Eagles hire Nick Sirianni as Head Coach (Colts OC)

Portyansky

2 hours ago, time2rock said:

It was reported they wanted to interview Bieniemy this coming Monday (he would have been available to even if KC wins this weekend since they would be on a bye week) and he turned down the offer.  It has already been reported that Daboll also refused an interview, wishing to remain in Buffalo another year.  

I do agree that the staff Sirianni intends to hire will be critical.  It was reported Duce had a strong staff lined up if he was named HC.  Let's hope the same for Sirianni.

It was later reported that Daboll just wants to wait on interviews until Bills are eliminated or win it all

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Maga301 said:

I would like to think the QB issue is the first task at hand. Assuming Sirianni already knows taking the job meant trying to turn Wentz's career around, I would imagine 2021 is about bettering Wentz and bettering the talent on this team. If I am Sirianni I ain't trying to do too much and put out all the fires in just one year. 

With the worst cap situation in the league, a roster littered with aging, injury prone vets that have bloated contracts, insufficient young talent in the pipeline, and a guy who stinks at talent evaluation still with final say over the draft, I don't see any way this team will be competitive for at least 2 years, regardless of how good of a job Sirianni does.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

It was later reported that Daboll just wants to wait on interviews until Bills are eliminated or win it all

Ahhh, missed that.  Thanks.  

8 minutes ago, time2rock said:

With the worst cap situation in the league, a roster littered with aging, injury prone vets that have bloated contracts, insufficient young talent in the pipeline, and a guy who stinks at talent evaluation still with final say over the draft, I don't see any way this team will be competitive for at least 2 years, regardless of how good of a job Sirianni does.  

Agreed. What is Dorsey's future here? Is he helping talent evaluation for the draft, some reports say he might of had a hand/opinion in the hiring of Sirianni. Wasn't he supposed to be promoted after the season?

1 hour ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

His only misstep was letting Mathis walk, I understand why he did it,  if you cave in to your first hold out then everyone will do it, but having traded McCoy as an east west runner to get a one cut downhill guy in Murray, but without the interior line to support running between the tackles he left himself having to use Murray running laterally, which he wasn't good at all, if you put Murray behind our 2014 line he'd have been top 3 rusher, and Kelly never got chance to draft or trade for a stud guard and see if he could turn it round.

Even his 2015 offense was more productive than all of Doug's outside 2017, for all people say the NFL had him all worked out he knew how to use wide receivers way better than Doug ever did with basically a revolving door at QB, and his offense was pretty good to watch.

Shame he saddled himself with Billy Davies as DC,  I hope Sirianni has a decent nose for defensive coaching staff, it'd be a tragedy to get the offense going again and turn the defense to crap.

So, you're saying that letting Jackson and McCoy go wasn't a mistake? And let's not forget about acquiring Bradford while getting rid of Foles and a second rounder. That might be one of the worst decisions I've ever seen in football.

The dude was terrible managing personnel, come on!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, time2rock said:

As long as in that 2nd year we repeat 2017. All good. 😁

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, time2rock said:

lack of receivers, no running attack, no offense but sanders isnt kamara, question mark at qb, it's going to be five years before this team is competitive again unless they find a way to clear cap.

35 minutes ago, Maga301 said:

Agreed. What is Dorsey's future here? Is he helping talent evaluation for the draft, some reports say he might of had a hand/opinion in the hiring of Sirianni. Wasn't he supposed to be promoted after the season?

Sounds like too many cooks in the kitchen

My standard response to any coach hiring (especially 1st-timers): let’s give him a fair shake at the job and see what happens.  

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, MIRV Griffen said:

My standard response to any coach hiring (especially 1st-timers): let’s give him a fair shake at the job and see what happens.  

Agreed, if we don't see any improvements during/after the third season it wasn't the right hire.

• Like 1

Looks like a good hire.  If this guy can straighten out Wentz and we add some drafting expertise, we're back on track.  

