Carson Strong (Nevada QB) -- UDFA SIGNED WITH EAGLES!

4for4EaglesNest

24 minutes ago, CouchKing said:

If we draft Strong and trade Hurts ( which I'm all for ), then Minshew starts the season as QB1.

Not sure when Strong starts, but no need to throw him to the wolves in week 1.

That works too. I just figured if they were to draft him, they'd want to see as much of him as possible before deciding if they want to be all in on the 2023 class. Not like we have a brutal schedule or bad roster this year. Only real reason id see the need to start Minshew is if Strong is having setbacks with his knee. He wants to be thrown into the fire. 

Here's the thing... They are potentially positioning themselves to get a QB next year. So if you use a premium pick (a second round pick) on Strong what do you do next year? Because Strong isn't going to play enough games to show whether he can be the answer. He probably wouldn't get much time, if any, at all. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Here's the thing... They are potentially positioning themselves to get a QB next year. So if you use a premium pick (a second round pick) on Strong what do you do next year? Because Strong isn't going to play enough games to show whether he can be the answer. He probably wouldn't get much time, if any, at all. 

You move Hurts, start Strong and keep minshew as a backup. If Strong has the goods, he will show it within those 17 starts like all the other young franchise QB's have. We have a solid supporting cast offensively, a weak schedule and a weak division. If he plays well as a rookie, you have a legit QB on a 2nd round contract to build around moving forward. If he stinks, we'll likely have two top 15 picks and can make a move on a QB in the 2023 class. Strong gives you someone on a fresh rookie contract with the skill(touch, accuracy, anticipation etc) & tangibles (6'4, rocket arm) you look for in a franchise QB. From what ive read, he has all the intangibles as well. 

1 hour ago, KDUB1510 said:

You move Hurts, start Strong and keep minshew as a backup. If Strong has the goods, he will show it within those 17 starts like all the other young franchise QB's have. We have a solid supporting cast offensively, a weak schedule and a weak division. If he plays well as a rookie, you have a legit QB on a 2nd round contract to build around moving forward. If he stinks, we'll likely have two top 15 picks and can make a move on a QB in the 2023 class. Strong gives you someone on a fresh rookie contract with the skill(touch, accuracy, anticipation etc) & tangibles (6'4, rocket arm) you look for in a franchise QB. From what ive read, he has all the intangibles as well. 

So you'd start him this year? I mean if they take Strong but still plan to look at the QBs next year then that's what they'd have to do to be fair. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Are you asking if the team would still be scouting another QB next year, even if they draft Strong this year and he doesn't see time in 2022?    I am sure that I am missing your point here somehow.  If they drafted Strong this year, QB is off the table next year and he is their guy for awhile.  I'd guess they'd move Hurts while he still has value, since he'd be zero help developing Strong, AND they would start Minshew until they believe Strong is ready.  Minshew gives the team alot of options.

I still say they don't take a QB...maybe not both years....we may be stuck with the bum we have.

4 hours ago, CouchKing said:

If we draft Strong and trade Hurts ( which I'm all for ), then Minshew starts the season as QB1.

Not sure when Strong starts, but no need to throw him to the wolves in week 1.

There would be zero reason to keep Hurts around if they draft a QB.  What value would he have in training up the next guy?   Send him out of here now, so we don't get stuck in a contract year with no trade value.  Some team will be fooled.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

You’ve nailed it. Strong isn’t happening.

Hurts gets one more year and the Eagles have enough draft capital to go after his replacement in 2023 if he doesn’t show enough.

4 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

So you'd start him this year? I mean if they take Strong but still plan to look at the QBs next year then that's what they'd have to do to be fair. 

I'd absolutely start him this year. If he stinks, He wont have the mobility to keep us afloat like Hurts did. We'll likely have a top 10 pick if he cant play. I think he can and would be thrilled to get him in the 2nd rd. His only glaring weaknesses are his mobility & knee. If his knee is good to go, he'll naturally have a little bit more mobility than what he showed last year. This guy claims to be a former member of the eagles front office. He says we only had a 1st rd grade on one QB this year but that player would be too much of a "gamble". Which QB do you think he's alluding to?

On 4/6/2022 at 11:28 AM, KDUB1510 said:

Strong has one shortcoming - at least according to some here. He seems unlikely to ever rush for 700 or 800 yards. If your quarterback isn't going to rush for 700 or 800 yards, he ain't shii er crap.

