Ertz trade talk

DBW

5 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Hurts is really the only question mark cause no one has really seen him play this year. 

Sirianni is a pretty big question mark too. Mr Competitive basically was non competitive all preseason. We have no idea what kind of coach he will be at all. If these guys don’t buy into what he’s selling it will be a long season. 

3 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Sirianni is a pretty big question mark too. Mr Competitive basically was non competitive all preseason. We have no idea what kind of coach he will be at all. If these guys don’t buy into what he’s selling it will be a long season. 

Possibly but I think he knows football. He's a football guy and I think the players will respond to that for now. But you're right it could go wrong very quickly. 

4 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Lurie has done well in this area so I'm going to give benefit of doubt on this one for now

2 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Lurie has done well in this area so I'm going to give benefit of doubt on this one for now

You could make the same argument for the quarterbacks they have drafted high too, but all of this is basically wait and see. 

1 minute ago, EazyEaglez said:

You could make the same argument for the quarterbacks they have drafted high too, but all of this is basically wait and see. 

If Nick came straight from college I'd definitely have much more doubts. Plus he has mentors to lean on like Reich 

7 hours ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

The point is what Ertz did two years ago is irrelevant to what he is now. What he is based on last year is the 3rd best Tight End on the team.

Every player hits the wall eventually and most of them start hitting it post 30

8 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Even so, 2 of those players decline had nothing to do with age. And Eli was was 38 years old. None of those examples are relevant to Ertz. Ertz had on bad year coming off of his best years and is only turning 31. 

7 hours ago, Hawkeye said:

^^^correct.

By all accounts, Ertz had a terrific camp and has become one of Hurts' most trusted targets.  Everything they've done - dumping Wentz, passing on Fields and drafting Smith instead and so on is about maximizing Hurts' opportunity to succeed. 

And I don't buy the Watson blah blah.  He's not coming here.  The Eagles think they can turn Hurts into a top tier starting QB.  We'll see how that's going Sunday. 

Ertz was 29 for most of last year. Sure it's possible he has hit the beginning of the end. But isn't it just as likely that his performance last year was down to one or more of the contract issues, his lingering ankle injury, Covid, Wentz sucking, the Eagles sucking and imploding?

Sure we can't base everything off 2019, but we can take Ertz's whole career performance and how he has been looking in camp and pre-season and think that maybe we shouldn't just assume he is who he was in 2020.

I agree - despite the Watson narrative forced by the media, the Eagles want and hope that Hurts can succeed and surrounding him with guys like Ertz is a good way of doing it.

Ertz will be playing to audition for free agency to get a big contract, his last chance at big money.  That will benefit the Eagles and Hurts.  They need to also find a way to make Goedert get enough targets as he will take over next year.

3 hours ago, NOTW said:

Ertz will be playing to audition for free agency to get a big contract, his last chance at big money.  That will benefit the Eagles and Hurts.  They need to also find a way to make Goedert get enough targets as he will take over next year.

I don't think we'll keep either unless Hurts flames out, looking at TE salaries, our cap situation and the contracts at more critical positions like OT and DE we need to sort at year end, I think we let both walk and draft one early.

23 minutes ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

I don't think we'll keep either unless Hurts flames out, looking at TE salaries, our cap situation and the contracts at more critical positions like OT and DE we need to sort at year end, I think we let both walk and draft one early.

I hope not.  If they have critical positions like OT, DE, corner, etc they should use picks to draft those and keep Goedert a proven TE.  You can't just assume they will be successful at replacing a player in the draft.

33 minutes ago, NOTW said:

I hope not.  If they have critical positions like OT, DE, corner, etc they should use picks to draft those and keep Goedert a proven TE.  You can't just assume they will be successful at replacing a player in the draft.

Sure I can.   They replaced Maclin with Agholor.  They replaced Alshon with JJAW.  They replaced Tra Thomas with Winston Justice.   Donovan McNabb with Kevin Kolb.

What's the problem with just assuming you can draft a better player in the draft, or at least, as good.

Oh, and let's go to the way back machine... replaced Reggie White with Bruce Walker!  

1 hour ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Sure I can.   They replaced Maclin with Agholor.  They replaced Alshon with JJAW.  They replaced Tra Thomas with Winston Justice.   Donovan McNabb with Kevin Kolb.

What's the problem with just assuming you can draft a better player in the draft, or at least, as good.

Oh, and let's go to the way back machine... replaced Reggie White with Bruce Walker!  

Don't forget Dawkins with Nate Allen even though it wasn't till after a couple of years of macho Harris lol

8 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Don't forget Dawkins with Nate Allen even though it wasn't till after a couple of years of macho Harris lol

Yup.  

12 hours ago, NOTW said:

If Sweat or Barnett gets double digit sacks and Mailata starts at LT at a high level all this year, which are rarer in the draft a serviceable TE, a starting LT or double digit sack DE?

1 hour ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

If Sweat or Barnett gets double digit sacks and Mailata starts at LT at a high level all this year, which are rarer in the draft a serviceable TE, a starting LT or double digit sack DE?

It's all rare for Howie, he sucks. Keep young proven talent. 

Seriously doubt this team is moving on from Ertz. They’re keeping all their players and they are giving a lot of different guys touches. Surprised Boston Scott didn’t get any run yesterday.

5 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Seriously doubt this team is moving on from Ertz. They’re keeping all their players and they are giving a lot of different guys touches. Surprised Boston Scott didn’t get any run yesterday.

I'm glad he didn't. Enough of the Doug and Duces asinine rotations and tying certain players to certain plays and then calling those plays in a way that leaves a different back out there every effing play. The 2 guys with the most talent and production got all the calls. It was great to see. 

4 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

I'm glad he didn't. Enough of the Doug and Duces asinine rotations and tying certain players to certain plays and then calling those plays in a way that leaves a different back out there every effing play. The 2 guys with the most talent and production got all the calls. It was great to see. 

I thought Boston Scott was pretty decent as a receiver and I thought maybe he would get a few touches. I wasn't expecting a Duece back rotation, but a couple carries here and there maybe? I don't think Ward played either. Dude went from a starting slot guy to a got who got no tick. JJAW got more snaps than the guy who led the Eagles in receptions last year.  

7 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

I thought Boston Scott was pretty decent as a receiver and I thought maybe he would get a few touches. I wasn't expecting a Duece back rotation, but a couple carries here and there maybe? I don't think Ward played either. Dude went from a starting slot guy to a got who got no tick. JJAW got more snaps than the guy who led the Eagles in receptions last year.  

I think Scott is going to have a role to play this year (as will Ward) it just wasn't a role on Sunday. I suspect Sirianni wants to keep some things back too as perhaps he has certain ways he'd like to use those guys?

3 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

I'll trust Nick with the call at receiver for now. He seems passionate about getting the most out of receivers, still like you said I thought we would see ward a few times. 

We still see though, maybe Nick S is going go with different receivers based on match ups. Could be why we saw JJAW cause he wanted to get the screen game going and well as we know now Nick values a good blocking receiver to help out with that. 

I wonder if he will see something different with the niners and could go down field more and that opens things up things underneath for Ward.

I don't know, I might be over thinking all of this cause I'm freaking excited about Nick Sirianni!!! Lol

1 minute ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I think Scott is going to have a role to play this year (as will Ward) it just wasn't a role on Sunday. I suspect Sirianni wants to keep some things back too as perhaps he has certain ways he'd like to use those guys?

You said what I said in a lot fewer words lol. 

People not giving Ertz enough love for that amazing screen on the Devonta TD!

Archived