17 minutes ago, beto_eagles said:

So, you're saying that letting Jackson and McCoy go wasn't a mistake? And let's not forget about acquiring Bradford while getting rid of Foles and a second rounder. That might be one of the worst decisions I've ever seen in football.

The dude was terrible managing personnel, come on!

Lots of people understood the McCoy decision at the time, the old board is gone but a lot of us could see that McCoy sometimes had a tendency to dance and look for the edge when there were big lanes up the middle, that a one cut downhill guy might work better in Chips offense, and Murray was the NFL rushing leader the year before, Alonso was a former defensive rookie of the year who Kelly had coached in college, coaches have guys they like and guys who fit their systems, everyone can be Captain Hindsight, but the fact is Andy Reid couldn't win with the roster that Eagles players have lionised ever since Kelly got rid of them.

The Jackson thing, I'll pretty much guarantee that it wasn't Chip that briefed the press that Jackson would be cut if he wasn't traded, and the offense worked fine without Jackson (other than fans constantly posting about 'taking the top off the defense')

• Like 1

1 hour ago, xxeaglesfanxx said:

I just want to know where this came from.  He was not a name mentioned previously.  This signing just came out of nowhere.  Hopefully he does well and gotta hold off on passing judgement until we actually see the staff and what he does on the field.  But my initial reaction is very blah.

He was in Florida at the right time, lol.   Seriously, it likely came on a recommendation from Reich. 

Sirianni's staff will be what makes or breaks him. I feel similarly about Sirianni as I did Kevin Stefanski last year.

Especially interested to see his coordinator choices and whether they go for former head coaches such as Anthony Lynn and Wade Phillips, or go with upside guys such as a college OC or Jonathan Gannon at DC.

1 hour ago, Maga301 said:

Not sure but I sure hope (as I'm sure most here are) that he has a bigger voice come draft day.  Doubt he'll have final say but it sure would help if he had more of a voice.  

54 minutes ago, toughfighter83 said:

lack of receivers, no running attack, no offense but sanders isnt kamara, question mark at qb, it's going to be five years before this team is competitive again unless they find a way to clear cap.

This was said in 2015.  

The NFL isn't a long-term-play league.  You can hit on a couple of good draft picks and a couple of free agents and be competitive again.  

57 minutes ago, toughfighter83 said:

Now this is where you want Roseman. Don't worry Roseman will get that done.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Maga301 said:

I think Dorsey is slowing becoming the talent evaluator. Maybe Roseman is taking a back seat? Perhaps he knows he isn't good at talent evaluation. I mean he did hire Joe Douglas so maybe Roseman isn't completely oblivious to his shortcomings.

Lurie has done a pretty good job in hiring no names (except Chip) who everyone knew. Rhodes, Reid, Chip, and Doug.  All of his coach hirings have been successful, he didn’t hire Bradley, or Gase, or McAdoodoo, or even Chudzinski.  

I’m glad they didn’t hire McDaniels, dude went after Tebow, a full back that today still throws like Steve Carlton taught him how to throw a football.   How could McDaniels work with Brady for 8 years, every Sunday, the most improved player from college to the Pros in any sport, likely in any world, and see Tebow in college and think, "I gotta get him.”   That’s like trying to get past the fact the hottest girl at the bar has a lazy eye, she’s bald, and you find out she’s the trans that Dave Stewart propositioned in the back of a taxi in 1983. 
Hell no to McDaniels.

Will Howie let this dude pick his staff, the game day roster, or even call plays, thats what’s  going to determine Siri’s success.  If he wins a Super Bowl, and the following year Howie still sets the 53 man roster, and hired his assistant’s, he’ll burn out like Doug did and leave. 
Doug didn’t get fired, he quit. 

It seems like Jeff and Howie realized that Frank Reich was the mastermind behind Carson's success. Sirianni being a Frank disciple seemed to fit the bill to try and fix Carson. I hope he can get the job done.

