Carson Strong (Nevada QB) -- UDFA SIGNED WITH EAGLES!

4for4EaglesNest

I'll be honest... I think Strong has upside but I'm just not sure I see the point? If we were to draft him I can't see him playing in 2022 and if Hurts isn't the answer then the Eagles need to decide what to do. Do they draft a QB high next year or do they take a risk with Strong (or another rookie QB from this years draft).

• Like 1

At this point, teams are drafting punters...

Strong, Howell and Zappe are on the board.

Hurts will start . . .  for now.

• Like 1

Wow, I know the knee injury history was an area of concern, but didn't think Carson Strong would go undrafted. He definitely has arm talent and would be worth bringing in to compete with Minshew for QB2.

• Like 3

He may not play a single meaningful snap for us but IM HYPE!!!!!!

Give him preseason games, then redshirt that knee and get him into the film room.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ManchesterEagle said:

Lol - of course you would, but you also would have taken him in the first!

I wasn't against taking a QB in the fifth this year, but that was when we had 10 picks. We still have needs at CB, S, DE, RB, TE and punter, so I'd much rather they focused on one of those areas. 

Either way, Hurts is starting in 2022.

Well, look at that. We've got another QB in town.

An article I read about his pro day said Carson Strong was looking better than during the season.

Carson Strong might be the best QB to come out this year.

842532399_12Strong.PNG.88b7de5fd8602b12bba27df087a16595.PNG

Basically 11 pages of me banging the table for us to draft this kid only for us to get him as an UDFA. Im stunned & stoked at the same time. Cant wait to watch him in the preseason. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, time2rock said:

8CAB23CA-BE3B-41D4-8F1C-A5BF22521C4C.thumb.png.80e4bcb34c96cb2496861862170a5f82.png

It's like Howie read my previous post 😄

Great pickup. Has starter upside and we got him without using draft capital.

1 hour ago, CouchKing said:

Well, look at that. We've got another QB in town.

An article I read about his pro day said Carson Strong was looking better than during the season.

Carson Strong might be the best QB to come out this year.

842532399_12Strong.PNG.88b7de5fd8602b12bba27df087a16595.PNG

😂😂😂

Great pick-up as an UDFA, but put the brakes on. 

2 hours ago, KDUB1510 said:

Basically 11 pages of me banging the table for us to draft this kid only for us to get him as an UDFA. Im stunned & stoked at the same time. Cant wait to watch him in the preseason. 

I honestly am not that big a fan, but I am happy for you. Grats.

2 hours ago, downundermike said:

Finally get to use it

C97F3334-0E04-47BC-966E-087559E4FD75.gif

Always found that gif to be … shall we say … disturbing.  :lol:

19 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I'll be honest... I think Strong has upside but I'm just not sure I see the point? If we were to draft him I can't see him playing in 2022 and if Hurts isn't the answer then the Eagles need to decide what to do. Do they draft a QB high next year or do they take a risk with Strong (or another rookie QB from this years draft).

Just expanding on the thought.  What he does is give them a chance to evaluate him, his knee, and his fit into the offense for no cost.  He MAY give the team another option at the end of the season to add to a) extend Hurts and  b) use resources to draft another QB.  In the meantime, they have a QB with a health issue that needs rest and one that has high end arm talent.  It's really a stroke of genius by him and the Eagles.  He aligned with a team with a QB quandry and he has some NFL talent.  If the Eagles hit on it, Howie is a genius.  If he doesn't, no one cares and they go back to Option A or B.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, KDUB1510 said:

He is definitely a wild card to watch.  It will be interesting to see how much they expose him in the preseason versus keeping the wraps on and getting that knee 100% healthy.  They already know that he has an NFL arm and measurables  That knee has to be why he never got drafted.  How bad is it?

Like I said earlier, it's really a stroke of genius by him and the team.  He hooked on with a team with a QB issue and its a very low cost and low risk investment for the Eagles.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

He is definitely an wild card to watch.  It will be interesting to see how much they expose him in the preseason versus keeping the wraps on and getting that knee 100% healthy.  They already know that he has an NFL arm and measurables  That knee has to be why he never got drafted.  How bad is it?

Like I said earlier, it's really a stroke of genius by him and the team.  He hooked on with a team with a QB issue and its a very low cost and low risk investment for the Eagles.

I think he's going to be fine. He played all year on it and has shed the knee brace. The cadaver surgery he had done is suppose to have a high rate of success. By the time the season starts he'll be 18 months removed from the surgery which had a 10 month recovery time. I think teams 1) didnt want to gamble on the knee 2)dont want a strictly pocket passer. I think had he shown significant mobility before the surgery,  someone would've taken a shot on him. It's a copy cat league. Everyone wants the mobile QB's now. After the Chiefs-Bills playoff game, there was a tweet trending about how some executive said he "Wouldnt draft a QB who cant run in today's NFL". I cant seem to find it. Howie spoke about being different and going against the trend. Strong will reward him for that whenever he gets his opportunity. He has to know in his mind that he is easily the most gifted passer in the QB room right now. I know he's licking his chops at the chance to get behind that offensive line and throw passes to AJB, DeVonta, Goedert & Quez. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KDUB1510 said:

I think he's going to be fine. He played all year on it and has shed the knee brace. The cadaver surgery he had done is suppose to have a high rate of success. By the time the season starts he'll be 18 months removed from the surgery which had a 10 month recovery time. I think teams 1) didnt want to gamble on the knee 2)dont want a strictly pocket passer. I think had he shown significant mobility before the surgery,  someone would've taken a shot on him. It's a copy cat league. Everyone wants the mobile QB's now. After the Chiefs-Bills playoff game, there was a tweet trending about how some executive said he "Wouldnt draft a QB who cant run in today's NFL". I cant seem to find it. Howie spoke about being different and going against the trend. Strong will reward him for that whenever he gets his opportunity. He has to know is his mind that he is easily the most gifted passer in the QB room right now. I know he's licking his chops at the chance to get behind that offensive line and throw passes to AJB, DeVonta, Goedert & Quez. 

Let's hope that the team has some clear insight and he excels here.  There is just no way around recognizing that 32 teams passed him up over 7 rounds (for whatever reason).  I'm glad they did.  I am cautiously optimistic that he slipped through the cracks and we benefit.

It'd be nice if he did well.  I hope he succeeds.  But I recognize this:  He's not a "First Round Talent Who Somehow Didn't Get Drafted."  He's a UFA.  And he's a UFA because all 32 teams thought he should be a UFA.  He's a UFA because, though 7 rounds of the draft, every time a team had the opportunity to draft him, there was another player that they thought would be better.  That's where expectations should begin.

Just being realistic.

1 hour ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

Let's hope that the team has some clear insight and he excels here.  There is just no way around recognizing that 32 teams passed him up over 7 rounds (for whatever reason).  I'm glad they did.  I am cautiously optomistic.

I mean 32 teams passed on Brady for 5 full rounds and some again in the 6th. Now I don’t think he will be Brady by any means but a ceiling of Foles and a floor of Chase Daniel is a amazing UDFA signing. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, 20dawk4life said:

I mean 32 teams passed on Brady for 5 full rounds and some again in the 6th. Now I don’t think he will be Brady by any means but a ceiling of Foles and a floor of Chase Daniel is a amazing UDFA signing. 

Here's to hoping that they all missed and we are the benefactors.  

200.gif

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mike030270 said:

I hope they open up the offense for him in preseason

It's literally impossible to not open the offense up more than it was last year.  Siri has to be thrilled to get a shot at Strong.  

Good job Vortex.

Strong is the worst.