Eagles and Doug Pederson "part ways" - All discussion here

phil77

2 hours ago, Maga301 said:

Okay so why pull him with one quarter left? We let Carson drown for how many games before he got pulled. I'm not trying to compare the two but if you argue that he stunk for 3 quarters in a meaningless game then why pull him? For Nate Sudfeld........

I get that but Sudfeld is not nor will be going to any other team being anything more than a #3 QB, which is exactly what he is. There is no more growth for Sudfeld.

The brightest spot of last season was watching hurts bring some life to the offense the last couple games.  Fans and the media were buzzing about hurts.

I have friends who are not eagle fans telling me how nice hurts has looked.  

And doug yanks him in the 4th qtr of a tight prime time last game of the season against a division rival giving them the sweep for suds who stunk something aweful.  In the process Pissing off eagles players and leaving a bad taste in everyones mouth. 

Good job dougy

The best part of Doug being gone is some of the excuses have run out. Let’s see if Doug was the reason Wentz has declined. Let’s see if Howie’s rookies and draft picks really are that bad. We will be getting a lot of answers. I’ve never been one to believe a coach can turn an elite quarterback bad, but we will see. Take Stafford for example. He’s been through a few coaches, but his numbers are mostly the same.

35 minutes ago, SNOORDA said:

The brightest spot of last season was watching hurts bring some life to the offense the last couple games.  Fans and the media were buzzing about hurts.

I have friends who are not eagle fans telling me how nice hurts has looked.  

And doug yanks him in the 4th qtr of a tight prime time last game of the season against a division rival giving them the sweep for suds who stunk something aweful.  In the process Pissing off eagles players and leaving a bad taste in everyones mouth. 

Good job dougy

Who cares? I didn't want us to win that game. We screwed the Giants and got a better draft pick. Oh and Hurts is nothing special and most likely will not be the starting QB next year. Just read an article that Lurie partly fired Pederson for benching Wentz. If you believe Aikman anyway. 

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/doug-pederson-fired-eagles-jalen-hurts-carson-wentz

3 minutes ago, Uscg-green said:

Who cares? I didn't want us to win that game. We screwed the Giants and got a better draft pick. Oh and Hurts is nothing special and most likely will not be the starting QB next year. Just read an article that Lurie partly fired Pederson for benching Wentz. If you believe Aikman anyway. 

Well then it was a great way to end the season for you i guess.    

But for many, including every player on the roster and most fans,  it ****s watching hurts get pulled in the 4th qtr and folding like a cheap suit

1 minute ago, SNOORDA said:

Well then it was a great way to end the season for you i guess.    

But for many, including every player on the roster and most fans,  it ****s watching hurts get pulled in the 4th qtr and folding like a cheap suit

You realize Hurts wasn't playing well at all when he was pulled right? He can run around but can't throw the ball. 

1 hour ago, jsdarkstar said:

Might as well hire Deuce. What Coach is going to want to come here and be forced to play Wentz with Hurts sitting the bench, knowing that when Wentz throws an incomplete pass fans will be yelling and screaming for Hurts. What coach would want that? Not to mention the fact that this team is in a rebuilding mode and they are going to stink again next season. It's a no win situation. Better get used to losing for a couple years at least. 

I hope they trade Hurts to wherever Pederson goes for our 2nd rounder back. 

17 minutes ago, Uscg-green said:

You realize Hurts wasn't playing well at all when he was pulled right? He can run around but can't throw the ball. 

The game was within reach.  Washingtons strength is their d and they have one of the best d lines in the league.  Wentz would have been getting destroyed.  Suds looked out of his league. 

2 minutes ago, SNOORDA said:

The game was within reach.  Washingtons strength is their d and they have one of the best d lines in the league.  Wentz would have been getting destroyed.  Suds looked out of his league. 

Hurts does not have a good arm. He is a run first QB. They get figured out. Quick. 

