Anyone got a bad feeling the Eagles will draft a QB in the first round?

opa-opa

I would really like to see them add a difference making playmaker on offense at 6, and from there really focus on the defense and OL.

15 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

No faith in Jaylen Russell Hurts Wilson I see

RG4 being our QB is concerning.

22 hours ago, EagleVA said:

I see them pushing very hard for them to spend #6 on Chase which I don't like at all, if they make that move you'll continue to hear "the WRs can't get any separation".

It seems to me that Chase should go to the Bengals because Burrow.

6 minutes ago, Random Reglar said:

They would be complete and total morons to pass on Sewell assuming he is there. There OL was terrible last year and it won't matter who Burrow has to throw to if he is constantly under pressure and/or getting his knee shredded like he did last year.

34 minutes ago, T-1000 said:

I would really like to see them add a difference making playmaker on offense at 6, and from there really focus on the defense and OL.

That would be the smart thing to do which is exactly why we won't.

Hopefully Pitts is there at 6 and they almost have no choice but to pick him.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Madriver said:

That would be the smart thing to do which is exactly why we won't.

Hopefully Pitts is there at 6 and they almost have no choice but to pick him.

I don't think they would take Pitts at #6.

25 minutes ago, T-1000 said:

They would be complete and total morons to pass on Sewell assuming he is there. There OL was terrible last year and it won't matter who Burrow has to throw to if he is constantly under pressure and/or getting his knee shredded like he did last year.

But there are other options at Left Tackle.  I don't really care about the Bengals,  but they could find a LT in free agency.  They could find a LT in the 2nd round.    But they can't get a WR who Burrow is proven good at throwing to.   Maybe Sewell is the next Greg Robinson?   There were 4 OTs taken at the top of the draft last year.  People weren't so sure which was the best,  but the Giants took Andrew Thomas first of the 4 and last year at least he was the worst.  It turned out the the one with the top sparq,  Tristan Wirfs,  drafted 4th out of those 4, was the best. 

I don't even know what exactly the problem with the Bengals oline was.   Perhaps they need more than 1 oliner to fix the problem?  Perhaps they should get a number of oliners of sufficient quality, and not spend the #5 pick on one oliner.   I dunno.  I just see it as "Burrow to Chase was proven to work" so do that.  Same as Tua to Smith.  That was proven to work. 

IMHO, they should let Hurts play out the season to see if he is the QB of the future.  Adding a high pick QB is just the repeat of QB problem of the last season.  

Smart way is to use the picks on offensive weapons or the depth on defense.  

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Penn7980 said:

IMHO, they should let Hurts play out the season to see if he is the QB of the future.  Adding a high pick QB is just the repeat of QB problem of the last season.  

Yes and no. They've got to have a handle on the next couple of drafts in terms of the QBs. Hurts may well be just good enough so they don't suck enough to be top 10 in the draft but not good enough to make them relevant. 

3 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I don't think they would take Pitts at #6.

Why? Because he won't be there or because you think he's a bad choice?

6 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Yes and no. They've got to have a handle on the next couple of drafts in terms of the QBs. Hurts may well be just good enough so they don't suck enough to be top 10 in the draft but not good enough to make them relevant. 

I think it's just as likely this goes the other direction. New coaches, draft a WR first - healthy OL, and we could see this look a whole lot different.

9 hours ago, Random Reglar said:

Is this a record for shortest post by Random Reglar?

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Madriver said:

Why? Because he won't be there or because you think he's a bad choice?

Neither. I don't think they'll take a TE / WR at #6. Just a gut feeling I have. I think he'll be a great choice but at #6? I'm not so sure. 

2 hours ago, Infam said:

I think it's just as likely this goes the other direction. New coaches, draft a WR first - healthy OL, and we could see this look a whole lot different.

I don't see it bud. We don't know what to expect from these coaches. Now that may be a good thing but they don't have a lot to work with. 

