DeVonta Smith (Alabama WR) -- DRAFTED BY EAGLES #10!

HazletonEagle

1 hour ago, philafan4o8 said:

While I understand people concern, smith deciding to skip a pro day is not as bad as Chase skipping an entire season. Smith as done everything and has nothing to gain from his pro day. Although different position, Sidney Jones career was ruined by a pro day. Smith as more production and consistency than almost every other WR in this draft.

if a team skips on Smith or moves him down the draft board because of a missed pro day then they do not really have a good scouting department. 

My understanding is there will be one more pro day he could decide to participate in anyway. I just think since some are questioning his size, that he could benefit from the pro day. 

50 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

My understanding is there will be one more pro day he could decide to participate in anyway. I just think since some are questioning his size, that he could benefit from the pro day. 

He did a weigh in. He's 170 lbs. That's 5 lbs lighter than listed on Alabama roster. 

4 hours ago, Outlaw said:

Sorry man, Pitts is the ultimate offensive prospect in this draft. 4...4...6 @ 6’6” 240. 

Hate to burst your bubble, but a pro day 4.46 is like a real world 4.56.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Infam said:

And a roster 175 clearly isn’t the same as a real world 170. Not saying Smith is bad, I just think he’s third place in terms of ranked non QB offensive players this year. 

2 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

And a roster 175 clearly isn’t the same as a real world 170. Not saying Smith is bad, I just think he’s third place in terms of ranked non QB offensive players this year. 

Sure, and I think Pitts is the fourth place. After all three WRs.

Rather draft a TE like Freiermuth in the second. He can block.

54 minutes ago, Infam said:

That's Plaxico Burress speed.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, brkmsn said:

I thought he said he will not participate in Alabama’s upcoming pro day so not sure if there is two. 

I don’t think he can gain anything from pro day. If a team wants to see his size, they can verify that during a private workout when flying him out (if they can still do that). The man dominated in the "toughest” conference in college football. Why does his size matter that much? I doubt scouts are that worried about his size. I think fans are more worried than scouts.

1 hour ago, Outlaw said:

1 hour ago, Infam said:

Lol does Sewell not exist?!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PoconoDon said:

He did a weigh in. He's 170 lbs. That's 5 lbs lighter than listed on Alabama roster. 

1 hour ago, philafan4o8 said:

I thought he said he will not participate in Alabama’s upcoming pro day so not sure if there is two. 

I don’t think he can gain anything from pro day. If a team wants to see his size, they can verify that during a private workout when flying him out (if they can still do that). The man dominated in the "toughest” conference in college football. Why does his size matter that much? I doubt scouts are that worried about his size. I think fans are more worried than scouts.

I'm not saying they are still wondering about how big he is. I'm saying that the light weight will scare some people and that demonstrating his work ethic (in a pro day) could quell some concerns. I'm a little surprised by this decision. I figured if anybody was likely to use another opportunity to prove himself, it would be Smith.

Yeah I'm not taking a wide receiver that weighs 175 lbs and isn't even blazing fast. I'm getting Todd Pinkston vibes. 

7 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

I'm not saying they are still wondering about how big he is. I'm saying that the light weight will scare some people and that demonstrating his work ethic (in a pro day) could quell some concerns. I'm a little surprised by this decision. I figured if anybody was likely to use another opportunity to prove himself, it would be Smith.

I understand your thought process but we agree to disagree which is fine.

if his weight and size scare teams, it will scare them even if he participates. I believe he has nothing to gain unless he can come out and run 4.3 (probably not he case). He doesn’t need another opportunity to prove himself. He has been one of the most, if not the most consistent WR in this draft. 

excited to see who takes him because he is going to be a stud.

3 hours ago, Infam said:

You're not drafting Pitts to be a purely inline receiver and blocker.  His versatility is that he can be moved all around the field to exploit matchups, and is what makes him worthy of the top 10 pick as a "TE."  He can work the slot, X, inline, etc.  Freiermuth doesn't give you that versatility.  The gap between Chase/Smith/Waddle and Bateman/Toney/Marshall is not even close to as wide as the gap between Pitts and every other TE in this draft.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Yeah I'm not taking a wide receiver that weighs 175 lbs and isn't even blazing fast. I'm getting Todd Pinkston vibes. 

