Carson Strong (Nevada QB) -- UDFA SIGNED WITH EAGLES!

4for4EaglesNest

38 minutes ago, Diehardfan said:

Agree. I still want them to pick him with a trade back. 

I just dont think you can wait for next years class. Spencer Rattler was the consensus #1 QB coming into last season. We have no idea what's going to happen with these guys. I dont expect us to be bad enough to get a top 5 pick and i also dont want to spend another year rooting for another team to lose. We also have to hope we can find a willing trade partner in that scenario. Strong is the best passer in this class and has a higher ceiling than Mac Jones IMO, who was the 15th overall pick and by far the best performing rookie QB, despite being the least athletic. Strong has a more powerful arm and would arguably have a better situation offensively if we drafted him. 

• Like 3

Eagles seem committed to drafting a QB who can run... and then to asking that QB to pass 80% of the time.

18 hours ago, KDUB1510 said:

I just dont think you can wait for next years class. Spencer Rattler was the consensus #1 QB coming into last season. We have no idea what's going to happen with these guys. I dont expect us to be bad enough to get a top 5 pick and i also dont want to spend another year rooting for another team to lose. We also have to hope we can find a willing trade partner in that scenario. Strong is the best passer in this class and has a higher ceiling than Mac Jones IMO, who was the 15th overall pick and by far the best performing rookie QB, despite being the least athletic. Strong has a more powerful arm and would arguably have a better situation offensively if we drafted him. 

We just cannot get caught up in that "wait until next year" game that keeps floating around here.  As you said, too many things have to line up perfectly for us to be in position to get a QB.  Related to Strong, no mid-1st round pick next year will be any better, so why wait.  By this time next year, we can have a QB with one year in system and ready to take over (versus delaying for another year getting a rookie ready).  If we wait to draft a QB until next year, it's not one more year of sucking (Hurts), it's another year after that sucking with the rookie pick.  I just can't believe that so many think waiting is a good idea, despite the team's other needs.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Kwahu said:

The throw at 10:50 is bonkers. 60 yards in the bread basket with two defenders near. I imagine Quez or Devonta in that situation and i get really excited. Throws like that is why i have a problem with the "give Hurts time" crowd. You cant find that throw on Hurts film at any point in college or the NFL. I dont think he is capable of making it. Strong is already an infinitely better passer out of the box than Hurts and so is damn near every other QB in this weak class. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

Related to Strong, no mid-1st round pick next year will be any better, so why wait.  

After Young and Stroud, you have Grayson McCall, Anthony Richardson, Jake Haener, DJ Uiagalalei, Spencer Rattler, Phil Jurkovec & Kedon Slovis. As of right now, none of these dudes are better than Strong. I like Young and Stroud but they arent exactly bulletproof prospects and they come from schools that have a track record of producing average at best QB's. 

4 hours ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

By this time next year, we can have a QB with one year in system and ready to take over (versus delaying for another year getting a rookie ready).  If we wait to draft a QB until next year, it's not one more year of sucking (Hurts), it's another year sucking with the rookie pick.  I just can't bnelieve that so many think waiting is a good idea, despite the team's other needs.

Agreed 1000%. Bottom line, we arent getting Russ, Watson or Rodgers because they dont want to be here. You run a huge risk in trying to wait and hope you land a franchise QB in the 2023 draft. Strong has the goods as a passer and wont need to be traded up for due to the league's fixation on mobility. If we could trade back and get him in the 20's that'd be great but i wouldnt be up in arms if they just took him at 15. If we do draft him, we should draft his TE Cole Turner as well. 

• Like 1

Matt Stafford - Super Bowl winning QB
17 games, 32 carries, 43 yards, 1.3 ypa, 2.5ypg

Tom Brady- Passing yards & TD's leader
17 games, 28 carries, 81 yards, 2.9 ypa, 4.8ypg

Joe Burrow- other QB in the Super Bowl
16 games, 40 carries, 118 yards, 3 ypa, 7.4 ypg

Aaron Rodgers- 2021 MVP  
16 games, 33 carries, 101 yards, 3.1 ypa, 6.3 ypg

Mac Jones- Best performing rookie QB
17 games, 44 carries, 129 yards, 2.9 ypa, 7.6 ypg

Those 5 QB's combined still had over 300 less rushing yards than Hurts. None of these dudes even averaged a 1st down rush a game. Being a duel threat has become extremely overrated. Most fans and analyst will have you believe that a QB who doesnt run literally cannot function in today's NFL and that's simply not true. Guys who can deliver from the pocket will NEVER go out of style. The only guy on that list with superior arm talent to Strong is Rodgers. I pray we draft this kid. Hurts aint it and neither is waiting until 2023. 

