ROUND 5 (#150): Eagles select Kenneth Gainwell (Memphis RB)

Moderator6

Dude is definitely intriguing.

Love this pick. He's explosive. Excellent receiver.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, John Blutarski said:

Love this pick. He's explosive. Excellent receiver.

He's definitely dual threat in that sense. He's not just a RB who can line up in the slot.

• Like 1

Seems like a fantasy deep-sleeper that I'll be digging on.

On 5/1/2021 at 2:48 PM, Bwestbrook36 said:

To bad we lost the coach and his rotation to make it work. 

😬😛

Not sure if you're being sarcastic but we all know Duece would pull him for the rest of the game after a few good 10-15 yard runs

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I'm lukewarm on this pick. I feel like the Eagles have been trying to replace Sproles for years and this screams as a Sproles replacement pick. Hopefully he can actually develop into something like Sproles.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, jsdarkstar said:

Did you really think Howie was going to fill all of the holes in this draft? Next year is part of the plan as well.

Go Wentz!!

1 hour ago, Devaster said:

I'm lukewarm on this pick. I feel like the Eagles have been trying to replace Sproles for years and this screams as a Sproles replacement pick. Hopefully he can actually develop into something like Sproles.

He’s going to remind a lot of people of Westbrook more than Sproles. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Outlaw said:

No one will ever be me

• Haha 6

On 5/1/2021 at 4:05 PM, Portyansky said:

How did this kid fall so far?

A lot of kids got punished for opting out.

• Like 1

On 5/1/2021 at 9:11 PM, eggs said:

Stop the madness. We have the worst DBs in the league so will need to score 40 points a ga,e to beat anyone. Howie is a clown. 

So you wanted DB with all 9 picks?  You don’t see the value of getting a 4th round rated dual threat RB in the 5th round?

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Outlaw said:

Was just going to say that. I would've liked this pick in the 3rd or 4th. 5th is tremendous value.

• Like 3

Gainwell grew up an Eagles fan? Sweet.

• Like 1

Tons of national media are already calling him a steal:

942F37B3-9B70-448F-9581-4EA5B439C61D.png

• Like 1

On 5/2/2021 at 8:17 PM, Devaster said:

That project's done - they got Scott.  Even got him from the same team. 

Gainwell's hitting me as a less explosive, but similar skillset to Sanders.  Which is exactly what we needed.   Howard can stick around as the power back and we can rotate Sanders/Gainwell/Scott as needed.

1 hour ago, hukdonfoniks said:

That project's done - they got Scott.  Even got him from the same team. 

Gainwell's hitting me as a less explosive, but similar skillset to Sanders.  Which is exactly what we needed.   Howard can stick around as the power back and we can rotate Sanders/Gainwell/Scott as needed.

I wouldn’t call him less explosive per se. He is definitely a better receiver than Miles out of the backfield. Both explosive but one with home run runs and one from mismatch exploitation on receiving downs. They’re going to be fun to watch this year on offense. Defense…could be really rough. 

2 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

I wouldn’t call him less explosive per se. He is definitely a better receiver than Miles out of the backfield. Both explosive but one with home run runs and one from mismatch exploitation on receiving downs. They’re going to be fun to watch this year on offense. Defense…could be really rough. 

I don't think the defense will be as bad as some think. I mostly just say that because the line is still pretty strong and could be even a little better with some of the draft picks.

That should help the rest of the defense with a strong line and hopefully a few pieces at linebacker or secondary turn into something. 

• Like 1

On 5/1/2021 at 2:11 PM, Mike030270 said:

Sanders replacement

Close, when Sanders needs a breather, putting in Gainwell will be like replacing Sanders with Sanders.

This shows a massive lack of knowledge concerning the RB rotation, you want contrasting styles with your RBs, the Eagles should have targeted the biggest good runner available for whatever round they chose a RB, Gainwell has the same skillset as Sanders and they're pretty much the same size with Sanders being a little bigger.  

55 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

I don't think the defense will be as bad as some think. I mostly just say that because the line is still pretty strong and could be even a little better with some of the draft picks.

That should help the rest of the defense with a strong line and hopefully a few pieces at linebacker or secondary turn into something. 