• Like 1

On 4/6/2022 at 10:38 PM, KDUB1510 said:

I'd absolutely start him this year. If he stinks, He wont have the mobility to keep us afloat like Hurts did. We'll likely have a top 10 pick if he cant play. I think he can and would be thrilled to get him in the 2nd rd. His only glaring weaknesses are his mobility & knee. If his knee is good to go, he'll naturally have a little bit more mobility than what he showed last year. This guy claims to be a former member of the eagles front office. He says we only had a 1st rd grade on one QB this year but that player would be too much of a "gamble". Which QB do you think he's alluding to?

2 hours ago, eglz1 said:

Strong has one shortcoming - at least according to some here. He seems unlikely to ever rush for 700 or 800 yards. If your quarterback isn't going to rush for 700 or 800 yards, he ain't shii er crap.

There is a difference between rushing for 700/800 yards and being so immobile you are a sitting duck if there is any pressure at all. 

Strong is a flawed prospect. Check out his scouting reports. The Eagles are giving Hurts one more year and stocking up for next year in a stronger QB class. Strong isn’t happening.

And if you did take Strong, you don’t just give him his rookie year. A QB needs time.

10 hours ago, ManchesterEagle said:

And if you did take Strong, you don’t just give him his rookie year. A QB needs time.

That's my thing... I mean sure I think they'll probably take a guy to develop in the later rounds who could potentially be a back up but I don't think they'll draft a QB high. 

On 4/13/2022 at 3:10 PM, eglz1 said:

On 2/18/2022 at 9:49 PM, KDUB1510 said:

Matt Stafford - Super Bowl winning QB
17 games, 32 carries, 43 yards, 1.3 ypa, 2.5ypg

Tom Brady- Passing yards & TD's leader
17 games, 28 carries, 81 yards, 2.9 ypa, 4.8ypg

Joe Burrow- other QB in the Super Bowl
16 games, 40 carries, 118 yards, 3 ypa, 7.4 ypg

Aaron Rodgers- 2021 MVP  
16 games, 33 carries, 101 yards, 3.1 ypa, 6.3 ypg

Mac Jones- Best performing rookie QB
17 games, 44 carries, 129 yards, 2.9 ypa, 7.6 ypg

Those 5 QB's combined still had over 300 less rushing yards than Hurts. None of these dudes even averaged a 1st down rush a game. Being a duel threat has become extremely overrated. Most fans and analyst will have you believe that a QB who doesnt run literally cannot function in today's NFL and that's simply not true. Guys who can deliver from the pocket will NEVER go out of style. 

That's because alot of the guys here prefer style over substance. Give me the guy that's going to stand in the pocket and make throws. What we have in house right now offensively is enough for Strong to get busy. DeVonta, Goedert, Quez, Pascal, Miles & Gainwell + a top 5 Oline is more than he's ever had, compared to Hurts who's always had the best and never looked the part. 

• Like 1

On 4/13/2022 at 6:17 PM, ManchesterEagle said:

Strong is a flawed prospect. Check out his scouting reports.

Funny you say that. Here are the scouting reports of the last two #1 picks and Carson Strong. You tell me who's the most flawed prospect. First one is Strong, second is Burrow and the last is Lawrence.

20220414_213044.jpg

20220414_213116.jpg

20220414_213135.jpg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, CouchKing said:

Eagles are drafting Carson Strong in Round 1 !!!

I'd like that. The history of 2nd rd QB's isnt great and i dont know if he will make it to our pick in the 3rd. I think he's a 1st rd talent. According to @TheHonestNFL on twitter, the eagles only have one QB with a 1st rd evaluation but that player would be "too much of a gamble". Some may say that it's Willis but that sounds exactly like Strong to me. He's the one with 1st rd arm, tape & production. The knee is what makes him a gamble. The fan base would freak out if we picked him in the 1st but it would be the right move IMO. I just dont see the eagles or saints being bad enough to get a top 3 pick next year and those teams likely arent giving up the chance to pick Young, Stroud or Anderson. If you love Strong and your medical team clears him, TAKE HIM.

While nobody will mistake him for Lamar, he is still a decent athlete and certainly not a "statue". He was a statue last year because the guy was playing on a surgically repaired knee 4 months before he was scheduled to be fully healed. This dropback was smoother than anything he put on tape this year. He's going to regain the little mobility he had before the surgery/brace to go along with his rocket arm and someone will get a steal.