• Like 3

Let me just say, i wouldnt be banging the table for this kid if 1) we didnt have the Oline that we have. 2)The FO didnt prioritize the offensive line 3)we didnt have weapons that complimented Strong's game. Devonta is always open, Goedert is a beast and Quez is a legit deep threat. They deserve a QB that can get them the ball and that's all Strong does, which is evident by him posting back to back seasons of 70% in the same conference Josh Allen couldnt complete more than 56% in. On top of being accurate and a good processor, he is equipped with Herbert level arm talent. There's no way im passing that up just because he cant run around and get Hurt like the rest of these mobile QB's. Sign a vet WR and draft Strong & Cole Turner and our passing game could be a force to be reckoned with in 2023 and beyond.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

If he’s there in the 2nd rd, by all means pull the trigger. But he’s not worth a 1st, at least not the 1sts that we have.

15 hours ago, KDUB1510 said:

Let me just say, i wouldnt be banging the table for this kid if 1) we didnt have the Oline that we have. 2)The FO didnt prioritize the offensive line 3)we didnt have weapons that complimented Strong's game. Devonta is always open, Goedert is a beast and Quez is a legit deep threat. They deserve a QB that can get them the ball and that's all Strong does, which is evident by him posting back to back seasons of 70% in the same conference Josh Allen couldnt complete more than 56% in. On top of being accurate and a good processor, he is equipped with Herbert level arm talent. There's no way im passing that up just because he cant run around and get Hurt like the rest of these mobile QB's. Sign a vet WR and draft Strong & Cole Turner and our passing game could be a force to be reckoned with in 2023 and beyond.

Turner or Doubs? I would go with Doubs, we need a WR more and would need any new QB to sync with Goedert first.

2 hours ago, Kwahu said:

Turner or Doubs? I would go with Doubs, we need a WR more and would need any new QB to sync with Goedert first.

I said Turner because i think we need a legit TE2 and i expect us to address WR in Free agency. I still think we'll draft one in the 3rd or 4th round but i expect Doubs to be gone by then. I'd love to have all three of them. It's not like we dont have a need at QB, WR & TE2. Tyree Jackson didnt live up to the hype and had two serious injuries. Jack Stoll is ok but i dont want him to be the guy if goedert was to miss a few games. 

• Like 1

Slightly off topic but interesting to see how much a QB class can change from one year to the next:

FB_IMG_1645542433292.jpg

Good thing that we took Lane Johnson with the 4th overall pick in 2013 instead of Geno Smith. Even Matt Barkley in the 4th round managed to make top 5 on that list 😄

• Like 1

1 hour ago, eaglesfan0075 said:

Slightly off topic but interesting to see how much a QB class can change from one year to the next:

FB_IMG_1645542433292.jpg

Good thing that we took Lane Johnson with the 4th overall pick in 2013 instead of Geno Smith. Even Matt Barkley in the 4th round managed to make top 5 on that list 😄

God 2013 was such a crap year for QBs.  People think 2022 is bad!  :lol:

Only 1 QB taken in round 1 that year … Manuel at 16 to Buffalo.  Then only 1 in round 2 (Smith to the Jets) and only 1 in round 3 (Glennon).  

If you add up the total of those top 5 from 2013 it wouldn’t beat #4 from 2012.  :o

On 2/22/2022 at 10:16 AM, eaglesfan0075 said:

FB_IMG_1645542433292.jpg

Cool stats and graphics. Makes me wonder about all the other drafts. 

Probably a handful of outstanding years as well as busts.

I wonder what the all time bust percentage is for first round QBs.

I know there's only one GOAT, but why can't teams find a Tom Brady in the sixth round every year?

Look at 2012 with Wilson and Foles in the 3rd round winning SB's.

Quick Stat: Wentz drafted in 2016 has 20,000 career passing yards. Is that good?

