EMB Blog: 2021 Regular and Post Season

Connecticut Eagle

On short yardage downs inside the 3 yard line, they need to design some type of play where they put Goedert in motion and then have him set to Mailata's side and just let Mailiata bull doze a hole that the RB can run behind.

• Replies 75.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Khani1 said:

On short yardage downs inside the 3 yard line, they need to design some type of play where they put Goedert in motion and then have him set to Mailata's side and just let Mailiata bull doze a hole that the RB can run behind.

Give Mailata the ball :flex:

6 minutes ago, Connecticut Eagle said:

Butterfly in China.

You're forgetting that the DB disengaged after he had ridden Reagor out of bounds.

If Reagor had fought to hold the line, the DB doesn't break off.  And Reagor is slowed down a bit and doesn't get to the ball.

At least we're not talking about the Ward throw anymore.

All of that is beside the point. Reagor gave up leverage immediately and floated to the sideline. A big no-no. 

Reagor knows that too. Sirianni knows it and called him out for it too. The DB made a good play, and Reagor made it incredibly easy for him. 

Just now, Khani1 said:

That's not a bad idea.  Have Dillard sub in.

It'll take 3 guys to tackle him

8 minutes ago, Bacarty2 said:

Do you think Reagor ran out of bounds on purpose? 

and let me back up, no I dont think it was a penalty. But when you see the terrible calls and the ticky tacky stuff thats called all game, yes I think it should be called. 

The NFL's rule book is probably the biggest joke in all of sports. 

Uh....what? 

44 minutes ago, Bacarty2 said:

I think if the Falcons had a week worth of film on us that game would be totally different. Would the Falcons win, unsure, probably not. Would it be a blow out. NO WAY

No, the Falcon suck.  The 49ers are a good team but they were not able to do much offensively and really it was boneheaded playcalling that allowed them to walk away with a win.  Sirianni did a bad job yesterday.  It wasn't a bad match up from a talent perspective.  

1 hour ago, Original Sin said:

Maybe the eagles don’t have enough weapons to put the whole field in play 

I can consider that to likely be the case with Reagor, and maybe even Quez is just a screen or 9 route guy at this point in his career so far.

But you have 2 TEs. TEs are supposed to be a young QBs best friend. They are the safety valve right in front of his face in the middle of the field. How can we have no passes in the middle of the field in 2 games with this set of TEs we have? 

8 minutes ago, Khani1 said:

Or really, let Hurts punch it in himself.

Anyone who watches football who thinks that should've been a penalty on the CB doesn't understand the game. That was perfect coverage by the CB on Reagor. That's him knowing where the sideline is and using it to his benefit. For that kid being a rookie, that was a perfect vet like move. Reagor should've fought through it. That's on Reagor

1 hour ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

Uh oh!  And so it begins.  I think people are starting to wonder the same thing, but haven't said it yet.

right now its just a little thought in the back of my mind. And we need to give him a chance to grow and improve. However if he keeps limiting himself to such a small portion of the field, and we have a few more close losses to teams we presumed to be way better than us, we should be calling for it later in the season.

The fact that we are always highlighting what Reagor does wrong instead of highlighting well...his highlights should be enough to say he is going into Bust category.

4 minutes ago, Bacarty2 said:

So heres my question...

Is It Sirianni not setting up throws in the middle of the field?

Is he doing this because he lacks confidence in Hurts's arm or because Nick's offense truly isnt a middle of the field style?

Is it because Thats a 3rd read for Hurts and he pulls it for that?

You have 2 tight ends that are both way above average and havent thrown the ball down the seam or a sit down route in the middle of the field in 2 weeks

I think it was an issue with Doug's "offense" last year too...so not sure it's a Sirianni thing as much as a Hurts thing. I suppose the All 22 could clear that up

2 minutes ago, Godfather said:

Anyone who watches football who thinks that should've been a penalty on the CB doesn't understand the game. That was perfect coverage by the CB on Reagor. That's him knowing where the sideline is and using it to his benefit. For that kid being a rookie, that was a perfect vet like move. Reagor should've fought through it. That's on Reagor

So even though it was perfect coverage, the play still should have worked?

5 minutes ago, Bacarty2 said:

So heres my question...

Is It Sirianni not setting up throws in the middle of the field?

Is he doing this because he lacks confidence in Hurts's arm or because Nick's offense truly isnt a middle of the field style?

Is it because Thats a 3rd read for Hurts and he pulls it for that?