Virtually every mock draft has them taking some ham and egger major project QB at #6 instead of taking a stud WR, OL, or CB. In other words, all these people know how Howie rolls. 

27 minutes ago, Gannan said:

Virtually every mock draft has them taking some ham and egger major project QB at #6 instead of taking a stud WR, OL, or CB. In other words, all these people know how Howie rolls. 

Or they realize that we don't have a long term QB solution.

Just now, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

Or they realize that we don't have a long term QB solution.

That may be, but its difficult to make that assessment after only 4 games. If that turns out to be the case it shows how horrible wasting a 2nd rd. pick on the guy was.

To make matters worse none of the QBs save for Lawrence (who obviously won't be there at #6) is a better prospect than Hurts was last year. This is an extremely weak QB class. 

Much better to use these picks to draft a young core, and bring in a veteran to compete with Hurts. If Hurts stinks, we will have a high pick to use next year on a QB. 

18 minutes ago, Gannan said:

That may be, but its difficult to make that assessment after only 4 games. If that turns out to be the case it shows how horrible wasting a 2nd rd. pick on the guy was.

To make matters worse none of the QBs save for Lawrence (who obviously won't be there at #6) is a better prospect than Hurts was last year. This is an extremely weak QB class. 

Much better to use these picks to draft a young core, and bring in a veteran to compete with Hurts. If Hurts stinks, we will have a high pick to use next year on a QB. 

Most of your concept just seems wrong to me.  

• They have plenty of data to determine if he is a franchise QB or not.  It's not like this new staff is going to be the first one to ever clean up his "one read and run" mentality or his mechanics or his accuracy.  They can see his college tape at the highest level of program.  They know exactly what they have.
  • Hurts is still a 3rd round (or later) in this class.  All of the top QBs would be considered better than him and would have higher ceilings.  The only benefit that he has is that he is one year into NFL experience.  Other than that, nothing stands out.
  • I agree with your concept of building the core, but I pause at the point where I realize that he is capable of squeezing out 7 or 8 wins next year running around (or most years).  That may win the East and land us a midround pick far out of contention for prime QB talent.  

I don't think they take a QB at 6, because that requires Howie to admit that he didn't steal Russell Wilson in the 2nd last year.  Because of his ego, I see a trade down scenario to try to deal with your Point 3....the success he achieves with a very limited QB will be interesting to watch.

2 hours ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

Most of your concept just seems wrong to me.  

• They have plenty of data to determine if he is a franchise QB or not.  It's not like this new staff is going to be the first one to ever clean up his "one read and run" mentality or his mechanics or his accuracy.  They can see his college tape at the highest level of program.  They know exactly what they have.
  • Hurts is still a 3rd round (or later) in this class.  All of the top QBs would be considered better than him and would have higher ceilings.  The only benefit that he has is that he is one year into NFL experience.  Other than that, nothing stands out.
  • I agree with your concept of building the core, but I pause at the point where I realize that he is capable of squeezing out 7 or 8 wins next year running around (or most years).  That may win the East and land us a midround pick far out of contention for prime QB talent.  

I don't think they take a QB at 6, because that requires Howie to admit that he didn't steal Russell Wilson in the 2nd last year.  Because of his ego, I see a trade down scenario to try to deal with your Point 3....the success he achieves with a very limited QB will be interesting to watch.

See and I think these concepts are wrong.

1) Assuming that a 21 year old kid that only played 4 professional games is a finished product because college. He came from 2 winning college programs that both utilize more one read type of offense. Kyler Murray and Baker Mayfield both were (and still are) considered one read QBs because of Oklahoma. Josh Allen looked terrible year one and ran the ball a lot after the first read. They have all got better with coaching.

2) This is also ignoring the trend that is happening in the NFL where they are moving away from pocket QBs and moving more towards QBs that can move out of the pocket and run RPOs. If a QB can take a defender off the field then it opens up more space.

