EMB Blog: Once AGAIN. Politics to CVON!!!!!

4for4EaglesNest

9 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

I laughed. 

Disclaimer- Not saying people should still be flying the Confederate Flag.  Just looking at the situation and trying to understand why it's so important to some.  A lot of country boys here in South Central PA fly them for the wrong reasons and I don't agree with that one bit.  I've never owned one outside of the General Lee when I was a kid.

HIs explanation wasn't as clear and thought out as Drew Brees but I give him credit for standing up for what he believes in.  When I was a kid (80s child here) I loved the Dukes of Hazzard.  I thought the Confederate Flag looked so cool, I loved the design.  As a kid I had no idea the ramifications behind the flag, I just liked how it looked.  In my defense I also thought Pontiac Fieros looked cool.  I've always liked the tune of Dixie and I have no relation to anyone in the south, I just always loved hearing Ole Miss play it after a TD and hearing the crowd go crazy.  Sometimes you just like how things look and sound.  For that matter I even own some NWA albums.  

I think to many in the south it means so much to them and their families.  There are a lot of southerners who to no fault of their own have relatives who fought for the Confederates.   Southern pride is real and it runs deep.  I don't think it's racist, it's being proud of where you come from.  It's almost like being from the south is their Alma Mater (insert southern bumpkin joke if you want).  They aren't running around hating on black people, segregating bathrooms or any of that nonsense.  They are just being proud southerners.  Doesn't mean they hate America either.  

The flipside is that you do have Alt-Right groups who DO hate and wave that flag because of what it means. 

I think we owe southern people the same opportunity to understand why they have so much pride in that flag as we do trying to understand anyone else.  Our nation is made up of so many different kinds of people who have many different beliefs.  That's what makes America great.  We are a melting pot of so many cultures.  I wish we could respect all for what they believe in.  It's not our job to change those beliefs either, it's our job to accept that our neighbors might not be like us.

• Replies 27.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Asg 15 said:

Those who forget their history are condemned to repeat it.” This sentence, often attributed to the philosopher George Santayana, is actually a misquotation of his comment, "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.”

If these monuments are removed that's exactly what will happen

It may make someone feel good for a short period of time but in the long run it is counterproductive.

That's why you teach history.

Monuments are social approval of people and behavior, taking them down signifies removal of that approval.

Imagine the German Republic building hundreds of monuments to NSDAP generals?

The South rebelled to preserve the institution of slavery (states' rights is a myth, the Fugitive Slave Act, upheld in the Dred Scott decision, trampled Northern States' rights by forcing them to be co-conspirators in preserving slavery). While in 1787 slavery was universal, but 1861 slavery had been eliminated in most of the world (and what Americans would have considered the "civilized world"), and was generally considered to be an evil institution. The South's insistence on preserving slavery instead of working out a compromise to eliminate it is what led to the Civil War.

53 minutes ago, Asg 15 said:

I can't even grow onions

Onions aren't the easiest to grow.  Tomatoes are almost impossible to mess up, as long as you have calcium in the soil.  Lettuces, basil, kale, beets...  these are almost impossible to have issues with.  Lettuce just needs to be picked before going to seed, it hates hot weather.  

1 minute ago, austinfan said:

That's why you teach history.

Monuments are social approval of people and behavior, taking them down signifies removal of that approval.

Imagine the German Republic building hundreds of monuments to NSDAP generals?

The South rebelled to preserve the institution of slavery (states' rights is a myth, the Fugitive Slave Act, upheld in the Dred Scott decision, trampled Northern States' rights by forcing them to be co-conspirators in preserving slavery). While in 1787 slavery was universal, but 1861 slavery had been eliminated in most of the world (and what Americans would have considered the "civilized world"), and was generally considered to be an evil institution. The South's insistence on preserving slavery instead of working out a compromise to eliminate it is what led to the Civil War.

Jesus Christ, I want people to remember the mistakes we made in the past. I don't want to repeat them. 

2 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

In other news... the wife has just green lighted this:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Char-Griller-Texas-Trio-3-Burner-Dual-Fuel-Grill-with-Smoker-in-Black-3070/302624342

char-griller-gas-charcoal-grills-3070-64

Someone tell me why I should get it... and someone else tell me why I shouldn't.     Price point is $400.

Nice

6 minutes ago, Asg 15 said:

Jesus Christ, I want people to remember the mistakes we made in the past. I don't want to repeat them. 

Then make sure they teach it correctly in high school.

Ask BigEFly about how it was taught in Texas.

Or why Gone With The Wind is a prime example of the "Southern myth."

The fact that Trump could actually schedule a rally in Tulsa on June 19th tells you all about historical amnesia.

28 minutes ago, Asg 15 said:

Yes I do believe it. if these monuments were destroyed people would eventually forget what happened 

Monuments serve as a reminder of what not to do

Do they?  Not any of the Confederate monuments I saw growing up in the South studying the War of Northern Aggression. 

4 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

In other news... the wife has just green lighted this:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Char-Griller-Texas-Trio-3-Burner-Dual-Fuel-Grill-with-Smoker-in-Black-3070/302624342

char-griller-gas-charcoal-grills-3070-64

Someone tell me why I should get it... and someone else tell me why I shouldn't.     Price point is $400.

If you're gonna do serious smoking you need a charcoal fired smoker, that looks like some unholy hybrid.

But smoking is like marriage, it's a commitment, used to do Briskets in my "red bullet", start in the morning, get through three college games, a six pack of beer (some for me, some for the water pan), checking the fire every hour and adding wood chips, but when that baby was done, good eatin'!

1 minute ago, BigEFly said:

Do they?  Not any of the Confederate monuments I saw growing up in the South studying the War of Northern Aggression. 

Maybe then you should be asking why history isn't being taught. 

