Eagles and Doug Pederson "part ways" - All discussion here

phil77

21 hours ago, EagleJoe8 said:

Covid is irrelevant to my thoughts. I didn't think he was deserving of the deal after the 2018 season, but in hindsight, I wouldn't have changed my thoughts after 2019 either.

I agree. I was still skeptical after 2018 and I was on the record as saying I would have just exercised his 5th year option and let it play out. His injuries concerned me and then you add on about his practice habits, I wouldn't have done the deal then. If he just played on his 5th year option, everyone could go there merry ways in March and get a fresh a start. Now? It's a total crap show. 

On 1/16/2021 at 1:56 PM, time2rock said:

Shocked he would even consider taking that job. Ironically it would pair him with a few Howie misses, but it might be better for him to sit out a year. 

10 hours ago, Thrive said:

Well, we were almost literally sitting here five years ago doing this and then three years before that. In fact, Andy seems to have been the aberration under this ownership regime.

Lurie's owned the team for 26 seasons and has had 5 head coaches (6 if you were to count Shurmur after Chip). I don't count Shurmur, so that's 5 in 26 years. 

In that same span:

Redskins: 10
Cowboys: 7
Giants: 7

So it could be worse, but I don't like changing coaches on average every 5 years. Of course, Andy lasted 13 years, but even with that we still average a new coach every 5.2 years.  

3 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Lurie's owned the team for 26 seasons and has had 5 head coaches (6 if you were to count Shurmur after Chip). I don't count Shurmur, so that's 5 in 26 years. 

In that same span:

Redskins: 10
Cowboys: 7
Giants: 7

So it could be worse, but I don't like changing coaches on average every 5 years. Of course, Andy lasted 13 years, but even with that we still average a new coach every 5.2 years.  

I'd put an asterisk next to Kotite since he inherited him.

On 1/16/2021 at 9:23 AM, Devaster said:

Teams invest a lot of money into all sorts of players. Sometimes it takes a change of scenery and new coaching staff for them to recover their level of play. Currently, Wentz is a prime trade candidate because he is still valuable. Wentz can be viewed as damaged goods in Philly, but needing a change of scenery to revive his career. Other teams will be willing to do that provided they have the cap space to take on his contract. I think a number of teams would be interested in trading for Wentz if the Eagles decided to go that route.

Hurts isn't a long-term solution either. He never looked the part in college. I'm not sure what the team will do, but it would be nice if Wentz could stay and they could get him back to playing at his MVP-candidate level. Won't happen with Howie continuing to manage the front office though.

Didn’t watch much Oklahoma last year, I take it?

The Eagles biggest problem is not yet addressed. The draft.

maybe another team will move to Philly. My point, there are a hand full of players, maybe a few more around whom I would build. That is not exactly an NFL TEAM.

the coaches are gone

playing the old guys stopped working a few years ago. If you win a Super Bowl or WS with old guys sell them all. ( except Brady or Brees)

Can Brady win in GB? Let’s think happy thoughts.

Back to the Eagles.

1. Sell anyone over 30.

2. Draft according to the mock drafts until you can do better

3. Cut ticket prices 50%

4. Get the players a discount at their favorite gym so they can be all they can be for Sept.

5. Consider becoming a bigger Flyer and Sixer fan. The Flyers JUST BEAT PITTSBURGH IN BACK TO BACK GAMES!!!

9 hours ago, The Blackfish said:

That’s just it, let’s see Belichicks career without Brady, or the fact Reid drafting’s Mahomes  saved his career in KC.  

Mahomes was undoubtedly a "home run" for the Chiefs.  That said, who do you think drafted him and developed him into the QB he is today?  Andy Reid.

And don't be mistaken, Andy Reid had already made the playoffs FOUR times with Alex Smith as his QB before Mahomes was starting in K.C.   His career was never really in "jeopardy" but if anyone "saved it" it was Andy himself.  

On 1/16/2021 at 1:56 PM, time2rock said:

4 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

Shocked he would even consider taking that job. Ironically it would pair him with a few Howie misses, but it might be better for him to sit out a year. 

