The Miami Draft Pick Could be Top 8

EaglesAddict

Current draft order has Miami's pick at 3.

Also our own at 8 and Indy's at 9 that would convey to us if Wentz continues to play >75% of all snaps.

Looking like we could have at least 2 top 10 picks and possibly 3 top 15 picks if Wentz stays in the games. The Colts can easily salvage an average record in that horrible division and secure a top 15 pick

16 hours ago, Jeep_man said:

Howie had no choice, Miami would not surrender the 49ers's pick which Howie wanted.  Phins were expecting to make a deep playoff run and it has now fallen flat on their face spectacularly. 

Is that confirmed/reported or just speculation on your part? Just curious, because I haven't read it being reported anywhere which way it played out.

Its why I said both Eagles and Dolphins both would have had an opinion on which pick was more favourable but didn't exactly take a genius to figure out that Dolphins could be one team set for a slide this year and 49ers a good candidate for a bit of rebound. I am sure Dolphins wouldnt have shared that view and the extent of the Dolphins slide is surprising for sure but all works out for us  

11 hours ago, Heavywchamp said:

Looking like we could have at least 2 top 10 picks and possibly 3 top 15 picks if Wentz stays in the games. The Colts can easily salvage an average record in that horrible division and secure a top 15 pick

IF Howie is intent on drafting a QB high, they’ll probably be in position to do so with just one of those 1sts (that likely being Miami’s).  Then hopefully Howie uses those other high picks to address the defense.  But hard to have much confidence in him … more likely he blows those picks.  

23 minutes ago, time2rock said:

IF Howie is intent on drafting a QB high, they’ll probably be in position to do so with just one of those 1sts (that likely being Miami’s).  Then hopefully Howie uses those other high picks to address the defense.  But hard to have much confidence in him … more likely he blows those picks.  

It's sucks that this is a bad draft for QBs. Could you imagine getting your franchise QB and still having 2 first round picks? 

36 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

It's sucks that this is a bad draft for QBs. Could you imagine getting your franchise QB and still having 2 first round picks? 

Do you still just risk it on Strong or Willis then grab a CB and BPA? 

1 hour ago, time2rock said:

I cant really think of a QB in next draft who I'd want to spend more than 1 pick on - who are the top guys now. Willis? Coral? Pickett? Everyone hyped up before the season (Howell, Rattler, Slovis) have struggled.

I would rebuild the rest of the team and have a strong team ready to go for a young QB to walk into. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, DaEagles4Life said:

Do you still just risk it on Strong or Willis then grab a CB and BPA? 

That's a tough one. I want to say yes. However, it will be interesting to see if they can trade a pick and or a player and get an extra 1st for 2023

To be honest, proclamations about a QB class this early don’t have a stellar track record.

A lot of people thought Tua and Darnold were superstars in the making and that Josh Allen and Herbert didn’t belong in the top 10, yet here we are.

It’s best to let the process play out and see if a QB or two emerges from now until the lead up to the draft.

If one or more does, pull the trigger and come what may.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, D-Shiznit said:

To be honest proclamations about a QB class this early don’t have a stellar track record.

A lot of people thought Tua and Darnold were superstars in the makings and that Josh Allen and Herbert didn’t belong in the top 10, yet here we are.

It’s best to let the process play out and see if a QB or two emerges from now until the lead up to the draft.

Don't forget we could also trade Hurts in that case.

4 hours ago, kiwieagle said:

Is that confirmed/reported or just speculation on your part? Just curious, because I haven't read it being reported anywhere which way it played out.

Its why I said both Eagles and Dolphins both would have had an opinion on which pick was more favourable but didn't exactly take a genius to figure out that Dolphins could be one team set for a slide this year and 49ers a good candidate for a bit of rebound. I am sure Dolphins wouldnt have shared that view and the extent of the Dolphins slide is surprising for sure but all works out for us  

I do recall reading a report about this, it was a while back cant remember which website, but apparently Miami made it clear to Roseman that the 49ers pick was not on offer. Reason being Miami felt they would be making a deep playoff hence their 1st rounder would be a lower pick while the 49ers were on a rebuild with Trey Lance eventually taking over during the season, which could potentially net a high 1st rounder. ...

5 hours ago, kiwieagle said:

I cant really think of a QB in next draft who I'd want to spend more than 1 pick on - who are the top guys now. Willis? Coral? Pickett? Everyone hyped up before the season (Howell, Rattler, Slovis) have struggled.

I would rebuild the rest of the team and have a strong team ready to go for a young QB to walk into. 

That would be my plan too, as I also believe this is a weak class of QBs.  I’d try to deal one of my 1s to 2023 … just to be prepared for the possibility of taking one then … and use the other 2 to add elite prospects to the defense.  We’d likely still come away with another late 1st (and possibly a 2nd as well) by dealing that earlier 1 … that along with our own 2 gives us plenty of ammo to target other areas in need of an infusion of talent.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, time2rock said:

That would be my plan too, as I also believe this is a weak class of QBs.  I’d try to deal one of my 1s to 2023 … just to be prepared for the possibility of taking one then … and use the other 2 to add elite prospects to the defense.  We’d likely still come away with another late 1st (and possibly a 2nd as well) by dealing that earlier 1 … that along with our own 2 gives us plenty of ammo to target other areas in need of an infusion of talent.  

