ROUND 3 (#73): Eagles select Milton Williams (Louisiana Tech DT)

Moderator6

9 minutes ago, T-1000 said:

PFF had Williams as the 3rd ranked DT in the draft and 73rd overall. Definite analytics pick which is probably why Donahoe was all bent out of shape.

From Howie’s response to the question it sounds like he wanted Aaron Robinson or McNeil. My guess is it was Robinson. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, eaglesfan0075 said:

NFL.com really liked him too. Drafttek had him in their top 100, so while not a household name, he's not some huge reach either.

Would have preferred a CB but I guess you can't fix everything in one offseason. Still should be some decent CB prospects in Round 4 though.

People are just mad because they didn't know who he was, he wasn't a corner, and Eagles fans couldn't handle actually being happy about the draft after last night and had to revert back to their old ways. Williams was very good value based on where everyone had him ranked. They are sticking to their board and not forcing needs which is smart for a team who is in a two year rebuild and can't fill of their needs in one year. This isn't like last year where they took a 5th round LB with very little football experience in the 3rd round.

• Like 1

Just now, NCiggles said:

From Howie’s response to the question it sounds like he wanted Aaron Robinson or McNeil. My guess is it was Robinson. 

Not sure why he would have been bent out of shape about Robinson, he's a slot corner and they really need outside guys.

• Like 1

It's got to be really hard For Tom Donohue to have respect for howie.........

8 minutes ago, eggs said:

That guy who disses Hwoie looks like an old time scout. He’s like really - some guy no one's ever heard of from Louisiana Tech who many sites thought would be lucky to be drafted and some didn’t even include in their evaluations. 

He excelled against Houston Baptist - some of their guys are over 200 lbs!

I love how you keep ignoring me calling you out for sounding ignorant. Lol you’re a clown bro. He’s not "some guy no one’s ever heard of” he’s someone YOU have never heard of. 

5 minutes ago, eaglesfan0075 said:

NFL.com really liked him too. Drafttek had him in their top 100, so while not a household name, he's not some huge reach either.

Would have preferred a CB but I guess you can't fix everything in one offseason. Still should be some decent CB prospects in Round 4 though.

Not a reach at all. Good value in fact. And yes I’d rather have taken a DB too, but this is a nice pick. 

5 minutes ago, eggs said:

I predict Joe Ostman will beat him out for the active roster this year. 

As we know from past .eagles mistakes, the combine warriors never work out. 

I predict you continue being a blathering idiot all through tomorrow also. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, eggs said:

This is my favorite clip of Howie and it exposes his total self promotional side trying to get everyone to fist bump him on his combine warrior and the old scout just won’t take the bait - he hates Howie and his stupid picks. He probably wanted a modest trade up for andre cisco who will be the next dawkins and Howie had his clever little discovery of the combine warrior for the third rate school and wouldn’t do it because he couldn’t look clever. What a dork. 

There was no combine this year. More proof of how little you actually know about the draft. 

• Haha 5

This team has so many goddamn holes its gonna take at least 2 drafts to buid it back. 

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, NCiggles said:

It may have actually been McNeil who ironically is ranked just above Williams on PFF as their No. 2 DT?

It's a stronger DB class and DL class so perhaps that's part of the logic going DL over DB? I do like what I see so far and he's not simply a workout warrior, he was fairly productive at LA Tech and was 1st team C-USA so at least the athleticism matches the production. Obviously he came from a smaller school, so there's some risk projecting that into the league, but I very much prefer this over Howie using our 1st on a DL like Kwity Paye. 3rd round is a reasonable spot for a guy like this.

• Like 1

Yeah, he disappeared against any team sniffing the top 50 in football.

14 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

I love how you keep ignoring me calling you out for sounding ignorant. Lol you’re a clown bro. He’s not "some guy no one’s ever heard of” he’s someone YOU have never heard of. 

Not a reach at all. Good value in fact. And yes I’d rather have taken a DB too, but this is a nice pick. 

I predict you continue being a blathering idiot all through tomorrow also. 

For those without a subscription to Athletic, Dane Brugler had him as #70 on his big board

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, opa-opa said:

This team has so many goddamn holes its gonna take at least 2 drafts to buid it back. 

I agree. And given that, making sure you draft your "biggest need” no matter what, would likely just end up leading to drafting inferior players. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

There was no combine this year. More proof of how little you actually know about the draft. 

Pro day - combine that makes you look good. 

Calm down, Howie. 

45 minutes ago, opa-opa said:

Maybe 3 of them.

As for the pick? He's versatile, productive, and gives good effort. I like him.

Some draft rankings for Milton Williams

Dane Brugler - 70

Daniel Jeremiah - 72

CBS Sports big board - 72

PFF - 73 / 3rd best DT

Can someone explain to me why the Barrett Brooks's, ESP'S, TATErs, and hoague mouths on twitter are trashing this pick as a reach and acting like this guy was some nobody. Seriously, do people even watch college football or do 30 mins of research of prospects in the NFL draft before they run their mouths. People like Brooks and ESP get Fing paid to do this. If people don't like the pick and think they really should have forced a CB pick rather than go for value, fine. To say this was a horrible value pick though which is what I keep seeing and hearing is just downright stupid and lazy.