1 hour ago, Uscg-green said:

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/doug-pederson-fired-eagles-jalen-hurts-carson-wentz

And in November, it was reported Lurie made Doug bench Wentz because he wanted to see Hurts.

Lots of reports of different things out there.

1 hour ago, EazyEaglez said:

The best part of Doug being gone is some of the excuses have run out. Let’s see if Doug was the reason Wentz has declined. Let’s see if Howie’s rookies and draft picks really are that bad. We will be getting a lot of answers. I’ve never been one to believe a coach can turn an elite quarterback bad, but we will see. Take Stafford for example. He’s been through a few coaches, but his numbers are mostly the same.

If a quarterback doesn't know when to throw the ball away by year 5, there isn't a coach on Earth that will teach him, similarly Wentz has regularly  sailed short passes for 5 years if he hasn't asked a coach how to sort that out or learnt how to himself by now, there isn't a coach that can make him at this stage. 

2 hours ago, Uscg-green said:

Maybe partially. I've been confused by Lurie comment that "Doug didn't deserve to be fired" but fired him anyway. That made zero sense. Now that things have calmed down a little I think it's like this. Lurie didn't fire Doug for what he had done(didn't deserve to be fired for that.)  Lurie fired Doug for what he wanted to do. Promote Taylor, not bring in any outside coaches etc. Lurie and Doug had different visions going forward and Lurie didn't like Doug's. So "parting of the ways" seems appropriate to me.

As far as Wentz, If I were Lurie I wouldn't want to pay the costs associated with trading Wentz this year if I could possibly avoid it. If I thought there is a chance Wentz can look like a capable NFL quarterback  he'd be worth more than after the horrible season Wentz had this year. Maybe Doug's replacement won't throw the ball 70% of the time.

2 hours ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

If a quarterback doesn't know when to throw the ball away by year 5, there isn't a coach on Earth that will teach him, similarly Wentz has regularly  sailed short passes for 5 years if he hasn't asked a coach how to sort that out or learnt how to himself by now, there isn't a coach that can make him at this stage. 

I guess we are going to find out how great the great one really is. I have to say it’s hard to see this guy changing considering how often he told us last year as he was struggling greatly he wouldn’t. 

7 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

I guess we are going to find out how great the great one really is. I have to say it’s hard to see this guy changing considering how often he told us last year as he was struggling greatly he wouldn’t. 

I hope you're wrong because I hope they are going to trade him and truly start a rebuild. 

3 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I hope you're wrong because I hope they are going to trade him and truly start a rebuild. 

I can see Lurie wanting to salvage at least some of his (substantial) investment. I'm not sure how much Carson would be worth in a trade right now given his crappy season. If he looks as bad with a different coach he may well be worth even less but that's the gamble, isn't it?

16 hours ago, jsdarkstar said:

Might as well hire Deuce. What Coach is going to want to come here and be forced to play Wentz with Hurts sitting the bench, knowing that when Wentz throws an incomplete pass fans will be yelling and screaming for Hurts. What coach would want that? Not to mention the fact that this team is in a rebuilding mode and they are going to stink again next season. It's a no win situation. Better get used to losing for a couple years at least. 

Hey come to Philadelphia where your job depends on unquestioned loyalty to Howie Roseman, and ensuring you don’t hurt the feelings of Mr. I’m not gonna change! Who wouldn’t want this job?

4 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Maybe, but it’s not looking as if they will. 

5 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Well if there is any truth to that "report" (I use the term extremely loosely) that Lurie fired Doug over Wentz, then have to assume Wentz will be here.  And I'd further guess the plan to get him back on track will be one of the main points of discussion during the interview process.  

Personally I don't buy Lurie fired Doug over having benched Wentz (let's face it, he stunk for most of the year - we all saw it, Lurie included).  I think it is much more likely they didn't agree on Doug's plan for how to address Wentz's issues - promoting Taylor was such a bonehead plan, especially knowing Lurie was putting it out there that we would hire a "traditional" OC (meaning experienced).  I'd bet he wanted someone similar to Reich who had experience coordinating an offense and success working with QBs previous to his tenure here.  