I’m only really worried about CB2 and S2. The line and LBers I think will be better than last year. Here’s my projected roster with 1 open spot where I think they could still add a body and camp battles by using / marks:

QB (2)- Hurts, Flacco (Newman PS)

RB (4)- Sanders, Gainwell, Scott, Howard/Holyfield (Howard wins it)

WR (6)- Smith, Reagor, Ward, Watkins, Hightower/Grimes (think Hightower’s speed wins out, Grimes to PS), Fulgham/JJAW (Fulgham wins it, buh bye JJAW)

TE (3)- Ertz, Goedert, Butler/Croom/Wilson (Croom wins it, Butler to PS)

OL (9)- Dillard, Mailata, Lane, Kelce, Pryor, Seumalo, Toth, Herbig, Driscoll

DL (9)- Graham, Cox, Hargrave, Barnett, Reddick, M Williams, Jackson, Sweat, Tuipulotu/McGill/R Williams (rookie wins it IMO)

LB (6)- Wilson, Singleton, Edwards, Taylor, best 2 of Avery/Bradley/Bachie/Stevens/P Johnson (I think Stevens and Avery, P Johnson to PS)

CB (6)- Slay, OPEN, McPhearson, Maddox, 2 more of the scrubs- Hill/Houston/Jacquet/James/Seymour/Taylor

S (5)- Harris, Wallace, Adams, Epps, Arnold

ST (3)- Elliott, Siposs, Lovato

PUP (3)- Brooks (if no PUP bye Pryor), McLeod (if no PUP bye Epps/Arnold), Dickerson (if no PUP, bye Pryor)

10 minutes ago, EagleVA said:

Close, when Sanders needs a breather, putting in Gainwell will be like replacing Sanders with Sanders.

This shows a massive lack of knowledge concerning the RB rotation, you want contrasting styles with your RBs, the Eagles should have targeted the biggest good runner available for whatever round they chose a RB, Gainwell has the same skillset as Sanders and they're pretty much the same size with Sanders being a little bigger.  

On 5/1/2021 at 2:17 PM, Mike030270 said:

I honestly was joking. I have no clue about this prospect lol

Though if he stays healthy he'll have an edge

13 minutes ago, EagleVA said:

My lord you’re obsessed with the big back. We have two that will battle it out in camp…Howard and Holyfield. Or they’ll grab someone better off the scrap heap. And they do not have the same skillset. Gainwell is your 3rd down back. He catches better than a lot of WRs that were drafted this year. 

7 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

I’m only really worried about CB2 and S2. The line and LBers I think will be better than last year. Here’s my projected roster with 1 open spot where I think they could still add a body and camp battles by using / marks:

QB (2)- Hurts, Flacco (Newman PS)

RB (4)- Sanders, Gainwell, Scott, Howard/Holyfield (Howard wins it)

WR (6)- Smith, Reagor, Ward, Watkins, Hightower/Grimes (think Hightower’s speed wins out, Grimes to PS), Fulgham/JJAW (Fulgham wins it, buh bye JJAW)

TE (3)- Ertz, Goedert, Butler/Croom/Wilson (Croom wins it, Butler to PS)

OL (9)- Dillard, Mailata, Lane, Kelce, Pryor, Seumalo, Toth, Herbig, Driscoll

DL (9)- Graham, Cox, Hargrave, Barnett, Reddick, M Williams, Jackson, Sweat, Tuipulotu/McGill/R Williams (rookie wins it IMO)

LB (6)- Wilson, Singleton, Taylor, Edwards, best 2 of Avery/Bradley/Bachie/Stevens/P Johnson (I think Stevens and Avery, P Johnson to PS)

CB (6)- Slay, OPEN, McPhearson, Maddox, 2 more of the scrubs- Hill/Houston/Jacquet/James/Seymour/Taylor

S (5)- Harris, Wallace, Adams, Epps, Arnold

ST (3)- Elliott, Siposs, Lovato

PUP (3)- Brooks, McLeod, Dickerson

Brooks won't be starting on the PUP.  The possibility was there for him to return end of year of the team wasn't such a disaster.  He will be 100% to go by training camp which will be over 1 year from his injury.  

Just now, RememberTheKoy said:

Brooks won't be starting on the PUP.  The possibility was there for him to return end of year of the team wasn't such a disaster.  He will be 100% to go by training camp which will be over 1 year from his injury.  

Even better. Bye Pryor.