but he's been a lifelong #3 QB. Hurts passed Sudfeld in training camp and earned the #2 spot. Pederson did Hurts wrong by that 100%. No matter if we would have won or not. When players see Doug pull that stunt, a little respect went out the window. 

No matter what Hurts becomes, that was his game to play. 

15 minutes ago, Maga301 said:

Well if the game was a 1pm or 4pm kickoff it wouldn't have been a story either. They put us in primetime for no damn reason. 

But at the same time Sudfeld had no business seeing the field. Hurts in 4 games already did more than Sudfeld has done in his career. Hurts deserved the opportunity to finish that game and I think that is what players got mad about. No disrespect to Sudfeld but he's been a lifelong #3 QB. Hurts passed Sudfeld in training camp and earned the #2 spot. Pederson did Hurts wrong by that 100%. No matter if we would have won or not. When players see Doug pull that stunt, a little respect went out the window. 

He played, he stunk for 3 quarters. People are making too big a deal out of it.

44 minutes ago, Maga301 said:

Hurts hasn't earned anything yet.  He is part of the evaluation process at this time and nothing more.  

1 hour ago, EaglesfanfromND said:

He played, he stunk for 3 quarters. People are making too big a deal out of it.

Okay so why pull him with one quarter left? We let Carson drown for how many games before he got pulled. I'm not trying to compare the two but if you argue that he stunk for 3 quarters in a meaningless game then why pull him? For Nate Sudfeld........

36 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Hurts hasn't earned anything yet.  He is part of the evaluation process at this time and nothing more.  

I get that but Sudfeld is not nor will be going to any other team being anything more than a #3 QB, which is exactly what he is. There is no more growth for Sudfeld.

7 minutes ago, Maga301 said:

Okay so why pull him with one quarter left? We let Carson drown for how many games before he got pulled. I'm not trying to compare the two but if you argue that he stunk for 3 quarters in a meaningless game then why pull him? For Nate Sudfeld........

I get that but Sudfeld is not nor will be going to any other team being anything more than a #3 QB, which is exactly what he is. There is no more growth for Sudfeld.

I believe Doug when he said he was planning to get Nate in for evaluation. The Eagles are going into a cash strapped year with uncertainty at QB. They needed to get as much information on the position as possible. This was like a fourth pre-season game. The starter was inactive, the backup got a lot of playing time, then they brought the third string guy in for a look. IF they somehow lost Wentz or Hurts this off-season, they would need to know for sure what they have in Sudfeld. Great opportunity to see him play against the starting defense that is actually playing to win. I think the main issue is that Doug's not the best communicator and could have explained those things internally better.

18 minutes ago, Maga301 said:

Highly doubt the motivation behind Doug's decision had anything to do with growth.  Suds had been here for 4 years, by all accounts was a great teammate, and rarely saw the field.  That was a gesture made by Doug to throw him a bone to thank him since his contract is up and not likely to return.  I don't know why anyone would have issue with that.

26 minutes ago, Maga301 said:

It's simple.  It was the last game of the year, and Doug wanted to get Suds time.  He's a former backup QB who is loyal to veteran players to a fault.  He just wanted to get Suds playing time.  Same reason he wants to give Jeffrey snaps, hold onto Jason Peters and Sproles.  

You may disagree with the decision, but it wasn't comparable to pulling Wentz when he was terrible and they weren't eliminated from the playoffs.  The 4th quarter of a final meaningless game is entirely different.

20 minutes ago, NOTW said:

It's simple.  It was the last game of the year, and Doug wanted to get Suds time.  He's a former backup QB who is loyal to veteran players to a fault.  He just wanted to get Suds playing time.  Same reason he wants to give Jeffrey snaps, hold onto Jason Peters and Sproles.  

You may disagree with the decision, but it wasn't comparable to pulling Wentz when he was terrible and they weren't eliminated from the playoffs.  The 4th quarter of a final meaningless game is entirely different.

I said I wasn't trying to compare. I just replied to his quote about Hurts playing for 3 qtrs and sucking so that's why he got yanked. You don't yank a sucking Hurts when A) it's expected because he's a rookie and B) what's one more quarter for a hungry rookie? At that time when Doug thought he would be coach again, I thought leaving Hurts in could've allowed Doug to evaluate Hurts more that's all I'm getting at. But in the end now we know that that doesn't matter because Doug won't be coaching Hurts.

I do see where Doug would throw Sudfeld a bone to get some playing time. And it was supposedly a plan because Doug talked to Collingsworth about it. I think it just shocked everyone else including Hurts. 

I don't know if it's been mentioned anywhere yet but Howard Eskin said on WIP today that Roseman was picking the game day roster, not Doug.

7 minutes ago, Perforator said:

I don't know if it's been mentioned anywhere yet but Howard Eskin said on WIP today that Roseman was picking the game day roster, not Doug.

It was reported earlier in the season that Howie was dictating to Doug who could dress and who should be put on IR.  The assumption was Howie wanted guys he signed/picked to get playing time to justify his decisions.  Like with many of these reports, there's no proof just reporters throwing things out.  Who knows with this team.

36 minutes ago, NOTW said:

It was reported earlier in the season that Howie was dictating to Doug who could dress and who should be put on IR.  The assumption was Howie wanted guys he signed/picked to get playing time to justify his decisions.  Like with many of these reports, there's no proof just reporters throwing things out.  Who knows with this team.

Howie and Wentz had better hope the vaccine doesn’t get distributed soon. I don’t think they understand quite how bad it’s going to get for them if this team doesn’t start 3-0 (newsflash: It won’t).

Just now, SBorBust said:

Howie and Wentz has better hope the vaccine doesn’t get distributed soon. I don’t think they understand Quite how bad it’s going to get for them if this team doesn’t start 3-0 (newsflash: They won’t).

well Lurie already admitted they aren't trying to win in 2021.

Might as well hire Deuce. What Coach is going to want to come here and be forced to play Wentz with Hurts sitting the bench, knowing that when Wentz throws an incomplete pass fans will be yelling and screaming for Hurts. What coach would want that? Not to mention the fact that this team is in a rebuilding mode and they are going to stink again next season. It's a no win situation. Better get used to losing for a couple years at least. 

Archived