Eagles Hire Jonathan Gannon as DC (Colts DB coach)

Uscg-green

15 minutes ago, Ray75 said:

You know what?! I love the hire!

I don't dislike the hire. I'll be honest I don't have a massive opinion on the hire either way at this point. I don't know enough about Gannon.

5 hours ago, XoqTionR said:

Eagles have never valued LB's since Rhodes. 

Interestingly, the last defensive minded coach we had. 

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I don't dislike the hire. I'll be honest I don't have a massive opinion on the hire either way at this point. I don't know enough about Gannon.

Was instrumental in the development of multiple DB’s and rejuvenated Xavier Rhodes career in Indy.

Once one of the best corners in the league, fell off a cliff in Minnesota, signed with Indy and had arguably his best season in the last 3 years under Gannon.

You only have to take a look at Indy’s DB’s, where they were drafted and the stats. Very impressive what the guy did with mid round selections and a Vikings cast off.

• Like 1

Your opinion on some of these hirings also is going to be effected by where you see the Eagles right now and also, what you expect from them. In your mind, are they a team that is just going to get healthy on the right side of the offensive line, fix Carson Wentz and get back to the playoffs with good drafting? Are they a miserable bunch of bum coaches with a GM that can't draft and injury plagued old men? People are all over the place. 

I liked Doug a lot when hired. 

I like Nick a lot. I like this DC hire a lot. I want new ideas and philosophies put in front of Lurie and Roseman, whether or not they are still "controlling" things, because maybe these young guys trigger something in one of them. 

I'm not sure I believe the Eagles are married to Wentz. Some think this coach solidified that. I don't see that. 

Right now, the Eagles in my eyes are a team that has two options at QB, an extremely talented weapon at RB and an aging, yet very talented offensive line. I'm excited about Mailata. If he continues to progress as he has been, I think people underestimate just how dominate he'll be. Frankly, I've forgotten about Dillard. The receivers coming back are flawed, but try hard. Dallas is an excellent TE. Need to get better on the outside. 

Front four is talented, but aging. I remember the monster that was Josh Sweat in high school. This year was the first time he started to look like that again. I love 49. Again, I can't stress enough how much I love 49. Singleton is one of my favorite players in the NFL. Put two guys that were supposed to be in the NFL around him. 

These are people that went after Rock Ya Sin (huge fan on and off the field) two drafts ago. An absolutely mean as hell man corner that will knock you into tomorrow and is a leader. Zaire Franklin is also a captain up in Indy. He was a kid at LaSalle that when you talked to as a teenager, you felt like he was already 25. 

I'm a fan. Could they bust? Heck yeah. I'm ready to give these guys a shot though. I don't want the same recycled stuff. 

Josh McDaniels and his group of New England tree guys is not what I was looking for. I'm not saying he won't be successful when/if he gets another HC job, but I didn't want that. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, stinkfist said:

Your opinion on some of these hirings also is going to be effected by where you see the Eagles right now and also, what you expect from them. In your mind, are they a team that is just going to get healthy on the right side of the offensive line, fix Carson Wentz and get back to the playoffs with good drafting? Are they a miserable bunch of bum coaches with a GM that can't draft and injury plagued old men? People are all over the place. 

I liked Doug a lot when hired. 

I like Nick a lot. I like this DC hire a lot. I want new ideas and philosophies put in front of Lurie and Roseman, whether or not they are still "controlling" things, because maybe these young guys trigger something in one of them. 

I'm not sure I believe the Eagles are married to Wentz. Some think this coach solidified that. I don't see that. 

Right now, the Eagles in my eyes are a team that has two options at QB, an extremely talented weapon at RB and an aging, yet very talented offensive line. I'm excited about Mailata. If he continues to progress as he has been, I think people underestimate just how dominate he'll be. Frankly, I've forgotten about Dillard. The receivers coming back are flawed, but try hard. Dallas is an excellent TE. Need to get better on the outside. 

Front four is talented, but aging. I remember the monster that was Josh Sweat in high school. This year was the first time he started to look like that again. I love 49. Again, I can't stress enough how much I love 49. Singleton is one of my favorite players in the NFL. Put two guys that were supposed to be in the NFL around him. 

These are people that went after Rock Ya Sin (huge fan on and off the field) two drafts ago. An absolutely mean as hell man corner that will knock you into tomorrow and is a leader. Zaire Franklin is also a captain up in Indy. He was a kid at LaSalle that when you talked to as a teenager, you felt like he was already 25. 

I'm a fan. Could they bust? Heck yeah. I'm ready to give these guys a shot though. I don't want the same recycled stuff. 

Josh McDaniels and his group of New England tree guys is not what I was looking for. I'm not saying he won't be successful when/if he gets another HC job, but I didn't want that. 

