ROUND 1 (#10): Eagles select DeVonta Smith (Alabama WR)

Moderator6

48 minutes ago, PoconoDon said:

Hie route running changed. Before the hit he went inside on shallow crosses with regularity. After the hit, he rarely went in there. Andy changed the routes to better protect him and he disappeared for games at a time. He'd beat you deep or he didn't really exist much. That was the result I saw.

That was only the final season of his contract because the Eagles didn't give him a new deal.  That was 100% the Eagles fault.  They always extended guys early and eventually did give him a new deal after that season.  I don't blame DeSean at all for trying to avoid injury in the final year of his deal. 

The truth on Smith is that, really, the weight issue was the only one teams had about the Heisman winner. He was completely clean overwise. "We asked all the SEC guys who the best player they played against was over the last couple months,” said one rival NFC exec. "All of them, every one, said DeVonta. And the Bama guys all said, ‘He’s the best football player I’ve ever been around.’ ”

NFL Draft 2021: Day 2 news and rumors - Sports Illustrated

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

Like the famous Replacements kicker, he’s "wiry.” Yes he’s skinny. We all know it but the kid is nothing but muscle, sinew, toughness and hands down the best route runner I’ve ever seen play in college. 

There’s no doubt he’s a gifted athlete. But I’m not gonna stop poking fun at these toothpicks 😂 

• Haha 1

I grade this pick an A

It would have been an A+ if no trade up. I do feel the trade up was needed though. Great pick

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, DeathByEagle said:

I grade this pick an A

It would have been an A+ if no trade up. I do feel the trade up was needed though. Great pick

I take the macro approach and see it as we got DeVonta Smith, a 1st in 2022 and a 4th in 2021 for Jaylen Waddle, a 3rd and a 5th. I’d do that every single time. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

I take the macro approach and see it as we got DeVonta Smith, a 1st in 2022 and a 4th in 2021 for Jaylen Waddle, a 3rd and a 5th. I’d do that every single time. 

He was a great pick for sure. I had no prob with the trade up and unlike some felt it did need to be done to ensure he was the selection. if the Giants took him this draft would be a whole lot different in each of the first 2 days of this draft. More then likely I would have taken Slater at 12 in that situation if the Bears moved up with the Cowboys. If they still moved with the Gmen then we get him. BUT this is all speculation so Im happy they made the move to go get the guy they wanted all along. I did not want to touch Waddle. Not a fan. Smith I was all for. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, DeathByEagle said:

I grade this pick an A

I'm not thrilled specifically that it was Dallas we traded with. Any non NFCE team I wouldn't have lost sleep over the trade, even if I wish we had both 3rds, but if Smith proves worth it, in several years, no one will care about the lost 3rd anyway.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Well hopefully we don't have any more crappy QBs that lead our receivers into getting lit up too

A few weeks ago Jason Avant and Quintin Mikell talked about this hit. Avant said it was DeSean’s fault for not knowing the coverage.

30 minutes ago, vaff said:

A few weeks ago Jason Avant and Quintin Mikell talked about this hit. Avant said it was DeSean’s fault for not knowing the coverage.

Actually now that you mention it. Wants it zone coverage and instead of sitting in the open space desean kept running?

On 4/30/2021 at 6:38 AM, Heavywchamp said:

Yeah at 6-10 we probably would've already been picking at #10 anyway. It's splitting hairs though but I'm glad we sucked a little more this year to be in the position to trade with Miami and net us another 1st round next year. I'm just as equally stoked about next year's draft ammo. 

Im looking at this pick as motivation for our own 1st pic last year (reagor) too.  

this will be fun to watch develop and hopefully out best wr combo in many many years.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, DeathByEagle said:

I grade this pick an A

If you wanted Smith you had to get ahead of the Giants. 

Obviously we’d all have rather kept the extra third, but I’d rather get the blue chip talent in Smith than miss out on him and keep the extra third.

Howie read them like a book. Got us the extra first in 2022 and still got Smith. Hard to see this as anything but an A, and an A+ if you factor in the 2022 first.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, TEW said:

Obviously we’d all have rather kept the extra third, but I’d rather get the blue chip talent in Smith than miss out on him and keep the extra third.