3) Using 4 games from an obviously dysfunctional team, a team where the HC was fired only 3 years removed from the Super Bowl and 2 additional playoff appearances, with an o-line that had a new player every week, to judge a QB is flawed at it's core. It is just as unfair to blame Hurts for poor play as it is Wentz. The only difference is that Hurts was a rookie with no off season program who was thrown right into the mess, versus a veteran.

4) Worrying about him being 'just good enough' to make the Eagles draft in the lower half of the rounds is absurd thinking IMHO. Talent can be allocated from many different places and you do not have to only point towards the draft for a QB. If he is just mediocre and there is a ton of other talent on the team, they can always package picks to move up, they can get a veteran QB in FA on the team for a couple of years. They could find a later round gem. This should always be the least of any fans worry.

Hurts could be great or he could suck. To make a definitive opinion on him based off of the terrible Eagles last year or to look at college and say 'yep this is all this kid will ever be' is flawed thinking.

I think giving up on him right away is a terrible way to utilize your assets. Lets have the new coaching staff coach him, get some better players around him and let's see what he can do next year. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, pallidrone said:

1) Assuming that a 21 year old kid that only played 4 professional games is a finished product because college. He came from 2 winning college programs that both utilize more one read type of offense. Kyler Murray and Baker Mayfield both were (and still are) considered one read QBs because of Oklahoma. Josh Allen looked terrible year one and ran the ball a lot after the first read. They have all got better with coaching.

2) This is also ignoring the trend that is happening in the NFL where they are moving away from pocket QBs and moving more towards QBs that can move out of the pocket and run RPOs. If a QB can take a defender off the field then it opens up more space.

3) Using 4 games from an obviously dysfunctional team, a team where the HC was fired only 3 years removed from the Super Bowl and 2 additional playoff appearances, with an o-line that had a new player every week, to judge a QB is flawed at it's core. It is just as unfair to blame Hurts for poor play as it is Wentz. The only difference is that Hurts was a rookie with no off season program who was thrown right into the mess, versus a veteran.

4) Worrying about him being 'just good enough' to make the Eagles draft in the lower half of the rounds is absurd thinking IMHO. Talent can be allocated from many different places and you do not have to only point towards the draft for a QB. If he is just mediocre and there is a ton of other talent on the team, they can always package picks to move up, they can get a veteran QB in FA on the team for a couple of years. They could find a later round gem. This should always be the least of any fans worry.

Hurts could be great or he could suck. To make a definitive opinion on him based off of the terrible Eagles last year or to look at college and say 'yep this is all this kid will ever be' is flawed thinking.

I think giving up on him right away is a terrible way to utilize your assets. Lets have the new coaching staff coach him, get some better players around him and let's see what he can do next year. 

With that type of thinking, we will be riding around mid-pack for awhile.  However, I highly doubt we draft a QB, so we will all get to find out by following your plan.  We will see if he has the ability to succeed at this level or not.

20 minutes ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

With that type of thinking, we will be riding around mid-pack for awhile.  However, I highly doubt we draft a QB, so we will all get to find out by following your plan.  We will see if he has the ability to succeed at this level or not.

I dont mind riding the mid round pick. That usually means you are closer to winning then losing and more games that were tolerable to watch during the year then not.

I really hope they dont draft a QB - while I have no idea if Hurts will succeed or not, I am willing to wait a year or even two to see before dipping their toes into the QB pool.

21 hours ago, Outlaw said:

Is this a record for shortest post by Random Reglar?

not now

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Gannan said:

Dunno.  Maybe those mock drafters are just wrong.  Every year the mock drafters are always trying to sell fools gold to some team that falls for it.  Josh Rosen had the same kind of unprovable special arm talent as BYU guy.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, pallidrone said:

There's a good solid pack of words there.  I liked the 1), 2), 3)  part.

That part about not having to use the draft to get a QB is key, I think.

Leaving aside the fact that the Eagles might have no money right now,  the Eagles could get,  Marcus Mariota,  Cam Newton,  Jacoby Brissett,  Tyrod Taylor,  all who are generally similar to Hurts.