The similarities between Smith and Pinkston are that they're both black and they're both thin, Smith's numbers are in a different universe to Pinkston's against a higher quality of opponent.

I'm not saying Smith is a guaranteed success, but if you can put up 185 catches and 3185 yards in 2 years in the SEC then you have a way better chance of making it in the NFL than a guy who couldn't break 150 catches or 2500 yards in 4 years playing in C-USA and made Jeremy Maclin look like Anquan Boldin in terms of not shying away from contact.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

The similarities between Smith and Pinkston are that they're both black and they're both thin, Smith's numbers are in a different universe to Pinkston's against a higher quality of opponent.

I'm not saying Smith is a guaranteed success, but if you can put up 185 catches and 3185 yards in 2 years in the SEC then you have a way better chance of making it in the NFL than a guy who couldn't break 150 catches or 2500 yards in 4 years playing in C-USA and made Jeremy Maclin look like Anquan Boldin in terms of not shying away from contact.

I understand all that, just a little worried about his weight. Could all be for nothing just my only concern right now. 

On 3/23/2021 at 9:07 AM, Outlaw said:

You're not drafting Pitts to be a purely inline receiver and blocker.  His versatility is that he can be moved all around the field to exploit matchups, and is what makes him worthy of the top 10 pick as a "TE."  He can work the slot, X, inline, etc.  Freiermuth doesn't give you that versatility.  The gap between Chase/Smith/Waddle and Bateman/Toney/Marshall is not even close to as wide as the gap between Pitts and every other TE in this draft.

I really dont get the 'he is just a TE' crowd.

Pitts is a beast - too fast for LBs and too big for CBs. You can line him up all over the place and do different things with him. Teams that win in the NFL are teams that innovate and do different things to stay ahead of the competition. Pitts is a player that can help you do that.

The only prospect I would take over Pitts is Chase.

4 hours ago, pallidrone said:

I really dont get the 'he is just a TE' crowd.

Pitts is a beast - too fast for LBs and too big for CBs. You can line him up all over the place and do different things with him. Teams that win in the NFL are teams that innovate and do different things to stay ahead of the competition. Pitts is a player that can help you do that.

The only prospect I would take over Pitts is Chase.

Honestly for me, I still go Pitts.  I truly feel this kid's gonna be a stud.  Him at X with Reagor, Goedert and whoever our slot is (please not Greg Ward) creates a lot of potentially exploited matchups. 

33 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

Honestly for me, I still go Pitts.  I truly feel this kid's gonna be a stud.  Him at X with Reagor, Goedert and whoever our slot is (please not Greg Ward) creates a lot of potentially exploited matchups. 

I agree - I think for me it is that it has been a long, long time since the Eagles had a truly stud WR and Chase has the ability to be that.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Outlaw said:

What's wrong with Ward?

Just now, Portyansky said:

What's wrong with Ward?

Nothing. He’s a good 2nd choice in the slot but I think we can easily upgrade there. 

9 hours ago, pallidrone said:

I agree - I think for me it is that it has been a long, long time since the Eagles had a truly stud WR and Chase has the ability to be that.

Eagles never truly had a great receiver for an extended period of time... Carmichael is probably is as close as it gets

I can see what people would prefer Chase and Pitts over Smith and i would agree. But I am not sure why there are so many people that think Smith is not worthy of #6. He is arguably a top 5 player in this draft, as is Chase and Pitts.

the size excuse is ridiculous and makes people look foolish. He has the best release off the LOS in this draft, the most consistent/productive WR in this draft, and he route running in easily on par or even better with Chase, IMO. Chase I think is a better fit for Eagles but Smith would be a damn good Eagles WR as well. 

1 minute ago, Don Corleone said:

Well the Eagles aren't picking 6th anymore, will Smitty fall to 12? I'm not sure.

I think he might tbh

2 hours ago, Don Corleone said:

Well the Eagles aren't picking 6th anymore, will Smitty fall to 12? I'm not sure.

I think the Giants take him.