You have 2 tight ends that are both way above average and havent thrown the ball down the seam or a sit down route in the middle of the field in 2 weeks

I don't think we have seen the full extent of Sirianni's offense. Been 2 games but the lack of (non existence) plays in the middle of the field is concerning. Goedert and Ertz need to be used in the passing game more. Goedert should've had 2 1st down catches but Hurts tucked it and ran

2 minutes ago, Bacarty2 said:

Anyone who watches football will tell you there's a ton of plays that arent penalties and yet theyre called in "todays" NFL I mean "taunting" was trending yesterday because of all the horrendous calls. 

I haven't seen that one called

3 minutes ago, Connecticut Eagle said:

So even though it was perfect coverage, the play still should have worked?

If Reagor fought through it better, maybe

30 minutes ago, TorontoEagle said:

A few thoughts:

Reagor catching a lot of hate for stepping OB on that would be TD....as somebody who played CB growing up, that was exactly what you're taught to do. Keep the WR pinned against the sideline using your hips, and slowly push him OB if you can. It was about as perfect coverage technique as you'll see. I chalk that up more to the defender making a great play than Reagor being some bone headed idiot? There's a lot of vitriol being thrown at him in here it seems. He barely stepped out, it's not like he ran around the CB to go OB and then come back in. Tough play, hopefully he learns from it. 

The Hurts deep ball discussion is funny. The guys with an agenda clearly have no interest in any nuance, the ones who want him to fail will use yesterday as evidence "he has no arm strength". Hurts is just very inconsistent. It looks like when he drops back in a 5 step or 7 step, plants and throws in rhythm, he's got more than enough arm strength to get the ball downfield. When the play breaks down and he's scrambling and then uncorks one, he floats it. That's a problem obviously, but not sure how that gets corrected (if it even can be). Our WRs may have to adjust to running more of a comeback route on scrambles as opposed to running downfield farther (though at least 1 or 2 should be going downfield to draw defenders with them). 

We are a team that will need to ride momentum waves to be successful this year. Against good teams like San Fran, it doesn't seem like we have the ability to make up for those shifts the other way. It is what it is, and likely why we'll be a middle to lower half team this year. It's why Barnett is such a liability out there, he's like a secret player for the other team it feels like sometimes. Just a complete moron.

Finally, we really need a playmaker on defense. I'm OK that we focused on building the offense this past offseason, but we really need to focus in on getting some play makers on defense now. LB is especially weak, but I'd much rather sink our resources into the secondary (safety especially) and DE. This draft appears to have a good stock of both positions. I would love to get Kyle Hamilton in the draft, but a lot can change between now and then.

Overall I actually was impressed how we really outplayed San Fran in the first half. Just absolutely crushing to not come away with more points, and it ultimately doomed us. On to Dallas!

I wonder if Kyle Hamilton is actually worth packaging multiple picks, even multiple 1st for. I know safety, position value, bla bla.... but he may be a generational talent there who actually can be a game changer at the S position.

1 minute ago, Godfather said:

If Reagor fought through it better, maybe

Yeah. Every WR in the league knows how the DB wants to play it. It’s his job to get him inside or to get vertical as quickly as possible between the numbers and the sideline. Reagor gave up on what he was taught because it was too hard. 

Just now, Bacarty2 said:

Ray Diddy basically said the same thing. 

Ray basically said the Lions ate up the 9ers up the middle and Siranni didnt even try

Rookie HC showed up. I remember the sideline reporter said during the game that Siri has a section in the play book for specific plays for his best players. How's Greg fn Ward one of your best players? It's a game he can learn from and forget

22 minutes ago, Mike31mt said:

I have no idea what Ertz was doing there.  Then again, you could say that a lot about 2020 Ertz and I hoped he came out of his little fog. Apparently not

Hurts threw him open there, but Ertz didnt have the awareness that that would/should happen. He made his move back to the ball too late and slipped. 

2 minutes ago, Bacarty2 said:

Ray Diddy basically said the same thing. 

Ray basically said the Lions ate up the 9ers up the middle and Siranni didnt even try

Ugh.

I can guarantee that Hurts isn't seeing the play over the middle and is going elsewhere.

1 minute ago, Bacarty2 said:

image.thumb.png.f7026bbc8fcba5c813f3ab59c7bb540b.png

image.thumb.png.10fe587cfc8f427632b37eb7f8d06d88.png

image.png

I should've been specific. I was talking about the CB play on Reagor

17 minutes ago, Khani1 said:

That's not a bad idea.  Have Dillard sub in.

you said thats not a bad idea, and then instantly turned it in to a bad idea.

Archived