DeVonta Smith (Alabama WR) -- DRAFTED BY EAGLES #10!

HazletonEagle

Lol people forget out good smith really is. Chase/Sewell/Smith at #6 or bust.

On 2/19/2021 at 9:56 PM, Ray75 said:

Sorry but it’s the complete opposite IMO.

I don’t know where this is coming from but Smith doesn’t have DJax speed, Reagor supposedly does (or should have) and that makes him your " Z " and Smith your "X”.  

Last year two Bama receivers went in the top 20. If Waddle is this years version of Ruggs, Smith is undoubtfully your Jeudy.

Chase and Smith are both prototypical X receivers (contested catches, YAC, good in space). Indeed the Maclin role.The difference; at least 30 lbs!

I respect your opinion but i say Reagor is like Mac in because he is a raw WR talent. Used as big play gadget WR in college. Once Mac was able to work on his craft he was a good WR in the league. Both of them had a limited route tree but that can be worked on. I compare Smith to Desean because he is a long strider, has good route running ability, small frame and fast. You might not think Smith is as fast as Desean but he is close. You have to remember Desean was playing in the PAC 12 (might have been PAC 10 at the time) but Smith is playing in the SEC so the athletes he went against were faster on average and he was making them look super slow. Because of his taller frame it doesn’t look like he is moving that fast but he is. Smith is a burner and will be faster than Reagor when timed on the 40 (no doubt in my mind). It will be hard to compare apples to apples in the 40 tho because of no combine. The 4.2 Reagor ran was hand timed on a social media workout video lol. Love Reagor but I have to call a spade a spade.

as far as where they line up and their size comparisons, I’ll give you that. I was speaking more of their skill sets from college and comparing that.

30 minutes ago, philafan4o8 said:

I respect your opinion but i say Reagor is like Mac in because he is a raw WR talent. Used as big play gadget WR in college. Once Mac was able to work on his craft he was a good WR in the league. Both of them had a limited route tree but that can be worked on. I compare Smith to Desean because he is a long strider, has good route running ability, small frame and fast. You might not think Smith is as fast as Desean but he is close. You have to remember Desean was playing in the PAC 12 (might have been PAC 10 at the time) but Smith is playing in the SEC so the athletes he went against were faster on average and he was making them look super slow. Because of his taller frame it doesn’t look like he is moving that fast but he is. Smith is a burner and will be faster than Reagor when timed on the 40 (no doubt in my mind). It will be hard to compare apples to apples in the 40 tho because of no combine. The 4.2 Reagor ran was hand timed on a social media workout video lol. Love Reagor but I have to call a spade a spade.

as far as where they line up and their size comparisons, I’ll give you that. I was speaking more of their skill sets from college and comparing that.

I respect your opinion too.

Personally I prefer Chase and Waddle over Smith and I would take Pitts over him too at #6. So basically he’s my 4th best pass catcher in the draft but I might be in the minority here.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ray75 said:

Personally I prefer Chase and Waddle over Smith and I would take Pitts over him too at #6. So basically he’s my 4th best pass catcher in the draft but I might be in the minority here.

For me, it's still Smith>Waddle>Chase>Pitts. But really, I am happy with any of those! Just please no QB.

And there is the jackpot scenario: Trade back and then pick one of them.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ray75 said:

I agree on Chase being target #1 because he compliments what we have better. Then it’s Smith #2. If both are gone and Sewell are gone they need to trade out of #6

9 hours ago, Infam said:

For me, it's still Smith>Waddle>Chase>Pitts. But really, I am happy with any of those! Just please no QB.

And there is the jackpot scenario: Trade back and then pick one of them.

I definitely can see one of those kids being available in that 8 to 12 range but I fear it won’t be Chase or Pitts.

I think they should stay at #6. I have that feeling Miami might sign Golladay in FA. Don’t sleep on Atlanta taking Chase or Pitts though. They have bigger needs but could be tempted to go BPA if they don’t like their options at #4. Julio is also getting older...