4 minutes ago, xstonr said:

It seems like Jeff and Howie realized that Frank Reich was the mastermind behind Carson's success. Sirianni being a Frank disciple seemed to fit the bill to try and fix Carson. I hope he can get the job done.

As a HC he is going to have a full plate (especially if he is going to take on play calling duties, basically acting as OC as well).  Hopefully he hires the right person to serve as OC and QB coach who will have a much larger hand in Wentz's development (or re-development) in much the same way Reich and Flip were to his early development (that was attributed much more to them than Doug).  

2 hours ago, philafan4o8 said:

WB whisperer? Please explain. I understand one year with luck and one year with rivers. But what is his success with QBs over multiple years. I’ll wait...

Multiple years with Rivers in San Diego as well. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, philafan4o8 said:

WB whisperer? Please explain. I understand one year with luck and one year with rivers. But what is his success with QBs over multiple years. I’ll wait...

Given the ownership attachment to Wentz...anyone who had success with any QBs would have answered a very large question, that the other candidates did not want to deal with. Wentz was and still is a dark cloud. No one knows, irrelevant of the coach, whether Wentz can be fixed. Eagles made some calls around the league and everyone vouched for Nick saying that he is a very positive guy who focuses on what "can be" done. That's the most anyone in the Eagles management could hope for...someone who will accept the challenge to repair something that was clearly broken. There are no guarantees. Nick had success with 2 QBs and hopefully he may salvage the financial commitment by the Eagles previously deemed wasted by some very smart coordinators. Think of it as hope, prayer, long shot. Expect that the next year will be all about "Fixing Wentz." (I am a very large Hurts supporter, but Fixing Wentz is what I expect next year)

4 minutes ago, time2rock said:

IF Wentz turns it around we could still be competitive, at least within our division. We also have to see if the new staff can to a better job at developing some of the younger guys and figure out how to put players in a better position to make plays. It also can't be ignored how unusual this season was with all of the covid restrictions etc. I'm holding out to see what happens with a full season of camps etc. My expectations are low but I believe there is a chance we could still be competitive.

We need to see what new players they bring in but If it were me I wouldn't focus on rebuilding the team around Wentz. I see Wentz as expendable in the next year or two unless he can show some real greatness. After next season the Wentz picture should be more clear and then they can start rebuilding the team around whoever the future QB is expected to be. By year 3 we will hopefully be younger, in better cap situation and will have a better idea what the identity of this team is going to be under this regime. I think Lurie wants to get to a point where we have a stable group of good players locked up for a few years and we can improve through FA to make some serious runs at a SB. Laugh at me if you want, but I think if we fall short of getting there, Howie could (should) be the fall guy. I really think the pressure is on Howie the next couple of years to get us there. Sirianni is going to get a pass for at least a couple of years.

10 minutes ago, Traveler Vic said:

Given the ownership attachment to Wentz...anyone who had success with any QBs would have answered a very large question, that the other candidates did not want to deal with. Wentz was and still is a dark cloud. No one knows, irrelevant of the coach, whether Wentz can be fixed. Eagles made some calls around the league and everyone vouched for Nick saying that he is a very positive guy who focuses on what "can be" done. That's the most anyone in the Eagles management could hope for...someone who will accept the challenge to repair something that was clearly broken. There are no guarantees. Nick had success with 2 QBs and hopefully he may salvage the financial commitment by the Eagles previously deemed wasted by some very smart coordinators. Think of it as hope, prayer, long shot. Expect that the next year will be all about "Fixing Wentz." (I am a very large Hurts supporter, but Fixing Wentz is what I expect next year)

I think you will know by week 12 if we are trading or keeping wentz. if wentz doesn't respond well here with the new coach, his career as a starter might be done. So hopefully he knows as well as anyone else that this is his last shot. if rumors are to be believed, he needs to put his ego behind him and focus on getting coached up properly. do what you are told because you don't know whats best.