Carson Strong (Nevada QB) -- UDFA SIGNED WITH EAGLES!

4for4EaglesNest

What if we drafted this guy (or any QB) in Round 2?  Man, Philly sports talk would go bananas.

This is my guy.. I dont care where they pick him.. Move up in the 1st, move back in the 1st, hell maybe even nab him in the 2nd...  This guy is going to be legit.. 

• Like 2

On 1/21/2022 at 8:38 PM, KDUB1510 said:

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/jordan-palmer-joins-the-show-to-talk-qbs/id1205668403?i=1000548370783

The Carson Strong discussion is from 4:55-16:10. Jordan Palmer calls Strong a "world class arm talent". 

Thanks for posting this as it was a good listen.  Besides saying he's a World class arm talent, I also liked the other positives that he mentioned. 

Comparing his personality to Josh Allen, saying both are fun guys to be around and they're both funny and a little goofy and don't take themselves too seriously, but they are both serious and accountable for their work.

Palmer flat out said Strong was playing on one leg this past season, yet he still performed the way he did.  His knee wouldn't get structurally worse from playing on it months earlier than he was supposed to, yet he made the decision to go out there and play knowing he didn't have good mobility.

Said while he isn't as athletic as some of the other QBs that he does have very good pocket presence and knows how to subtly move around in the pocket to buy time

Thinks his throwing will get better as he rehabs his knee and works on his throwing mechanics, which he didn't get great coaching for that in HS and didn't have a personal QB coach to help him.  So in the right setting with the right coaches to continue the coaching Palmer is doing with him that his arm talent will improve.

His ability to have full control over the O calling protections and plays (said he called a Nevada game on TV and noticed Strong wasn't even looking over to the sidelines for plays) and thinks he's the type of QB that can put his team in good situations.

I think he's the guy, but I also think he is going to rocket up draft boards and be gone well before #15.  Fudge.  If I was the GM and he fell to our pick then this would be me going to the podium to announce him as our pick:

EMB funny Burrow cool cigar walk.gif

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Green_Guinness said:

Thanks for posting this as it was a good listen.  Besides saying he's a World class arm talent, I also liked the other positives that he mentioned. 

Comparing his personality to Josh Allen, saying both are fun guys to be around and they're both funny and a little goofy and don't take themselves too seriously, but they are both serious and accountable for their work.

Palmer flat out said Strong was playing on one leg this past season, yet he still performed the way he did.  His knee wouldn't get structurally from playing on it months earlier than he was supposed to, yet he made the decision to go out there and play knowing he didn't have good mobility.

Said while he isn't as athletic as some of the other QBs that he does have very good pocket presence and knows how to subtly move around in the pocket to buy time

Thinks his throwing will get better as he rehabs his knee and works on his throwing mechanics, which he didn't get great coaching for that in HS and didn't have a personal QB coach to help him.  So in the right setting with the right coaches to continue the coaching Palmer is doing with him that his arm talent will improve.

His ability to have full control over the O calling protections and plays (said he called a Nevada game on TV and noticed Strong wasn't even looking over to the sidelines for plays) and thinks he's the type of QB that can put his team in good situations.

I think he's the guy, but I also think he is going to rocket up draft boards and be gone well before #15.  Fudge.  If I was the GM and he fell to our pick then this would be me going to the podium to announce him as our pick:

EMB funny Burrow cool cigar walk.gif

Glad you enjoyed it. My summary was lackluster to say the least so i appreciate you so eloquently summarizing the discussion. Im really intrigued by this cat. Watching his 2020 film, he's not exactly mobile but you can clearly see he is much more spry in his movement. If he can get back to that, he'd be a great pick IMO. Absolute rocket of an arm. He can put the ball anywhere he wants on the field from the pocket. Strong comes from the same conference as Josh Allen with similar kind of arm talent and while he doesnt come with the rushing upside, he is a much more advanced passer than Josh was coming out IMO. Allen never even completed more than 56% of his passes and only had 649 total pass attempts to Strong's 1252. Strong is coming off back to back seasons of 70% while basically playing on one leg in one of them. I still believe there will be a few QB's that go ahead of him(Pickett, Corral & maybe Willis) because people seem to be fixated on duel threat ability. Kinda like last year where Mac was widely considered a more NFL ready QB than Wilson, Lance & Fields but they all went ahead of him because they had all the tools/traits. If Strong is available, Howie should sprint to the podium. I believe he's the type of QB/arm talent that could turn Devonta & Goedert into perennial pro bowlers and Quez into a premier deep threat behind this Oline. 

