EMB Blog: 2021 Regular and Post Season

Connecticut Eagle

• Replies 75.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Bacarty2 said:

Watched a lot of football yesterday. 

Hurts looked more like Lamar then he did Dak, Mahomes, Herbert, Ben, Russ and Carr. 

Side note, he didnt look like Zach Wilson either. so

Well if you watched a lot , you would have seen Brady over throw Evans for a easy TD or under throw AB  , it happens to all QBs not just Hurts

Let's see what the outcome of these test are for Tua and Wentz. Rapport made it seem like Tua won't play next week

A few thoughts:

Reagor catching a lot of hate for stepping OB on that would be TD....as somebody who played CB growing up, that was exactly what you're taught to do. Keep the WR pinned against the sideline using your hips, and slowly push him OB if you can. It was about as perfect coverage technique as you'll see. I chalk that up more to the defender making a great play than Reagor being some bone headed idiot? There's a lot of vitriol being thrown at him in here it seems. He barely stepped out, it's not like he ran around the CB to go OB and then come back in. Tough play, hopefully he learns from it. 

The Hurts deep ball discussion is funny. The guys with an agenda clearly have no interest in any nuance, the ones who want him to fail will use yesterday as evidence "he has no arm strength". Hurts is just very inconsistent. It looks like when he drops back in a 5 step or 7 step, plants and throws in rhythm, he's got more than enough arm strength to get the ball downfield. When the play breaks down and he's scrambling and then uncorks one, he floats it. That's a problem obviously, but not sure how that gets corrected (if it even can be). Our WRs may have to adjust to running more of a comeback route on scrambles as opposed to running downfield farther (though at least 1 or 2 should be going downfield to draw defenders with them). 

We are a team that will need to ride momentum waves to be successful this year. Against good teams like San Fran, it doesn't seem like we have the ability to make up for those shifts the other way. It is what it is, and likely why we'll be a middle to lower half team this year. It's why Barnett is such a liability out there, he's like a secret player for the other team it feels like sometimes. Just a complete moron.

Finally, we really need a playmaker on defense. I'm OK that we focused on building the offense this past offseason, but we really need to focus in on getting some play makers on defense now. LB is especially weak, but I'd much rather sink our resources into the secondary (safety especially) and DE. This draft appears to have a good stock of both positions. I would love to get Kyle Hamilton in the draft, but a lot can change between now and then.

Overall I actually was impressed how we really outplayed San Fran in the first half. Just absolutely crushing to not come away with more points, and it ultimately doomed us. On to Dallas!

On Hurts'  deep balls....

The two nice throws (Watkins 91 and Reagor almost TD) appeared to be the pre-snap read.  Hurts planted his back foot and made the throw in rhythm.

The others appeared to be later in the progression and after Hurts had to move in the pocket.  Maybe more of a footwork issue.

Just now, Connecticut Eagle said:

On Hurts'  deep balls....

The two nice throws (Watkins 91 and Reagor almost TD) appeared to be the pre-snap read.  Hurts planted his back foot and made the throw in rhythm.

The others appeared to be later in the progression and after Hurts had to move in the pocket.  Maybe more of a footwork issue.

Same with the Ertz underthrow last week. It's like Hurts gets excited when not just planting and throwing, and his mechanics just go crazy. Hopefully they can fix it. 

13 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

I agree.  Yesterday was not the day to complain about his deep ball accuracy.  His vision and reluctance to work the whole field is the biggest concern.  Most pro QB's can throw a ball 50 yards in the air.  The real throws are the deep sideline passes or tight window over the middle of the field passes over 15 yards.  That's where arm talent really helps.  

Decision making is also an important component.  I'm inclined to agree with @HazletonEagle -- that series of calls down at the goal line after the 91-yard bomb looked worse because the plays weren't executed properly.  The shovel pass to Ertz probably would have been a TD, but Hurts held the ball -- not sure why.  Ertz also didn't give Hurts any target at all on the throw at the back of the end zone; he could/should have come back to the QB or spun back to the middle of the field to shake coverage. 

Just now, Bacarty2 said:

This reminds me of the "no goal, goalie interference" in hockey. 

