ROUND 1 (#10): Eagles select DeVonta Smith (Alabama WR)

Moderator6

55 minutes ago, Vlad67 said:

Well as much as I didn't want WR in the 1st round I just realized that I have already jumped on his bandwagon...really started root for the guy don't know why...usually not that easy with me

He’s not only a world class athlete, he’s a really humble intelligent kid as well. What’s not to like? Wait until that first route he leaves a CBs ankles behind on…instant lovefest from everyone. 

• Like 4

I’m actually excited about this pick, I just hope someone opposite him can emerge to take the pressure off.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Vlad67 said:

Well as much as I didn't want WR in the 1st round I just realized that I have already jumped on his bandwagon...really started root for the guy don't know why...usually not that easy with me

Because he's the Allen Iverson of football. How could you not route for such an underdog figure with diminutive stature that has dominated at the highest levels so far? This dude destroyed the SEC and everyone else year in and year out. Slim Reaper and I'm not talking K.D.!!!!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Vlad67 said:

He won the Heisman Trophy, Was the all time leading receiver in Alabama Football History, and Won a National Championship. If that's not enough, watch his highlight tape. Its impressive. He catches the ball, catches the ball in traffic, highpoints the ball while covered and beats man coverage and runs by defenders. He can run every route on the tree. Can't wait to see him play at this level. Not to mention, Jacoby Stevens at LSU said he was the toughest receiver he ever defended. That's just one player who played against him. There are others. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, jsdarkstar said:

He won the Heisman Trophy, Was the all time leading receiver in Alabama Football History, and Won a National Championship. If that's not enough, watch his highlight tape. Its impressive. He catches the ball, catches the ball in traffic, highpoints the ball while covered and beats man coverage and runs by defenders. He can run every route on the tree. Can't wait to see him play at this level. Not to mention, Jacoby Stevens at LSU said he was the toughest receiver he ever defended. That's just one player who played against him. There are others. 

7 drops in roughly 320 targets. 7 drops! Meanwhile Chase had I think 10 drops in roughly 150 drops. That's not to say Chase is going to be bad, I think his drop rate is pretty normal. Its too emphasise how good Smith is. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

7 drops in roughly 320 targets. 7 drops! Meanwhile Chase had I think 10 drops in roughly 150 drops. That's not to say Chase is going to be bad, I think his drop rate is pretty normal. Its too emphasise how good Smith is. 

He honestly has some of the best hands and maybe THE best route running ability I’ve ever seen. He’s gonna break some ankles, which is awesome considering how similarly built he and AI are. 

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

He honestly has some of the best hands and maybe THE best route running ability I’ve ever seen. He’s gonna break some ankles, which is awesome considering how similarly built he and AI are. 

At least there is no carrying violation in the NFL 😛

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Outlaw said:

I foresee a lot of holding and illegal contact calls in Smith's future.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, T-1000 said:

Last two seasons

26 games - 185 receptions, 3,102 yards, 37 TD's

Not bad is it! But bad at all. 

He is a truly confident smooth dude. At first I second guessed it. But man he just seems to have that dog in him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Right4thePicking said:

He is a truly confident smooth dude. At first I second guessed it. But man he just seems to have that dog in him.

I keep hearing he's an alpha too. A true alpha and this locker room needs that both now and in the future. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So we finally have a #1 receiver, for the first time since TO. But this one is younger and has a great attitude. I love it. I could make comparisons of Smith and Reagor to Jackson and Maclin and think they should be better. At least we don’t have to complain anymore......although I would like a big receiver.....

I really really really hope Reagor and Smith can be dual threats on the outside 

12 hours ago, eggs said:

So we finally have a #1 receiver, for the first time since TO. But this one is younger and has a great attitude. I love it. I could make comparisons of Smith and Reagor to Jackson and Maclin and think they should be better. At least we don’t have to complain anymore......although I would like a big receiver.....

I'm sure smith will be a good receiver but, let him play a snap first before saying he is the best since TO

On 5/3/2021 at 1:52 PM, Vlad67 said:

He is an elite person. I've never been more happy for an Eagles pick. Tons of us were talking about him for 2 years. We really got him. 

I think he will be an all time great for the franchise. It reminded me of the Fletcher Cox trade up. Go get your guy. 

I think he could be putting up 100 reception seasons early in his career. 

On 5/4/2021 at 5:18 PM, T-1000 said:

Last two seasons

26 games - 185 receptions, 3,102 yards, 37 TD's

235 receptions at Bama. Averages 16.9 yards a catch. 47 total touchdowns. 

Almost seems fake. :roll:

• Like 1

On 5/6/2021 at 11:56 AM, Redzonemadness said:

I'm just gonna leave this here.

Thats not good, you dont want to be working with Dropalor.

4 hours ago, Jeep_man said:

Thats not good, you dont want to be working with Dropalor.

Surely Dropalor is working with him and trying to learn how to catch? 😁

• Like 1

The more I listen to this kid do interviews, the more impressed I become. He is obviously a very articulate person with high character and a competitiveness and work ethic that is top notch. I understand why some doubt that a 166 pound WR can become an elite NFL player but if you listen to him speak he is not the average person and his production at the highest level of college ball in the SEC can't be ignored. Some people were just made different and to ''shatter the mold'' and I'm extremely confident that is Smith.

27 minutes ago, T-1000 said:

The more I listen to this kid do interviews, the more impressed I become. He is obviously a very articulate person with high character and a competitiveness and work ethic that is top notch. I understand why some doubt that a 166 pound WR can become an elite NFL player but if you listen to him speak he is not the average person and his production at the highest level of college ball in the SEC can't be ignored. Some people were just made different and to ''shatter the mold'' and I'm extremely confident that is Smith.

He'll probably put on a few more pounds of muscle with a NFL program. Not worried at all about his weight. He'll be out there running around closer to 170-180 when it's all said and done. There are some corners running around at that size.

Just now, judunno said:

He'll probably put on a few more pounds of muscle with a NFL program. Not worried at all about his weight. He'll be out there running around closer to 170-180 when it's all said and done. There are some corners running around at that size.

I was thinking the same thing, that he will probably be playing at 170-175 this year and possibly get up to 180 in the future. Marvin Harrison was listed at 180 which means he was probably 170-175, and he also played in an era where DB's were able to actually touch and hit WR's.