And how about the Bengals who might address their OL holes in FA?!

9 hours ago, philafan4o8 said:

I agree on Chase being target #1 because he compliments what we have better. Then it’s Smith #2. If both are gone and Sewell are gone they need to trade out of #6

I like Smith don’t get me wrong but I just don’t see an alpha dog, a true No.1 receiver. I might be wrong but I just don’t see it. Sorry! Your are right about that Mac comparison though. 

On 3/10/2021 at 10:10 PM, Ray75 said:

alpha dog, 

WTF does this even mean?

16 minutes ago, jrsu37 said:

WTF does this even mean?

Watch Discovery or Animal Planet and you might learn something...

2 hours ago, Ray75 said:

Watch Discovery or Animal Planet and you might learn something...

Is that where you go to assess football players?

17 minutes ago, jrsu37 said:

Is that where you go to assess football players?

Don’t have time for bashers like you. Sorry! Look elsewhere to pick a fight...

10 hours ago, jrsu37 said:

WTF does this even mean?

You really don’t know what an alpha dog means or you’re just giving Ray a hard time?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Thrive said:

You really don’t know what an alpha dog means or you’re just giving Ray a hard time?

Not easily fazed but thx for sticking up for me. 👊🏻

Love Waddle and I hate that he got hurt because the last time people seen him he was limping on the field in the national championship game. He is a stud and his name deserves to be in the same sentence as chase and smith. But, under no circumstance should he be selected over Smith or Chase. 

On 4/28/2020 at 3:56 PM, HazletonEagle said:

This post was originally made by the one and only @Don Corleone on 11/10/2019 at the old EMB:

That Man Is My Man GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Love Smitty and Waddle for that matter, I would like to see them trade back a little and possibly take one of the two. I'm not worried about his size.

On 3/17/2021 at 4:40 PM, Don Corleone said:

That Man Is My Man GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Love Smitty and Waddle for that matter, I would like to see them trade back a little and possibly take one of the two. I'm not worried about his size.

If you could choose between staying put at 6 and taking Chase (or Pitts) or trading back a few spots picking up an extra 3rd and grabbing Smith or Waddle, what would you do?

8 minutes ago, time2rock said:

If you could choose between staying put at 6 and taking Chase (or Pitts) or trading back a few spots picking up an extra 3rd and grabbing Smith or Waddle, what would you do?

If they can land Ja'Marr Chase, great. I'm all for a trading back and grabbing Smith or Waddle, if they can find a partner. They have 11 picks and a bunch of holes, unfortunately, when it comes to drafting, they also have an incompetent GM

50 minutes ago, Don Corleone said:

If they can land Ja'Marr Chase, great. I'm all for a trading back and grabbing Smith or Waddle, if they can find a partner. They have 11 picks and a bunch of holes, unfortunately, when it comes to drafting, they also have an incompetent GM

Eagles can’t afford to trade back. Grab best player available at #6. Don’t get cute with the maneuvering. Look at the eagles track record when they trade back. It’s horrible 

10 minutes ago, philafan4o8 said:

Eagles can’t afford to trade back. Grab best player available at #6. Don’t get cute with the maneuvering. Look at the eagles track record when they trade back. It’s horrible 

Nonsense, yes, they can afford a trade back. No one ever said anything about trying to be cute, if they can trade back 3 or 4 spots, that's not getting cute. Look at Howie's track record in the draft, it's not much better.

Whether it's starters, or the depth behind them, there's not one position on this team that's strong.

46 minutes ago, philafan4o8 said:

While I do think their odds of hitting on a real difference maker is higher by picking at 6 then if they traded back, should both Chase and Pitts be off the board by our pick (doubtful) and we can trade back 2-3 spots and pick up an extra 3rd, then that wouldn’t be all that bad a move.  I don’t want them to do anything drastic like trade down into the 20s or worse yet out of the first round (unless those 2 players are off the board and someone offers us a king’s ransom to do so).  Whatever puts us in the best position over the next 2-3 years overall to rebuild (despite the thought that some have that this is a retooling, make no mistake this is a 2-3 year rebuild process ... if they want to do it right).

