Carson Strong (Nevada QB) -- UDFA SIGNED WITH EAGLES!

4for4EaglesNest

I agree with him. I'd swap Hurts for any of the top 6 QB's in this class. I think they all bring more upside as a passer and most bring more or similar upside as a runner(Literally everyone but Strong lol). But Strong is the guy i think best fits what Sirianni wants to do and comes with prototypical size and rocket arm. He also seems to have all the intangibles. I believe the way we threw the ball the first 7 games is how Sirianni wants to do it. Hurts just wasnt capable so Siri adjusted to a run heavy style and we started to have some success. Strong is used to throwing 40-50 times a game and being efficient while doing so. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

On 3/2/2022 at 5:49 PM, KDUB1510 said:

I agree with him. I'd swap Hurts for any of the top 6 QB's in this class. I think they all bring more upside as a passer and most bring more or similar upside as a runner(Literally everyone but Strong lol). But Strong is the guy i think best fits what Sirianni wants to do and comes with prototypical size and rocket arm. He also seems to have all the intangibles. I believe the way we threw the ball the first 7 games is how Sirianni wants to do it. Hurts just wasnt capable so Siri adjusted to a run heavy style and we started to have some success. Strong is used to throwing 40-50 times a game and being efficient while doing so. 

I wouldn't go that far. I like the potential and upside of Willis but there's a lot to be worked on. Pickett to me looks like he'll be a solid pro but I don't think elite. I like Corral but I'm not huge on Strong, Howell or Ridder. I think they are all a bit of a crap shoot bar Pickett who doesn't have a high ceiling I don't think. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I wouldn't go that far. I like the potential and upside of Willis but there's a lot to be worked on. Pickett to me looks like he'll be a solid pro but I don't think elite. I like Corral but I'm not huge on Strong, Howell or Ridder. I think they are all a bit of a crap shoot bar Pickett who doesn't have a high ceiling I don't think. 

And i respect your opinion. I'd absolutely take any of the top 6 over Hurts. That doesnt mean i'd draft them in the first round though. If they were all available at pick 53, Hurts is the last one i'd pick. I'd be willing to bet that none of these QB's will be on the board when pick 53 rolls around. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, KDUB1510 said:

And i respect your opinion. I'd absolutely take any of the top 6 over Hurts. That doesnt mean i'd draft them in the first round though. If they were all available at pick 53, Hurts is the last one i'd pick. I'd be willing to bet that none of these QB's will be on the board when pick 53 rolls around. 

I really want to get on the Strong train. He looks like a potentially really good QB but that knee issue is a real concern. 

2 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I really want to get on the Strong train. He looks like a potentially really good QB but that knee issue is a real concern. 

Im no doctor but i think it's going to be fine long term. Modern medicine is practically witchcraft. There arent any degenerative issues and the screws that were used were biodegradable. He's already shed the knee brace and has been cleared by Doctors with the LA Rams. I dont expect Howie to draft any of these guys but i also dont believe for a second that they are content with Hurts for 2022. They want to throw the football. Maybe Hurts can develop into that guy but im not holding my breath. If we're gonna draft a QB this year, Strong would be my choice. I think people are overthinking it. Dude has completed 70% of his passes the last two years with a 5:1 TD-INT ratio while making NFL throw after NFL throw. I like Doubs and Turner but they arent exactly the guys at LSU, OSU, Clemson, Bama etc. You can say level of competition but then i would ask why was Josh Allen, who was a top 10 pick and one of the best passers in the NFL right now, unable to complete more than 56% of his passes in the same conference? Wentz was the 2nd overall pick and played in a worse conference than Strong and still never completed more than 63% of his passes or threw for 4000 yards. That guy was on an MVP type arc until his injuries. Strong is a more advanced passer than both were coming out with similar size & arm talent but because he cant run, they're worthy of top 7 picks while Strong is considered a reach in the 1st round. I like mobility and improvision just as much as the next guy but ill take the Stud pocket passer anyday. They are tried and true in the NFL. 

• Like 2

My only reservation with Strong is that he looks less comfortable and accurate with the short to intermediate passes. 

His deep ball is terrific, but just as the Hurts run-based O was defused by the Buccs in the play-offs , I reckon NFL DCs will soon cotton on to Strong's weakness and make him beat them with the short, accurate stuff.

Is the Eagles coaching staff capable of coaching up a QB to improve in this regard? Developing QBs in Philly seems to have become a lost art ever since John 'Tough Love' DeFilippo left town.

