Kenny Pickett (Pittsburgh QB) -- DRAFTED BY PITTSBURGH #20

The Blackfish

if Howie can control his QB factory addiction this time, they probably go CB, then WR, then fill out the draft with a DL and an LB tossed in there. But Howie... 😆

1 hour ago, ManchesterEagle said:

Nothing is guaranteed, but it seems pretty clear that the Eagles have not yet given up on Hurts by their words and actions. 

You want the Eagles to draft Howell, Corral or Strong in the first and offload Hurts? What if they don't look good in their first year? Most of these QBs will not reach the level that Hurts was at last year. Do you draft another one in 2023? The teams needs some serious help. This draft is deep at other positions. Not a draft to take a QB when you don't need to. 

Actually, I said Pickett, Corral, WIllis, or Howell, if they are available at our pick in the 1st  or Ridder or Strong in the 2nd. I also said to not bundle resources to move up.  I certainly expect them to struggle like any other rookie, but I'd bet their Year 2 is ahead of Hurts' Year 2 and, by Year 3, we will forget his name.  Why would you only give them one season and Hurts three seasons?  Cue "he was just a rookie last year" comment. They are coming in more polished than he will ever be, more NFL ready, and have the basic prerequisite skill sets coming in.  Some teams wanted to convert him to other positions.  LOL. Despite all of the "they aren't good enough" chatter, they are ALL better than what we have.  Isn't that the "getting better" across the roster the name of the game?  This team needs help at QB, just like plenty of other places.

On the other side, you'd like to see what we have in Hurts for another year, when it clear that he is low ceiling.  Cue your mystery advanced metrics comment.  Let's say he plays like 2021, do you extend him with a high dollar 2nd contract?  Or move him?  He definitely won't be worth anything in trade in a contract year. and we are headed into another throw away year with a rookie if he is moved.  How many of those years do we need to do?  And quit paying attention to what Howie says.  Wentz was "just like one of his fingers" and was gone the next week.

Be pro-Eagles (not pro-Hurts) in your process and you will see that there are benefits to looking closely at QBs.  If you want to skip QB, cool...go with Minshew.  If we don't, let the kids play in a throwaway year and get what you can for Hurts (maybe a 2nd or 3rd).  Keeping him is the least positive path, unless he miraculously develops skills in an epic, never-seen-before fashion.  There is no way that the FO should simply ignore the position if these guys are there (like a few of you want) OR bank on it all working out next year.  Pro-Eagles stance right there.  

In the end, you will be likely be right.  We will be stuck with a limited QB spinning around in circles in the backfield while we are running an unsustainable offense.

I'm done here for today.  It's a circular argument.  It's just so disappointing seeing so many want to ignore the most important position in football for a "feel good" moment.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

Actually, I said Pickett, Corral, WIllis, or Howell, if they are available at our pick in the 1st  or Ridder or Strong in the 2nd. I also said to not bundle resources to move up.  I certainly expect them to struggle like any other rookie, but I'd bet their Year 2 is ahead of Hurts' Year 2 and, by Year 3, we will forget his name.  Why would you only give them one season and Hurts three seasons?  Cue "he was just a rookie last year" comment. They are coming in more polished than he will ever be, more NFL ready, and have the basic prerequisite skill sets coming in.  Some teams wanted to convert him to other positions.  LOL. Despite all of the "they aren't good enough" chatter, they are ALL better than what we have.  Isn't that the "getting better" across the roster the name of the game?  This team needs help at QB, just like plenty of other places.

On the other side, you'd like to see what we have in Hurts for another year, when it clear that he is low ceiling.  Cue your mystery advanced metrics comment.  Let's say he plays like 2021, do you extend him with a high dollar 2nd contract?  Or move him?  He definitely won't be worth anything in trade in a contract year. and we are headed into another throw away year with a rookie if he is moved.  How many of those years do we need to do?  And quit paying attention to what Howie says.  Wentz was "just like one of his fingers" and was gone the next week.

Be pro-Eagles (not pro-Hurts) in your process and you will see that there are benefits to looking closely at QBs.  If you want to skip QB, cool...go with Minshew.  If we don't, let the kids play in a throwaway year and get what you can for Hurts (maybe a 2nd or 3rd).  Keeping him is the least positive path, unless he miraculously develops skills in an epic, never-seen-before fashion.  There is no way that the FO should simply ignore the position if these guys are there (like a few of you want) OR bank on it all working out next year.  Pro-Eagles stance right there.  

In the end, you will be likely be right.  We will be stuck with a limited QB spinning around in circles in the backfield while we are running an unsustainable offense.

