ROUND 5 (#150): Eagles select Kenneth Gainwell (Memphis RB)

Moderator6

1 minute ago, Outlaw said:

Smith and Gainwell IMO are the amazing 2. This offense is going to be fun to watch. 

I knew that's who you meant, and I agree they are the 2 best picks they made.  Getting that talent of RB in the 5th is great.  I am just hesitant with the "amazing" term I guess.  Ha.  Excited to see him paired with Sanders, plus a QB with great running ability.  The offense could be fun to watch.  Smith is a versatile weapon and that will open things up for Reagor, Goedert (Ertz?) and the others.  So this will come down to the new coaches if they are up to the task and can make it work.

21 minutes ago, NOTW said:

Oh I agree, I'm just explaining why I think they drafted so much offense.

They haven't drafted a 1st round corner in 20 years!  They haven't drafted a defensive player in rounds 1 or 2 for 4 years.  Only twice (last 2 years) in 4 years have they drafted defense in the 3rd round.  Davion Taylor next year who is probably a bust, and a backup DT this year who may develop we'll see.  

They have no LBs, crappy secondary except free agents and trades and 3 of their 4 defensive linemen were: 2 Andy Reid picks and a Steelers free agent. Malik Jackson was also a free agent.  At least they drafted Barnett.  

They have really failed the defense in the draft though.

And yet they have won the 7th most games in the NFL that 20 year timespan, been to 6 NFC Championship games, 2 Super bowls and won one.   I thought the general rule is it takes time to rebuild an offense but then its good for a longer timeframe, while a defense can be fixed much more quickly but needs to be retooled more frequently.

• Like 1

I like this RB selection. Good pick.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, NOTW said:

I knew that's who you meant, and I agree they are the 2 best picks they made.  Getting that talent of RB in the 5th is great.  I am just hesitant with the "amazing" term I guess.  Ha.  Excited to see him paired with Sanders, plus a QB with great running ability.  The offense could be fun to watch.  Smith is a versatile weapon and that will open things up for Reagor, Goedert (Ertz?) and the others.  So this will come down to the new coaches if they are up to the task and can make it work.

I agree. Scheme and coaching are huge. We have a young nucleus on offense, even more so if we trade Ertz. I want to see what we have in Reagor, Hightower, Watkins and even JJaw this offseason and preseason. 

56 minutes ago, NOTW said:

If an Austin Powers script writer were naming a RB character: Gainwell.  

Round 6: a QB named Throwgood.

More likely to be Notwell and Throwup.

He was an Eagles Fan. From Same city as Cox. He admired Darren Sproles and emulates his game.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

I agree. Scheme and coaching are huge. We have a young nucleus on offense, even more so if we trade Ertz. I want to see what we have in Reagor, Hightower, Watkins and even JJaw this offseason and preseason. 

You typically don't get much out of the 3rd-6th WRs unless they have to play due to injury.  So I'm expecting of the receiving options you're looking at Smith, Goedert, Ertz, Reagor as the top receivers.  Anyone else will get a catch or 2 a game.  Even the RBs getting some catches.  I see the WRs as Smith, Reagor, Ward, Fulgham, Hightower...JJAW or Watkins will be battling for the last roster spot.

He takes some shots because he runs downhill pretty aggressively, but I don’t see where he struggles running the ball from the backfield.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, NOTW said:

You typically don't get much out of the 3rd-6th WRs unless they have to play due to injury.  So I'm expecting of the receiving options you're looking at Smith, Goedert, Ertz, Reagor as the top receivers.  Anyone else will get a catch or 2 a game.  Even the RBs getting some catches.  I see the WRs as Smith, Reagor, Ward, Fulgham, Hightower...JJAW or Watkins will be battling for the last roster spot.

I think we keep 4 RB, 6 WR. 

Sanders, Howard, Gainwell, Open Comp

Smith, Reagor, Ward, Fulgham, Hightower, Open Comp

• Like 1

Seems like Gainwell could carry the load if Sanders were injured a couple games, better than relying on Boston Scott.  Not knocking Scott, he gives 100% and makes plays and I like him he's just not a #2.  If Sanders does get hurt and you have Gainwell and Scott with Howard in the mix that's doable. 

• Like 5

40 minutes ago, opa-opa said:

So looks like so far we have 2 great picks, 2 so-so picks, and 1 bad pick. What would the grade for the draft be so far? Maybe B-?

We have no idea what the future will be for any of these kids. No such thing as a sure thing in the NFL. I cannot stand hearing the term 'Draft Grade' and the saying 'Won the draft'.

8 minutes ago, MidMoFo said:

He takes some shots because he runs downhill pretty aggressively, but I don’t see where he struggles running the ball from the backfield.

He was dominant in his Conference. Gotta like this kid. 

I hope he gains well if called upon.

1 hour ago, NOTW said:

Yes and I like getting a young RB to develop and mix in with Sanders.  Boston Scott has given a lot of hard work and doing his best but he's not a #2 back.  Having this kid mixed in with them and Howard (if they keep all 4?) is a good RB room.

To bad we lost the coach and his rotation to make it work. 

😬😛

15 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

😬😛

These new coaches love talkin ball, playing games like rock-paper-scissors and getting their ideas from Nick's brother who coaches HS football.  They're very excited!

• Haha 3

I like it. Need the RB depth was hoping for Stevenson a more power type back but this will do. The one year I don't make a IWTETG post for a Memphis RB we finally get one lmao.

11 minutes ago, NOTW said:

These new coaches love talkin ball, playing games like rock-paper-scissors and getting their ideas from Nick's brother who coaches HS football.  They're very excited!

Stop picking on him!

1 minute ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Stop picking on him!

He makes it too easy.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Outlaw said:

Sanders, Scott, Gainwell, Open Comp

Fixed your post. Not sure Howard is a lock given his pedestrian look the last 2 years.

Just now, judunno said:

Fixed your post. Not sure Howard is a lock given his pedestrian look the last 2 years.

I think he's a lock at this point unless they sign a more physical back at some point. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

😬😛

A RB that can be split out with receiver like ability... sounding like BWest type skills. Does he return punts?

1 minute ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I think he's a lock at this point unless they sign a more physical back at some point. 

Nah. He has to show something. He has been 1 yard and a cloud of dust the last two years. May have worn out the tread on his tires already. Had a lot of mileage his first few years

4 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

They typically bring in UDFA running backs as well so we'll see.  

1 hour ago, Outlaw said:

Sanders, Howard, Gainwell, Open Comp

Reagor takes the cover off the top, Smith and Goedert exploit the middle, Gainwell underneath against a LB. I think I like it. The More I watch his tape, the more I really like this kid. Dual threat.

• Like 1