Eagles Hire Jonathan Gannon as DC (Colts DB coach)

Uscg-green

On 1/24/2021 at 4:02 PM, wrestlevessel said:

Howie Roseman is the offensive coordinator.

surprised it wasn't Juan Castillo

• Like 1

I read and listened to some stuff about him and I liked that he will be more aggressive and BLITZ more. I liked when I saw our LBs blitz like TJ and Alex. They aren't the best coverage LBs, but going down hill stopping the run and getting after the QBs they looked way better. Maybe some CB blitzes thrown in would be nice. I can see some slot blitzes from Maddox looking nice next year.

Gannon is a first-time DC. This defense will be bottom-10 in the league next year. Everyone needs to understand the man needs time to learn on the job.

Recent first-time DC’s the Eagles had were Sean McDermott (who was fired) and Todd Bowles (who had an historically bad defense). They are both good defensive minds.

• Like 1

I wanted the Eagles to give Fipp a shot at DC, but this guy is supposed to have the same qualities that I saw in Fipp, former secondary player and coach who has an intense nature, I mean hell, would you be a slacker playing for someone with those eyes

DF2.png

13 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

Do we know if it's going to be a 4-3 or 3-4?

I believe a 4-3.

4 hours ago, EagleVA said:

I wanted the Eagles to give Fipp a shot at DC, but this guy is supposed to have the same qualities that I saw in Fipp, former secondary player and coach who has an intense nature, I mean hell, would you be a slacker playing for someone with those eyes

Dummy GIF - Stupid YouAreSoStupid CharlieDay - Discover & Share GIFs

• Haha 5

15 hours ago, SBorBust said:

FYI: This is interesting:

4DD28897-ADA8-423F-83DB-8579029C056A.jpeg

Is that for just the Eagles of league-wide? 

An obvious regression in the use of LBs (and increased usage of DBs).

29 minutes ago, time2rock said:

League wide. I just thought other people would also find it interesting and didn’t know where else to post it.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, SBorBust said:

League wide. I just thought other people would also find it interesting and didn’t know where else to post it.

Makes sense. LBers are just too slow to keep up with guys like Ty Hill of the Chiefs. It's all about speed these days.

• Like 1

Things go in cycles in the NFL. The offense comes up with something new, then the DC's figure out how to stop it. Then it happens again and again. The years that the "new thing" works, the offenses that use it have success for a time (remember the run n shoot offense and other gimmicky ones that worked until the D figured it out?) Then when the defenses that copy and deploy the new "stop the new offensive wrinkle" have success for awhile (the Buddy Ryan 46 worked for a year or 2, then a variation of the quick passing West Coast Offense beat it with quick slants and short passes, etc). It's an eternal cat and mouse game. That's one reason we stay interested. So what time is it? I think the KC Chiefs hold the key for the DC's to figure out. Once they do, OC's will come up with something new again, and around and around we go. I am going to watch the Bucs D and see how they go about adjusting to the Chiefs offense.

On 1/27/2021 at 7:17 AM, time2rock said:

Spread offense concepts causing this?

On 1/25/2021 at 5:53 AM, Uscg-green said:

I would assume so. We don't have the LBs for a 3-4 either. We don't really have enough of em for 4-3 but that's a different story. 

If we ran a defense based on the personnel we have, we'd only have about five guys on the field. We'd have to invent the 2-1-2 defense. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, The Norseman said:

all the Schwartz haters are going to be begging him to come back 

I'm afraid that you may be right. We just have to be patient.  No team has worse LBs and CBs (less Slay) than us right now.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Norseman said:

all the Schwartz haters are going to be begging him to come back 

Doubt it. 

Jim was way to predictable. His defense has lost us a lot more games then it has won us. Jim's career he has been a avg 14-18 rank DC in the league. Only 5 times has he ever been in the top 10. Every one of those teams had a top 3 offense. 

Yes Gannon could be worse. But he could be better also. Worth it to find out and if he sucks, on to the next. But the goal is to get better not stay static. 

I’m curious if this guy is more bend don’t break or is he more aggressive attack style. I wonder if he’s considered multiple front style defenses like they have in Arizona. Overall the defense could use an influx of talent. 

47 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

I’m curious if this guy is more bend don’t break or is he more aggressive attack style. I wonder if he’s considered multiple front style defenses like they have in Arizona. Overall the defense could use an influx of talent. 

I think the problem is, this defense lacks real elite talent so it's going to be hard for Gannon. I mean I think this defense has major holes for a young defensive coach to work around. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I think the problem is, this defense lacks real elite talent so it's going to be hard for Gannon. I mean I think this defense has major holes for a young defensive coach to work around. 

He does have talent in the front four and I think that is a plus. Unlike some people o don’t think they’re going to do much at linebacker (I hope they do) because they already have a few young guys they already drafted and are developing there. The secondary could use some help. This is a strange roster filled with overpriced veterans and a bunch of young guys who aren’t showing enough promise to make one think they are the future.  This will be a difficult job for all of these coaches. 

6 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

He does have talent in the front four and I think that is a plus. Unlike some people o don’t think they’re going to do much at linebacker (I hope they do) because they already have a few young guys they already drafted and are developing there. The secondary could use some help. This is a strange roster filled with overpriced veterans and a bunch of young guys who aren’t showing enough promise to make one think they are the future.  This will be a difficult job for all of these coaches. 

Ok so I agree they do along the DL but then they are going to let Malik go. Are they going to extend Barnett? I'm not so sure, they may do but they may not. Cox hasn't quite been the same dominant player the last couple of years and BG is another year older (though coming off a monster year).

8 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Ok so I agree they do along the DL but then they are going to let Malik go. Are they going to extend Barnett? I'm not so sure, they may do but they may not. Cox hasn't quite been the same dominant player the last couple of years and BG is another year older (though coming off a monster year).

You make some valid points. If Sweat can stay healthy I think he could be a viable cheap replacement for Barnett. Not as big of a fan of Malik Jackson as others might be. They could probably get a spell lineman in the later rounds to fill that void. Graham seems to get better as he ages, but you’re right at some point they need to find someone else there too. Cox commands a lot of money and he hasn’t been as dominant as he was in the past. Another position they might need to eventually draft a replacement at. You’re right there are a lot of issues on the line, and that’s one of their best positional groups. 

2 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

You make some valid points. If Sweat can stay healthy I think he could be a viable cheap replacement for Barnett. Not as big of a fan of Malik Jackson as others might be. They could probably get a spell lineman in the later rounds to fill that void. Graham seems to get better as he ages, but you’re right at some point they need to find someone else there too. Cox commands a lot of money and he hasn’t been as dominant as he was in the past. Another position they might need to eventually draft a replacement at. You’re right there are a lot of issues on the line, and that’s one of their best positional groups. 

Sweat can't play every down. He's got to be managed due to his knee so I think losing Barnett has a bigger impact than people think to be honest. The DL is really good no doubt there are question marks. Feels a little like what we thought about the OL a year or so ago.