Eagles Hire Jonathan Gannon as DC (Colts DB coach)

Uscg-green

11 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I think the problem is, this defense lacks real elite talent so it's going to be hard for Gannon. I mean I think this defense has major holes for a young defensive coach to work around. 

I think we have more talent then one thinks. Jim's scheme was not very friendly to DBs and LBs. Now Im not saying we have good LBs at all. They suck. But I think for one we have a very good Dline. If Gannon uses any variations and mixes it up to confuse the QB this will benefit the Dline tremendously. With that same style defense will help Slay improve as well. Sadly I think Douglas and Jones could have benefited from a new DC but everyone else wanted them gone. Maddox in the slot where he belongs. I think you add a new outside corner and a safety(Maybe Wallace can step up under a new system) and our DBs could look much better then one thinks. Colts didnt have the best of DBs when Gannon took over and he did a nice job making the best of them. 

I think the biggest questions will be what type of scheme/system does Gannon favor. yes the Colts used a cover 2 base. But that was not Gannon's system. he was only a DB coach. He might have a whole different scheme he believes in. He may not and run the same system. I think that is the biggest question mark right now. I personally dont care if its a 3 man front or a 4 man front. Its the overall scheme that Im interested in. 

12 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I think the problem is, this defense lacks real elite talent so it's going to be hard for Gannon. I mean I think this defense has major holes for a young defensive coach to work around. 

You have some pieces. Cox, Slay, I think Singleton was very underrated this year. Offensively I am hoping to see maybe a WR, a pounder RB (though this could be a low cost FA), and an IOL or 2 in the draft. The rest needs to be DEFENSE, DEFENSE, DEFENSE. Get a Dylan Moses, a Christian Barmore, a Baron Browning, a Moehring, a Nasrilideen, an Andre Cisco, a Jabril Cox, etc. There are impact defensive players this year. This is going to be a 1-3 year rebuild. I have no expectations for this year other than getting younger and seeing progression week to week. 

1 hour ago, Outlaw said:

You have some pieces. Cox, Slay, I think Singleton was very underrated this year.

Cox has had two years now where he hasn't been the same force. Let's see if a new scheme and DC can get him back to what he was (by the way I'm not saying Cox hasn't been good the last two years). Slay well let's see. Didn't they trade for Slay to play more man? And now there's probably going to be a lot of zone. He's also another year older too.

24 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Cox has had two years now where he hasn't been the same force. Let's see if a new scheme and DC can get him back to what he was (by the way I'm not saying Cox hasn't been good the last two years). Slay well let's see. Didn't they trade for Slay to play more man? And now there's probably going to be a lot of zone. He's also another year older too.

Just saying there’s some short term pieces but they definitely need a youth movement and I’m hoping to see at least two CBs, a S, a LB and a piece or two along the Dline added this off-season. 

2 hours ago, Outlaw said:

Just saying there’s some short term pieces but they definitely need a youth movement and I’m hoping to see at least two CBs, a S, a LB and a piece or two along the Dline added this off-season. 

I mean yeah they definitely need that bud but they also need a fair bit on offense too. It'll be interesting to see how they address things this off season. 

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I mean yeah they definitely need that bud but they also need a fair bit on offense too. It'll be interesting to see how they address things this off season. 

If everyone is back healthy, what do they NEED on offense? If Kelce retires, then yes we need a C (or G if their plan is still to move Seumalo).  We need a short yardage/goal line back (may just retain Howard) and a WR.  We have four T’s, a couple young G’s and Goedert at TE (Rodgers to be TE2?). I think we NEED far more on D than O. We need DL youth, a CB 2 and slot, a S and a LB. 

42 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

If everyone is back healthy, what do they NEED on offense? If Kelce retires, then yes we need a C (or G if their plan is still to move Seumalo).  We need a short yardage/goal line back (may just retain Howard) and a WR.  We have four T’s, a couple young G’s and Goedert at TE (Rodgers to be TE2?). I think we NEED far more on D than O. We need DL youth, a CB 2 and slot, a S and a LB. 

What do they need? A C as you say, a LT as I'm not sure Mailata is going to be a stud. They need a RB and a good #2 TE and they need at least one if not two WRs. I mean yeah they need more on defense I agree but they still need a few pieces on offense and that will inevitably hamper how much they can do on defense. 

