Kenny Pickett (Pittsburgh QB) -- DRAFTED BY PITTSBURGH #20

The Blackfish

1 minute ago, pgcd3 said:

So he's going nail the picks this year and then he's going to nail the QB pick in 2023 even though the organization has successfully picked a franchise QB once in 35 years? Even if that happens that guy will take at least a year to develop which makes it 2024 so half of the team now is gone. Until you get a QB the clock doesn't even start ticking. So might as well keep trying to get QB right first imo

Get a QB for a half assed team? No, you build the team, so the QB has a decent team to play for. But you are entitled to your opinion, and me- mine. 👍🏻

3 minutes ago, Talonblood said:

Get a QB for a half assed team? No, you build the team, so the QB has a decent team to play for. But you are entitled to your opinion, and me- mine. 👍🏻

This team has a good OL, a good RB, a good TE and a good young WR.  Hurts has underachieved with that. The D needs work but I think you can build that while taking swings at QB. I think your approach relies on getting a franchise QB in one try which is nice in theory but doesn't often work that way.  Quite frankly I'm worried that we'll be here 5 years from now still without a franchise QB

• Like 3

1 hour ago, pgcd3 said:

This team has a good OL, a good RB, a good TE and a good young WR.  Hurts has underachieved with that. The D needs work but I think you can build that while taking swings at QB. I think your approach relies on getting a franchise QB in one try which is nice in theory but doesn't often work that way.  Quite frankly I'm worried that we'll be here 5 years from now still without a franchise QB

I hear what your are saying. I agree mostly. After the 2022, either Hurts has blossomed and is an NFL QB, or something has to happen. I don't want to go 5 years with mediocre/bad QB play. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Talonblood said:

I'm not a Hurts fan these days, but I was hoping Howie falls, hits his head, and that causes him to do the RIGHT thing in this draft, and build the team up in the most needed area's other than QB. That means giving Hurts the 2022 season to be the final judge of his future. I'm ok with it. BUILD THE TEAM, Howie.

Yeah that’s kind of where I am at too.  If given the choice between say Wyatt/Walker or Willis,  I’d much prefer one of the former who I believe are just overall better football players.  People will argue you aren’t going anywhere without a top QB.  But guess what … you aren’t going anywhere with a top QB and not much else around him.  Look at both Seattle and Green Bay … both with top QBs … haven’t won a championship in some time (and both have had more talent on their teams than we do).  Teams that pass on significantly better overall players because of their need for a QB end up with the Daniel Joneses and Dwayne Haskinses and Mitch Trubiskys.  I would hate to blow another high pick and hitch ourselves to a player like that for the next 3-4 years.  But who knows, maybe we’ll be lucky and stumble upon the next Josh Allen.  I just don’t think odds favor it.  

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Yeah that’s kind of where I am at too.  If given the choice between say Wyatt/Walker or Willis,  I’d much prefer one of the former who I believe are just overall better football players.  People will argue you aren’t going anywhere without a top QB.  But guess what … you aren’t going anywhere with a top QB and not much else around him.  Look at both Seattle and Green Bay … both with top QBs … haven’t won a championship in some time (and both have had more talent on their teams than we do).  Teams that pass on significantly better overall players because of their need for a QB end up with the Daniel Joneses and Dwayne Haskinses and Mitch Trubiskys.  I would hate to blow another high pick and hitch ourselves to a player like that for the next 3-4 years.  But who knows, maybe we’ll be lucky and stumble upon the next Josh Allen.  I just don’t think odds favor it.  

I figure they have 3 picks and if they think any of these guys has a legit shot and he makes it to them then take it.  I get the argument there but if they finish at 19 next year say then you're probably looking at trading multiple firsts anyway so that drains talent as well.  That's kind of the problem with competing with a mediocre QB you lower your odds of finding a replacement

4 hours ago, time2rock said:

Bingo. Build the TEAM 1st. Make sure whatever QB has a team around him. 

16 hours ago, pgcd3 said:

Franchise QB is a meaningless term, this time a year ago the NFL media was convinced Baker Mayfield was Brown's Franchise QB, right now they're not sure the Browns will even find someone to take him in a trade.

And the fact remains however much the media is trying to talk the prospects up, this is a bad QB draft, maybe the worst in a decade, and there are people coming out next year who already had better college seasons than most or all of this class.  The scouts are never 100% right but they're rarely wrong enough to explain all of this years prospects being so lowly regarded.  Sam Howell is being talked up as late 1st Early 2nd and yet the best the scouting reports can say about him is he's like a Chinese knock off Baker Mayfield who may be an average starter eventually.  You don't find a franchise QB scratching around in the scrap pile, and you shouldn't try just because a chunk of your fan base doesn't believe in QB development.

Also Sanders is an RB with a good RB's skills and a bad RB's durability.

• Like 1

On 3/27/2022 at 8:51 AM, pgcd3 said:

Seems very unlikely

It probably is unlikely but I wouldn't say impossible.  Maybe I'm wired a bit too much like Lloyd ("So you're saying there IS a chance?!?!"), but I recently read some comments from Detroit's GM indicating a QB could be in the plans to sit behind Goff for a year.  Obviously that doesn't necessarily need to come from a trade up in round 1 (or any pick in round 1 no less ... could be their 2nd or 3rd).  But until day 1 is over I am going to hold on to that little sliver of hope this happens.  :-)

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/03/29/brad-holmes-can-see-some-advantage-to-having-young-qb-behind-jared-goff/

The Eagles need more help at defense and they need to stick to that formula.  We need to get younger up front. Cox and Graham are old. They are done at the end of 2022. They better not touch a QB this year in the draft. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Erica said:

The Eagles need more help at defense and they need to stick to that formula.  We need to get younger up front. Cox and Graham are old. They are done at the end of 2022. They better not touch a QB this year in the draft. 