Strong is highly unlikely to happen.

I know most of this board have decided that Hurts can’t be the guy going forward, but I’m fairly confident that the Eagles are still evaluating. They’ve already passed on Fields and Jones to roll with him.

Most draft experts have Strong as a second round talent with health issues. It’s rubbish and premature to say that he’s a better prospect than all but the top two QBs in the 2023 draft.

Nothing shocks me with the Eagles, but I don’t see them drafting a QB with a first or second this year.

I'm okay with drafting Carson Strong at #15 overall. Maybe going too high, but if you want him, you get him.

Don't get cute by trading back, thinking he's gonna be there. Someone will eat your lunch.

Draft whoever you want (preferably whoever I want) at #16 and #19.

Trade Jalen Hurts for a second rounder.

This is a win-win situation. Draft a QB. . . win. Get rid of Jalen Hurts . . . win.

• Like 2

On 2/23/2022 at 6:35 PM, ManchesterEagle said:

Strong is highly unlikely to happen.

I know most of this board have decided that Hurts can’t be the guy going forward, but I’m fairly confident that the Eagles are still evaluating. They’ve already passed on Fields and Jones to roll with him.

Most draft experts have Strong as a second round talent with health issues. It’s rubbish and premature to say that he’s a better prospect than all but the top two QBs in the 2023 draft.

Nothing shocks me with the Eagles, but I don’t see them drafting a QB with a first or second this year.

What is rubbish is assuming that they passed on Fields and Jones because they liked Hurts.  In reality, they reached into the 2nd to get him and had a throw away year to go through, so they wanted to find out if their reach could pay off.  The only reason to keep him in now is because they have decided that 2022 is a long shot to be successful, as well.  Either way, him playing isn't saying that he is anything more than a bridge QB until a real one gets here. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

What is rubbish is assuming that they passed on Fields and Jones because they liked Hurts.  In reality, they reached into the 2nd to get him and had a throw away year to go through, so they wanted to find out if their reach could pay off.  The only reason to keep him in now is because they have decided that 2022 is a long shot to be successful, as well.  Either way, him playing isn't saying that he is anything more than a bridge QB until a real one gets here. 

You do know that Roseman picked Hurts right? It’s not that he inherited him. Roseman believed that Hurts was worth a second round pick, when at the time there was no need at QB and plenty of need elsewhere.

The reason to keep him now is to see if he can continue to develop after a solid first season. 

2 hours ago, ManchesterEagle said:

You do know that Roseman picked Hurts right? It’s not that he inherited him. Roseman believed that Hurts was worth a second round pick, when at the time there was no need at QB and plenty of need elsewhere.

The reason to keep him now is to see if he can continue to develop after a solid first season. 

I said they reached for Hurts (clearly meaning Howie) and that made him the #1 option to play in a lost year after Wentz decided he wanted nothing to do with the team.  That doesn't mean they planned to ever start him (unless Wentz left). It would have been way dumber to draft a QB last year without Howie playing his reach.  They didn't pass on Fields or Jones, although both are better QBs.

Keep claiming how awesome he is, but no sub-15 QB is taking a team anywhere.  He's a bridge, at best.  If we had a chance to win this year, he'd be back to the clipboard or somewhere else.

On 2/26/2022 at 10:03 PM, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

I said they reached for Hurts (clearly meaning Howie) and that made him the #1 option to play in a lost year after Wentz decided he wanted nothing to do with the team.  That doesn't mean they planned to ever start him (unless Wentz left). It would have been way dumber to draft a QB last year without Howie playing his reach.  They didn't pass on Fields or Jones, although both are better QBs.

Keep claiming how awesome he is, but no sub-15 QB is taking a team anywhere.  He's a bridge, at best.  If we had a chance to win this year, he'd be back to the clipboard or somewhere else.

They clearly drafted him as a plan B to Hurts. Taking a developmental QB in the second to serve as a backup makes zero sense. Wentz knew it as well.

Lol - I never claimed he was amazing. In fact I think he’s probably not the guy. But unlike half of this board, I recognise that he had a pretty good year.

Right now I’m of the view that the best option is to give him another year, rather than reach for a QB in this draft or waste resources on a free agent or trade. I suspect the Eagles agree with me.