I'm done here for today.  It's a circular argument.

I agree - let's not go back and forth (and I am already out on any Hurts arguments until after the draft.)

But I agree completely if you draft someone this year in the first or second then you need to give them time. But a lot of QBs don't reach functioning starter level and this is viewed as a weak class where 2nd round prospects will go in the first, etc etc. And the Eagles move of trading for another first next year indicates pretty strongly to me that it's 2023 when they are going to take their shot and they don't think it's a good draft to take a QB high in. 

Now absolutely - the Eagles should look closely at QBs and I think they have in 2022. But if they say like Pickett and Willis, but don't see them as top 10 picks (where they will almost certainly go) then it's not the time to force a pick.

18 minutes ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

And quit paying attention to what Howie says.  Wentz was "just like one of his fingers" and was gone the next week.

Not sure how many times Howie needs to trade, draft or sign a QB while already having the so called starter already on the team. 

Howie will always be throwing wrenches into the QB room doesnt matter who we have. 

I don't think they will go after a top QB this year nor do I want them too... However, this idea that Howie would not do that this year because of what they said about hurts is hysterical. 

There is a a couple of posters on here that want a QB this year, the majority want what I want or they want. 

At this point Manchester and eazy eagle sound like they are trying to convince themselves that there is no possible way it's not Hurts this season. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Talonblood said:

There is always a lot of talk about BPA's that don't don't even fill a need on your team. I like what you say here.

For me- I say take the BPA of the position of need. Makes the most sense to me. Why take the BPA if your teams has filled that position already? Makes ZERO sense. But you have needs, so you take the BPA of that need, not just the BPA who has nothing to do with your needs. 

It's one of  the draft season cliches I hate the most lol. Like when we took Goedert when we didn't need him..... 5 yrs later and we still don't know if he can play a full season as the go to guy at TE. So yet again we had to pay a big contract to a guy that still hasn't had a full season as a the guy 5 yrs later.

That's what you get when you go Best player available not based on need. With Howie I do not like this approach.

What if Tight end and or running back is best player available with both 1st round picks? People would lose their sheet and also how the F do we know who their best player is? We don't, so if people don't like who is picked they will say " oh that wasn't the best player!" We needed this or that! 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Not sure how many times Howie needs to trade, draft or sign a QB while already having the so called starter already on the team. 

Howie will always be throwing wrenches into the QB room doesnt matter who we have. 

I don't think they will go after a top QB this year nor do I want them too... However, this idea that Howie would not do that this year because of what they said about hurts is hysterical. 

There is a a couple of posters on here that want a QB this year, the majority want what I want or they want. 

At this point Manchester and eazy eagle sound like they are trying to convince themselves that there is no possible way it's not Hurts this season. 

There's too much pro-Hurts here.  QB is a problem here and it won't get miraculously better.  5 or 6 QBs clearly have more upside (maybe not elite) than what we have (definitely not elite) and Hurts has trade value this year.  It is what it is.  Life is easier when you have no expectations for the postion.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

There's too much pro-Hurts here.  QB is a problem here and it won't get miraculously better.  5 or 6 QBs clearly have more upside (maybe not elite) than what we have (definitely not elite) and Hurts has trade value this year.  It is what it is.  Life is easier when you have no expectations for the postion.

Meh, we don't know that. Look at last year's class of what was supposed to be one of the best draft classes for QBs in awhile... They all pretty much sucked ass. Now it may be different since they all got better coaches minus the niners but, even Trey Lance looked like sheet with Shanahan. 

Hell a lot thought Fields would be the best out of all of them and he was probably the worst one. I mean Nagy sucks but, he was still in a good QB room with Foles and Dalton. 

I'm still waiting for about 20 posters to admit that they were wrong about 5 QBs going top 10 last year lol. Long story short no one on here knows jack sheet. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Meh, we don't know that. Look at last year's class of what was supposed to be one of the best draft classes for QBs in awhile... They all pretty much sucked ass. Now it may be different since they all got better coaches minus the niners but, even Trey Lance looked like sheet with Shanahan. 

Hell a lot thought Fields would be the best out of all of them and he was probably the worst one. I mean Nagy sucks but, he was still in a good QB room with Foles and Dalton. 

I'm still waiting for about 20 posters to admit that they were wrong about 5 QBs going top 10 last year lol. Long story short no one on here knows jack sheet. 

We'll see.  Good QBs on bad teams and 1st year blues is no big shocker.   I'd take all 5 of those guys over who we are stuck with.    

