Ertz trade talk

DBW

1 minute ago, Road to Victory said:

I’m sure there’s a way they can fit Watson under the cap but do they really want to go through another year of slashing and burning the roster and kicking the can down the road again. He has a $35m cap number next year. 

I don’t even want Watson actually. I think trading for him would be a huge mistake. It’s not what I want I’m talking about here. It’s the Eagles actions that are concerning regarding Watson and their pursuit of him. With the noise that keeps coming out we can’t assume Goedert is off the table. 

2 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

I don’t even want Watson actually. I think trading for him would be a huge mistake. It’s not what I want I’m talking about here. It’s the Eagles actions that are concerning regarding Watson and their pursuit of him. With the noise that keeps coming out we can’t assume Goedert is off the table. 

I know. Howie is dying for a franchise QB even before seeing what Hurts can do in a full season. 

8 minutes ago, Road to Victory said:

I know. Howie is dying for a franchise QB even before seeing what Hurts can do in a full season. 

I believe the Eagles should ride this season out. Don’t make any moves and see what Hurts can do. Howie just seems obsessed with the QB factory. 

If Goedert was genuinely available for trade, the Bills, Bengals, Panthers or Jets would have made offers because their current Tight Ends are all sub 500 yard nobodies.

19 minutes ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

If Goedert was genuinely available for trade, the Bills, Bengals, Panthers or Jets would have made offers because their current Tight Ends are all sub 500 yard nobodies.

As opposed to Goedert (TATE pick for one of the best TEs in football) and his 524 yards and 14 million price tag!

2 minutes ago, Swoop said:

As opposed to Goedert (TATE pick for one of the best TEs in football) and his 524 yards and 14 million price tag!

If you're seriously suggesting Goedert isn't better than anyone those teams have I don't know what to tell you.

8 minutes ago, Swoop said:

He’s been TE2 his entire time in Philly. If not for Ertz cutting into his production his numbers would be far better. He won’t have that issue if he was traded to Buffalo, NY or Carolina. 

12 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

"My representation, we talked about it earlier. We thought we'd have a deal done by this time of the year," Goedert said Monday. "But the team decided to go a different way. We haven't got that done yet.”

https://www.nfl.com/news/dallas-goedert-thought-he-d-have-a-deal-done-with-eagles-by-start-of-season

An article on the NFL network right now. Seems like the Eagles aren’t as locked in as some of you are on Goedert. 

Just speculating here, but maybe Goedert's agent made it clear what they were looking for and it far exceeded what Howie would be willing to spend so he figured try to deal him now while his value is about as good as it is going to get and he is still under contract with us to get something decent in return (since he is a FA after the season).  

42 minutes ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

If you're seriously suggesting Goedert isn't better than anyone those teams have I don't know what to tell you.

I'm not. What I'm suggesting is that Goedert's production at 14 million/year, plus what it would cost to get him in draft capital, likely isn't a big enough upgrade for some of these teams to pull the trigger. 

35 minutes ago, nipples said:

He’s been TE2 his entire time in Philly. If not for Ertz cutting into his production his numbers would be far better. He won’t have that issue if he was traded to Buffalo, NY or Carolina. 

He was TE1 last year and did nothing of substance aside from getting hurt. You also have to consider that this is a team that has been running two TE sets frequently and has had QBs that like to focus on their TEs.

1 hour ago, time2rock said:

Just speculating here, but maybe Goedert's agent made it clear what they were looking for and it far exceeded what Howie would be willing to spend so he figured try to deal him now while his value is about as good as it is going to get and he is still under contract with us to get something decent in return (since he is a FA after the season).  

The "team had decided to go a different way” part of the comment is a bit curious though. For me it kind of raises an eyebrow as to what exactly that means. Seems like it would be easier to get him locked up now before he has that "breakout season” than later. The Eagles have already moved money around to get him locked up now too. So what are they waiting for exactly? 

1 minute ago, EazyEaglez said:

The "team had decided to go a different way” part of the comment is a bit curious though. For me it kind of raises an eyebrow as to what exactly that means. Seems like it would be easier to get him locked up now before he has that "breakout season” than later. The Eagles have already moved money around to get him locked up now too. So what are they waiting for exactly? 

Yeah I saw that part of the quote and it raised an eyebrow.  

15 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Yeah I saw that part of the quote and it raised an eyebrow.  

I am curious to know what’s going on here. Seems odd the Eagles would let this guy reach free agency at this point in his career with no other option.

26 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

I am curious to know what’s going on here. Seems odd the Eagles would let this guy reach free agency at this point in his career with no other option.

I don't know ... I can only guess his agent gave Howie a price to extend his client and it was far more than we are willing to go, as I stated earlier. 

Or maybe the Eagles are devaluing TE (in much the same way they did with LB for so many years) and think they can get close to the same level of production with Stoll and Jackson.  

Today's Philly Voice Eagle's article is the source.  That was a great offer and more than fair value.  If you know what you're doing you can get excellent players early in the 4th round.  Normally the talent there falls of dramatically after picks 10-15 or so.  Every team has mid 3rd round players on their boards still available early in the 4th.  Howie turned down a good pick, a solid contributor at DT, OG, C, S, RB, LB, maybe WR too. 

2 minutes ago, weko said:

If you know what you're doing you can get excellent players early in the 4th round.

Does that describe Howie?

3 hours ago, time2rock said:

I don't know ... I can only guess his agent gave Howie a price to extend his client and it was far more than we are willing to go, as I stated earlier. 

Or maybe the Eagles are devaluing TE (in much the same way they did with LB for so many years) and think they can get close to the same level of production with Stoll and Jackson.  

In a market where Jonnu Smith can get $12.5million a year, a guy who can go 500-600 yards with ~ 5 TD’s as a 2nd TE is going to have a pretty strong market, it's all very well letting Goedert and Ertz run down their contracts but I'm thinking neither are here beyond this year (and that comes back to Howie's cap management).

17 minutes ago, weko said:

Today's Philly Voice Eagle's article is the source.  That was a great offer and more than fair value.  If you know what you're doing you can get excellent players early in the 4th round.  Normally the talent there falls of dramatically after picks 10-15 or so.  Every team has mid 3rd round players on their boards still available early in the 4th.  Howie turned down a good pick, a solid contributor at DT, OG, C, S, RB, LB, maybe WR too. 

Link?

2 minutes ago, kentwo said:

4th round pick seems about market value for his situation.

But how would they know it is an "early" fourth round pick?

Ishy team? It'd be a safe bet that the Texans will be picking early for instance.

1 hour ago, weko said:

Today's Philly Voice Eagle's article is the source.  That was a great offer and more than fair value.  If you know what you're doing , which Howie doesnt, this is why you dont take the trade. 

fyp

I'm okay with this. I think he will help this year and if it all goes down the pan then I think we can get at least a 4th and possibly more at the trade deadline.

People have silly short memories. Ertz in 2019 had 116 catches. He sucked last year, but there were lots of potential reasons for that. He's only 30 and younger than Travis Kelce, I don't believe he's done and clearly neither do the Eagles.

Oh and for those who do fantasy. He's a gift when you can get him at pick 120 or later.

Archived