The Seattle O.C. position could make a lot of sense for Doug.  He would have complete control of the offense and he wouldn't need to deal much with the media, etc for a while...could be a decent way for him to "unwind" from everything that he had to go through this season.

Plus, if I were Doug, the first thing I would bring up (in the nicest way possible) is how much longer does Carroll plan on coaching?  I would think that he could do something along the lines of retiring as head coach but remaining as the GM if he wishes.  So if he plans on doing something along those lines within a year or two and the offense looks good under Pederson, Pederson would be a head coach again within a few years. 

11 minutes ago, Ace Nova said:

The Seattle O.C. position could make a lot of sense for Doug.  He would have complete control of the offense and he wouldn't need to deal much with the media, etc for a while...could be a decent way for him to "unwind" from everything that he had to go through this season.

Plus, if I were Doug, the first thing I would bring up (in the nicest way possible) is how much longer does Carroll plan on coaching?  I would think that he could do something along the lines of retiring as head coach but remaining as the GM if he wishes.  So if he plans on doing something along those lines within a year or two and the offense looks good under Pederson, Pederson would be a head coach again within a few years. 

That’s true if he wants to wait him out, although Carroll looks in better condition than some 40 year olds. Having an offense like Seattle should guarantee they put up points

9 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

That’s true if he wants to wait him out, although Carroll looks in better condition than some 40 year olds. Having an offense like Seattle should guarantee they put up points

He does look like he's in good health but he seems like a pretty "high strung" guy.  Nothing against those super type A personalities (I am one myself) but they typically don't (or want to) be head coaches in the NFL as long as some of the other, more "calmer headed" head coaches. 

Bill Belichik, Andy Reid and even Doug Pederson types typically have the "super long" NFL head coaching careers primarily because they rarely hit "level 10" when it comes to coaching the players and dealing with the media.  As opposed to us "type A" guys that hit "level 10" on a weekly  (sometimes daily) basis.  :lol:

47 minutes ago, Ace Nova said:

He does look like he's in good health but he seems like a pretty "high strung" guy.  Nothing against those super type A personalities (I am one myself) but they typically don't (or want to) be head coaches in the NFL as long as some of the other, more "calmer headed" head coaches. 

Bill Belichik, Andy Reid and even Doug Pederson types typically have the "super long" NFL head coaching careers primarily because they rarely hit "level 10" when it comes to coaching the players and dealing with the media.  As opposed to us "type A" guys that hit "level 10" on a weekly  (sometimes daily) basis.  :lol:

Carroll has nothing left to prove. He’s won on all levels. He’s done when he’s ready to go. I’m sure there’s a thing or two Doug could learn from his experiences. 

12 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Carroll has nothing left to prove. He’s won on all levels. He’s done when he’s ready to go. I’m sure there’s a thing or two Doug could learn from his experiences. 

Yep, I agree.  That's why I can see him taking the GM position over full time.  He seems to have done a fairly decent job with it and he just looks like an NFL GM "type". 

5 hours ago, Ace Nova said:

I mentioned in another thread that another positive aspect for Doug being OC in Seattle, is it would expose him to more types of coaches. Aside from being our head coach, Doug’s pro coaching experience has been under Reid. He’s limited in what he’s been exposed to, and his questionable hires have been speculated to be because he doesn’t have those connections elsewhere. Experience elsewhere could be good for if/when Doug gets another HC job and has to assemble another staff. 

17 hours ago, The Blackfish said:

That’s just it, let’s see Belichicks career without Brady, or the fact Reid drafting’s Mahomes  saved his career in KC.  

If Drew Brees passes his physical for the Dolphins, Nick Saban is still an NFL Head Coach, instead he gets Dante Culpepper and Saban heads back to college and wins 27 National Championships with Alabama.  