*IF* Reagor went out of bounds(which we all know he did) it means his path was interfered with. No WR would willingly run out of bounds, it means someone/something interfered with him. 

The corner played that play exactly how you're supposed to. He did absolutely nothing illegal. It was textbook, picture perfect coverage on a 9 route. 

4 minutes ago, TorontoEagle said:

A few thoughts:

Reagor catching a lot of hate for stepping OB on that would be TD....as somebody who played CB growing up, that was exactly what you're taught to do. Keep the WR pinned against the sideline using your hips, and slowly push him OB if you can. It was about as perfect coverage technique as you'll see. I chalk that up more to the defender making a great play than Reagor being some bone headed idiot? There's a lot of vitriol being thrown at him in here it seems. He barely stepped out, it's not like he ran around the CB to go OB and then come back in. Tough play, hopefully he learns from it. 

The Hurts deep ball discussion is funny. The guys with an agenda clearly have no interest in any nuance, the ones who want him to fail will use yesterday as evidence "he has no arm strength". Hurts is just very inconsistent. It looks like when he drops back in a 5 step or 7 step, plants and throws in rhythm, he's got more than enough arm strength to get the ball downfield. When the play breaks down and he's scrambling and then uncorks one, he floats it. That's a problem obviously, but not sure how that gets corrected (if it even can be). Our WRs may have to adjust to running more of a comeback route on scrambles as opposed to running downfield farther (though at least 1 or 2 should be going downfield to draw defenders with them). 

We are a team that will need to ride momentum waves to be successful this year. Against good teams like San Fran, it doesn't seem like we have the ability to make up for those shifts the other way. It is what it is, and likely why we'll be a middle to lower half team this year. It's why Barnett is such a liability out there, he's like a secret player for the other team it feels like sometimes. Just a complete moron.

Finally, we really need a playmaker on defense. I'm OK that we focused on building the offense this past offseason, but we really need to focus in on getting some play makers on defense now. LB is especially weak, but I'd much rather sink our resources into the secondary (safety especially) and DE. This draft appears to have a good stock of both positions. I would love to get Kyle Hamilton in the draft, but a lot can change between now and then.

Overall I actually was impressed how we really outplayed San Fran in the first half. Just absolutely crushing to not come away with more points, and it ultimately doomed us. On to Dallas!

I like Hamilton but I'd rather have Stingley or Booth over him. Nelson will probably be gone and Slay is just getting older

2 minutes ago, Bacarty2 said:

275 yards and 5 touchdowns is Exactly like 187 yards and no touchdowns. 

Brady, Herbert, Mahomes, EVERY QB over throws or misses open guys, 100000% FACTS. But it's how they bounce back or how they make up for it. 

Herbert lost the game for the Chargers yesterday,

The Bucs are absolutely loaded on both sides of the ball and they brought back every single starter. The Chiefs have had the same basic group for years now and they have AR who knows exactly what hes doing and what he wants.

Nuance is absolutely the word to use, seeing a rookie HC and a bunch of young guys trying to pull it together is not even comparable to what the Bucs, Chiefs, etc. and stable teams like that are doing.

3 minutes ago, TorontoEagle said:

The corner played that play exactly how you're supposed to. He did absolutely nothing illegal. It was textbook, picture perfect coverage on a 9 route. 

NO!!  YOU'RE WRONG!

If an Eagles play fails, it has NOTHING to do with the opponent.  It's always a bad call unless a player we already hate is involved.  Then it's his fault.

1 minute ago, Godfather said:

I like Hamilton but I'd rather have Stingley or Booth over him. Nelson will probably be gone and Slay is just getting older

What if I told you....we could have both Stingley AND Hamilton? (Unlikely, but....stranger things have happened). Again, my ultimate wet dream draft scenario is we land those two plus Thibodeaux with our three firsts (a LOT of ridiculous assumptions there, I know). 

5 minutes ago, TorontoEagle said:

A few thoughts:

Of course the DB is taught to do that. Just like Reagor is taught to get upfield and fight through contact to hold the line. Instead he chose the path of least resistance, and played directly into the corner’s hands. 

Awful stuff. And he does it all the time. 