You definitely could build a team that has a great defense, a great run game, and a mediocre pass game and go to the playoffs and win the Super Bowl.   

It seems, though,  that what you want to do is get Tom Brady,  because Tom Brady just won the Super Bowl,  won 2 of the last 3,  3 of the last 5 and 4 of the last 7.    In the last 7 years,   Tom Brady has been better than everyone else combined.   Yet,  the Eagles won a Super Bowl in that time frame.

The Eagles can build an offense around the run, and around Hurts running.  And this should be sustainable for quite some time because there are other QBs who can be identified, and not ridiculously expensive like Wentz became. 

The Eagles even have those WR/QB or TE/QBs on the 90 roster at this point.  It seems like the Eagles are covered.  This year is not a good one for drafting a day 3 running QB prospect.  I like Sam Ehlinger, he might be somewhat close to FB/QB.  Next year there is D'eriq King, who was QB coached and OCed at Houston by Brian Johnson, now with Miami.  Also Willis from Liberty and Ridder from Cincinnati are options. 

What I'd like to see is build that offense that works for Hurts,  bring in another vet QB who can run that offense.   On the cheap end,  if Mariota, Newton, Brissett, Taylor are all too expensive,  there's RGIII,  Easton Stick,  Terrelle Pryor.    Joe Webb, Josh Johnson,  Tyler Huntley, Trace McSorley, Brett Hundley.   In the future, the Cardinals will have to decide about whether to pay Kyler Murray $30 Million, and if they don't,  well, it seems that QBs who don't make $30 make $10M or less.  See: Mariota. 

11 hours ago, Gannan said:

Describing an early first round QB prospect in the NFL draft as a ''ham and egger'' leads me to believe that expression doesn't mean what you think it means.

I don't think they'll draft a QB in the 1st Round nor should they draft one in the first 3 rounds.  The way things unfolded, the way they 'ran' Wentz out of town after spending so much draft capital on him and at the time signed him to the most guaranteed money and took the biggest dead cap hit in NFL history, all that equates to them hitching their wagon to Hurts.  At least for 2021.  Hurts has to be the guy for this coming season or they look like idiots who have no clue what the F they are doing and will be the laughing stock of the League.  That is not something Lurie wants.  Remember, he comes from Hollywood (sort of) where image and perception mean a lot.  He doesn't want himself and his organization to look like moronic fools.  If they didn't like what they saw in Hurts enough, even from a small sample size, then they should have just kept Wentz.  They brought in all these young O minded coaches, including Reich's protege, so they put the pieces in place to at least look like they wanted to fix Wentz.  Yeah, it's possible Wentz just told them he wanted to move on and the situation was untenable, but regardless they are now in the situation where they have to make Hurts the guy.

What they need to do is try and surround Hurts with as much talent on O as they can get.  And since they have no cap room, which is very unfortunate since this season is rich in the WR FA candidates, that means the draft.  They will need 1-2 OL players depending on if Kelce retires and Lane's health, they need a complimentary RB to Sanders (sorry, Scott is an RB3) and it's not like they can say no to a play making WR if one is available at any point in the draft.  Sure, on D they need at least 1 LB of starting quality, at least one DB and S each of starting quality and another DE to add to the mix.  But, since they have painted themselves into a corner with Hurts then the first priority is to get him as much talent on the O side as they can to help him be successful and the D side of the ball can wait til 2022 to be addressed.  We're not going to be in the playoff hunt next season so having a well rounded team on both sides of the ball isn't a necessity, but making it easier to put your 2nd year 2nd Round QB in a position to play his best is the necessity.  More so because you can better evaluate him if he has it or not.  If you give him every opportunity to be successful and he plays either mediocre or like ish for the entire season then you know he's not your guy and we're drafting another QB in 2022 who will walk into a team with talent on the O side.  If Hurts does play well then you know you have something. 

They pretty much put all their eggs in the Hurts basket so they have to find out if it was the right play or not and they need to find that out ASAP.