100 agreed. New staff could drastically change the identity of this team if Lurie and Roseman listen. Slightly less emphasis on the DL and more on LB and DB to balance things out on defense. On offense dial up plays to players strenghts.

• Like 2

Excited for this hire.  I never liked how Schwartz schemed his secondary and linebacker play.  It'll be refreshing to watch a new coordinator out to prove himself. 

2 hours ago, Ray75 said:

You know what?! I love the hire!

Finally someone with a DB background who values LB’s and has experience developing DB’s! If we draft accordingly, we’ll see a way more balanced defense in the near future.

I don’t think this guy has that kind of pull. Howie is basically running the show and he’s not getting linebackers because of some no named DC. 

50 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

I don’t think this guy has that kind of pull. Howie is basically running the show and he’s not getting linebackers because of some no named DC. 

No scheme works without the right pieces. Just saying...

46 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Well, what @Ray75 said is that Gannon values linebackers and has experience developing defensive backs. He stated that "if we draft accordingly", the Eagles will see a more balanced defense. 

What you're stating is that you don't think "the no named defensive coordinator" (his name is Jonathan Gannon and he's far from no named), will have no pull? 

If that truly happens, then it helps us as fans out then. Howie will then be several years removed from the Super Bowl he's leaning on and if he is not drafting players according to scheme (which he certainly did for Jim Schwartz), then he will finally root himself out as a poor GM and we will get a new one. 

So, if Howie doesn't listen it's a win-win as far as I'm concerned. Lurie doesn't make a head coaching hire and then let him hire his own staff just to have the players picked for them without feedback. There's limits to the madness. 

Again, if Howie just drafts whatever he wants ... awesome! 

36bc46d1-69b6-41e4-9aae-19640221176c_text_hi.gif

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Ray75 said:

No scheme works without the right pieces. Just saying...

28 minutes ago, stinkfist said:

Well, what @Ray75 said is that Gannon values linebackers and has experience developing defensive backs. He stated that "if we draft accordingly", the Eagles will see a more balanced defense. 

What you're stating is that you don't think "the no named defensive coordinator" (his name is Jonathan Gannon and he's far from no named), will have no pull? 

If that truly happens, then it helps us as fans out then. Howie will then be several years removed from the Super Bowl he's leaning on and if he is not drafting players according to scheme (which he certainly did for Jim Schwartz), then he will finally root himself out as a poor GM and we will get a new one. 

So, if Howie doesn't listen it's a win-win as far as I'm concerned. Lurie doesn't make a head coaching hire and then let him hire his own staff just to have the players picked for them without feedback. There's limits to the madness. 

Again, if Howie just drafts whatever he wants ... awesome! 

36bc46d1-69b6-41e4-9aae-19640221176c_text_hi.gif

Why does Howie need to draft new linebackers when he can just get them from other sources? Of course he’s also drafted young linebackers already. The Eagles are actually very young at the position. Bottom line don’t hold your breath thinking Howie is going to change. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I'm not trying to knock it bud. I'm not saying it's a bad hire or anything like that.

I know I’m just saying he was a hot name for a lot of different teams 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, vsptroops said:

According to The Athletic, Gannon ran a lot of 2 deep safeties and their DVOA rankings for their secondary were 15th, 19th, and 8th for the last 3 years. 

We have not drafted a safety in years. We had 1 safety and 1 sometimes safety, some times CB. I am curious how this system will translate.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Traveler Vic said:

We have not drafted a safety in years. We had 1 safety and 1 sometimes safety, some times CB. I am curious how this system will translate.

Have to hope Howie will work with Sirianni and target players that are needed to fit the new schemes on both sides of the ball.  If Howie drafts based solely on who HE thinks best fit what HE is looking for (e.g. last year drafting with a focus on speed) and doesn’t take into account any feedback from the coaching staff, he is just setting them up for failure.

Should he actually collaborate with Sirianni and the new coaches, hopefully Cisco is sitting there when our 3rd rd pick comes up and we grab him. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Have to hope Howie will work with Sirianni and target players that are needed to fit the new schemes on both sides of the ball.  If Howie drafts based solely on who HE thinks best fit what HE is looking for (eg last year drafting with a focus on speed) and doesn’t take into account any guidance from the coaching staff, he is just setting them up for failure.

Should he actually collaborate with Sirianni and the new coaches, hopefully Cisco is sitting there when our 3rd rd pick comes up and we grab him. 

Here lies the problem...or should i say Problems. 1)You never want to draft for a needed position, because that limits your choices. 2) Howie can't draft. 3) We do not have all the required pieces and getting them will take time...while there is a lot of pressure on the new young Head coach to win immediately.