Its hilarious being convinced that he was drafted to replace Wentz versus as just another backup for the QB Factory.  However, if that makes you feel good, that's all that matters. 

He's the 17th ranked QB according to Greg Rosenthal at NFL.com.  Eagle Eye has a great podcast about it.  No one wins much with QBs outside of the top 10.  He's just the least stinkiest turd in the bowl...a real honor.

It's not smart, but OK to skip QB this year.  It just confirms that it's another throw away year to the FO.  It's a really deep draft in areas of need, so use the picks otherwise and deal with the tight cap this year and be ready to move on next year.  It makes them easier to watch when there are zero expectations.   If they get lucky again and make the playoffs, it's a bonus.

1 hour ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

Its hilarious being convinced that he was drafted to replace Wentz versus as just another backup for the QB Factory.  However, if that makes you feel good, that's all that matters. 

He's the 17th ranked QB according to Greg Rosenthal at NFL.com.  Eagle Eye has a great podcast about it.  No one wins much with QBs outside of the top 10.  He's just the least stinkiest turd in the bowl...a real honor.

It's not smart, but OK to skip QB this year.  It just confirms that it's another throw away year to the FO.  It's a really deep draft in areas of need, so use the picks otherwise and deal with the tight cap this year and be ready to move on next year.  It makes them easier to watch when there are zero expectations.   If they get lucky again and make the playoffs, it's a bonus.

I didn’t say that he was drafted to replace Wentz. I said he was a plan B to Wentz. The FO were clearly concerned about Wentz otherwise there is no way they draft a QB in the second round. And sure enough in less than a year he took Wentz’s job. If believing the QB factory BS makes you feel good, that’s all that matters.

I agree with 17th as a ranking and I also agree that Hurts needs to improve. But you are assuming he can’t. I don’t know. 

You say another throw away year. Maybe, but the only way the Eagles have a legitimate chance this year is if Hurts takes a big leap whilst still on his rookie contract. He probably won’t, but there are no other realistic options at QB that make this team truly competitive 

16 hours ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

IMHO, 2022 would be a throw away year regardless of whether or not we draft a QB.  You'd have to be a special talent to come in and play at a top 10 QB level as a true rookie (using that as the bar as described in your post) - I don't see any of the QBs in this class having that kind of ability.  So I don't think it is the dumbest strategy to use the picks we have to bolster the roster with top end talent in other areas especially since the class aligns with need and use Hurts as a bridge QB for the 2022 season.  If we're lucky we are able to trade for a 2023 1st to set us up nicely to make a move for a QB next April.  But even if we are unable to add another 1st, that shouldn't stop us from being able to maneuver up the board to grab one - we'd just have to use future assets as many teams normally do.  All of that is assuming the 2023 QB class offers prospects with much higher upside.  

11 minutes ago, time2rock said:

IMHO, 2022 would be a throw away year regardless of whether or not we draft a QB.  You'd have to be a special talent to come in and play at a top 10 QB level as a true rookie (using that as the bar as described in your post) - I don't see any of the QBs in this class being that special).  So I think it isn't the dumbest strategy to use the picks we have to bolster the roster with top end talent in those areas of need and use Hurts as a bridge QB for the 2022 season.  If we're lucky we are able to trade for a 2023 1st to set us up nicely to make a move for a QB next April.  But even if we are unable to add another 1st, that shouldn't stop us from being able to maneuver up the board to grab one - we'd just have to use future assets as many teams normally do.  All of that is assuming the 2023 QB class offers prospects with much higher upside.  

Don't get me wrong, I have just settled that it is likely Hurts for another year.  I think 2022 is a throwaway year without a FA add, so ignoring QB is a mistake if one of these guys is available.  Without a trade (absolutely no guarantee), we are likely picking in a similar spot next year and the mid round QB talents next year aren't going to be head and shoulders above the mid round QB talents this year.  Throw away year in 2022 + rookie QB development year in 2022 could make for a good 2023....or we can wait until next year and have that 2023 season be a throw away, rookie QB development year also.  That would be three seasons in a row.  If I am the FO, I am ripping the band aid off this season to accelerate the opportunity to succeed in 2023....yet likely we will gamble with a guy who has significant limitations and has for his whole college and pro career.

• Like 1