If we'd have stayed put at #12 and NY would have taken Smith can you imagine the reaction on here? 

• Haha 1

Just now, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

If we'd have stayed put at #12 and NY would have taken Smith can you imagine the reaction on here? 

Doomsday scenario was in play and would have happened if we didn't trade up with DAL:

- DAL takes the Chicago deal

- NYG draft DeVonta Smith

- Eagles get left holding the bag at #12

• Like 3

Just now, D-Shiznit said:

Doomsday scenario was in play and would have happened if we didn't trade up with DAL:

Exactly! And then what do they do? No top WR, no top CB and no real interest in teams trading up with them. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I'd rather not.

Frankly, I would have been ecstatic getting the trade down that the Giants got, but I know most people in here would have lost their minds.

17 minutes ago, D-Shiznit said:

Very strong possibility.

Nice highlight video I somehow have not watched over the past 4 months.  3:32 into it the video just starts showing a bunch of highlights of Smith taking huge hits right after the catch and holding onto it like the beast that he is.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, D-Shiznit said:

I would be so sad watching Smith destroy us twice a year. So glad we got this right.

10 hours ago, TEW said:

I'd rather not.

Frankly, I would have been ecstatic getting the trade down that the Giants got, but I know most people in here would have lost their minds.

Very strong possibility.

Come on! We already got another first next year out of it. The opportunity to grab a real difference maker is more important than adding yet another first.

I would have been extremely happy with Smith at 6, as I think he is the best receiver in this draft. The added first still blows my mind.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, TEW said:

I'd rather not.

Very strong possibility.

2 hours ago, Infam said:

Come on! We already got another first next year out of it. The opportunity to grab a real difference maker is more important than adding yet another first.

I would have been extremely happy with Smith at 6, as I think he is the best receiver in this draft. The added first still blows my mind.

Smith was completely the right pick, but if we hadn’t of been able to trade up, I would have taken the Chicago deal, then drafted Farley or Newcomb. Terrance Marshall JR in 2nd. 

Then corner again and O-Line with our two thirds.

2 hours ago, ManchesterEagle said:

Smith was completely the right pick, but if we hadn’t of been able to trade up, I would have taken the Chicago deal, then drafted Farley or Newcomb. Terrance Marshall JR in 2nd. 

Then corner again and O-Line with our two thirds.

I would take Sewel every time from 6th as he fell to 7th...not saying I am not happy with the outcome...actually the opposite is true

3 hours ago, Vlad67 said:

I would take Sewel every time from 6th as he fell to 7th...not saying I am not happy with the outcome...actually the opposite is true

Players fell because the 49ers moved up to #3 to take QB Lance. If Dolphins stay at #3, are they still picking Waddle over Chase and Pitts? I don't think so. Say it's Chase #3. Then Falcons at #4 pick Pitts. Who will the Bengals take at #5? Sewell seems likely. Then Eagles are picking between Waddle and Smith at #6 anyway. 

What I'm saying is, I doubt the Eagles had any shot at Sewell.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, SNOORDA said:

Im looking at this pick as motivation for our own 1st pic last year (reagor) too.  

this will be fun to watch develop and hopefully out best wr combo in many many years.  

A lot of evaluators are still really high on Reagor. I still like him. Jason Avant was an assistant WR coach for the Eagles last year, and he really likes him, and said the constant Justin Jefferson talk really motivates him.

1 hour ago, toolg said:

Players fell because the 49ers moved up to #3 to take QB Lance. If Dolphins stay at #3, are they still picking Waddle over Chase and Pitts? I don't think so. Say it's Chase #3. Then Falcons at #4 pick Pitts. Who will the Bengals take at #5? Sewell seems likely. Then Eagles are picking between Waddle and Smith at #6 anyway. 

What I'm saying is, I doubt the Eagles had any shot at Sewell.

I think the eagles were looking to take a weapon no matter what in the first round.

Dickerson looks like the kind of player they fall in love with because of his personality and play on the field despite the injuries. So they had him locked up after they got a top 10 weapon. 

So I don't think they made those trades in the first with Sewell or Slater in mind at all. 

• Like 1

Well as much as I didn't want WR in the 1st round I just realized that I have already jumped on his bandwagon...really started root for the guy don't know why...usually not that easy with me