Difficult situation for Nick. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EazyEaglez said:

Why does Howie need to draft new linebackers when he can just get them from other sources? Of course he’s also drafted young linebackers already. The Eagles are actually very young at the position. Bottom line don’t hold your breath thinking Howie is going to change. 

Other sources? What other sources? Free agency? Trades? 

The Eagles are very young. They're also very untalented. Who do they have that Howie drafted? Davion Taylor who has barely touched the field and Shaun Bradley. TJ Edwards wasn't drafted. 

Nate Gerry is gone. Are they going to re-sign him? Alex Singleton is gone. They have to re-sign him. Oh, he also wasn't drafted. 

So, the same Howie Roseman that spent to have Mychael Kendricks, Nigel Bradham and Jordan Hicks ... there's no chance he'll have ANY focus on LB now? 

I guess you're 100% correct. 

I fully expect our starting LBs to be Davion Taylor, Shaun Bradley and TJ Edwards. In fact, I'll bet he doesn't even bother to talk to Singleton. 

44 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Have to hope Howie will work with Sirianni and target players that are needed to fit the new schemes on both sides of the ball.  If Howie drafts based solely on who HE thinks best fit what HE is looking for (eg last year drafting with a focus on speed) and doesn’t take into account any feedback from the coaching staff, he is just setting them up for failure.

There are quite a few mid-late round safeties I like this year.  Cisco, Paris Ford and Tariq Thompson are three of them.

2 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

There are quite a few mid-late round safeties I like this year.  Cisco, Paris Ford and Tariq Thompson are three of them.

Cisco seems is projected to go somewhere mid 2nd ... it may be wishful thinking on my part hoping he lasts to 70.  Although safeties in general went later than projected last year, so ... 

Ford is more likely to still be there for us in the 3rd ... that is right around where he projects.  

Thomson is more a 5th rd projection.

I also like Nasirildeen who could/should be there at 70.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Uscg-green said:

One of my secrets is quality half time snacks. Mmm frozen orange slices

Frozen grapes are a crowd pleaser as well.

• Like 1

Seems like an exciting hire.

As people know I’m a big Schwartz fan, but maybe it was time for a change.

Have to give this guy time though. The D has been criminally under invested in, particularly in the draft. 

Might take 2/3 years to get it back on track.

4 hours ago, stinkfist said:

I fully expect our starting LBs to be Davion Taylor, Shaun Bradley and TJ Edwards. In fact, I'll bet he doesn't even bother to talk to Singleton. 

With you on Singleton. That SOB can play, which means...he won't be an Eagle for long.

And how much do you wanna bet our 3rd rounder Taylor will bust?

46 minutes ago, Madriver said:

With you on Singleton. That SOB can play, which means...he won't be an Eagle for long.

And how much do you wanna bet our 3rd rounder Taylor will bust?

Sounds like a safe bet. 

A 3rd round project? What could go wrong?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, stinkfist said:

Other sources? What other sources? Free agency? Trades? 

The Eagles are very young. They're also very untalented. Who do they have that Howie drafted? Davion Taylor who has barely touched the field and Shaun Bradley. TJ Edwards wasn't drafted. 

Nate Gerry is gone. Are they going to re-sign him? Alex Singleton is gone. They have to re-sign him. Oh, he also wasn't drafted. 

So, the same Howie Roseman that spent to have Mychael Kendricks, Nigel Bradham and Jordan Hicks ... there's no chance he'll have ANY focus on LB now? 

I guess you're 100% correct. 

Don’t expect much change to the linebackers. Don’t assume anyone is gone either. 

5 hours ago, Traveler Vic said:

Here lies the problem...or should i say Problems. 1)You never want to draft for a needed position, because that limits your choices. 2) Howie can't draft. 3) We do not have all the required pieces and getting them will take time...while there is a lot of pressure on the new young Head coach to win immediately.

Difficult situation for Nick. 

Not sure why people have this sudden concept that Howie is a draft king. We have witnessed this guy butcher the draft for several years now and suddenly people are acting like things will just be perfect. These new coaches aren’t here to tell Howie what to do. If anything it’s the other way around.

• Like 1

At the very least, our secondary issues should be a thing of the past. It only took a decade

11 hours ago, Ray75 said:

Was instrumental in the development of multiple DB’s and rejuvenated Xavier Rhodes career in Indy.

Once one of the best corners in the league, fell off a cliff in Minnesota, signed with Indy and had arguably his best season in the last 3 years under Gannon.

You only have to take a look at Indy’s DB’s, where they were drafted and the stats. Very impressive what the guy did with mid round selections and a Vikings cast off.

Rhodes, Zac Pascal, Anthony Walker might be key FA targets now