40 minutes ago, Couch Potato said:

My only reservation with Strong is that he looks less comfortable and accurate with the short to intermediate passes. 

His deep ball is terrific, but just as the Hurts run-based O was defused by the Buccs in the play-offs , I reckon NFL DCs will soon cotton on to Strong's weakness and make him beat them with the short, accurate stuff.

Is the Eagles coaching staff capable of coaching up a QB to improve in this regard? Developing QBs in Philly seems to have become a lost art ever since John 'Tough Love' DeFilippo left town.

Do we really need to force a pick on a prospect that has accuracy issues?  Can they be taught to improve that?  Maybe.  But I think the smarter move would be to draft a guy that doesn't have questions about arm talent / accuracy / throwing with anticipation / etc., whether that is 2023 or 2024.  Hurts and/or Minshew can serve as a bridge QB in the meantime while we continue to build the rest of the roster.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, time2rock said:

Do we really need to force a pick on a prospect that has accuracy issues?  Can they be taught to improve that?  Maybe.  But I think the smarter move would be to draft a guy that doesn't have questions about arm talent / accuracy / throwing with anticipation / etc., whether that is 2023 or 2024.  Hurts and/or Minshew can serve as a bridge QB in the meantime while we continue to build the rest of the roster.  

No we don’t. All the QBs are flawed in this draft. Pickett and Willis will probably go top 11 because if perceived floor/ceiling respectively, but they shouldn’t.

And plus it’s still possible Hurts develops

• Like 1

He seems pretty accurate in short/intermediate area to me. Not sure what film some of you are watching but accuracy, arm talent & anticipation are not legitamate concerns around Strong. Health, Mobility & level of competition are the things people bring up to question if he can succeed at the next level. IMO, His health and mobility are the only legit concerns. He's said that his knee is fine, has shed the brace and it has been reported that he's been cleared by LAR doctors so im gonna go with that. If he can get back to the level of mobility he had in 2020, He wont have a problem surviving in the NFL. 

• Like 1

Trade 19 to move back to the early/mid 2nd, take Strong and collect a 1st in 2023.... 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, KDUB1510 said:

He seems pretty accurate in short/intermediate area to me. Not sure what film some of you are watching but accuracy, arm talent & anticipation are not legitamate concerns around Strong. Health, Mobility & level of competition are the things people bring up to question if he can succeed at the next level. IMO, His health and mobility are the only legit concerns. He's said that his knee is fine, has shed the brace and it has been reported that he's been cleared by LAR doctors so im gonna go with that. If he can get back to the level of mobility he had in 2020, He wont have a problem surviving in the NFL. 

Mobility is nice but it should never trump those other qualities mentioned (accuracy, arm talent, throwing with anticipation).  It is the latter that is going to lead to wins more so than mobility.  But I also think that if you have a QB that has next to no mobility, then he better really excel in those other areas.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I would love him to fall to the 3rd, but I think he still goes in the 2nd. I think teams already have enough data on his knee and are optimistic but staying quiet.

Sit him behind Hurts. Let him grow at his own pace. And what if Hurts outperforms him by a country mile? It is still win win, get Strong some nice little tape in preseason or late in games if possible and flip him. If the opposite happens then we have Philly’s favorite activity, a QB competition next year, and if Strong wins, that’s your QB1 for 2023 with Josh Allen potential. Scary stuff for the NFC then. 🙏 

I unironically love the QB Factory. Howie should aways be looking for QBs every year, every team should.

• Like 1

On 3/3/2022 at 8:55 PM, KDUB1510 said:

Going back to this.  All 6 do bring more to the table than Hurts.  Despite the cries that none are "elite" (unproven), we have to remember that we would be replacing "barely mediocre" to "mediocre" on his best day (proven not "elite").  Every QB coming out needs a little polish this year, but it's not much different than any other year...especially at mid 1st round and later. 

Related to Strong, the internet fodder that his knee is shot is the only thing fueling negative opinions.  In reality, it is likely not an issue or it would be out everywhere.  

• Like 1

On 3/28/2022 at 1:58 PM, Kwahu said:

Nice hour long (!) review of Strong.

The throw at 21:20 is insane. Throws it from the far hash 55+ yards to the sideline and drops it in the bread basket. Nice to see he audibled into that play and successfully executed it. If that knee holds up, He's going to be legit. Howie has tripled down on Hurts being his guy next year so my optimism that we'll draft Strong( or any QB) is dwindling. I still dont think it's a great plan to hope you can trade up for a top QB next year but it is what it is. 

