ROUND 5 (#150): Eagles select Kenneth Gainwell (Memphis RB)

Moderator6

54 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

I wouldn’t call him less explosive per se. He is definitely a better receiver than Miles out of the backfield. Both explosive but one with home run runs and one from mismatch exploitation on receiving downs. They’re going to be fun to watch this year on offense. Defense…could be really rough. 

I do think they’ll add another CB.  But no doubt they’re banking on a lot of "ifs” on defense. If last year’s 3rd rd pick (Taylor) can take that next step and factor in to the defensive plans.  If Wallace can do the same at safety.  If Sweat and Barnett can take their game to the next level.  If the scheme Gannon installs fits the players currently on the roster.  Sure is going to be fun watching this year to find out.  

38 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

I’m only really worried about CB2 and S2. The line and LBers I think will be better than last year. Here’s my projected roster with 1 open spot where I think they could still add a body and camp battles by using / marks:

QB (2)- Hurts, Flacco (Newman PS)

RB (4)- Sanders, Gainwell, Scott, Howard/Holyfield (Howard wins it)

WR (6)- Smith, Reagor, Ward, Watkins, Hightower/Grimes (think Hightower’s speed wins out, Grimes to PS), Fulgham/JJAW (Fulgham wins it, buh bye JJAW)

TE (3)- Ertz, Goedert, Butler/Croom/Wilson (Croom wins it, Butler to PS)

OL (9)- Dillard, Mailata, Lane, Kelce, Pryor, Seumalo, Toth, Herbig, Driscoll

DL (9)- Graham, Cox, Hargrave, Barnett, Reddick, M Williams, Jackson, Sweat, Tuipulotu/McGill/R Williams (rookie wins it IMO)

LB (6)- Wilson, Singleton, Edwards, Taylor, best 2 of Avery/Bradley/Bachie/Stevens/P Johnson (I think Stevens and Avery, P Johnson to PS)

CB (6)- Slay, OPEN, McPhearson, Maddox, 2 more of the scrubs- Hill/Houston/Jacquet/James/Seymour/Taylor

S (5)- Harris, Wallace, Adams, Epps, Arnold

ST (3)- Elliott, Siposs, Lovato

PUP (3)- Brooks (if no PUP bye Pryor), McLeod (if no PUP bye Epps/Arnold), Dickerson (if no PUP, bye Pryor)

I would say this projected roster is spot on. Hopefully a few surprises happen, in the way that a young guy develops faster then expected and bumps someone down the depth chart. I think a position that could happen is WR ( not smith) but Reagor on down. I don't expect Reagor to slide down the depth chart but, I hope we see some guys challenge him a bit. 

Not knowing the coaching staff we don't know how they fell about giving a younger guy a shot over an established vet . With all the coaches being so young I'm hoping that is the case that we don't see a young players development get stalled for old guys that need to be replaced. Not like the BS we saw the last few years and their loyalty to old junk. 

With that being said I hope someone like Mcpherson gets a chance to be the cb2. Not a " he played well but we have this 40 yr old that's been around for awhile" type nonsense lol. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

My lord you’re obsessed with the big back. 

No, I'm obsessed with versality at the position.

25 minutes ago, EagleVA said:

No, I'm obsessed with versality at the position.

And you’ll have it. Sanders is your primary, Howard/Holyfield your short yardage, Gainwell our 3rd down receiving back/injury replacement for Miles and Scott your change of pace guy. 

2 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

And you’ll have it. Sanders is your primary, Howard/Holyfield your short yardage, Gainwell our 3rd down receiving back/injury replacement for Miles and Scott your change of pace guy. 

I’ve been convinced for a long time, he likes to argue just to be a contrarian. It’s where all his nutjob beliefs come from. 

22 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

The only back on your list worth a damn is Sanders, next in line would be Holyfield, Howard is downright awful.

33 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

I’ve been convinced for a long time, he likes to argue just to be a contrarian. It’s where all his nutjob beliefs come from. 

No he just thinks he knows better than everyone...which we all know as an idea, kind of falls well, flat.

9 minutes ago, EagleVA said:

The only back on your list worth a damn is Sanders, next in line would be Holyfield, Howard is downright awful.

Lol, clearly someone who has not seen ONE minute of Gainwell playing.  Scott I agree they can upgrade from.  And sorry, there's no difference between Holyfield and Howard's pedestrian stats the last year or two.  At least Howard can reference a shoulder injury as an excuse.  The guy was 3rd in rushing for a couple years not that long ago.  Holyfield is a JAG.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/1/2021 at 11:10 AM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I'm sure this is the guy I heard about a day or two before the draft? Meant to be as explosive as the previous two from Memphis.