Reid has one season with under ten wins in Kansas City and no losing seasons despite taking over a team that went 2-14 the previous season, Mahomes got him to the big dance but his career in KC never needed saving

1 hour ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

Reid has one season with under ten wins in Kansas City and no losing seasons despite taking over a team that went 2-14 the previous season, Mahomes got him to the big dance but his career in KC never needed saving

But ... remember when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor???  

Doug > Duce, Kafka, Bowles, McDaniels and any other scrub left that would accept this job. That leaves good coaches like Daboll out.

On 1/16/2021 at 4:32 PM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

In the grand scheme yes I agree. But in isolation that contract was not a bad deal at the time. In fact Howie was rightly given credit for that contract. 

I remember thinking it was a bad deal at the time as well.  100 million guaranteed for a guy that just blew out his knee and had a back injury in back to back seasons. 

11 hours ago, Ace Nova said:

Carroll just signed a $11 million per year contract extension in November that goes through 2025. He is not going anywhere.

2 hours ago, DawkinsOwnage03 said:

Doug > Duce, Kafka, Bowles, McDaniels and any other scrub left that would accept this job. That leaves good coaches like Daboll out.

Lol McDaniels isn’t a "scrub.” And if he brings Mayo with him as DC, I’ll be ecstatic. 

On 1/16/2021 at 5:45 PM, VaBeach_Eagle said:

This is the first coaching change since Dick Vermeil stepped down, that I've really been uncomfortable with. I wasn't really ready for Andy to be fired, but I was ok with it because it really was just time for it. 

Maybe this will work out in the long run, but I just get the bad feeling that we'll be right back here in 3 to 5 years doing this all over again. 

I dont feel comfortable with it because it seems completely knee jerk. It feels like this is the start of a downward spiral of subpar play and just ineffective management.

It honestly feels like we are about to enter the Marion Campbell era again.

13 hours ago, joboggi said:

Consider becoming a bigger Flyer and Sixer fan. The Flyers JUST BEAT PITTSBURGH IN BACK TO BACK GAMES!!!

I'm really excited about the Flyers season. They look really really good. They are well run with tons of young talent. 

56 minutes ago, pallidrone said:

Carroll just signed a $11 million per year contract extension in November that goes through 2025. He is not going anywhere.

I wasn't aware of that.  That said, if Pederson ends up taking the O.C. position and the offense looks good, has success, etc they could likely work something out to keep him. 

And like I said, if Carroll ends up taking the GM position full time, he could still be deeply involved with the team, even keep all his people on the defensive side of the ball, etc.   If not, I'm sure they'll all leave as friends when Pederson gets offered a head coaching position somewhere else.  The idea is that him going to Seattle as the O.C. has a lot more positives than negatives, imo.

1 hour ago, [TSM]_PimpDaddyPain said:

I remember thinking it was a bad deal at the time as well.  100 million guaranteed for a guy that just blew out his knee and had a back injury in back to back seasons. 

Worst contract ever

1 hour ago, pallidrone said:

I dont feel comfortable with it because it seems completely knee jerk. It feels like this is the start of a downward spiral of subpar play and just ineffective management.

It honestly feels like we are about to enter the Marion Campbell era again.

I completely agree. I liked Marion back then, but I was 13 when he took over as HC so what did I know? lol Seriously though, I liked him as our DC back then, so I had high hopes for him when Dick stepped down, which pretty much devastated the 13 year old me because to me, Dick was the greatest coach that ever lived! Man, 1982 feels like it was just a couple of years ago... God I'm old! lol

But yeah, knee jerk is exactly how it seems to me. Like I said, I'm a big Wentz supporter but even if Doug not wanting him and instead wanting Hurts was the reason for the firing, I don't like it. I don't want the owner making football decisions, I want that to come from the coach. Even if I don't like his decisions. Especially when that coach led us to my Avatar (the 13 year old me REALLY thought that Dick would get us one eventually, and the 51 year old me still thinks that he would have).

2 hours ago, [TSM]_PimpDaddyPain said:

Yeah I mean when you look back there were warning signs I guess. I thought the contract at the time was fine so I'm no going to kill Howie for it now. Its what he does next that is key for me. 

Archived