ROUND 1 (#10): Eagles select DeVonta Smith (Alabama WR)

Moderator6

22 minutes ago, T-1000 said:

I was thinking the same thing, that he will probably be playing at 170-175 this year and possibly get up to 180 in the future. Marvin Harrison was listed at 180 which means he was probably 170-175, and he also played in an era where DB's were able to actually touch and hit WR's.

lol. That's an understatement. They were damn dry humping WRs in that era. In fact I'm pretty sure the outcome of a New England vs Colts playoff game resulted in the emphasis on the illegal contact rules.

On 5/5/2021 at 8:34 PM, eggs said:

So we finally have a #1 receiver, for the first time since TO. But this one is younger and has a great attitude. I love it. I could make comparisons of Smith and Reagor to Jackson and Maclin and think they should be better. At least we don’t have to complain anymore......although I would like a big receiver.....

image.jpeg.6eb893fef484244f47f86fc8e80b4c52.jpeg

• Haha 3

Dallas sucks, but after reading about how PO'd the Gmen were about us jumping ahead of them to take Smith WITH the blessing of Dallas...hoo boy...Giants games may surpass Cowboys games for the rivalry factor.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Madriver said:

Dallas sucks, but after reading about how PO'd the Gmen were about us jumping ahead of them to take Smith WITH the blessing of Dallas...hoo boy...Giants games may surpass Cowboys games for the rivalry factor.

They may well do. I mean for me NY have just been pretty irrelevant for a while now. And yes so have Dallas in terms of success but I just hate that star and that they call themselves America's team. But if NY build a good roster and start becoming relevant again then that dislike for them will build. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

They may well do. I mean for me NY have just been pretty irrelevant for a while now. And yes so have Dallas in terms of success but I just hate that star and that they call themselves America's team. But if NY build a good roster and start becoming relevant again then that dislike for them will build. 

I’ve always felt like NYG was a sibling rivalry situation. When they win good for them, we’ll just beat them next time. And when we win I never feel particularly avenged, they are what we thought they were.

But Dallas fans are spoiled. Dallas fans are irrational. Dallas fans are oblivious to how the NFL actually works. The NFL doesn’t owe them a playoff appearance every year just for being Dallas. They don’t "deserve” more championship trophies unless they earn them like everyone else. The quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys is not the most important person in professional sports.

Beating Dallas means something greater than football; it means the good guys won.

• Like 7

11 minutes ago, Aerolithe_Lion said:

I’ve always felt like NYG was a sibling rivalry situation. When they win good for them, we’ll just beat them next time. And when we win I never feel particularly avenged, they are what we thought they were.

But Dallas fans are spoiled. Dallas fans are irrational. Dallas fans are oblivious to how the NFL actually works. The NFL doesn’t owe them a playoff appearance every year just for being Dallas. They don’t "deserve” more championship trophies unless they earn them like everyone else. The quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys is not the most important person in professional sports.

Beating Dallas means something greater than football; it means the good guys won.

Well said.

1 hour ago, Aerolithe_Lion said:

The quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys is not the most important person in professional sports.

That is the line that annoys me the most. QB is the most important position period. Not just for the stupid Cowboys. Have they ever even had a QB that was truly elite? Staubach, maybe? 

1 hour ago, Aerolithe_Lion said:

I know what you mean... When NY are good though I don't like them but that may have been in large part due to Eli and that miserable slapped face he always had. 

11 minutes ago, vaff said:

Do you guys think Sav Rocca is okay with Smith wearing his old number?

I heard he's fine with it but the goat Alex Henery threw a fit.  

• Haha 1

Just listened to his press conference from a couple days ago. Seems like a kid with a good head on his shoulders, easy to root for. Love how much emphasis he put on the importance of route running and technique. He gets it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nipples said:

Just listened to his press conference from a couple days ago. Seems like a kid with a good head on his shoulders, easy to root for. Love how much emphasis he put on the importance of route running and technique. He gets it. 

Absolutely. I think his size has meant that he's had to focus on route running and technique. He's a very impressive young man. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/3/2021 at 9:02 PM, jsdarkstar said:

He won the Heisman Trophy, Was the all time leading receiver in Alabama Football History, and Won a National Championship. If that's not enough, watch his highlight tape. Its impressive. He catches the ball, catches the ball in traffic, highpoints the ball while covered and beats man coverage and runs by defenders. He can run every route on the tree. Can't wait to see him play at this level. Not to mention, Jacoby Stevens at LSU said he was the toughest receiver he ever defended. That's just one player who played against him. There are others. 

Actually he won 2 National Championships, including his walk off catch as a freshman!

I will have to say, before the draft I was bragging about him and told y'all that you wouldn't be disappointed if you drafted him. He is one hellva player and a great young man! I can't wait to see him break away after a catch and leave those defenders running after him!

I am done with the Falcons! How do you trade Julio? Look, I get the cap space problems and everything, but dang, you just traded away a HOF receiver for a 2nd round pick!!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, Talonblood said:

Already injured. 

It’s a minor knee sprain. Just being cautious. 

11 hours ago, Outlaw said:

It’s a minor knee sprain. Just being cautious. 

I hear ya. It's his size in the NFL.... I wonder. Hopefully, this guy can pull it off.

4 hours ago, Talonblood said:

I hear ya. It's his size in the NFL.... I wonder. Hopefully, this guy can pull it off.

But this really has nothing to do with his size and the NFL. This is just one of those things.