• Like 5

57 minutes ago, T-1000 said:

Can someone explain to me why the Barrett Brooks's, ESP'S, TATErs, and hoague mouths on twitter are trashing this pick as a reach and acting like this guy was some nobody.  

Some people can never get over their own draft crushes. 

1 minute ago, brkmsn said:

Some people can never get over their own draft crushes. 

I get that. But just say you don't like the pick and say you would taken so and so. It's all of the filling in the narrative with BS like calling a guy a reach when he isn't.

3 minutes ago, T-1000 said:

I get that. But just say you don't like the pick and say you would taken so and so. It's all of the filling in the narrative with BS like calling a guy a reach when he isn't.

I think people also want to see Howie fail because they think he should be fired, so they're not willing to give some of these picks a chance. "Howie must go" is probably the biggest narrative leading to the BS gripes. 

8 minutes ago, T-1000 said:

Yeah, I don't think Williams is a reach but there were CBs who I would have considered in the same ballpark in terms of overall rank that I felt would have been a better pick for us there (especially given that late 3rd round run of CBs we just saw). 

There are still some intriguing CB prospects available but the Eagles don't pick until the 15th pick of the 4th round now. Maybe it's time to use some of those late round picks to move back up a bit. We couldn't get Jaycee Horn in the 1st but maybe we can get Israel Kukuamu in the 4th?

10 minutes ago, eaglesfan0075 said:

Yeah, I don't think Williams is a reach but there were CBs who I would have considered in the same ballpark in terms of overall rank that I felt would have been a better pick for us there (especially given that late 3rd round run of CBs we just saw). 

There are still some intriguing CB prospects available but the Eagles don't pick until the 15th pick of the 4th round now. Maybe it's time to use some of those late round picks to move back up a bit. We couldn't get Jaycee Horn in the 1st but maybe we can get Israel Kukuamu in the 4th?

Robert Rochell, Rodarius Williams, Israel Mukuamu, Tay Gowan are four guys I want at 123. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, eaglesfan0075 said:

An opinion like that is perfectly fair. Those calling it a reach, especially people who get paid to write and comment on it just look stupid. I also don't get being worked up over missing out on Robinson who is a slot corner which isn't something they need. Obviously the Eagles felt the corners after Surtain and Horn weren't that great and feel it's something they can address in free agency / next year's draft  where they have three first round picks. They had chances to get Samuel, Joseph, Adebo, St. Juste, Melifonwu, etc and passed on all of them. I wanted them to go corner early and often myself but I am intrigued by what appears to be a new approach of theirs to stick to their board and take the best player available.

• Like 2

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/eagles-war-room-milton-williams-2021-nfl-draft/1w4j6qucbd1hb1xmaqlvfz5a3f

Watch the video!!. Watch  Howie excitement..and then watch Donahoe reaction to the pick. I am on the fence about this pick..because I do not have much information..But considering how Angry I am about the second round pick..I am with Tom Donahoe. This draft was so promising that I had high expectations and Howie+Management is blowing it.

Just now, Traveler Vic said:

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/eagles-war-room-milton-williams-2021-nfl-draft/1w4j6qucbd1hb1xmaqlvfz5a3f

Watch the video!!. Watch  Howie excitement..and then watch Donahoe reaction to the pick. I am on the fence about this pick..because I do not have much information..But considering how Angry I am about the second round pick..I am with Tom Donahoe. This draft was so promising that I had high expectations and Howie+Management is blowing it.

Why did you have high hopes? Why did you think that Howie was going to do anything other than blow it?

13 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Why did you have high hopes? Why did you think that Howie was going to do anything other than blow it?

Was praying that after so many mistakes ..this time it would be different. More draft picks. Higher draft picks. But instead it is the same old samo. Howie is a cheerleader, bagman, pissboy. and Mr. L is an idiot who is enamored by guys who have good personality and talk sweet. I think Mr. L should sell this team to someone who knows more about football like a Sheep or a Goat or a Donkey. It will be an improvement over Mr. L.

• Like 1

Just now, Traveler Vic said:

Was praying that after so many mistakes ..this time it would be different. More draft picks. Higher draft picks. But instead it is the same old samo. Howie is a cheerleader, bagman, pissboy. and Mr. L is an idiot who is enamored by guys who have good personality and talk sweet. I think Mr. L should sell this team to someone who knows more about football then a Sheep or a Goat. It will be an improvement over Mr. L.

You were praying for a miracle then. This is why I've been so big on Howie being fired. This draft and next year's draft are huge if this team wants to turn things around and Howie is absolutely not the right man to rebuild this roster.

• Thanks 1