EMB Blog: 2021 Regular and Post Season

Connecticut Eagle

13 minutes ago, Ipiggles said:

The biggest difference in the game; when the 49rs needed a yard to convert, they got it, when we needed a yard to convert we did not get it. 

If you ignore that they didn't get the play off in time but oh well. 

• Replies 75.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, Ipiggles said:

The biggest difference in the game; when the 49rs needed a yard to convert, they got it, when we needed a yard to convert we did not get it. 

Exactly, thats what I kept seeing and it was a huge, huge difference in the game. 

No one seems to be talking about it much -- maybe because we knew the 49er DL was stout and it would be much tougher.  Or maybe people would rather complain about Hurts or Sirianni

But if the Eagles want to compete with an  inexperienced QB throwing to inexperienced WRs, we have to be able to run the ball and yesterday we just weren't

5 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

When I get a chance I'll get those numbers. I wanted to be there for it but had a bit of a family emergency and was in the hospital most of Saturday and almost all of Sunday. My mother had what's called an "TIA" or transient ischemic attack, often referred to as a 'ministroke', even thought it's not really a stroke. Everything's ok now, since a TIA is just a 'momentary' sort of event. 

I'm about to head back to the hospital in a few minutes, but when I get back home later tonight, I'll look at the stats and post them. 

Glad your Mom is ok

25 minutes ago, Swoop said:

He had 6 for 49 and a TD. Encouraging, but I don't know that it was 'very good'.

Fine - but good lord let's not call him a bust because he made one mistake on a route where he did other things correctly.  

1) We're not getting a 1st rounder, so just root for the Colts to get a top 5 pick
2) I'm sooo happy we don't have to deal with this week to week. It's exhausting.

13 minutes ago, Alphagrand said:

Other than the 91-yard throw to Watkins, the offense accounted for 99 passing yards the rest of the game.  It was pretty anemic.  The lack of targets for the TE was alarming.  I also assumed Sanders must have left the game injured because he quit seeing the ball just as he was starting to get going.

I think this post is emblematic of how I felt about the game

I kept thinking of one issue, where a little tweak helps us out and maybe makes a difference.  Then Id think of something else, again it would be nice to have a do-over, then another issue...

I think we need to keep in mind that we're still developing an identity and even the coaches don't know exactly what our bread and butter is.  Its a work in progress and thats exactly how it felt yesterday

2 minutes ago, NCiggles said:

Fine - but good lord let's not call him a bust because he made one mistake on a route where he did other things correctly.  

I've never agreed with that rule anyway.  Reagor didn't go out of bounds on his own accord, or in an effort to create space for himself.  His heel touched the white chalk on two steps.  Once he establishes himself back into the field of play he should be eligible again.  The rule needs tweaking, like a lot of others.

IMO, the bottom line is that we belonged on the same field with a solid playoff-caliber team.

We didn't look like the Jets, Jags, Falcons, etc. 

The HC said the right things after the game.

And....the more we learn about Hurts, in either direction, makes the offseason easier to navigate.

2 hours ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

No One Cares GIF - Sassy WhoTheHellCares Peter - Discover & Share GIFs |  Family guy, Teacher humour, Best funny pictures

Ignore him.  He always comes here to post crap about the Bucs... because he's got nothing better to do. 

6 minutes ago, RLC said:

1) We're not getting a 1st rounder, so just root for the Colts to get a top 5 pick
2) I'm sooo happy we don't have to deal with this week to week. It's exhausting.

Exactly plus pay him 

Just now, Connecticut Eagle said:

IMO, the bottom line is that we belonged on the same field with a solid playoff-caliber team.

And....the more we learn about Hurts, in either direction, makes the offseason easier to navigate.

I agree. I think we're average. That's 8-8ish, with potential swings.

When you have a QB that can't throw consistently AND a top-heavy roster, it means we have to win each game at the LOS and hope we don't get injuries. That's a tough way to live.

An issue I have with Siri that I hope he grows out of, is the pandering to the fans.  The shirts, rocky music comment, calling Philly Philly in the home opener.  You're the f-ing leader of a pro football team.  The sooner you stop worrying about what the fans think, the better.  Nice guy.  Seems like a great dude.  Rooting for him.  But he needs to be above it.  

That's where having a coach on the staff that's been a HC before would help a little. 

1 minute ago, Connecticut Eagle said:

Yup.  I still see the Niners as one of the best 2-3 teams in the NFC.  I predicted them to win by 7, although I thought it'd be a bit higher-scoring.

The defense has been rather stingy through two games -- not seeing the turnovers yet I was hoping for but still hoping.  

The Super Bowl champions beat ATL by pretty much the same margin the Eagles did -- and they were only up 3 points after 3 quarters.  Does that say anything?

We just ran Doug out of town after 15 minutes can we give Siri more than 5 minutes before we do the same?

12 minutes ago, NCiggles said:

That's some projection on your part.  

Maybe. At best it’s poor attention to detail. A running theme with him. 