He throws the ball so effortlessly(still learning how to throw btw) and i'd really love to see that in Midnight green with Smitty, Goedert, Quez, Miles & a vet WR. I really think we'd have something cooking with that cast. Strong would be on a rookie deal and most likely wont need to be traded up for unless he has the greatest pre draft ever and miraculously runs a sub 4.8 40. 

7 hours ago, KDUB1510 said:

Glad you enjoyed it. My summary was lackluster to say the least so i appreciate you so eloquently summarizing the discussion. Im really intrigued by this cat. Watching his 2020 film, he's not exactly mobile but you can clearly see he is much more spry in his movement. If he can get back to that, he'd be a great pick IMO. Absolute rocket of an arm. He can put the ball anywhere he wants on the field from the pocket. Strong comes from the same conference as Josh Allen with similar kind of arm talent and while he doesnt come with the rushing upside, he is a much more advanced passer than Josh was coming out IMO. Allen never even completed more than 56% of his passes and only had 649 total pass attempts to Strong's 1252. Strong is coming off back to back seasons of 70% while basically playing on one leg in one of them. I still believe there will be a few QB's that go ahead of him(Pickett, Corral & maybe Willis) because people seem to be fixated on duel threat ability. Kinda like last year where Mac was widely considered a more NFL ready QB than Wilson, Lance & Fields but they all went ahead of him because they had all the tools/traits. If Strong is available, Howie should sprint to the podium. I believe he's the type of QB/arm talent that could turn Devonta & Goedert into perennial pro bowlers and Quez into a premier deep threat behind this Oline. 

That's a good point and hope that's what happens.  Another concern I have is Lowie being in love with that duel threat ability.  Look at the QBs they have brought in:  McNabb, Vick, Wentz, Hurts, and even Garcia to an extent. 

Yeah, would be nice seeing this kid ripping it to Smith, Watkins, and Goedert.  I'd probably still sit him, maybe not for the whole year, but to start and make sure he's fully ready in every aspect to play vs NFL Ds.  Palmer even mentioned him having to learn a new system and adjust to reading NFL Ds, so IMO it'd be better for his overall long term development.

• Like 1

The lack of mobility is not a non-concern, but the medical is what will make or break his draft stock.

He has other concerns as well like throwing with his upper body, but medical is the real deal-breaker.

Listening to Jordan Palmer, he's is very high on Carson Strong.

- Arm talent is as good as it gets, and will improve as he better understands how to use his lower body.

- Personality is similar to Josh Allen. Very Accountable, but likeable.

- Feel in the pocket is very good, makes up for his mobility to a degree. Can create space in the pocket.

- Questions will remain about his knee until the pre-draft process is complete.

- Very involved in pre-snap reads. He does not need to be spoon-fed the play and defensive reads.

- Once he understands what to do, execution is not an issue.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/jordan-palmer-joins-the-show-to-talk-qbs/id1205668403?i=1000548370783

• Like 1

Another concern I have is Lowie being in love with that duel threat ability.  Look at the QBs they have brought in:  McNabb, Vick, Wentz, Hurts, and even Garcia to an extent. 

Besides Mcnabb, none of those guys were here more than 5 years(because they got hurt or just werent good enough) and the most immobile of them all(Foles) is the one that delivered us a ring by outgunning brady from the pocket. Maybe it's time for them to switch it up and target a high level pocket passer. Sirianni has had guys like Rivers & Luck and Strong is much more in that mold than Hurts or any of the other QB's in this draft.