1 minute ago, Connecticut Eagle said:

NO!!  YOU'RE WRONG!

If an Eagle play fails, it has NOTHING to do with the opponent.  It's always a bad call unless a player we already hate is involved.  Then it's his fault.

It was Reagor’s fault. He allowed it to happen. It’s that simple. 

Just now, 4for4EaglesNest said:

BS.  1st and goal on the 1 and you don't try to run the ball with the running back?  That is a bad decision and bad play calling.  I'll also take NS for his word when criticizing himself.  

Yep, he made a bad series of playcalls there. It was like they got stunned that Quez didn't make it in and just didn't know what to do. Got too cute. Like when we get a shot at Bacarty's mom,  sometimes you just gotta pound it in there!

Just now, TorontoEagle said:

What if I told you....we could have both Stingley AND Hamilton? (Unlikely, but....stranger things have happened). Again, my ultimate wet dream draft scenario is we land those two plus Thibodeaux with our three firsts (a LOT of ridiculous assumptions there, I know). 

My wet dream is Stingley and Thibodeaux

24 minutes ago, Godfather said:

If Hurts plays Monday like he did yesterday, it's Mania time

Won't happen yet. For all intent and purpose he's still a rook.

22 minutes ago, Original Sin said:

Hurts isn’t the only QB around the league , over throwing or under throwing receivers , it just seems like it. , because you’re focused on him for 4 quarters . 

I don't think anyone said that he was.

3 minutes ago, Bacarty2 said:

Per Rule, thats impossible. I know your taught to play that.

But at the end of the day, something or somewhat forced Reagor out of bounds. (he's bad, but he's not run out of bounds on purpose bad). 

Sorry, what are you trying to say? That the CB should have been flagged? 

2 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

BS.  1st and goal on the 1 and you don't try to run the ball with the running back?  That is a bad decision and bad play calling.  I'll also take NS for his word when criticizing himself.  

I said at the time the 1st down call was bad.  No guarantee a run gets to the end zone; if they run the same plays from 2nd to 4th down it doesn't change the fact the players botched the execution on 2 of them -- not even including Ward's disaster on 4th down.

6 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

Decision making is also an important component.  I'm inclined to agree with @HazletonEagle -- that series of calls down at the goal line after the 91-yard bomb looked worse because the plays weren't executed properly.  The shovel pass to Ertz probably would have been a TD, but Hurts held the ball -- not sure why.  Ertz also didn't give Hurts any target at all on the throw at the back of the end zone; he could/should have come back to the QB or spun back to the middle of the field to shake coverage. 

I have no idea what Ertz was doing there.  Then again, you could say that a lot about 2020 Ertz and I hoped he came out of his little fog. Apparently not

4 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Agree, he was trying to be too cute there.

3 minutes ago, TorontoEagle said:

Yep, he made a bad series of playcalls there. It was like they got stunned that Quez didn't make it in and just didn't know what to do. Got too cute. Like when we get a shot at Bacarty's mom,  sometimes you just gotta pound it in there!

Nope

2 minutes ago, ManuManu said:

It was Reagor’s fault. He allowed it to happen. It’s that simple. 

Butterfly in China.

You're forgetting that the DB disengaged after he had ridden Reagor out of bounds.

If Reagor had fought to hold the line, the DB doesn't break off.  And Reagor is slowed down a bit and doesn't get to the ball.

At least we're not talking about the Ward throw anymore.

1 hour ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Not a good route runner, regardless of the limitations at QB. Not a polished WR.  Bad, panic pick in the 1st round.  

What's possibly worse and what I believe, it wasn't a panic pick. They actually targeted and wanted Reagor at 21. Of course if Lamb fell all the way to them that would be the obvious pick, but that wasn't realistic. Rumors leading up to the draft was we wanted Reagor, and well, we got him 😣

5 minutes ago, greend said:

Won't happen yet. For all intent and purpose he's still a rook.

I really want Hurts to succeed not only to be the franchise qb but to use these picks for other positions. This draft class is stacked. He's still showing the same problems that I saw with him in college and last season. Hopefully he can improve. San Fran d is the best defense he's played against in his career (NO last season) so hopefully he can grow from it

Archived