Eagles Hire Jonathan Gannon as DC (Colts DB coach)

Uscg-green

3 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Let's set up a chat. I'm interested to hire what your thoughts are. 

One of my secrets is quality half time snacks. Mmm frozen orange slices

• Like 1

Just now, Uscg-green said:

One of my secrets is quality half time snacks. Mmm frozen orange slices

Ok you've got the job. 

• Like 1

Will be interesting to see if he plays more of a Cover 2, 2 deep safeties style Defense. 

That type of scheme requires good cover LBs which we have none. 

• Like 1

FWIW Colts DBs ran a soft zone that depends on a strong D line (check! I think) and LBs to help in coverage (ruh roh). 

12 minutes ago, Uscg-green said:

FWIW Colts DBs ran a soft zone that depends on a strong D line (check! I think) and LBs to help in coverage (ruh roh). 

Oh good god! We are going to love Gannon then. 

• Like 1

Just now, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

We have no cap space bud. 

Maybe Howie can do the one thing he was ever good at and work some magic. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Uscg-green said:

Maybe Howie can do the one thing he was ever good at and work some magic. 

He was never that good at it though. We thought he was but it was really a mirage.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EagleJoe8 said:

That's actually part of what makes all this intriguing for me. It's a new slate. I have no reason to have a strong bias one way or the other. I kinda like it.

Same here.  I was going to post the same.  Nothing to lose (except a couple seasons) really.  If it works awesome.  If not we hit the reset button again and maybe next time Howie is swept out too.  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Uscg-green said:

Being in the Running ..means Nothing. He obviously is very good with DBs...but being a strong Defensive coordinator requires More. Is he smart enough to outcoach an opposing coordinator? What is his scheme and how flexible is it? Is he tough? There are a lot of unanswered questions at this point.

7 minutes ago, Traveler Vic said:
38 minutes ago, Uscg-green said:

Being in the Running ..means Nothing. He obviously is very good with DBs...but being a strong Defensive coordinator requires More. Is he smart enough to outcoach an opposing coordinator? What is his scheme and how flexible is it? Is he tough? There are a lot of unanswered questions at this point.

Uh I didn't say that. 

According to The Athletic, Gannon ran a lot of 2 deep safeties and their DVOA rankings for their secondary were 15th, 19th, and 8th for the last 3 years. 

3 hours ago, Uscg-green said:

I would assume so. We don't have the LBs for a 3-4 either. We don't really have enough of em for 4-3 but that's a different story. 

You watch a guy like Devin White play LB and wonder why the Eagles don’t value the position. He’s a difference maker. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Uscg-green said:

Looking at the Colts board they are pretty upset to lose him. 

I thought it was an unwritten rule that you don’t raid the staff of your former team.

53 minutes ago, SBorBust said:

I thought it was an unwritten rule that you don’t raid the staff of your former team.

Well, for Gannon he’s going from a secondary coach to a defensive coordinator. Seems like a weird unwritten rule not to allow a guy to move up in his career.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, vaff said:

Well, for Gannon he’s going from a secondary coach to a defensive coordinator. Seems like a weird unwritten rule not to allow a guy to move up in his career.

Yea it happens all the time that way. People always reach back to promote someone from the team they came from. 

4 hours ago, Road to Victory said:

You watch a guy like Devin White play LB and wonder why the Eagles don’t value the position. He’s a difference maker. 

Eagles have never valued LB's since Rhodes. 

10 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

So a HC who a few days ago we didn't know a lot about and now a DC who we don't know a lot about. Going to be interesting to see who is named as OC.

Gannon was a hot name who interviewed already with at least the Chargers and Bears for DC. He was also reportedly on McDaniels radar for DC. It’s a good hire considering what’s known. 

30 minutes ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Gannon was a hot name who interviewed already with at least the Chargers and Bears for DC. He was also reportedly on McDaniels radar for DC. It’s a good hire considering what’s known. 

I'm not trying to knock it bud. I'm not saying it's a bad hire or anything like that.

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I'm not trying to knock it bud. I'm not saying it's a bad hire or anything like that.

You know what?! I love the hire!

Finally someone with a DB background who values LB’s and has experience developing DB’s! If we draft accordingly, we’ll see a way more balanced defense in the near future.

• Like 1