13 hours ago, KDUB1510 said:

Funny you say that. Here are the scouting reports of the last two #1 picks and Carson Strong. You tell me who's the most flawed prospect. First one is Strong, second is Burrow and the last is Lawrence.

20220414_213044.jpg

20220414_213116.jpg

20220414_213135.jpg

They put "chance taking” as a weakness for Strong, the Jets coaches found that out at the Senior Bowl.  Yes Strong threw an interception because he’s still learning to drive the ball with his leg, the funny part was Strong throwing an intermediate pass.  
 The Jets want to dink and dunk their way down the field, which is why Zach Wilson’s backups played well when he was injured and why they should of drafted Mac Jones instead.

If Strong makes it to the 3rd round, I wouldn’t be surprised if the Eagles draft him and hope they do.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Blackfish said:

They put "chance taking” as a weakness for Strong, the Jets coaches found that out at the Senior Bowl.  Yes Strong threw an interception because he’s still learning to drive the ball with his leg, the funny part was Strong throwing an intermediate pass.  
 The Jets want to dink and dunk their way down the field, which is why Zach Wilson’s backups played well when he was injured and why they should of drafted Mac Jones instead.

If Strong makes it to the 3rd round, I wouldn’t be surprised if the Eagles draft him and hope they do.

I dont care where they take him, just take him. We have the supporting cast to cultivate him into a really good QB. He'd fit the offense Sirianni wants to run like a glove. Multiple people have compared him to Philip Rivers. Back to back Mountain West player of the year. Back to back seasons of 70% completion rate. 5-1 TD-INT ratio over the last two seasons. He's 6'4 with effortless arm talent and his film is littered with Sunday throws. He should be being talked about as a top 15 pick but because of the knee concerns, some team will be getting a steal in the 2nd or 3rd round. I need Howie to actually be the smartest guy in the room and find a way to get this kid in the building. The rest will take care of itself. 

• Like 1

I really really want a QB competition for 2023 if:

A) the Eagles aren’t in an immediate position to get the top draft QBs in 2023 and

B) Hurts doesn’t make a massive leap forward and lock down QB1 in 2022. (Goes back to point A either because Hurts plays at a franchise level or close, or they’re just ok again like 2021)

What are the long term plans for Minshew? Will they really try to just run it back again for 2023? I doubt that Minshew AND Hurts are both long term options. It’s one or the other and to me that’s only Hurts or a draft pick.

The only other option for 2023 is trading up into the top 5 for a QB, and it’s possible the top drafting teams are locked into those QBs, just like in the 2015 draft with Winston and Mariota. I don’t see a FA QB of the caliber of Wilson and Watson available next offseason unless some chaos and drama emerge somewhere, but then who’s to say they even want to play here just like what already happened last month.

What’s clear is that the Eagles are not set on Hurts yet. The best way to hedge your bets is drafting a QB this year and sitting him behind Hurts. And of course Strong is my ideal pick.

• Thanks 1

If Strong is your guy, are you picking him in round 1, maybe at #18 overall?

Just now, CouchKing said:

If Strong is your guy, are you picking him in round 1, maybe at #18 overall?

I would but the eagles wont. The city would lose their crap if he was the pick at 18. Only way i see them taking Strong is if he's sitting there at 51 or 83. Maybe they trade up from one of those spots but i think 1st round is out of the question at this point. I'd love to see it happen though, coupled with a Hurts trade on draft night. That's how id imagine a QB factory would operate. 

Strong might not be there at #51 overall, 19 picks into the 2nd round.

Eagles might need to trade into the top of the 2nd round.

• 2 weeks later...

Will Carson Strong be there when the Eagles pick at #11 in the 5th round?

I would take him. I also like Bailey Zappe there.

2 hours ago, CouchKing said:

Will Carson Strong be there when the Eagles pick at #11 in the 5th round?

I would take him. I also like Bailey Zappe there.

Lol - of course you would, but you also would have taken him in the first!

I wasn't against taking a QB in the fifth this year, but that was when we had 10 picks. We still have needs at CB, S, DE, RB, TE and punter, so I'd much rather they focused on one of those areas. 

Either way, Hurts is starting in 2022.

31 minutes ago, ManchesterEagle said:

Lol - of course you would, but you also would have taken him in the first!

I wasn't against taking a QB in the fifth this year, but that was when we had 10 picks. We still have needs at CB, S, DE, RB, TE and punter, so I'd much rather they focused on one of those areas. 

Either way, Hurts is starting in 2022.