Eagles and Doug Pederson "part ways" - All discussion here

phil77

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I mean look i don't think Howie should be killed for that deal. He had to strike at some point and there's no way he could have known that Wentz was going to be as bad this year as he was. Howie knew he had to strike before other QBs got their contracts.

I still disagree with the timing. They should have waited a year. A QB contract is expensive regardless. I'd say you're still much better off doing it when they prove worth the deal, and I didn't think Wentz's 2018 season showed he was near worth what he got at the time.

57 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

I still disagree with the timing. They should have waited a year. A QB contract is expensive regardless. I'd say you're still much better off doing it when they prove worth the deal, and I didn't think Wentz's 2018 season showed he was near worth what he got at the time.

Do you think they should of waited till the end of 2019? Do you think he was worth it with the way he played down the stretch? I think even if they waited he still gets that big contract for that stretch run. 

14 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Do you think they should of waited till the end of 2019? Do you think he was worth it with the way he played down the stretch? I think even if they waited he still gets that big contract for that stretch run. 

I would have still been skeptical a year later, but I'm only going by what info I had at the time. I didn't like signing him when they did.

1 minute ago, EagleJoe8 said:

I would have still been skeptical a year later, but I'm only going by what info I had at the time. I didn't like signing him when they did.

Fair enough, I was just asking. 

3 hours ago, Hawkeye said:

Bottom line is the Eagles organization and all it’s key players - Lurie, Howie, Doug and Wentz - come off as dysfunctional and organizationally deficient. 

That is a far more family friendly description than I'd have used. Good job.

2 hours ago, Hawkeye said:

That’s a very fair point and hindsight is 20/20.  Still, when you roll it into all the other roster decisions it looks like another bad move.  Best case scenario is Wentz returns to form under a new system and Hurts gets time to develop.

In the grand scheme yes I agree. But in isolation that contract was not a bad deal at the time. In fact Howie was rightly given credit for that contract. 

2 hours ago, EagleJoe8 said:

I mean look... Given covid hit and impacts the cap that's an easy thing to say. But nobody knew covid was going to hit and cause this level of devastation.

Just now, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I mean look... Given covid hit and impacts the cap that's an easy thing to say. But nobody knew covid was going to hit and cause this level of devastation.

Covid is irrelevant to my thoughts. I didn't think he was deserving of the deal after the 2018 season, but in hindsight, I wouldn't have changed my thoughts after 2019 either.

3 hours ago, time2rock said:

I would have thought Doug sits out the year and is then a top HC candidate next year after a year off.

He doesn’t need to build his credentials given the SB win and take the risk of being an OC and that offense not performing. Having said that Seattle is about as good a situation as any with Russell and those two stud WRs

14 minutes ago, kiwieagle said:

I would have thought Doug sits out the year and is then a top HC candidate next year after a year off.

He doesn’t need to build his credentials given the SB win and take the risk of being an OC and that offense not performing. Having said that Seattle is about as good a situation as any with Russell and those two stud WRs

Working in Seattle for a year or maybe even two can be good for Doug. I believe his only coaching experience aside from here has been under Reid. It might do him some good to learn more about coaches elsewhere and try and establish more relationships for if/when he builds another staff.

This is the first coaching change since Dick Vermeil stepped down, that I've really been uncomfortable with. I wasn't really ready for Andy to be fired, but I was ok with it because it really was just time for it. 

Maybe this will work out in the long run, but I just get the bad feeling that we'll be right back here in 3 to 5 years doing this all over again. 

2 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

This is the first coaching change since Dick Vermeil stepped down, that I've really been uncomfortable with. I wasn't really ready for Andy to be fired, but I was ok with it because it really was just time for it. 

Maybe this will work out in the long run, but I just get the bad feeling that we'll be right back here in 3 to 5 years doing this all over again. 

I agree. I feel like very few are going to feel good about this hire.

1 minute ago, EagleJoe8 said:

I agree. I feel like very few are going to feel good about this hire.

I'm going to think positive about it. Maybe he takes the Belicick path and is awesome in his second stint. Don't forget Belicick also burned the jets. It's the second coming!!

5 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

I'm going to think positive about it. Maybe he takes the Belicick path and is awesome in his second stint. Don't forget Belicick also burned the jets. It's the second coming!!

You mean if it's McDaniels?

12 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Ditto

Just now, Bwestbrook36 said:

Yes

I'd certainly have no choice but to give him a chance, but it would be a situation where I expect very little from him going in.

Just now, EagleJoe8 said:

I'd certainly have no choice but to give him a chance, but it would be a situation where I expect very little from him going in.

Ummmm Tim Tebow part 2!

15 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Well, we were almost literally sitting here five years ago doing this and then three years before that. In fact, Andy seems to have been the aberration under this ownership regime.

Giving the clown show that is the Novacare complex, we really can’t expect any less from them. I still don’t understand how they pulled off that Super Bowl victory. True miracle season.

17 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

In the grand scheme yes I agree. But in isolation that contract was not a bad deal at the time. In fact Howie was rightly given credit for that contract. 

The Eagles have had a history (since Joe Banner?) of signing their good young players before their rookie deal expires because it's usually a little cheaper and there's no risk of a free agency bidding war. Wentz might be one of those cases where it didn't work out for them.

25 minutes ago, eglz1 said:

The Eagles have had a history (since Joe Banner?) of signing their good young players before their rookie deal expires because it's usually a little cheaper and there's no risk of a free agency bidding war. Wentz might be one of those cases where it didn't work out for them.

Usually I agree with doing that but I didn't like the Wentz signing. It wasn't like we got him cheap. With his injury history I thought we would have done better. I just didn't think he showed us enough to deserve a contract like that. I would have taken my chances paying a bit more in FA or moving on. I've never been sold on the guy even though I kept waiting and waiting and waiting to be. I also never got the impression he is the leader they try to make him out to be. In short I never felt he gave this team any stability, both on the field and in the locker room, leading up to the new deal. IMO if your saying "if he stays healthy", it should be a red flag and not an excuse.

That said, I think we have no choice but to start him next year and hope he lives up to this contract rather than just throwing all that cap money away and adding more roster needs. We know we have a decent backup in Hurtz. Let's get some coaches in here, work on the other needs and once we know what the identity of this team is going to look like, we can decide on what direction we want to go at QB.

2 hours ago, eglz1 said:

And unfortunately that's going to happen. Sometimes you sign a guy following his rookie contract and for one reason or another it doesn't pan out. 

20 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

That’s just it, let’s see Belichicks career without Brady, or the fact Reid drafting’s Mahomes  saved his career in KC.  

If Drew Brees passes his physical for the Dolphins, Nick Saban is still an NFL Head Coach, instead he gets Dante Culpepper and Saban heads back to college and wins 27 National Championships with Alabama.  

Archived