Come on Dude! LOL. I started preparing for the draft 2 months ahead..And You never heard of him? LOL

(I know you and some other were worried about my negativity. So here is my assessment)

2019 he rushed for over 1,400 yards, over 600 yards receiving. 4.44 40 speed.

The negative ...He opted out of 2020 and started gaining weight. Went from 190lbs to 200+. I am sure10+Lbs can be whipped into shape.

Summary!!! Awesome Value!!! Great Pick UP!!! Excellent receiving skills! I am excited about him being an Eagle!!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Traveler Vic said:

Summary!!! Awesome Value!!! Great Pick UP!!! Excellent receiving skills! I am excited about him being an Eagle!!!

I think that's how a lot of fans feel. He's an exciting addition to his offense and with Sirianni we do expect him to really use Gainwell in a rotation. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, EagleVA said:

Holyfield probably won't even make the team. Howard has to show he has some gas left I agree.

I HATE this pick...the guy has no injury history...WTF was Howie thinking??????

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, judunno said:

Holyfield probably won't even make the team. Howard has to show he has some gas left I agree.

The problem with Howard is he's just not a good runner, gas or no gas........poor vision.

11 minutes ago, EagleVA said:

The problem with Howard is he's just not a good runner, gas or no gas........poor vision.

I disagree there. He was a pretty effective runner until the shoulder injury it seems. Since then it's been down hill. You can't say a guy who avgd 4 yards a carry is not a good runner (5 in his best year). He's a physical volume type running back and just seems like he's breaking down. What I don't like about him is that his receiving ability isn't the greatest so when he's in we're showing our hand.

3 hours ago, flyerdog said:

I HATE this pick...the guy has no injury history...WTF was Howie thinking??????

No worries our training staff will get right on it!

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, hukdonfoniks said:

That project's done - they got Scott.  Even got him from the same team. 

Gainwell's hitting me as a less explosive, but similar skillset to Sanders.  Which is exactly what we needed.   Howard can stick around as the power back and we can rotate Sanders/Gainwell/Scott as needed.

The big thing with Gainwell is he’s a RB that can catch and run routes like a WR. He’s like Brian Westbrook in that way.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, vaff said:

The big thing with Gainwell is he’s a RB that can catch and run routes like a WR. He’s like Brian Westbrook in that way.

I heard a comp to Kamara in terms of how good he is at catching the ball...

14 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I heard a comp to Kamara in terms of how good he is at catching the ball...

Greg Cosell compared him to Kamara in that sense. But made sure to point out he’s obviously not as gifted as Kamara.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, vaff said:

Greg Cosell compared him to Kamara in that sense. But made sure to point out he’s obviously not as gifted as Kamara.

No and that's fine I'm just saying. And actually coming out of college I'm not sure Kamara was seen as this hugely gifted RB? He's just been damn good in the NFL. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

No and that's fine I'm just saying. And actually coming out of college I'm not sure Kamara was seen as this hugely gifted RB? He's just been damn good in the NFL. 

I never watched him in college. But I do remember watching videos of him prior to that draft and being impressed.

23 hours ago, EagleVA said:

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again…with statements like that I know for a fact you have not watched even one quarter of one Memphis game with Gainwell playing. He’s extremely nimble…you’ll never catch him FLATfooted and I don’t believe there’s anyone on EARTH who shares your opinion that he isn’t "worth a damn.”

• Like 1

I honestly can't believe this kid slipped so far. It seems the only one who wasn't really affected by the opt out was Chase. If he is able to transition his skill into the NFL level, he will be a stud! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Portyansky said:

I honestly can't believe this kid slipped so far. It seems the only one who wasn't really affected by the opt out was Chase. If he is able to transition his skill into the NFL level, he will be a stud! 

I think a lot of analysts think we've gotten an absolute steal with Gainwell. 

His 2019 season was very impressive - over 2000 scrimmage yards and 16 TDs.

If he had a similar 2020 season he's probably a second round pick.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rrfierce said:

His 2019 season was very impressive - over 2000 scrimmage yards and 16 TDs.

If he had a similar 2020 season he's probably a second round pick.

And I don't think the year out is going to be too devastating? I mean in fact for a RB that's probably a good thing. 

13 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

And I don't think the year out is going to be too devastating? I mean in fact for a RB that's probably a good thing. 

Yeah, the only reason it hurt him is because he only had one year of production, I think. So maybe teams worry it was a flash in the pan.

I have no issue with players sitting out last year, regardless. But in this guy’s case, even moreso, as apparently he had four family members die of covid.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, vaff said:

Yeah, the only reason it hurt him is because he only had one year of production, I think. So maybe teams worry it was a flash in the pan.

I have no issue with players sitting out last year, regardless. But in this guy’s case, even moreso, as apparently he had four family members die of covid.

That's heart breaking. Pisses me off that we didn't do better with this damn pandemic.

• Like 1