What do they need? A C as you say, a LT as I'm not sure Mailata is going to be a stud. They need a RB and a good #2 TE and they need at least one if not two WRs. I mean yeah they need more on defense I agree but they still need a few pieces on offense and that will inevitably hamper how much they can do on defense. 

I disagree on TE2. I think Rodgers can fill that role. Juriga and Seumalo might be enough for C if Kelce doesn’t call it quits, but I’d prefer they grab one this year. WR yes I’d say need 1. And they could grab a late round or Undrafted FA RB who is more of a thumper like Rakeem Boyd, etc. IMO the glaring holes are on D this year not O. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Outlaw said:

I disagree on TE2. I think Rodgers can fill that role. Juriga and Seumalo might be enough for C if Kelce doesn’t call it quits, but I’d prefer they grab one this year. WR yes I’d say need 1. And they could grab a late round or Undrafted FA RB who is more of a thumper like Rakeem Boyd, etc. IMO the glaring holes are on D this year not O. 

I think Sirianni likes to use a lot of 12 personnel? So I'm not sure Rodgers is enough to be honest. They do definitely need to grab a long term replacement for Kelce but that doesnt need to be a high draft resource. 

I agree the defense needs more work but the offense needs pieces and that'll take away some of the resources from the defense.

9 hours ago, Outlaw said:

16 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I think Sirianni likes to use a lot of 12 personnel? So I'm not sure Rodgers is enough to be honest. They do definitely need to grab a long term replacement for Kelce but that doesnt need to be a high draft resource. 

I agree the defense needs more work but the offense needs pieces and that'll take away some of the resources from the defense.

If it were up to me, I’d grab an offensive playmaker in the first (either Chase, Smith, Pitts or Waddle will definitely be available there) and I’d use both my 2nd and 3rd rounder on defense, specifically corner, linebacker and/or safety.

It’s a shame we don’t have an extra 2nd and/or 3rd rounder because IMO there’s a lot of CB, S and LB talent available in those rounds.

If they’d come away with two of the following prospects in Moehrig, Grant, Stokes, Samuel, Campbell, Newsome, Bolton, Cox, Surratt, Browning etc, I’d be very happy!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ray75 said:

If it were up to me, I’d grab an offensive playmaker in the first (either Chase, Smith, Pitts or Waddle will definitely be available there) and I’d use both my 2nd and 3rd rounder on defense, specifically corner, linebacker and/or safety.

It’s a shame we don’t have an extra 2nd and/or 3rd rounder because IMO there’s a lot of CB, S and LB talent available in those rounds.

And I think that's how I'd do it too. Use that premium pick on a play maker for whoever is the starting QB and then address defense with the next 2 picks. 

• Like 1

And I think that's how I'd do it too. Use that premium pick on a play maker for whoever is the starting QB and then address defense with the next 2 picks. 

Listen...I would even do that if we somehow trade CW.

Bring in a veteran backup QB and use all the draft capital you have to give Hurts an elite playmaker, improve the defense by taking a solid outside corner, a quality safety and LB and use the rest of your picks to solidify the depth on your OL and DL and maybe take a flyer on another skill position prospect later in the draft.

My mantra would be; stack the roster with talent and do not worry about QB this year even if CW gets traded.

If Hurts is not the answer, you can revisit the QB position next year but you at least have some talent on both sides of the ball.

40 minutes ago, Ray75 said:

Listen...I would even do that if we somehow trade CW.

Bring in a veteran backup QB and use all the draft capital you have to give Hurts an elite playmaker, improve the defense by taking a solid outside corner, a quality safety and LB and use the rest of your picks to solidify the depth on your OL and DL and maybe take a flyer on another skill position prospect later in the draft.

My mantra would be; stack the roster with talent and do not worry about QB this year even if CW gets traded.

If Hurts is not the answer, you can revisit the QB position next year but you at least have some talent on both sides of the ball.

That's what I am saying pretty much bud. I am saying spend #6 (or a little trade down perhaps) on a legit play maker for Wentz or Hurts. Personally I think there should be an open comp for the starting QB position this off season. 