The biggest thing I feel today after yesterday is frustration. Frustration because we had chances to win that game and the niners got the scores when they needed them but if that’s the level of their play they won’t be troubling the other NFC west teams. I’d love to know what the actual F was going through Derek Barnetts brain when he decided that running and hitting an opponent when there was no need for it. There was a streak of indiscipline from the team at times yesterday which hopefully doesn’t bed in. 

I know it’s all ifs and buts at this stage but the reagor step out of bounds happens in games and hopefully he learns from it. The one I’m annoyed at is the mess at the other end when we got out from under the shadow of the goalposts and looked in good position to punch it in, and we seemed to lose the ability to run plays. The hurts and reagor play when hurts went out of bounds in the corner looked like two guys running the bases and they were in danger of passing one another. And I’ve loved to know what greg ward was trying with his throw to the end zone, where to quote Bob Uecker in the film major league, hurts would have needed a rocket up his ass to catch it.

The team has shown the good and the bad the first two weeks, and now they need to work out what didn’t work and not do it again and work on what worked well, or stuff that can work well if executed properly and move forward. It was mentioned yesterday from several posters as to why Jalen hurts was running late and was it because no one was open. I can post screenshots of the all 22 from gamepass  when it appears because I’m curious also.

12 minutes ago, NCiggles said:

It’s the same dumb stuff with him. Let’s take off the kid gloves. 

Forgot we also had a dropped pick or two yesterday as well

A couple fumbles roll right back to them

Perspective is important, I agree with @Connecticut Eagle, Im just glad that we're competitive and look competent enough to compete

I agree.  Yesterday was not the day to complain about his deep ball accuracy.  His vision and reluctance to work the whole field is the biggest concern.  Most pro QB's can throw a ball 50 yards in the air.  The real throws are the deep sideline passes or tight window over the middle of the field passes over 15 yards.  That's where arm talent really helps.  

I'd venture a guess that it's all or maybe excepted with a single exception.   And I'd venture a further guess that all that are starters can.  Most can hit 60... some can hit closer to 70.   

But, the arm strength thing is far less about how far he can throw it and more about the trajectory.  Throwing the ball with an upward angle of about 42 degrees gets you a maximum distance, but also provides a lot of time for the ball to hang in the air.  The throws across the deep middle need to usually be gotten in there quickly, and so a low trajectory, just over the hands of the underneath LBs (or preferably in a window between them) is preferred, because it minimizes the time for the ball to get there, limiting the closing time for the defenders.   But, then again, there's a range of acceptable there as throwing it too hard also makes it harder to catch... 

Hurts has shown he is pretty good at the 'touch' throws for the most part.  Those are the ones will more loft, but he seems to struggle with the throws that require him to zip them in a tight window.  Maybe that will become more evident as the season goes on.   Right now, he has one of those, the TD to Goedert against Atlanta.  That's the only one I can recall.

1 hour ago, TorontoEagle said:

A few thoughts:

Reagor catching a lot of hate for stepping OB on that would be TD....as somebody who played CB growing up, that was exactly what you're taught to do. Keep the WR pinned against the sideline using your hips, and slowly push him OB if you can. It was about as perfect coverage technique as you'll see. I chalk that up more to the defender making a great play than Reagor being some bone headed idiot? There's a lot of vitriol being thrown at him in here it seems. He barely stepped out, it's not like he ran around the CB to go OB and then come back in. Tough play, hopefully he learns from it. 

That's where practice and game reps come in handy.  He has to line up a step or two more inside, work his route stem more to the inside to give himself more space... but ideally, he's not running that close to the sideline, he really should be trying to run that a few yards off the boundary to give that spot to the outside to the QB to drop the ball in, away from the DB.   He shouldn't be running a tight rope route down the sideline, which then forces the QB to throw the ball to his inside shoulder, giving the DB an easier opportunity for a pass break-up or for the DB to even potentially be able to make a play on the ball.  

Hopefully they go over that in practice (and over and over).  

2 minutes ago, Bacarty2 said:

McManus just posted this. 

Basically said Hurts locked into Smith the Entire time causing the double coverage and totally missed the DG in the under that would of netted a big play 

He's right. The 49ers blitzed, so if Smith is double-covered, like he is here, the correct play is to the check down. 

2 minutes ago, Bacarty2 said:

Basically said Hurts locked into Smith the Entire time causing the double coverage and totally missed the DG in the under that would of netted a big play 

Yeah saw that when it happened.  He is a one maybe 2 read guy, but if he has his mind made up to throw deep, he is throwing deep regardless? 

3 minutes ago, Bacarty2 said:

Yikes.

For the record, when I talked about Hurts throwing it 45 yards, it was about the accuracy of the deep pass, not having the arm strength to throw it 45 yards. 

1 minute ago, RLC said:

He's right. The 49ers blitzed, so if Smith is double-covered, like he is here, the correct play is to the check down. 

Yeah this is the opposite of taking what the defense is giving you. This is forcing it. 

Archived