On 3/28/2022 at 2:43 PM, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

Going back to this.  All 6 do bring more to the table than Hurts.  Despite the cries that none are "elite" (unproven), we have to remember that we would be replacing "barely mediocre" to "mediocre" on his best day (proven not "elite").  Every QB coming out needs a little polish this year, but it's not much different than any other year...especially at mid 1st round and later. 

Related to Strong, the internet fodder that his knee is shot is the only thing fueling negative opinions.  In reality, it is likely not an issue or it would be out everywhere.  

Im willing to bet this class will perform much better than last years class once they all get on the field, for the simple fact that they're all likely to go to much better franchises than Jacksonville, New York & Chicago. Honestly, is Trey Lance really that much better of a QB than any of the top 6 from this class? I understand the upside arguement but im strictly talking about playing the QB position. Dude started one season in college at a lower level than most of the QB's in this class and looked really skittish when he was out there this past year. Lawrence, Wilson & Fields are suppose to be franchise guys and they all stunk it up. Im willing to take a chance on one of these guys because like you said, they all could use a little polish but they have significantly better tools in the passing department as rookies coming in than Hurts does as a 3rd year player. Not sure why everyone wants to put their hopes & dreams into the 5'11 190lb Bama product & the Ohio State product when those schools are notorious for producing average QB's. Pryor, Cardale, Haskins, Miller, Mccaron, Mcelroy, Tua, Hurts etc. I like Mac Jones but he's likely to be just a guy in the AFC. Fields has the tools but is in a terrible situation that will likely lead to him being an average QB. Im just not a fan of that strategy. I'd rather take a shot on one of these guys instead of wasting another year with Hurts just to waste another year with a rookie in 2023, but if the Front Office doesnt believe in any of these guys then so be it. Im praying Sirianni sees a little bit of Phillip Rivers in Strong's game and falls in love and drafts him at some point. 

• Like 1

His mobility from 2020 to 2021 is night & day. He's was never fast but had some fluidity and nimbleness to him that just wasnt there this past year. From the looks of his pro day, he seems to be getting back to that. If his biggest issues are his knee and lack of mobility, he's gonna be an absolute steal for someone. Gonna be pissed if he's looking like the next young stud for another team while we're stuck with Hurts.

On 3/2/2022 at 5:49 PM, KDUB1510 said:

This is just flat out nonsense, Willis is rated top 3 in this class and couldn't beat out Jarrett Stidham when he was at Auburn, take away his rushing numbers and his passing numbers at Liberty aren't that much better than his predecessor Stephen 'Buckshot' Calvert, who was drafted nowhere by no one, Howell's numbers have got worse year on year at NC, Corral played One read RPO full time at Ole Miss and still wasn't that good, there isn't a QB in this class that started at a program as impressive as either of the starting jobs Hurts had, Hurt's season at Oklahoma makes all of them look very ordinary and nobody scouted Hurts as a top 15 pick. This year is absurd and some on this board would take an objectively inferior talent because their view is that Hurts is so awful you just have to grasp the first straw that floats by.

I'd take Ridder or Strong as project guys if they were there in the late 2nd or 3rd, I'd take a swing at Bailey Zappe if he was there in the 4th onward, but there isn't anyone in this class worth reaching for.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

This is just flat out nonsense, Willis is rated top 3 in this class and couldn't beat out Jarrett Stidham when he was at Auburn, take away his rushing numbers and his passing numbers at Liberty aren't that much better than his predecessor Stephen 'Buckshot' Calvert, who was drafted nowhere by no one, Howell's numbers have got worse year on year at NC, Corral played One read RPO full time at Ole Miss and still wasn't that good, there isn't a QB in this class that started at a program as impressive as either of the starting jobs Hurts had, Hurt's season at Oklahoma makes all of them look very ordinary and nobody scouted Hurts as a top 15 pick. This year is absurd and some on this board would take an objectively inferior talent because their view is that Hurts is so awful you just have to grasp the first straw that floats by.

I'd take Ridder or Strong as project guys if they were there in the late 2nd or 3rd, I'd take a swing at Bailey Zappe if he was there in the 4th onward, but there isn't anyone in this class worth reaching for.