I was holding out some hope that the eagles could get a top DC for HC.  A disciplinarian, tough nosed guy, DC's are grossly undervalued on the HC market and even this mess of an organization can get a good one.  Then you could add a defensive star at #6.  Play some D and run the rock with jalen Hurts could work. 

But netting a second class offensive guru with the specific intent to salvage Wentz is guaranteed to lose the locker room and send this franchise further down the black hole.

1 hour ago, dawkins4prez said:

I was holding out some hope that the eagles could get a top DC for HC.  A disciplinarian, tough nosed guy, DC's are grossly undervalued on the HC market and even this mess of an organization can get a good one.  Then you could add a defensive star at #6.  Play some D and run the rock with jalen Hurts could work. 

But netting a second class offensive guru with the specific intent to salvage Wentz is guaranteed to lose the locker room and send this franchise further down the black hole.

you aren't going to find too many of these anymore

2 minutes ago, greend said:

you aren't going to find too many of these anymore

I voted Todd Bowles.  I'm dying to see a good secondary in Philly again.

Doug was stubborn and loyal to a fault. He stood up for his players/coaches and took the blame for things like on-field performance, coaching decisions, etc.... In the end, he wanted to promote in house to solve last season's problems. I don't think it had anything with drafting Hurts, benching Wentz, or benching Hurts. I think Lurie was not satisfied with his plan to be loyal to his current coaches and keep the status quo. After last season's debacle, Lurie wanted to see an actionable plan on how things would be different, but Doug wanted to keep doing the same things he's done the past few seasons, seasons that saw the Eagles continually decline, without major modifications.

Doug's a player's coach. Loyal to all the guys in the locker room, but his stubbornness to change probably cost him this job. He will get another one soon, but I wonder if he has learned to be more open-minded and a little less stubborn about accepting marginal performance.

1 hour ago, kentwo said:

Doug was stubborn and loyal to a fault. He stood up for his players/coaches and took the blame for things like on-field performance, coaching decisions, etc.... In the end, he wanted to promote in house to solve last season's problems. I don't think it had anything with drafting Hurts, benching Wentz, or benching Hurts. I think Lurie was not satisfied with his plan to be loyal to his current coaches and keep the status quo. After last season's debacle, Lurie wanted to see an actionable plan on how things would be different, but Doug wanted to keep doing the same things he's done the past few seasons, seasons that saw the Eagles continually decline, without major modifications.

Doug's a player's coach. Loyal to all the guys in the locker room, but his stubbornness to change probably cost him this job. He will get another one soon, but I wonder if he has learned to be more open-minded and a little less stubborn about accepting marginal performance.

I tend to agree with this. I can't hep to think at least part of the thinking is they don't want to repeat the mistake of the AR era where they kept doing the same thing over and over again and getting the same result.

7 hours ago, eglz1 said:

I can see Lurie wanting to salvage at least some of his (substantial) investment. I'm not sure how much Carson would be worth in a trade right now given his crappy season. If he looks as bad with a different coach he may well be worth even less but that's the gamble, isn't it?

His trade value is as high right now as it's ever going to be...

6 hours ago, time2rock said:

Well if there is any truth to that "report" (I use the term extremely loosely) that Lurie fired Doug over Wentz, then have to assume Wentz will be here.  And I'd further guess the plan to get him back on track will be one of the main points of discussion during the interview process.  

If that's true that they chose Doug over Wentz then I'm sorry but it's going to end in tears. I get that it's generally the way in the NFL but it is a flawed strategy and with Wentz I think it'll end in tears.

23 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

His trade value is as high right now as it's ever going to be...

Maybe. If he comes out out next season and balls out with a new coach, wouldn't his trade value be higher than it is now? If on the other hand he looks next season like he looked this past season, he ain't gonna be worth a steak 'n' chips.

Archived