I'd probably still sit him, maybe not for the whole year, but to start and make sure he's fully ready in every aspect to play vs NFL Ds. 

Agreed. Beyond the medicals, his ability to perform against better competition is probably my biggest concern. Guys like Allen and Wentz give me hope that he'll be fine considering he's a more advanced passer than both were coming out IMO. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, D-Shiznit said:

He has other concerns as well like throwing with his upper body,

1 hour ago, D-Shiznit said:

Arm talent is as good as it gets, and will improve as he better understands how to use his lower body.

On 11/14/2021 at 1:55 AM, The Blackfish said:

Watching Strong vs San Diego St, if he can get that knee right, his arm talent may surpass Herbert's. He’s using a 3/4 motion now and he can throw it anywhere on the field, pretty accurately. 

That's what's scary. He's not even even throwing correctly right now and it still looks so effortless. Imagine when he learns to use his hips and the ground to generate energy like Palmer is teaching him to do. He's gonna have a top 5-8 arm in the NFL the moment he steps foot in a lockerroom. 

Maybe if Elway was still in charge, I hope they go with Pickett or Willis instead 🙏 

13 hours ago, time2rock said:

Gut feeling says he goes 9 to Denver.  

It will be interesting to see if Nick Sirianni advocates for a traditional pocket passer if we draft a new QB (and if Howie would listen to his head coach before going rogue on the draft board). Philip Rivers was not known as a dual threat guy, although Andrew Luck had decent mobility coming out of Stanford and while he was no Robert Griffin III, he definitely had that ability to get the 1st down if needed. Even though the Eagles drafted Nick Foles in 2012, it was known that they coveted Russell Wilson before the Seahawks surprised them by taking him in the 3rd round.

3 hours ago, eaglesfan0075 said:

It will be interesting to see if Nick Sirianni advocates for a traditional pocket passer if we draft a new QB (and if Howie would listen to his head coach before going rogue on the draft board). Philip Rivers was not known as a dual threat guy, although Andrew Luck had decent mobility coming out of Stanford and while he was no Robert Griffin III, he definitely had that ability to get the 1st down if needed. Even though the Eagles drafted Nick Foles in 2012, it was known that they coveted Russell Wilson before the Seahawks surprised them by taking him in the 3rd round.

I think pure pocket passers these days are pretty rare especially in the college ranks. And look I think you can have a guy who's a pocket passer who can move if he needs to. Burrows isn't exactly a dual threat QB but he can run if needed. Mahomes is the same. 

11 hours ago, Kwahu said:

He has plenty of QB mobility (while keeping his eyes down the field).  He's not the Throwing RB that we have now, but we need an "real" QB talent upgrade immensely and he brings that.

• Like 1

I’m starting to think that he’ll be out of our range in a few weeks. Silly season is near and we’re gonna see tons of headlines about how Carolina/Pittsburgh or some random team is QB mad and will trade up, yada yada. And GMs tend to hatch harebrained schemes out of the blue the closer we get to the draft.

I think Howie isn’t going to trade up unless they absolutely fall in love. But since we can never predict Jeff and Howie…

Strong is starting to grow on me as a potential pick for the Eagles.  At this point, I wouldn't trade up for him, but if he's there at 15 I'd definitely consider him.  I've been all about addressing Defense with all 3 first round picks, but Strong definitely has the potential to be far better than Hurts.

I've never been a Hurts guy, and that hasn't changed.  But I'm with those who want none of these QBs with any of our 1st Round picks.

Fix the Defense.

Use our first 2 picks on Defense. Trade back with the 3rd one to the end of the 1st and pick up a 2nd then take Strong with one of those picks. 

• Like 1

On 1/31/2022 at 3:40 PM, D-Shiznit said:
Surprised by the handsize.

Smaller than I expected but I don't think it changes much about how he delivers the ball - might be a fumbler though, might not as he could've already learned to keep two hands on the ball in traffic.