Whilst I don't disagree with you... The issue we have is we need a QB at some point. And next year there's going to be a few teams who need a QB and who will have a lot of draft ammo to go and get one. 

39 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Whilst I don't disagree with you... The issue we have is we need a QB at some point. And next year there's going to be a few teams who need a QB and who will have a lot of draft ammo to go and get one. 

The good thing is you don’t necessarily need current draft ammo to get one.  If you really want your guy you go get him.  Most teams that have landed their franchise QBs via trade up did so with future draft assets.  

• Like 1

I think what everyone fails to remember is it does not matter what you want, or what I want or how we think the Eagles should or shouldnt use their resources. Its all on Howie and Lurie. If they want Pickett, they will get Pickett. We can hope, but we all know that has not helped in the past. 

I like Pickett at 15 BUT I have a gut feeling they will move up to pick #4 with the Jets to take Pickett. No, I don't think he is worth giving up say 15 and 19 to get there but it is still my gut feeling on what will happen. 

16 hours ago, DeathByEagle said:

I think what everyone fails to remember is it does not matter what you want, or what I want or how we think the Eagles should or shouldnt use their resources. Its all on Howie and Lurie. If they want Pickett, they will get Pickett. We can hope, but we all know that has not helped in the past. 

I like Pickett at 15 BUT I have a gut feeling they will move up to pick #4 with the Jets to take Pickett. No, I don't think he is worth giving up say 15 and 19 to get there but it is still my gut feeling on what will happen. 

WOW!  Clear up to #4 for Pickett?  I like him, but that is counting on him being a game changing talent type of trade.  

1 hour ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

WOW!  Clear up to #4 for Pickett?  I like him, but that is counting on him being a game changing talent type of trade.  

As I noted, I like Pickett as well but not at number 4. However my gut says by draft day as it always does, the QB market will take over and QB values will jump as they always do. Howie will look to get his guy and who better to move up with then Joe Douglas who has ties with the Eagles and the team who said they want to move out of number 4. A team that does not need a QB, has holes to fill and also has 2 top 10 picks already. It just looks like a Howie type of deal he would make. 

• Like 1

On 3/27/2022 at 4:42 AM, time2rock said:

I have been hoping that Detroit may not feel Goff is the guy and has their eyes on a QB that drops to our pick and decides to trade up from either 32 or 34 to get him giving us their 2023 1st in the process.  That would almost surely set us up nicely for a QB next year as it seems reasonable to expect they are going to stink yet again.  

Here Kempski kinda outlines why it's dumb for teams to trade their 2023 1st

https://www.phillyvoice.com/recent-history-teams-trading-back-nfl-draft-and-acquiring-future-first-round-pick/

Therein lies the problem

42 minutes ago, pgcd3 said:

https://www.phillyvoice.com/recent-history-teams-trading-back-nfl-draft-and-acquiring-future-first-round-pick/

Therein lies the problem

I could see Detroit doing it, but I don't know Pickett makes it past Houston to 15 and given their relative skillsets I don't think you'd take Willis to sit behind Goff, beyond that they can probably wait until 34 and pick up one of the others.

I now very definitely do not want any QB in the first.  We have too many issues to address to be jumping right back onto the QB merry-go-'round this year.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, pgcd3 said:

Therein lies the problem

"Hence, logic would dictate that other teams won't be willing to mortgage their future by moving up for one in this draft. Maybe some team would move up for some other positional player, like the Saints' moronic trade for Marcus Davenport in 2018? Eh.

So to conclude, if you're hoping that the Eagles are able to trade back with one of their three first-round picks and score a first-round pick in 2023 in the process, it's possible, I suppose, if you can find some dope trade partner, but I wouldn't get your hopes up."

staples-easy-button.gif

3 hours ago, ilikepargo said:

I now very definitely do not want any QB in the first.  We have too many issues to address to be jumping right back onto the QB merry-go-'round this year.

I have been one of "those guys” that didn’t want a QB this year long before this trade with NO.  I’m really want them to address other positions - strong class for DL and WR … both positions of biggest need.  Plus want to see if Hurts does take that next step in his development.  Most are certain he can’t.  I am not certain he can but I also don’t think it is impossible he can’t.  Since we are more than a single offseason from completing the roster rebuild project, I am more than happy to give Hurts another year to get a better idea.  If we have as many questions about him a year from now that we do now, we are now positioned nicely to make a run at a QB net April.  I am so extremely delighted with this.  

• Like 1

Think the trade points to us rolling with hurts again this year. I’m a fan of it.

• Like 1

Eagles at #15 and #18. Saints at #16 and #19 in the first.

New Orleans has just about the same first round ammo to trade up as we do.

Saints are now a player. Maybe the Saints trade up for the #4 pick.

And, that would give the Joe Douglas and the Jets 3 first round picks.

On a side note, Detroit is talking maybe taking QB Malik Willis at the #2 pick.

Maybe Detroit is fishing for an interested trade partner (CAR, ATL).

The trading ain't over yet. I think it's just getting warmed up.

If the Panthers don’t draft Pickett, and he’s there around pick 10, I could see the Eagles trading up to get him.   At this point the Smokescreen might be them taking a QB. 

My gut feeling still hasnt changed, even after the Saints trade. I think Pickett is the Eagles top target in this draft.