ROUND 5 (#150): Eagles select Kenneth Gainwell (Memphis RB)

Moderator6

1 hour ago, judunno said:

That's heart breaking. Pisses me off that we didn't do better with this damn pandemic.

When you have dummy standing up there telling everyone it's fake, what do you expect? Anyway...

Him taking off for a year just means less miles on him. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Portyansky said:

When you have dummy standing up there telling everyone it's fake, what do you expect? Anyway...

Him taking off for a year just means less miles on him. 

Agreed on all counts. This isn't over either. Can't get complacent. The variants can kick this off all over again considering the efficacy is unknown on the new strands. Just look at India. Much respect for folks like Gainwell who were trying to stop the spread. Routing for his success even more.

Kenny Gainwell was a QB out of high school. This kid was an absolute steal in RD 5.

"Mel Kiper do you have a late round steal"?

Kiper: "Kenny Gainwell in round 5 to Philly. He had a 3rd round grade. Gainwell is a playmaker".

Kenny Gainwell is BWest 2.0. He is NOT just a "receiver out of the backfield". This kid runs legit routes. He is a matchup nightmare. He can adjust, he has body control. He understands back-shoulder throws and catches. He doesn't dance in the backfield. He doesn't jump-cut. He hits the hole and is gone. He uses the spin move. Even in high school he could hit the hole and be gone on QB draws.

https://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/kenny-gainwell/jec8Dhi-EeS00gAmVebEWg/videos.htm?videoid=ea60da3e-c950-4c61-a347-0216298ddf06

https://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/kenny-gainwell/jec8Dhi-EeS00gAmVebEWg/videos.htm?videoid=94971dbe-c585-4d87-8ad0-17aa52d906ca

• Like 1

On 5/5/2021 at 11:52 AM, EagleVA said:

The problem with Howard is he's just not a good runner, gas or no gas........poor vision.

Why? Can he not see the firmament?

• Haha 1

On 5/4/2021 at 5:51 PM, Bwestbrook36 said:

I would say this projected roster is spot on. Hopefully a few surprises happen, in the way that a young guy develops faster then expected and bumps someone down the depth chart. I think a position that could happen is WR ( not smith) but Reagor on down. I don't expect Reagor to slide down the depth chart but, I hope we see some guys challenge him a bit. 

Not knowing the coaching staff we don't know how they fell about giving a younger guy a shot over an established vet . With all the coaches being so young I'm hoping that is the case that we don't see a young players development get stalled for old guys that need to be replaced. Not like the BS we saw the last few years and their loyalty to old junk. 

With that being said I hope someone like Mcpherson gets a chance to be the cb2. Not a " he played well but we have this 40 yr old that's been around for awhile" type nonsense lol. 

Why not trade Cox as well? He won't help us get to the next SB. Ertz most likely will be a cut after June 1 for cap reasons , unless someone desperate needs a TE and gives us something. He and Eagles are on the road to divorce..and that is a bad presence in the locker room that the new coaches do not need.

2 hours ago, Traveler Vic said:

Why not trade Cox as well? He won't help us get to the next SB. Ertz most likely will be a cut after June 1 for cap reasons , unless someone desperate needs a TE and gives us something. He and Eagles are on the road to divorce..and that is a bad presence in the locker room that the new coaches do not need.

Well kind of tough to trade cox right now. He would is a 23 million cap hit this year. 22 million in dead cap if cut or traded. Also they can't trade all the decent players they have left. It's hard to evaluate what you have going forward if all you have is rookies and trash on the entire team. 

1 hour ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Well kind of tough to trade cox right now. He would is a 23 million cap hit this year. 22 million in dead cap if cut or traded. Also they can't trade all the decent players they have left. It's hard to evaluate what you have going forward if all you have is rookies and trash on the entire team. 

If they cut or traded him after June 1, that would reduce the dead money hit to the cap to just shy of $9M (cut) or just shy or $8M (traded), but that then obviously pushes $13M of dead money to the 2022 cap (we've already pushed quite a bit off on next year's cap).  IF they wanted to move on from Cox, next year would likely be much more feasible (cut with normal designation would yield $10.6M in cap savings while also incurring $13M in dead money (trade figures are the same).  Using a post June 1 designation would yield $17M in cap savings and a $7M dead money hit (pushing $6M in dead money to the 2023 cap).  

5 minutes ago, time2rock said:

If they cut or traded him after June 1, that would reduce the dead money hit to the cap to just shy of $9M (cut) or just shy or $8M (traded), but that then obviously pushes $13M of dead money to the 2022 cap (we've already pushed quite a bit off on next year's cap).  IF they wanted to move on from Cox, next year would likely be much more feasible (cut with normal designation would yield $10.6M in cap savings while also incurring $13M in dead money (trade figures are the same).  Using a post June 1 designation would yield $17M in cap savings and a $7M dead money hit (pushing $6M in dead money to the 2023 cap).  

Just when I thought I read the cap thingy correctly..... I get completely schooled once again. I need to stay out of cap conversations lol

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, MeccaDon123 said:

Kenny Gainwell was a QB out of high school. This kid was an absolute steal in RD 5.