I guess you missed my post where i said "if they were all available at the 53rd pick(where hurts was picked), Hurts is the last one I would pick". Never said that id reach for any of them in the 1st. Ive said multiple times ITT that Strong is the only QB id move off of Hurts for. That's my opinion. I think it's flat out nonsense that you think any of the top 6 QB's in this class are "inferior" to Hurts but that's your opinion. That same OU offense had two guys go #1 the two previous drafts so miss me with Hurts OU career. The guy wouldnt even have been a 2nd round pick had we not selected him. That same draft saw Tua go top 5 and Jordan Love selected in the 1st rd, who stinks. If given the choice to start a franchise with one of the top 6 QB's from this class or Hurts, Jalen is the last one id pick. 

• Like 1

On 1/5/2022 at 12:02 PM, KDUB1510 said:

This is the only QB im moving off of Hurts for this offseason. 

@Cochis_Calhoun I've been here the whole time bud. All you had to do was read and you'd see that im not "grasping at the first straw" nor am i advocating we reach for a QB. Just saying that if all 7 QB's were available at the 53rd pick, Jalen Hurts is the last one id choose.

On 3/3/2022 at 8:55 PM, KDUB1510 said:

23 minutes ago, KDUB1510 said:

I guess you missed my post where i said "if they were all available at the 53rd pick(where hurts was picked), Hurts is the last one I would pick". Never said that id reach for any of them in the 1st. Ive said multiple times ITT that Strong is the only QB id move off of Hurts for. That's my opinion. I think it's flat out nonsense that you think any of the top 6 QB's in this class are "inferior" to Hurts but that's your opinion. That same OU offense had two guys go #1 the two previous drafts so miss me with Hurts OU career. The guy wouldnt even have been a 2nd round pick had we not selected him. That same draft saw Tua go top 5 and Jordan Love selected in the 1st rd who stinks. If given the choice to start a franchise with one of the top 6 QB's from this class or Hurts, Jalen is the last one id pick. 

The fear of risk and change on this board is really strong.  There is a strong contingent that would rather stick with a known mediocre QB and pretend it's about "value".  That's why they always resort to the "reaching" comment when these guys are all have equivalent pros/cons to mid-1st round picks of the past (that's not reaching)...and I know you said "at 53". We have to remember that these guys don't have to be elite to be an upgrade over what we have.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

The fear of risk and change on this board is really strong.  There is a strong contingent that would rather stick with a known mediocre QB and pretend it's about "value".  That's why they always resort to the "reaching" comment when these guys are all have equivalent pros/cons to mid-1st round picks of the past (that's not reaching).  We have to remember that these guys don't have to be elite to be an upgrade over what we have.

Agreed 100%. Sam Howell was a projected top 5 pick coming into this year. I've seen numerous scouts, analysts and fans admit that Strong would be a 1st rd lock if not for the knee issues. Malik Willis has crazy physical tools that are more worthy of being married to IMO. Corral has a cannon arm and solid mobility. Ridder's mobility rivals Hurts while also seeming to have more upside as passer just from my eye test. Pickett probably has the least upside of them all but is also probably the safest and definitely a better passer than Hurts IMO. Im willing to bet most if not all of them will be off the board by pick 53. No chance id take Hurts over any of them if we're simply talkin about who id start my franchise with. 

55 minutes ago, KDUB1510 said:

Agreed 100%. Sam Howell was a projected top 5 pick coming into this year. I've seen numerous scouts, analysts and fans admit that Strong would be a 1st rd lock if not for the knee issues. Malik Willis has crazy physical tools that are more worthy of being married to IMO. Corral has a cannon arm and solid mobility. Ridder's mobility rivals Hurts while also seeming to have more upside as passer just from my eye test. Pickett probably has the least upside of them all but is also probably the safest and definitely a better passer than Hurts IMO. Im willing to bet most if not all of them will be off the board by pick 53. No chance id take Hurts over any of them if we're simply talkin about who id start my franchise with. 

I'd be shocked if they aren't all off the board by 53.  

3 minutes ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

I'd be shocked if they aren't all off the board by 53.  

Maybe Strong does if teams red flag his knee but i dont see it. My hope is that Howie is just playing the game to maximize Hurts value. We see that not speaking highly of your QB can tank his trade value(Wentz & Mayfield). Howie got a 1st and a 3rd for Wentz after he had his worst season and got benched, probably because he never crapped on him like Irsay did. Same with the Browns and Mayfield. Howie & Sirianni have been selling Hurts as this talented, hard working 23 year old QB that led us to the playoffs and im praying some sucker falls for it. Getting Hurts another weapon would only expose him even more and lower his trade value moving forward. Anyone that has access to all 22 can see the weapons he already has running wide open every week and not getting the football.