1 minute ago, time2rock said:

While I do think their odds of hitting on a real difference maker is higher by picking at 6 then if they traded back, should both Chase and Pitts be off the board by our pick (doubtful) and we can trade back 2-3 spots and pick up an extra 3rd, then that wouldn’t be all that bad a move.  I don’t want them to do anything drastic like trade down into the 20s or worse yet out of the first round (unless those 2 players are off the board and someone offers us a king’s ransom to do so).  Whatever puts us in the best position over the next 2-3 years overall to rebuild (despite the thought that some have that this is a retooling, make no mistake this is a 2-3 year rebuild process ... if they want to do it right).

Carolina at 8 is the perfect trade partner if they don't trade into the top 5. The Eagles should at least get a 3rd round pick for just moving down 2 spots and could draft whoever is left from Smith/Waddle or Pitts. The Lions are almost certainly guaranteed to take a WR at 7 given how they lost Kenny Golladay and Marvin Jones to free agency and replaced them with Tyrell Williams and Breshad Perriman.

Carolina could shock us and take Pitts or a WR at 6 instead of a QB, so there's risk there if that's the guy the Eagles want, but usually teams trade up that early for a QB. I would only be comfortable with that trade if all three of Smith/Waddle/Pitts are available so you're guaranteed one of the three.

8 minutes ago, eaglesfan0075 said:

Carolina at 8 is the perfect trade partner if they don't trade into the top 5. The Eagles should at least get a 3rd round pick for just moving down 2 spots and could draft whoever is left from Smith/Waddle or Pitts. The Lions are almost certainly guaranteed to take a WR at 7 given how they lost Kenny Golladay and Marvin Jones to free agency and replaced them with Tyrell Williams and Breshad Perriman.

Carolina could shock us and take Pitts or a WR at 6 instead of a QB, so there's risk there if that's the guy the Eagles want, but usually teams trade up that early for a QB. I would only be comfortable with that trade if all three of Smith/Waddle/Pitts are available so you're guaranteed one of the three.

I mentioned in other threads a similar scenario where both Chase and Pitts are still on board when pick 6 rolls around and Carolina calls looking to trade up for a QB offering us their 3rd.  I’d definitely do that deal knowing that one of those two players is guaranteed to be there with the 8th pick (that obviously entails knowing with 100% certainty Carolina is taking a QB).  

• Like 1

I'm really not worried about his size at all. But the decision to not work out at the pro day raises some questions. We hear all this stuff about how hard he works and I'm sure it's true, but he's passing up the opportunity to demonstrate that in a favorable setting. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, brkmsn said:

I'm really not worried about his size at all. But the decision to not work out at the pro day raises some questions. We hear all this stuff about how hard he works and I'm sure it's true, but he's passing up the opportunity to demonstrate that in a favorable setting. 

While I understand people concern, smith deciding to skip a pro day is not as bad as Chase skipping an entire season. Smith as done everything and has nothing to gain from his pro day. Although different position, Sidney Jones career was ruined by a pro day. Smith as more production and consistency than almost every other WR in this draft.

if a team skips on Smith or moves him down the draft board because of a missed pro day then they do not really have a good scouting department. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, philafan4o8 said:

While I understand people concern, smith deciding to skip a pro day is not as bad as Chase skipping an entire season. Smith as done everything and has nothing to gain from his pro day. Although different position, Sidney Jones career was ruined by a pro day. Smith as more production and consistency than almost every other WR in this draft.

if a team skips on Smith or moves him down the draft board because of a missed pro day then they do not really have a good scouting department. 

Sorry man, Pitts is the ultimate offensive prospect in this draft. 4...4...6 @ 6’6” 240.