2 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Absolutely not. Howie must target a quarterback in round two. We need to keep the factory operating.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

29 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

That's what I am saying pretty much bud. I am saying spend #6 (or a little trade down perhaps) on a legit play maker for Wentz or Hurts. Personally I think there should be an open comp for the starting QB position this off season. 

I do too but they can’t say that out loud now. Don’t rub a disgruntled QB the wrong way. You first have to be on speaking terms with him and get him on board. If Hurts outplays Wentz in OTA’s and training camp, then you have to sit down with him and talk about the future.

9 minutes ago, Ray75 said:

I do too but they can’t say that out loud now. Don’t rub a disgruntled QB the wrong way. You first have to be on speaking terms with him and get him on board. If Hurts outplays Wentz in OTA’s and training camp, then you have to sit down with him and talk about the future.

I mean... If we are to believe some of the reports about Wentz over the last couple of years then to be honest I doubt he came away from the Sirianni presser with a warm feeling. Sirianni had an opportunity to commit to Wentz as the starter and he didn't. He gave a sufficiently woolly answer so that everything is left on the table. Nothing wrong with that of course but I think Wentz may have wanted more reassurances?

5 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I think Rodgers performed very well in his limited opportunities. But I mean if you can pull a small trade down in R1 (let’s say Chase and Smith are both gone by 5) and grab Kyle Pitts I’m not going to complain. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Outlaw said:

I think Rodgers performed very well in his limited opportunities. But I mean if you can pull a small trade down in R1 (let’s say Chase and Smith are both gone by 5) and grab Kyle Pitts I’m not going to complain. 

Oh I do too I just think for heavy 12 personnel you'd ideally want more? 

5 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Oh I do too I just think for heavy 12 personnel you'd ideally want more? 

The thought of Goedert and Pitts together is amazing. A formation like:

Reagor   Pitts OL Goedert   WR

QB

Sanders

A lot of potential matchup nightmares for the D there. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Outlaw said:

The thought of Goedert and Pitts together is amazing. A formation like:

Reagor   Pitts OL Goedert   WR

QB

Sanders

A lot of potential matchup nightmares for the D there. 

Oh man oh man that's a mouth watering prospect. 

1 minute ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Oh man oh man that's a mouth watering prospect. 

Yep. I think if Chase, Smith and Sewell are all gone at 6 it’s Waddle, Parsons, Pitts, Or Surtain. 

2 hours ago, Outlaw said:

Yep. I think if Chase, Smith and Sewell are all gone at 6 it’s Waddle, Parsons, Pitts, Or Surtain. 

To be honest I don't think I'd take Waddle or Surtain but that's me. 

52 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

To be honest I don't think I'd take Waddle or Surtain but that's me. 

Oh I wouldn’t either. I’d ideally trade down if Chase and Smith are both gone. Maybe down to 12 with SF and pick up number 43. 

• Like 1

On 1/31/2021 at 6:57 AM, DeathByEagle said:

I think we have more talent then one thinks. Jim's scheme was not very friendly to DBs and LBs. Now Im not saying we have good LBs at all. They suck. But I think for one we have a very good Dline. If Gannon uses any variations and mixes it up to confuse the QB this will benefit the Dline tremendously. With that same style defense will help Slay improve as well. Sadly I think Douglas and Jones could have benefited from a new DC but everyone else wanted them gone. Maddox in the slot where he belongs. I think you add a new outside corner and a safety(Maybe Wallace can step up under a new system) and our DBs could look much better then one thinks. Colts didnt have the best of DBs when Gannon took over and he did a nice job making the best of them. 

I think the biggest questions will be what type of scheme/system does Gannon favor. yes the Colts used a cover 2 base. But that was not Gannon's system. he was only a DB coach. He might have a whole different scheme he believes in. He may not and run the same system. I think that is the biggest question mark right now. I personally dont care if its a 3 man front or a 4 man front. Its the overall scheme that Im interested in. 

I'm hoping for some hidden gems on defense and offense already on the team. Hopefully new coaches put them in the right spot.

3 hours ago, XoqTionR said:

I'm hoping for some hidden gems on defense and offense already on the team. Hopefully new coaches put them in the right spot.

Players I’m most excited for with a new regime, as far as potential:

Singleton

Wallace

Reagor

Fulgham

Sweat

• Like 1