1 minute ago, austinfan said:

If you're gonna do serious smoking you need a charcoal fired smoker, that looks like some unholy hybrid.

But smoking is like marriage, it's a commitment, used to do Briskets in my "red bullet", start in the morning, get through three college games, a six pack of beer (some for me, some for the water pan), checking the fire every hour and adding wood chips, but when that baby was done, good eatin'!

That is exactly what it is.  Small back yard. 

It has a charcoal side box for the heating and placing of the hardwood chips... and you put the meat you are smoking into the 'middle' chamber.  

3 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

That is exactly what it is.  Small back yard. 

It has a charcoal side box for the heating and placing of the hardwood chips... and you put the meat you are smoking into the 'middle' chamber.  

Anyone who wants to smoke meat i'll be happy tp donate oak or hickory free of charge

19 minutes ago, Asg 15 said:

Read a book. Its FUNdamental!

1 hour ago, Asg 15 said:

Those who forget their history are condemned to repeat it.” This sentence, often attributed to the philosopher George Santayana, is actually a misquotation of his comment, "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.”

If these monuments are removed that's exactly what will happen

It may make someone feel good for a short period of time but in the long run it is counterproductive.

Well, let's play this game:

1.Museums, like the Holocaust Museum can present history. 

2. Should Germany have statues and monuments to Hitler, Himmler, Goring, be displayed in state parks, capitols, schools, etc?

Should Statues of Stalin remain in the same places? 

There are other ways to remember.  

24 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Onions aren't the easiest to grow.  Tomatoes are almost impossible to mess up, as long as you have calcium in the soil.  Lettuces, basil, kale, beets...  these are almost impossible to have issues with.  Lettuce just needs to be picked before going to seed, it hates hot weather.  

Were having difficulty right now growing rosemary, not sure why its usually a weed.

Had some peas and cucumbers and beans but stupid bunnies ate them😠

3 minutes ago, Utebird said:

Read a book. Its FUNdamental!

This is pointless. If you want to repeat the mistakes of the past, so be it.

I don't. Use all the slogans you want. 

2 minutes ago, Utebird said:

Were having difficulty right now growing rosemary, not sure why its usually a weed.

Interesting. Hmmm. Of course rabbits are tasty too. My wife had me grow some mint to keep the bugs out. HUGE mistske

3 minutes ago, Utebird said:

I can't help with rosemary.  I've never really enjoyed it, so I've never grown it.  

As for bunnies... they suck.  I do put some fencing around my plants when they are young... and raising your beds, even just 6 inches seems to really help a lot with them having access.  They feel more vulnerable or something jumping up into a bed like that, or at least it seems.

1 minute ago, Asg 15 said:

Interesting. Hmmm. Of course rabbits are tasty too. My wife had me grow some mint to keep the bugs out. HUGE mistske

Mint is unbelievable.  It's almost unstoppable.

8 minutes ago, Asg 15 said:

This is pointless. If you want to repeat the mistakes of the past, so be it.

I don't. Use all the slogans you want. 

We should erect statues of mass shooters and serial killers. James holmes could get a statue by a movie theater reminding people not to shoot people at the movies. The two kids from columbine could get statues of them in front of the highschool they shot up reminding the students to not repeat history by shooting up the school

Ted bundy could get a statue in front of a prison reminding inmates not to kill women or maybe in front of a sorority house in florida to remind women not to get killed.

They could put a statue of jeffrey dahmer in front of a meat packing plant or a statue of bin laden even though he had nothing to do with it at ground zero to remind americans of 911 cuz we dont want to repeat history😕

5 minutes ago, Asg 15 said:

Lol, never had rabbit, theyre cute little buggers but annoying

1 minute ago, Utebird said:

We should erect statues of mass shooters and serial killers. James holmes could get a statue byba movie theater reminding people not to shoot people at the movies. The two kids from columbine could get statues of them in front of the highschool they shot up reminding the students to not repeat history by shooting up the school

Ted bundy could get a statue in front of a prison reminding inmates not to kill women or maybe in front of a sorority house in florida to remind women not to get killed.

They could put a statue of jeffrey dahmer in front of a meat packing plant or a statue of bin laden even though he had nothing to do with it at ground zero to remind americans of 911 cuz we dont want to repeat history😕

Lol, never had rabbit, theyre cute little buggers but annoying

really? Quire tasty. and yes a huge pain  the a**

6 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

I can't help with rosemary.  I've never really enjoyed it, so I've never grown it.  

As for bunnies... they suck.  I do put some fencing around my plants when they are young... and raising your beds, even just 6 inches seems to really help a lot with them having access.  They feel more vulnerable or something jumping up into a bed like that, or at least it seems.

My wife put plastic forks in the dirt around the plants, but some bunnies are persistent.😒

25 minutes ago, austinfan said:

Then make sure they teach it correctly in high school.

Ask BigEFly about how it was taught in Texas.

Or why Gone With The Wind is a prime example of the "Southern myth."

The fact that Trump could actually schedule a rally in Tulsa on June 19th tells you all about historical amnesia.

Sorry but that is a slap at Juneteenth.  I will be in Texas for Juneteenth but even if they have the blues festival I won’t risk the folks I am visiting health by attending even my racist father-in-law. 

2 minutes ago, Asg 15 said:

really? Quire tasty. and yes a huge pain  the a**

I grew up in utah and all they have there is big creepy jack rabbits. Every 7 years they get rabbit fever and huge numbers of them die but as rabbits do they mate like rabbits and come back even stronger but still no good for eatin. 

5 minutes ago, Utebird said:

My wife put plastic forks in the dirt around the plants, but some bunnies are persistent.😒

I've heard about that... but never bought into it working.

Meanwhile, a bit of fencing, hardware cloth, etc... and they have no shot at getting at them.

Archived