Good luck on getting those admissions.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

We'll see.  Good QBs on bad teams and 1st year blues is no big shocker.   I'd take all 5 of those guys over who we are stuck with.    

Agreed.  I would take any of the top 5 guys this year, and any of the top 5 guys next year over what we are stuck with.

39 minutes ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

Good luck on getting those admissions.

I'm not expecting them lol

The question isn't whether or not one of this year's QBs would be an upgrade over what we have now.  (Maybe so.  Or maybe not.)  The question is whether or not what looks like it might be a marginal upgrade at QB is a wise use of a 1st Round resource.  Right now we have a starting QB who is passable and who can be a decent Band-Aid this year.  As unlikely as it seems, he might even be able to take a step forward and be better next year. That's not impossible.  But we only have one starting CB.  And we only have one starting Safety (and he's not exactly at the top of the league himself).  I'd take any of the top CBs over any of the top QBs this year.  I'd also take Hamilton over any of the top QBs this year.  I would also take a number of the top DLs over any of the top QBs this year.  And I'd make that choice at both 15 AND 18.  Between team needs and decent prospects who should be available, CB, S, DE, and DT, should account for both of our 1st Round picks and possibly the Second as well.  If you want to stretch that a bit, add in WR and LB, but not QB.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Talonblood said:

And you don't rebuild by trading away high picks for ONE position. You use those high picks to build up the roster.

We are gonna burn 2 first round picks this year or next year for a QB.

11 hours ago, CouchKing said:

We may be able to get away with a mid-1st talent with only one pick this year, but to chase the talent always mentioned in here, we will give up 2 next year.  Whether this year or next, some amount of "valuable resources" are being given up to address the position over other positions.

Our best hope is that Hurts has some kind of other worldly development and we don't need to pick a QB or that Howie builds the perfect team to make up for where he lacks.  I wouldn't count on those.

I am looking forward to not drafting Kenny Pickett in the first round.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, CouchKing said:

I won't say you are wrong....

Pickett's hands 8.75"

Hurts' hands 9.75"

Pickett shoe size 8

Hurts' shoe size 12

1 hour ago, CouchKing said:

Pickett's hands 8.75"

Hurts' hands 9.75"

Pickett shoe size 8

Hurts' shoe size 12

What’s next … a whip out contest?

• Haha 1

On 4/18/2022 at 8:53 PM, CouchKing said:

IF we took a QB this year I don't think it would involve two 1st round picks.  We could take someone like Corral if he fell to 15.  Or if they really like Pickett and he drops to say 10-11 we could use a 3rd plus pick 15 to move up for him.  

• Like 1

If Pickett, Ridder or Corral are there at 15 one of them should be coming here.. I'm starting to lean towards Ridder 

but either of them is fine with me.

On 4/18/2022 at 8:40 PM, Bwestbrook36 said:

I’m an Eagles fan not a Hurts fan. I think it’s more likely than not that we move on from him after 2022.

I also don’t think it’s impossible that someone like Pickett drops and Howie pulls the trigger, but I think that’s both unlikely and it would be unwise.

But even if we take Pickett/Strong, chances are Hurts still starts in 2022.

Bit everything is pointing to Hurts being the guy next year. It’s the people who think he won’t be that are deluding themselves.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ManchesterEagle said:

I’m an Eagles fan not a Hurts fan. I think it’s more likely than not that we move on from him after 2022.

I also don’t think it’s impossible that someone like Pickett drops and Howie pulls the trigger, but I think that’s both unlikely and it would be unwise.

But even if we take Pickett/Strong, chances are Hurts still starts in 2022.

Bit everything is pointing to Hurts being the guy next year. It’s the people who think he won’t be that are deluding themselves.

hurts is clearly the starter.  The only people who think its up for a debate are the delusional posters you mention.  

I look forward to all of these "QB in the 1st" threads going away after next weekend.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ilikepargo said:

I look forward to all of these "QB in the 1st" threads going away after next weekend.

Yeah right, then it immediately starts up for the following draft. 

• Like 1

On 4/23/2022 at 10:35 PM, Bwestbrook36 said:

Yeah right, then it immediately starts up for the following draft. 

We have the 'should we use Hurts as trade bait and extend Minshew' thread to look forward to after he goes 3 for 3 for 70 yards before kneeling to close out the game against the worst team in the league at some point next year.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Trading Hurts is a brilliant idea. (but what would we get for him?)

Starting Minshew . . . also brilliant. (and pay him more/ extend him) 

Probably after we draft Pickett / Corral / Ridder / Strong / Zappe. (gonna be all three daysof the draft  watching what the Eagles do for a QB)