ROUND 5 (#150): Eagles select Kenneth Gainwell (Memphis RB)

Moderator6

1 minute ago, MidMoFo said:

So it was Fletch that had a stroke? 😥

While he was banging that guys wife. He just kept at it.

2 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

I agree with that assessment. This kid is a versatile weapon, can even line up in the slot or run some wildcat with him. 

Seems like a guy that really fits Nick Sirianni’s philosophy of getting it to your playmakers within 5-10 yards, and let them create after the catch.

• Like 1

Like this one 

4 minutes ago, NOTW said:

Reports earlier in the offseason were Lurie wanted to build around Hurts to give him the weapons he needs and see if he's the long-term answer or not.  Lurie loves offense and wants to put up points.  They haven't invested enough in defense over the years and relied on trades and free agents, the guys they draft are mostly late round scrubs.

Hopefully with a lot of early picks next year including 3 in the 1st round, they take a defensive player in the 1st round.

6 minutes ago, Infam said:

We couldn't fill all holes, so we focus on the offense and Hurts.

Four picks in the first two rounds next year will be all about defense.

I hear you but my concern is that Hurts will struggle if the D isn’t getting stops, like he did against Dallas. Don’t want him constantly chasing the game.

Analysts are loving this pick.  

Played QB in HS, they seem to have a bunch of former QBs...to add to the factory!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, vaff said:

Seems like a guy that really fits Nick Sirianni’s philosophy of getting it to your playmakers within 5-10 yards, and let them create after the catch.

It's WCO philosophy too: Every RB and TE should be able to catch it and run routes.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, vaff said:

His YAC skills are bananas. He’s going to play a huge role on this team. His versatility to split out to the slot is going to give us some really cool pre-snap ability to confuse defenses. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ManchesterEagle said:

I hear you but my concern is that Hurts will struggle if the D isn’t getting stops, like he did against Dallas. Don’t want him constantly chasing the game.

If Hurts and the offense look good, we are in excellent shape for 2022.

3 minutes ago, ManchesterEagle said:

Psychologically, I can see why that's tough, but that's where the coaches really need to stress to Hurts to just play his game.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, ManchesterEagle said:

Our 6th round corner - Getburned

He’d fit right in. 😂

Good pick looks very useful. Not sure why he was still there if he’s that good though 

So looks like so far we have 2 great picks, 2 so-so picks, and 1 bad pick. What would the grade for the draft be so far? Maybe B-?

Just now, rrfierce said:

Good pick looks very useful. Not sure why he was still there if he’s that good though 

He is a RB that needs to learn quite a bit to run the ball. So that's going to scare some teams.

Now if you think he can improve there, he already is a decent receiver that can run routes, so that is something many RBs will never bring to the table.

4 hours ago, ManchesterEagle said:

Oh I agree, I'm just explaining why I think they drafted so much offense.

They haven't drafted a 1st round corner in 20 years!  They haven't drafted a defensive player in rounds 1 or 2 for 4 years.  Only twice (last 2 years) in 4 years have they drafted defense in the 3rd round.  Davion Taylor last year who is probably a bust, and a backup DT this year who may develop we'll see.  

They have no LBs, crappy secondary except free agents and trades and 3 of their 4 defensive linemen were: 2 Andy Reid picks and a Steelers free agent. Malik Jackson was also a free agent.  At least they drafted Barnett.  

They have really failed the defense in the draft though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, opa-opa said:

So looks like so far we have 2 great picks, 2 so-so picks, and 1 bad pick. What would the grade for the draft be so far? Maybe B-?

I say 2 amazing picks, 1 risky pick with high upside, and 2 good picks. Have an A- in my book so far. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Infam said:

If Hurts and the offense look good, we are in excellent shape for 2022.

We need hit it on on more defensive picks. Need a Second LB. Need Safety pick. Need some De prospects.

3 minutes ago, NOTW said:

Oh I agree, I'm just explaining why I think they drafted so much offense.

They haven't drafted a 1st round corner in 20 years!  They haven't drafted a defensive player in rounds 1 or 2 for 4 years.  Only twice (last 2 years) in 4 years have they drafted defense in the 3rd round.  Davion Taylor next year who is probably a bust, and a backup DT this year who may develop we'll see.  

They have no LBs, crappy secondary except free agents and trades and 3 of their 4 defensive linemen were: 2 Andy Reid picks and a Steelers free agent. Malik Jackson was also a free agent.  At least they drafted Barnett.  

They have really failed the defense in the draft though.

I know we are on the same page.

It’s the Dickerson pick that really got to me though.

Smith was the right pick in the first but then they needed to go D and I know he has great potential, but with that many serious injuries, I just don’t like it at all. Should have added some top level talent on the D

11 minutes ago, Infam said:

He is a RB that needs to learn quite a bit to run the ball. So that's going to scare some teams.

Now if you think he can improve there, he already is a decent receiver that can run routes, so that is something many RBs will never bring to the table.

So he’s a gadget player 

7 minutes ago, Traveler Vic said:

We need hit it on on more defensive picks. Need a Second LB. Need Safety pick. Need some De prospects.

I feel we will grab another CB, a S, a LB and a developmental QB today. 

• Like 1

Just now, rrfierce said:

So he’s a gadget player 

With the potential to be a modern NFL weapon, yeah.

2 minutes ago, rrfierce said:

So he’s a gadget player 

He’s a RB who happens to have the versatility to split out to the slot and be a better slot WR than what we have on our roster. He can run. He breaks tackles, is quick to hit the hole and there is even video of him making Micah Parsons his **** on a pass block. This was nothing short of an amazing pick at 150. 

19 minutes ago, opa-opa said:

14 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

I say 2 amazing picks, 1 risky pick with high upside, and 2 good picks. Have an A- in my book so far. 

I agree on the 2 good picks (I don't know if I'd say amazing) and the 1 risky pick with upside.  Had they taken that kind of upside guy in the 3rd and in the 2nd got a good corner I think it would have been received a little better.  We just did that 4 years ago with Sidney Jones and that didn't work out.  Let's hope Dickerson is not always on IR.

I don't follow college and I never know much about the guys on day 3 especially.  But initial reaction Gainwell seems like a great pick, but Zech they say is a project and rolling the dice.  My guess is he will be cut in a couple years.  Williams is a decent pick, we'll see how he develops.  If he becomes a starter that's a great pick.

• Like 1

Just now, NOTW said:

I agree on the 2 good picks (I don't know if I'd say amazing) and the 1 risky pick with upside.  Had they taken that kind of upside guy in the 3rd and in the 2nd got a good corner I think it would have been received a little better.  We just did that 4 years ago with Sidney Jones and that didn't work out.  Let's hope Dickerson is not always on IR.

I don't follow college and I never know much about the guys on day 3 especially.  But initial reaction Gainwell seems like a great pick, but Zech they say is a project and rolling the dice.  My guess is he will be cut in a couple years.  Williams is a decent pick, we'll see how he develops.  If he becomes a starter that's a great pick.

Smith and Gainwell IMO are the amazing 2. This offense is going to be fun to watch. 

Let's hope Gainwell does this 2 times a year vs the Cowboys :flex:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, NOTW said:

Let's hope Gainwell does this 2 times a year vs the Cowboys :flex:

My favorite part of his highlight reel.