Need a team like the saints or Vikings that would benefit from a top QB pick but are too good to get them without trading up, but also have a chance of sucking in 2023. It’s a complicated formula. 

29 minutes ago, 20dawk4life said:

Need a team like the saints or Vikings that would benefit from a top QB pick but are too good to get them without trading up, but also have a chance of sucking in 2023. It’s a complicated formula. 

Sometimes just have to roll the dice … like we did this year with Miami.

11 hours ago, D-Shiznit said:

To be honest, proclamations about a QB class this early don’t have a stellar track record.

A lot of people thought Tua and Darnold were superstars in the making and that Josh Allen and Herbert didn’t belong in the top 10, yet here we are.

And wasn't Joe Burrow considered like a 6th round pick before he absolutely tore it up in his last year at LSU? A lot can change between now and the end of the season. Hopefully someone will emerge worthy of a high 1st, but if not I have no problem going defense heavy and waiting another year to find the right guy for the job. We've neglected the defense for long enough, time for one or two true blue chip prospects on that side of the ball.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Kz! said:

And wasn't Joe Burrow considered like a 6th round pick before he absolutely tore it up in his last year at LSU? A lot can change between now and the end of the season. Hopefully someone will emerge worthy of a high 1st, but if not I have no problem going defense heavy and waiting another year to find the right guy for the job. We've neglected the defense for long enough, time for one or two true blue chip prospects on that side of the ball.

Yup. Four straight years where every pick in the first two rounds was used for an offensive player. The defense is just screaming for quality players. I would not be surprised -- and I think I would actually expect it -- if all four of their picks in the first two rounds are used for defense. 

On 10/18/2021 at 1:01 AM, kiwieagle said:

The trick really would have been getting a hold of their 1st and not the SF 1st.

I am sure both Howie and the Dolphins would have had a view on which one they'd rather acquire / give up but it ended up in Howie getting that call right. 

Amen hope the Dolphins keep losing .

Latest is that a deal for Desaun Watson to the Phins could happen by the end of the week.  If that's the case, hurts the Eagles draft slot with the Dolphins pick.

2 minutes ago, Procus said:

Latest is that a deal for Desaun Watson to the Phins could happen by the end of the week.  If that's the case, hurts the Eagles draft slot with the Dolphins pick.

Terrible for us if that happens. Think they will win this weekend anyway, and Watson probably carries to a min of 6 wins, likely more 

13 minutes ago, kiwieagle said:

Terrible for us if that happens. Think they will win this weekend anyway, and Watson probably carries to a min of 6 wins, likely more 

The only reason Watson has not been suspended is the Texans have not tried to play him.  The second Miami wants to activate him on game day he will be placed on the commissioners exempt list.

36 minutes ago, downundermike said:

The only reason Watson has not been suspended is the Texans have not tried to play him.  The second Miami wants to activate him on game day he will be placed on the commissioners exempt list.

And then when the trials are done he’ll get suspended for half a season on top of that, likely in 2022.

this guarantees Miami’s is a top 5 pick if Tua is gone to the Formerskins as reported

55 minutes ago, Procus said:

38 minutes ago, downundermike said:

I saw the article as well but it doesn't seem to have much basis.

I still find it hard to believe that a deal gets done this season, while there is still so much uncertainty regarding Watson's availability. There's even a chance he doesn't play in the NFL again. The Texans would be stupid to give him away and teams would be stupid to give up a significant amount in a trade for him (aside from the moral reasons) given the uncertainty about his future.

Either way, I'm pretty relaxed about this, can't see that they let him play even if he is traded.

On 10/19/2021 at 1:08 PM, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

Yup. Four straight years where every pick in the first two rounds was used for an offensive player. The defense is just screaming for quality players. I would not be surprised -- and I think I would actually expect it -- if all four of their picks in the first two rounds are used for defense. 

Agree.  That would be the logical thing to do.  That said, I'm sure Howie will blow the first 3 picks on a long snapper, kicker and a great player that just tore his ACL and won't be ready to see the field his first year on the team.  😞

1 hour ago, downundermike said:

John McClain of the Houston Chronicle reports that sources close to the situation believe Watson won't be suspended.  Have to believe the Phins would do their due diligence in that regard with the league before closing a deal for him.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/texas-sports-nation/texans/article/Deshaun-Watson-Texans-Dolphins-trade-16549248.php?utm_campaign=CMS Sharing Tools (Premium)&utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral

2 hours ago, Aerolithe_Lion said:

And then when the trials are done he’ll get suspended for half a season on top of that, likely in 2022.

this guarantees Miami’s is a top 5 pick if Tua is gone to the Formerskins as reported

Can’t see the scenario where they get Watson, give up Tua but Watson can’t play.

If they make the deal now they must have gotten comfortable that he can play until at least the court case works through. Otherwise they’d just wait I think

• Like 1