Kiper: "Kenny Gainwell in round 5 to Philly. He had a 3rd round grade. Gainwell is a playmaker".

Kenny Gainwell is BWest 2.0. He is NOT just a "receiver out of the backfield". This kid runs legit routes. He is a matchup nightmare. He can adjust, he has body control. He understands back-shoulder throws and catches. He doesn't dance in the backfield. He doesn't jump-cut. He hits the hole and is gone. He uses the spin move. Even in high school he could hit the hole and be gone on QB draws.

https://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/kenny-gainwell/jec8Dhi-EeS00gAmVebEWg/videos.htm?videoid=ea60da3e-c950-4c61-a347-0216298ddf06

https://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/kenny-gainwell/jec8Dhi-EeS00gAmVebEWg/videos.htm?videoid=94971dbe-c585-4d87-8ad0-17aa52d906ca

But can he play rock scissors and talk ball? 🤔

15 hours ago, MeccaDon123 said:

He looks to have a legit stiff arm too

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

It's the Youth Movement!!! Check your numbers..Overthecap says if Eagles trade Cox after June 1st..thats 16 million dollars cap savings.

I love COX, he is the leader. But he started slowing down a little last year and  considering how many quality free agents you can bring with those funds starting with Nelson at CB..you have to ask yourself a question Hmmm??? What's better? It is argumentative, but something to think about..plus more future picks for Cox.

48 minutes ago, Traveler Vic said:

It's the Youth Movement!!! Check your numbers..Overthecap says if Eagles trade Cox after June 1st..thats 16 million dollars cap savings.

I love COX, he is the leader. But he started slowing down a little last year and  considering how many quality free agents you can bring with those funds starting with Nelson at CB..you have to ask yourself a question Hmmm??? What's better? It is argumentative, but something to think about..plus more future picks for Cox.

My numbers were already checked by someone else and yours are also wrong and  I still say no. Cause that pushes 13 million in dead cap to next season. If they don't stop pushing money to next year we won't have any money for 2022 either. 

I also have no desire to spend a lot on free agents in a year already knowing we won't be competing . 

Also why would you want more money for free agents? That's how we got in this mess, having to get free agents because Howie can't draft, yet you guys want to get him more picks... 

Also why do people keep saying Cox slowed down some this past year?? He had better numbers this past year then the year before... 

1 hour ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

My numbers were already checked by someone else and yours are also wrong and  I still say no. Cause that pushes 13 million in dead cap to next season. If they don't stop pushing money to next year we won't have any money for 2022 either. 

I also have no desire to spend a lot on free agents in a year already knowing we won't be competing . 

Also why would you want more money for free agents? That's how we got in this mess, having to get free agents because Howie can't draft, yet you guys want to get him more picks... 

Also why do people keep saying Cox slowed down some this past year?? He had better numbers this past year then the year before... 

1) I am getting my numbers from Overthecap.

2) The idea of trading Cox is Argumentative..But my reasons are First:) get some future draft picks for him. Second:)Helps our cap situation. Third:)COX is 30. He will not get any younger any time soon and right now we could get the most value for him. Four:) We do not need a player of COX level on the rebuilding team. Five:) He takes an enormous amount of salary and for the same price..you could have options. 

Love the guy..But every player has a certain price..and when the price exceeds the contribution level..then you need to make an Executive decision. Maybe we are not there yet..and maybe we are.

12 minutes ago, Traveler Vic said:

1) I am getting my numbers from Overthecap.

2) The idea of trading Cox is Argumentative..But my reasons are First:) get some future draft picks for him. Second:)Helps our cap situation. Third:)COX is 30. He will not get any younger any time soon and right now we could get the most value for him. Four:) We do not need a player of COX level on the rebuilding team. Five:) He takes an enormous amount of salary and for the same price..you could have options. 

Love the guy..But every player has a certain price..and when the price exceeds the contribution level..then you need to make an Executive decision. Maybe we are not there yet..and maybe we are.

Helps our cap situation a little bit in a year we don't need to make any big acusitions and adds more dead cap to next year when we might be looking to make moves cause we have a better idea of where we are with the talent we have this year.  Screwing up our future years for a few million this year is not the best idea. Moving Cox will save us a lot more money after next season

• Like 1

On 5/7/2021 at 6:55 AM, Bwestbrook36 said:

something that doesn't compute though...in his first PC..Nick said he loves to use TEs for protection, matchups etc....yet right now all we have is Goddert..and a disgruntled Ertz...I would have thought that they would have drafted a TE higher...maybe they are waiting for June 1...who knows...

38 minutes ago, flyerdog said:

something that doesn't compute though...in his first PC..Nick said he loves to use TEs for protection, matchups etc....yet right now all we have is Goddert..and a disgruntled Ertz...I would have thought that they would have drafted a TE higher...maybe they are waiting for June 1...who knows...

Actually didn't think about that. You are right though they will have to do something if that is something nick says he looks for